8,000-year-old seal unearthed in west...

8,000-year-old seal unearthed in western Turkey

There are 24 comments on the Freerepublic.com story from Sep 20, 2010, titled 8,000-year-old seal unearthed in western Turkey. In it, Freerepublic.com reports that:

The seal shows that the settlement in Izmir began some 8,500 year ago. Archaeologists have unearthed a seal believed to be 8,000 years old during excavations in the Yesilova Tumulus, one of the oldest settlements in western Turkey.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Freerepublic.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#1 Sep 20, 2010
"This bull-shaped seal is one of the oldest seals ever unearthed in Anatolia"
Remember I said "Izmir is 10 000 years old Turkish city"?
I will double it now after this finding,Izmir is 20 000 years old Turkish city
Athens calling

Athens, Greece

#2 Sep 21, 2010
Western Turkey was STOLEN from Greece, and it is logical to be full of protohellenic civilisation antiquities.

Since: May 09

Los Angeles, CA

#3 Sep 21, 2010
"Ismir" is taken from the Greek "Smyrna". The city was originally founded by Greeks. Turks had nothing to do with the city till the mid 1400's when they stole it from the Greeks and by 1922 had kicked out 99% of the Greeks.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#5 Sep 21, 2010
Athens calling wrote:
Western Turkey was STOLEN from Greece, and it is logical to be full of protohellenic civilisation antiquities.
Which Greece?Greece is 200 years old

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#6 Sep 21, 2010
Stelios wrote:
"Ismir" is taken from the Greek "Smyrna". The city was originally founded by Greeks. Turks had nothing to do with the city till the mid 1400's when they stole it from the Greeks and by 1922 had kicked out 99% of the Greeks.
Isi(Heat)+Ma+eri like Isi(heat)+tan(God)+Bolu is set up by Turks.That is why there are seals shaped like Bulls(Symbol animal of Turks) in Izmir.
TurkoMongolfagos

Tampa, FL

#7 Sep 21, 2010
Was the seal Erdogan's wife, or maybe Turgut Ozal, Suleiman Demirel or Mustafas Kimas Attaturd? Some of the best turkish jewels ever existed.
Oguz Mongolia

Burbank, CA

#8 Sep 21, 2010
Akilli wrote:
<quoted text>Isi(Heat)+Ma+eri like Isi(heat)+tan(God)+Bolu is set up by Turks.That is why there are seals shaped like Bulls(Symbol animal of Turks) in Izmir.
No, no, no Akhil,

Izmir means

I - Invading
Z - Zoo
of
M - Mongols
I - into
R - Rumeli

Didn't you learn your history?

Since: May 09

Los Angeles, CA

#9 Sep 22, 2010
Akilli wrote:
<quoted text>Isi(Heat)+Ma+eri like Isi(heat)+tan(God)+Bolu is set up by Turks.That is why there are seals shaped like Bulls(Symbol animal of Turks) in Izmir.
lol...nice try but you fail...I thought "gay wolves" were the animal symbols of Turks?

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#10 Sep 22, 2010
Stelios wrote:
<quoted text>lol...nice try but you fail...I thought "gay wolves" were the animal symbols of Turks?
Here,let this be translated for you:
Oguz Kagan’in vücut tasvirinde kullanilan
“ayaklari öküz ayagi gibi, beli kurt
beli gibi, omuzlari samur omuzu gibi, gögsü
ayi gögsü gibi idi. Vücûdu bastan asagi
tüylü idi” gibi ifadelerde hayvanlarin ön
plana çiktigi görülmektedir (Ergin 1988:
13-14). Oguz’un yüz tasvirinde oldugu gibi
vücut tasvirinde de kullanilan ifadeler,
belirli bir düsünce yapisinmin yansimasidir.
Destanin yaratildigi çevrede fiziki gücü,
vücut kuvvetini en üst düzeyde yansitabilen
varliklar hayvanlardir. Bunlar arasinda
da çesitli uzuvlariyla ön plana çikmis
ve takdir kazanmis hayvanlar tercih edilmi&#351;tir.
Oguz’un vücudu tek bir hayvana
benzetilebilirdi, ancak bunun yerine her
hayvanin en güçlü yeri seçilerek bir vücut
olu&#351;turulmustur. Oguz Kagan Destani’ni
yorumlayanlardan D. Sinor, bu tasvirlere
bakarak Oguz’un aslinda insan olmadigini,
tanrila&#351;tirilmis bir hayvan,“öküz” oldugunu
ileri sürmüstür (Kaplan 1976: 65).
http://www.millifolklor.com/tr/sayfalar/76/50...

