Beauty Without Barbie

Beauty Without Barbie

There are 1 comment on the The Washington Post story from Aug 5, 2009, titled Beauty Without Barbie. In it, The Washington Post reports that:

Late into Monday night, or shall we say in the wee hours of Tuesday morning, when everybody else was feeling tired and ugly, the final 15 contestants in the Miss Black USA pageant stood on the auditorium stage at the University of the District of Columbia. All glittery and poured into their evening gowns, curves revealed, cheeks aching from all that smiling. Lipstick still perfect.

They clapped prettily for their competition, pretty eyes glancing around, wondering whether the next girl might look better in that dress, might have a little bit more talent, might have that added crispness to her answers or a dimension that makes her sparkle a little more brightly before the judges seated in the audience below.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Washington Post.

black beauty

Waldorf, MD

#2 Jan 17, 2010
i love this story by DeNeen Brown. it is an affirmation of black beauty in a world that doesn't always acknowledge it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbie Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Beach barbie unopened May '16 Pearl 1
Mattel White Swan Hotel Going Home Adoption #4 Mar '16 Carolc 1
News Barbie's new body: curvy, tall and petite Feb '16 Zugzwang 1
News The easy way to improve your sex life (May '15) Jan '16 Sherril 5
News For the world's most scrutinized body, Barbie h... Jan '16 HarHar 1
News Can Intel, Mattel Bounce Back After Recent Sell... Jan '16 Liz 1
Black Barbie Jan '16 Searcher 1
More from around the web