Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 654434 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

AkaSuitor

Martinsburg, PA

#180887 Apr 3, 2010
4gvn wrote:
<quoted text>I notice even in your post you recognize that GOD lead Mathew to use two different words. It is clear that God made a distinction. He did NOT SAY thou art petros and upon petros I will build my church. He used two different words thus signifying that the two rocks spoken of were different. Peter was the petros and the profession that Peter had just made was the petra upon which Christ said He would build His church. How is the church built(added to) by on believer at a time coming to the saving faith that 'THOU ART THE CHRIST ,THE SON OF THE LIVING GOD.

A M E N.

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#180888 Apr 3, 2010
StarC wrote:
<quoted text>
‘ Look up Numbers 5:17, where a ritual is being described: "And the priest shall take the holy water in an earthen vessel and take some of the dust that is on the floor of the tabernacle and put it into the water."
This shows that holy water not only has a biblical basis, but that it has been around since the days of Moses.
Water speaks to us of spiritual life
In Genesis 2 we read of the perfect conditions of the garden of Eden.

This garden was watered by a river (v10).
Without water, the garden would have died, as plants, animals and humans cannot survive without water.

It seems to me that this river is a beautiful picture of the life that Christ gives to His children through the Spirit of God.

Consider the following verses that speak of this:

Exodus 17:6 Behold, I will stand before thee there upon the rock in Horeb; and thou shalt smite the rock, and there shall come water out of it, that the people may drink. And Moses do so in the sight of the elders of Israel.

Isaiah 12:2-3 Behold, God is my salvation; I will trust, and not be afraid: for the LORD JEHOVAH is my strength and my song; he also is become my salvation.

Therefore with joy shall ye draw water out of the wells of salvation.

Cont....
LTM

Sudbury, Canada

#180889 Apr 3, 2010
Betsy wrote:
<quoted text>
You are not only in grave error but also are historically challenged. Every bishop traces their orgin back to one of the apostles. You perhaps trace your orgin to Judas the betrayer.
I am sorry Betsy how is that possible.

Location hidden

#180890 Apr 3, 2010
StarC wrote:
<quoted text>
‘ Look up Numbers 5:17, where a ritual is being described: "And the priest shall take the holy water in an earthen vessel and take some of the dust that is on the floor of the tabernacle and put it into the water."
This shows that holy water not only has a biblical basis, but that it has been around since the days of Moses.
Isaiah 55:1 HO, every one that thirsteth, come ye to the waters, and he that hath no money; come ye, buy, and eat; yea, come, buy wine and milk without money and without price.

Jeremiah 2:13 For my people have committed two evils; they have forsaken me the fountain of living waters, and hewed them out cisterns, broken cisterns, that can hold no water.

John 4:14 But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life.

John 7:38-39 He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water.(But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet given: because that Jesus was not yet glorified.)

Cont....

Since: Feb 10

Västerlanda, Sweden

#180891 Apr 3, 2010
Dust Storm wrote:
<quoted text>
I see you are still a godless, false witness bearing evil dingbat from hell who is plagiarizing unsourced manure. Limbo was NEVER a Dogma nor a Doctrine so you when you call it a fact you are talking out of your giant rear end but in your case it is hard to tell which end is your rear. It was a theological discussion. You must be born of water & Spirit. Now you protestants have all kinds of theories on what that means some of you saying baptism isnt necessary at all and I dont really care to argue with lying beasts like you who dont utilize there brain but tell everyone how smart they are. You stink up the air with your posts. Your nonsense about the money purgatory is also that. Purgatory is not hell you ignorant baffoon and indeed the Jews referred to it as Paradise! They still today pray for one year after the death of a loved one. Its pointless to try to go at it point by point with you because you are owned by satan and never listen or even try. You are an ignorant fool and you bear false witness alot. You all inspired protestants in your church of confusion where each individual has their own truth with a book that nowhere says it is the sole source of authority. What a joke you and the other heretics are. The endless barrage of stupidity that comes from Protestants is incredulous. May have a scoup of confusion please. lol Maybe you joined a protestant church so you could lose weight hopping from one church to another to fill your itching ears but the free food to get you to buy stuff might get you. Oh well.. you clearly do not reject satan and all his works. You or Star C? HI C!
Lol yo'll just never got along

Location hidden

#180892 Apr 3, 2010
StarC wrote:
<quoted text>
This water is the everlasting life that we enjoy now in Christ.

That's why the scripture says in 1 John 5:12 "He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life."

Without water there cannot be life: Without the Lord Jesus Christ there cannot be eternal life.

It's interesting to me that the greatest expanse of water in the world today is the sea.
The sea in scripture is a fascinating subject, and one we can't go into here. However, I would encourage you to look at the references and you will see that the sea often speaks to us of restlessness and tribulation (See Matthew 14:22-33, Mark 6:47-52, John 6:15-21). Note, in all of these passages, the seas were calmed by the Lord Jesus.
When we follow these thoughts through, we read those lovely words in Revelation 21:1.

Revelation 21:1 AND I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away;

and there was no more sea."

