Boycott Burqa Barbie

Boycott Burqa Barbie

There are 83 comments on the pajamasmedia.com story from Nov 22, 2009, titled Boycott Burqa Barbie. In it, pajamasmedia.com reports that:

What will they think of next? A be-headed doll? Thata TMs right. I am talking about the new Burqa Barbie doll which is now on display in Florence, Italy, to celebrate the fiftieth anniversary of the Barbie doll.

A woman, a girl, in a chador, chadari, burqa, cannot see that well. You cannot hear what she is saying. She cannot hear you. A woman in a burqa can’t run, or even walk that well. She stumbles. Inside, she has to balance a baby, a shopping bag, maybe a pair of glasses perched on her nose, slipping. If it’s hot, she is sweltering. If it’s sunny, she is still deprived of sunlight and Vitamin D. The burqa violates a woman’s human rights. It poses a danger to a woman’s health, both mental and medical.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at pajamasmedia.com.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#1 Nov 22, 2009
Does she come with a father and a SUV that backs up over her and kills her?
Free Publicity

Boynton Beach, FL

#3 Nov 22, 2009
$20 at the store will translate to $100 on E-Bay.
gossamer

Roseville, MI

#5 Nov 22, 2009
This is so little Muslim girls won't feel left out and can play with Barbie too.

This just doesn't set right.

Barbie is part of the American culture.

What this says is come to America bring your culture. We'll change ours to suit you.

I wonder does she come with a Koran too?

Maybe Ken will come with a towel wrapped around his head.

-yernogood

Since: Oct 09

North Fort Myers, FL

#6 Nov 22, 2009
Cool I'm letting ken have his way with her and I'm telling her father. He'll kill her and the whole thing will go away.
Dems too crazy

Hammond, IN

#7 Nov 22, 2009
There are too many Muslims in this country.
George Bushs boyfriend

Crest Hill, IL

#8 Nov 22, 2009
I'd buy one, for an investment!
Chicago Guy

Winnetka, IL

#9 Nov 22, 2009
Wow.
Who'd have ever thought that Barbie could promote negative stereotypes and self-image problems for young girls?? LOL
Hound

Las Vegas, NV

#10 Nov 22, 2009
Orthodox Jewish women are forced to cover there legs and arms. Have babies one after the other and many women die from this abuse. The Muslims have the same laws.

The religious reason is that married women of some orthodox or ultra-orthodox traditions are supposed to cover their hair. So many will use wigs or scarves to do this. To this end some shave their hair so that it can't be seen and because it is a lot easier to cover a shaved head or really short hair than it is to cover a full head of hair under a wig. Some ultra-orthodox believe that wearing a wig looks too much like natural hair and will therefore wear a head scarf with no wig.

Jewish women shaving their hair off heads has to do with making themselves less attractive to their husbands. I saw several people who do refer to this practice as being part of married women finding ways of concealing their hair.

I think a burqa would be better than "shaving your hair off" for submission to a man. That is so degrading to subject women to such human rights abuses.

I guess when you enter religious frantically any religion it gets horrible.
BSbstr

Waterloo, IA

#11 Nov 23, 2009
Whoa!
sue

Orange, CT

#12 Nov 23, 2009
And no homeless Barbie like American Dolls produced?
Bongo

Springfield, PA

#13 Nov 23, 2009
sue wrote:
And no homeless Barbie like American Dolls produced?
Remember when Woodstock Barbie came with life-like Acid trip. If you
Bongo

Springfield, PA

#14 Nov 23, 2009
If you touched her hair you would see colors.

“i hope we can change this!”

Since: Aug 08

usa

#15 Nov 23, 2009
phyllis chesler writes ...

"... is still a pagan goddess or fertility figure but one with absolutely no relationship to female biology or reality."

then, goes on to say...