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#11 Sep 22, 2010
Stelios wrote:
<quoted text>lol...nice try but you fail...I thought "gay wolves" were the animal symbols of Turks?
Thousands of years old Turkish books confirm that both wolf and bull together were the symbols of Turks.
When the 4th crusaders invaded Istanbul(A pre-dominantly Turkish city of then) they melted the sacred wolf statue and the bull statue of the city.The western historians claim that they did so because they wanted to obtain metal.But no one can explain why they did not melt this one,the symbol of Zionists:
http://tr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Y%C4%B1lanl%C4%B...
TurkoMongolfagos

Tampa, FL

#12 Sep 22, 2010
Because they would rather deal with Zionists than Islamist sh*theads like you...

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#13 Sep 22, 2010
TurkoMongolfagos wrote:
Because they would rather deal with Zionists than Islamist sh*theads like you...
And the Zionists raped all the Christian women of Istanbul during the 4th crusade.What pricks are for the camel,dicks suit the same for the Christians.
Ringo

Old Lyme, CT

#14 Sep 22, 2010
First of all, nobody wants to deal with Zionists, not even Zionists. They're nuts, gaga. Some rogue synapses or perhaps pre-Alzheimers proteins have hijacked their otherwise serviceable cognitve processes. Zionism is not a movement or a political stance, it's a diagnosis. It's like Tourettes. As such, it's best ignored. In the best of all possible worlds it will simply go away and join the Tea Party or the circus or something. Now that that's been put to bed, the question remains: since when do seals live to be 8,000 years old? Is this some kind of joke? How is it even possible??? Why isn't this all over the media??? I'll take my answer off the air.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#15 Sep 22, 2010
Ringo wrote:
First of all, nobody wants to deal with Zionists, not even Zionists. They're nuts, gaga. Some rogue synapses or perhaps pre-Alzheimers proteins have hijacked their otherwise serviceable cognitve processes. Zionism is not a movement or a political stance, it's a diagnosis. It's like Tourettes. As such, it's best ignored. In the best of all possible worlds it will simply go away and join the Tea Party or the circus or something. Now that that's been put to bed, the question remains: since when do seals live to be 8,000 years old? Is this some kind of joke? How is it even possible??? Why isn't this all over the media??? I'll take my answer off the air.
For your information Hurriyet is the biggest newspaper in Turkey.
Second,you got the same mentality with the writer Aziz Nesin's book "Dur bakalim ne olacak?"'s hero.
abc

Santa Clara, CA

#16 Sep 22, 2010
Akilli wrote:
<quoted text>Which Greece?Greece is 200 years old
greece no old 200 years,greece old 199 years

Since: May 09

Los Angeles, CA

#17 Sep 22, 2010
Akilli wrote:
<quoted text>Thousands of years old Turkish books confirm that both wolf and bull together were the symbols of Turks.
When the 4th crusaders invaded Istanbul(A pre-dominantly Turkish city of then) they melted the sacred wolf statue and the bull statue of the city.The western historians claim that they did so because they wanted to obtain metal.But no one can explain why they did not melt this one,the symbol of Zionists:
http://tr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Y%C4%B1lanl%C4%B...
lol...the Turks were nowhere near Constantinople at the time of the 4th crusade...predominantly Turkish city then??? LMAO!!! You are embarrassing your fellow Turks, Akilli.
Big Bertha

