Turkish Gulet taken by Pirates in Med...

Turkish Gulet taken by Pirates in Mediterranean

Posted in the Bodrum, Turkey Forum

Paschal

Cape Town, South Africa

#1 Sep 9, 2012
I found my dream Gulet in Marmaris earlier this year and paid Euro 1 million to the broker Gulet Group. I had been searching for a number of years and got to well know Ceitin Korkut and his assistant Okan Korkut after many visits to Marmaris.I paid Gulet Group for the 45m boat and all appeared in order.
They then requested Euro 100,000 to deliver the boat to South Africa, which I paid. Part of the agreed arrangement was that I would spend a few weeks on board whilst it travelled through the Mediterranean. Gulet Group provided a crew of four under the captaincy of Serdar Bedir. The boat is a sailing motor yacht. After many requests over two weeks I asked the captain to sail the boat rather than motor all the time. Finally they raised the sails, and it was clear that they did not know what they were doing, and tore one sail. They quickly reverted to the motor! I informed Gulet Group that I was concerned that the incompetency at sailing would not only endanger the boat but their own lives out in the open atlantic. After my report Gulet Group apparently terminated the contract through the office in Marmaris.
Captain Serdar was sent the following email
serdar
phealan good teknesinin mevki ve bulundugu en yakın limanı bildir.oraya donatanın gönderecegi yeni tayfalara tekneyi çalış&#3 05;r durumda ve teslim aldıgın& #305;z gibi teslim etmenizi ve ucakla dönüş için en az 2 gün önceden ucuş günlerinizi bana bildirmenizi istiyorum.biletleriniz tarafımdan alınacaktır. bu konuda yorum ve karşı çözüm önerileri istemiyorum.bir sıkınt&# 305;nız varsa burada şirketle oturur konuşur ,hesaplaşır ve anlaşırs ınız.kaptan cengiz selcuk.
Gulet Group said it would be difficult to get a replacement crew quickly and we agreed that I would find a replacement, which I did.
I tracked the boat to San Raphael in South of France and sent the new crew. Captain Serdar refused to allow them on board. They now hold my boat for past 5 weeks. Last week I sent another representative and again Captain Serdar refused to allow him on board. Captain Serdar says he is owed money, but refuses to say how much or provide me with a copy of his contract.

Ceitin and Okan the owners of Gulet Group refuse to be of any assistance and ignore my emails. They refuse to refund any part of the Euro100,000 I have paid them to deliver the yacht the full way.

guletgroup.com is a very fancy website and certainly inspires confidence, however such brokerage firm appear regulated in Turkey by no one.

Who can I appeal to for help??

It is ironic that I decided to have the boat sailed 'the long way around' via the atlantic so as to avoid Somalia pirates only to have my own crew pirate the boat instead!

Surely this is not the norm for business in Turkey in 21st century???

Any assistance or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

You may also phone me Paschal +27823336622

ps my record of the entire transaction and all communications is 100%
Marmaris yacht captain

Mugla, Turkey

#2 Sep 26, 2013
Dear Paschal,
I have read the above message and once again regret the day I met Cetin and okan Korkut...
Cetin is an invalid person and one thinks that he is harmless person but they have hurt and ripped off so many people who came to buy or build a gulet in Turkey that now there are so many victims out there suffering with shattered dreams and empty bank accounts.
these are some of their web sites
www.guletgroup. com www.guletshow. com guletboats. com
they have no longer any office in marmaris but they keep on operating over internet and cheat on people with their fancy website.
I suggest you to hire a lawyer and go after them legally so that you can nail them otherwise these guys will keep on cheating other people...!
best regards
capt. Erdi
Girl from Bodrum

Mugla, Turkey

#3 Nov 6, 2013
This sounds like a trick and also some sort of pre-arranged trick. By the comment of Captain Erdi above, I would get yourself to that boat (you have paperwork to say you own it), call the local police and have them forcibly removed from your boat. You seem to have cash so pay some big guys to go along with you!! Good luck
CobraYacht

Izmir, Turkey

#4 Feb 22, 2014
Cobra Yacht, which was founded in 1978 in Bodrum, Turkey, has been sailing the Aegean and Mediterranean waters for 36 years with its high class yachts of own fleet constructed in Cobra Boatyard with international quality certificates as Lloyd, MCA, RINA & CE, for privileged circles both from Turkey and various other parts of the world to live a privileged Blue Voyage.
Cobra yacht has a good record of repeat clients which shows how much clients are enjoying the quality and family feeling they are receiving during the build of their yacht. Cobra Yacht believes that the build of a yacht which is a families gathering moment for joyful moments shouldn't be a headache, instead clients should enjoy coming to visit their yacht. So Cobra Yacht sees all their clients as a member of their big family.
The company has a mission which is "To Build Living Places in 3/4 th of the World"

www.cobrayacht.com
C Mantle

London, UK

#5 Mar 24, 2014
Paschal,

You MUST get a good lawyer immediately. If you have all the requisite paperwork, I would recommend someone to you who is positive, well qualified (check her qualifications on line through the Turkish Bar Association) who has helped me and my husband (he is South African) in the past. Her Name is Sule Beder and she is based in Fethiye. Here is a web link to the testimonials and contact details on her website
http://www.sulebeder.av.tr/testimonials-2/

Good luck

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bodrum, Turkey Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Where to get Quality Weed / Meds in Bodrum Nov '16 Ali 1
Civil Procedure Oct '16 Yuen 1
News Macakizi, Bodrum - Turkey (Jul '09) Oct '16 Amma 2
Burak Jewellers (Jul '07) Dec '15 Susan 14
News Refugee crisis: Meeting the desperate and the h... (Sep '15) Oct '15 MUSLIM SAVAGES 5
News Refugee crisis in 20 photos (Sep '15) Sep '15 SpaceBlues 2
News Refugee crisis: Hungary to jail trespassers (Sep '15) Sep '15 Mullet Omar Simps... 4
More from around the web