"Barbies are always anatomically impossible: their feet are pre-shaped for high heels, their breasts are high, firm, and perky—like Playboy dolls or surgically enhanced Hollywood stars. Bikini Barbie."

the story here isn't about a muslim clad doll being AUCTIONED for a children's charity, it's that phyllis (and, if you saw her picture, you'd understand why!) hates barbie dolls...period, end of story.

it's a doll, phyllis, get over it!
Concerned About Americans

Oviedo, FL

#16 Nov 23, 2009
gossamer wrote:
This is so little Muslim girls won't feel left out and can play with Barbie too.
What this says is come to America bring your culture. We'll change ours to suit you.
Yes, this is an example of how immigrants refuse to adapt to the culture of the coountry they have moved-to to take advantage of the economic benefts.
This is why there is the possibilty that Fort Hoods can happen in American cities:
http://davidoconnor.ning.com/profiles/blogs/f...

“I hate rrrrabbits!”

Since: Sep 09

Peoria, Illinois

#17 Nov 23, 2009
gossamer wrote:
Jesus Christ, now an alternate Barbie is a sign of unAmerican attitudes?

You people need a hobby. I hope you don't have kids and if you do I hope your insurance covers mental illness.

“I hate rrrrabbits!”

Since: Sep 09

Peoria, Illinois

#18 Nov 23, 2009
Concerned About Americans wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, this is an example of how immigrants refuse to adapt to the culture of the coountry they have moved-to to take advantage of the economic benefts.
This is why there is the possibilty that Fort Hoods can happen in American cities:
http://davidoconnor.ning.com/profiles/blogs/f...
You're connecting Fort Hood and this alternate Barbie? Good god, have you no shame? The more I hear from you retards the more I hate the GOP.

And I didn't think that was even possible.

Since: May 08

Location hidden

#19 Nov 23, 2009
Nobody could "boycott" their oil,why do you think people will start to boycott their products now?
shadow

Avon, IN

#20 Nov 23, 2009
Chicago Guy wrote:
Wow.
Who'd have ever thought that Barbie could promote negative stereotypes and self-image problems for young girls?? LOL
"remembers cousins oreo barbie" i was one of the first to see the storm.
Dems too crazy

Crown Point, IN

#21 Nov 23, 2009
Hound wrote:
Orthodox Jewish women are forced to cover there legs and arms. Have babies one after the other and many women die from this abuse. The Muslims have the same laws.
The religious reason is that married women of some orthodox or ultra-orthodox traditions are supposed to cover their hair. So many will use wigs or scarves to do this. To this end some shave their hair so that it can't be seen and because it is a lot easier to cover a shaved head or really short hair than it is to cover a full head of hair under a wig. Some ultra-orthodox believe that wearing a wig looks too much like natural hair and will therefore wear a head scarf with no wig.
Jewish women shaving their hair off heads has to do with making themselves less attractive to their husbands. I saw several people who do refer to this practice as being part of married women finding ways of concealing their hair.
I think a burqa would be better than "shaving your hair off" for submission to a man. That is so degrading to subject women to such human rights abuses.
I guess when you enter religious frantically any religion it gets horrible.
Oh please-I live in one of the biggest Orthodox Jewish areas in Chicago-with 7 synagogues with in 2 miles, I have been to all of them and believe me no one has shaved their heads. Are you a Muslim sympathizers or an Anti-semetic? more than likely the latter. I don't see Jews doing drive bys in Chicago or being arrested for Terrorist ties or blowing up their children.
Telmark

United States

#22 Nov 23, 2009
Does "Burqa Barbie" come with the rocks needed to stone her to death if she happens to associate with Ken dolls that are unrelated to her family?

Just think about it...many of these "people" condone the act of stoning their women to death if they have contact with men who are not related to their family...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbie Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Free Identification/Appraisals Sep 12 Annette 1
Collector Editions Aug 23 nenny99 1
Watch barbie free movies and disney princess mo... Jul '17 Barbieallyoucanbe 1
News Mattel stung by Barbie, Fisher-Price sales drops (Feb '14) Jun '17 AmPieJam UncleSam 4
Mattel doll 1988 BRANDNU on neck (Dec '11) Mar '17 Dianne 2
News Is new Barbie a he? Media labels doll a drag queen (Aug '12) Mar '17 andet1987 55
Barbie's sold in Canada (Feb '17) Feb '17 Justin 1
More from around the web