Garden City, NY

#18 Sep 22, 2010
The poor seal must have washed up from the Mediterranean. Why wasn't it fossilized? It breaks my heart to think it was a mother seal who left behind a cub to starve.
Ringo

Old Lyme, CT

#19 Sep 22, 2010
Big Bertha wrote:
The poor seal must have washed up from the Mediterranean. Why wasn't it fossilized? It breaks my heart to think it was a mother seal who left behind a cub to starve.
This 8,000-year-old seal -- isn't it still alive? I'm not an otolaryngologist, but I do not think seals abandon other seals, especially young seals, in Asia Minor, the way drunk ducks will never leave another drunk duck in the wild, no matter what(thanx and a tip of the fedora to Marlon Perkins for that factoid). This means there will probably be more 8,000-year-old seals kicking around there in, where is it again?, oh, yeah, Turkey. It's a damn wonderful world, is it not, what with old, very, very, very old seals and ducks and turkeys. Even here in Connecticut, which is not too far from Turkey, we have a Peaceable Kingdom where our woodchuck Hamish and "her" (oops!) 4 kids, Chitter, Chatter, Chutney, and Jesus, share habitat (our back yard) with the neighbor's disgustingly fat cat, a mangy fox, 4 hummingbirds, and a little Spanish dwarf named Pedro who steals the birdseed.(He's worse than the fucking squirrels, really.) It's kind of like the Age of Aquarius, except for the global warming which will fry our asses within fifty years, wiping out life on the entire planet except cockroaches and customer-service representatives. Won't that be a hoot! Cook the turkeys right in their tracks! Too bad about the little baby seals, though.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#20 Sep 22, 2010
Ringo wrote:
<quoted text>
This 8,000-year-old seal -- isn't it still alive? I'm not an otolaryngologist, but I do not think seals abandon other seals, especially young seals, in Asia Minor, the way drunk ducks will never leave another drunk duck in the wild, no matter what(thanx and a tip of the fedora to Marlon Perkins for that factoid). This means there will probably be more 8,000-year-old seals kicking around there in, where is it again?, oh, yeah, Turkey. It's a damn wonderful world, is it not, what with old, very, very, very old seals and ducks and turkeys. Even here in Connecticut, which is not too far from Turkey, we have a Peaceable Kingdom where our woodchuck Hamish and "her" (oops!) 4 kids, Chitter, Chatter, Chutney, and Jesus, share habitat (our back yard) with the neighbor's disgustingly fat cat, a mangy fox, 4 hummingbirds, and a little Spanish dwarf named Pedro who steals the birdseed.(He's worse than the fucking squirrels, really.) It's kind of like the Age of Aquarius, except for the global warming which will fry our asses within fifty years, wiping out life on the entire planet except cockroaches and customer-service representatives. Won't that be a hoot! Cook the turkeys right in their tracks! Too bad about the little baby seals, though.
you are not funny at all
Ringo

Old Lyme, CT

#21 Sep 23, 2010
Rage -- Goddess, sing the rage of Ottoman's son Akilli ....
humorless, unforgiving, wrathful, more peckish still
than the fucking Spanish dwarf Pedro, eater
of birdseed, unshaven, carrion-breathed, doesn't
get out much (a huge thank-you Goddess for that)
and finds a target for his wild-eyed rage
at every stop throughout the ether summoned
to his desktop by palsied fingers tapping
at the keys. Behold his dorky icon --
the embarrassing pigeon-chested cousin Balki from some Anatolian backwoods, a cabbie on his day off,
strutting the sidewalks of Far Rockaway, wondering
why the city and his dreams reek of low tide.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bornova, Turkey Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Shapes for Women opens in Turkey (May '08) Jul '08 TURKEY HERALD 3
More from around the web