Grunge Tourism In The Land Of Genghis...

Grunge Tourism In The Land Of Genghis Khan: Mongolia

Posted in the Travel Forum

“Try everything”

Since: Nov 12

Sydney, beautiful Sydney

#1 Nov 19, 2012
Back in the Capital of Mongolia, Ulaanbaatar my 14 year old daughter dived for the internet, something she'd been denied for the past two weeks.

After starting to chat on facebook, she turned to me with a look of horror, "Daniel has been sitting at the Louvre in Paris, eating pastries and where did you take me? Bloody Mongolia." I agreed.

Mongolia is a country that was closed off from the world until a few decades ago.

Today, still, 30% of the population live a nomadic lifestyle.

From the Gobi desert to the north where the lakes form a barrier between Mongolia and Siberia, this has to be a must see country; that is if you can tolerate peeing behind a desert bush, sleeping in gers where the ice wind blows through every nook and cranny.

Beyond doubt the highlight of a Mongolian adventure would have to be the Naadam Festival where nomads emerge from living through the ice cold winter to fight as the warriors of Genghis Khan once did.

In their tight tight clothing that hides nothing, men face men with muscles of steel. They face off each other with their bare hands to strip the other of their footing and their dignity.

Rumors fly around to the tourists that their tight, tight clothing is demanded as at one festival each warrior was wrestled to the ground by a hero who was later discovered to be a woman. To stop this ever happening again, now the clothes hide nothing!

Couldn't recommend it more. Its a hoot!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Travel Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The President has failed us (Jun '12) 39 min woodtick57 384,194
News Gay sex - disgusts Allah and causes earthquakes... 1 hr Rosa_Winkel 6
News From Travelgate to Furnituregate: Your guide to... 2 hr Three Rounds 1
News 16-year-old girl 'gang raped' at rave, photos p... (Sep '10) 7 hr FeminismRuinsSex 133
News Budget fight leaves Illinois stuck with overdue... 14 hr Danl Boone 18
News Bayer teams with CDC to fight Zika 16 hr Go Blue Forever 1
News Take a Virtual Stroll Through Marseille With Go... (May '14) 17 hr Anthony Scarpuzzi... 2
More from around the web