Cont....
Hilly

Brooklyn, NY

#180893 Apr 3, 2010
it seems that the catholic church wont tell its flock biblical truth and leaves interpretation of the bible to sick priests.We are in the end times but not a peep from the pope on the matter

Location hidden

#180894 Apr 3, 2010
StarC wrote:
<quoted text>
No more sea in Heaven, no more restlesness, no more tribulation, all calmed by the Lord Jesus Christ forever.

However, although there will be no more sea in Heaven, there will be water, eternal water that flows forever.

Revelation 22:1-2 AND he shewed me a pure river of water of life, clear as crystal, proceeding out of the throne of God and of the Lamb.

In the midst of the street of it, and on either side of the river, was there the tree of life, which bare twelve manner of fruits, and yielded her fruit every month: and the leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations.

There may be other spiritual types for water that I haven't considered, but the above are the ones that spring to mind.

I'll leave you with the final reference to water in the Bible found in Revelation 22:17:

Revelation 21:17 And the Spirit and the bride say, Come.

And let him that heareth say, Come.

And let him that is athirst come.

And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely.
Hewett, Jonathan

Revelation 21:17 And the Spirit and the bride say, Come.

And let him that heareth say, Come.

And let him that is athirst come.

And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely.

Sounds like a good old fashioned Altar call to me Star.

Where the church(THE BRIDE) through the Holy Spirit gives out the
THE INVITATION
to a SINNER,to come and take the water of life freely.

You know Star,the Altar call's you MOCK?

A lot of sinners have been saved through the Holy Spirit
after they werte invited TO COME.

http://www.learnthebible.org/water-in-the-bib...
Dust Storm

United States

#180895 Apr 3, 2010
AkaSuitor wrote:
<quoted text>
A M E N.
Yawn...This pathetic argument has been destroyed so badly only helpless, ignorant neophytes with a love for the lack of truth cling to it like a fly on a cowpie. No credible scholars including Protestant adhere to this absurd argument. There is much more proof then below but I would suggest you read one of the Catholic books on the Papacy and then Not by Faith alone that will answer every conceivable non argument put forth. Then you can reject if you wish. God gave us free will unless your a calvinist wind up toy or not selected by jonah the great self appointed apostle on this thread. lol I really cant take any more protestants I have come to loathe the immense ignorance of most of you.

"As Greek scholars—even non-Catholic ones—admit, the words petros and petra were synonyms in first century Greek. They meant "small stone" and "large rock" in some ancient Greek poetry, centuries before the time of Christ, but that distinction had disappeared from the language by the time Matthew’s Gospel was rendered in Greek. The difference in meaning can only be found in Attic Greek, but the New Testament was written in Koine Greek—an entirely different dialect. In Koine Greek, both petros and petra simply meant "rock." If Jesus had wanted to call Simon a small stone, the Greek lithos would have been used. The missionary’s argument didn’t work and showed a faulty knowledge of Greek.(For an Evangelical Protestant Greek scholar’s admission of this, see D. A. Carson, The Expositor’s Bible Commentary [Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 1984], Frank E. Gaebelein, ed., 8:368)....

"We know that Jesus spoke Aramaic because some of his words are preserved for us in the Gospels. Look at Matthew 27:46, where he says from the cross,‘Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani?’ That isn’t Greek; it’s Aramaic, and it means,‘My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?’

"What’s more," I said, "in Paul’s epistles—four times in Galatians and four times in 1 Corinthians—we have the Aramaic form of Simon’s new name preserved for us. In our English Bibles it comes out as Cephas. That isn’t Greek. That’s a transliteration of the Aramaic word Kepha (rendered as Kephas in its Hellenistic form).

"And what does Kepha mean? It means a rock, the same as petra.(It doesn’t mean a little stone or a pebble. What Jesus said to Simon in Matthew 16:18 was this:‘You are Kepha, and on this kepha I will build my Church.’

"When you understand what the Aramaic says, you see that Jesus was equating Simon and the rock; he wasn’t contrasting them. We see this vividly in some modern English translations, which render the verse this way:‘You are Rock, and upon this rock I will build my church.’ In French one word, pierre, has always been used both for Simon’s new name and for the rock."

http://www.catholic.com/library/Peter_the_Roc...
AkaSuitor

Martinsburg, PA

#180896 Apr 3, 2010
a lay apostle wrote:
<quoted text>So there is no such thing as holy water? Demons dread holy water! And speaking of anointing with oil, "Who is it that can anoint with oil?" You? No, only a priest can. And only a bishop can give you the last gift, confirmation.

Not pestering, but waiting for some clarification with Scripture L.A. To the above post please.
Also, " only a bishop can give you the last gift, confirmation."
Confirmation of what L.A.?
Salvation?
A man can trump Holy Spirit? A man who is of the flesh, corrupt, can confirm if another man of the flesh-corrupt, is saved?

Scripture please.
AkaSuitor

Martinsburg, PA

#180897 Apr 3, 2010
Betsy wrote:
<quoted text>
Betsy wrote:
You are not only in grave error but also are historically challenged. Every bishop traces their orgin back to one of the apostles. You perhaps trace your orgin to Judas the betrayer.

Then I am included" You perhaps trace your orgin to Judas the betrayer."
<quoted text> Every bishop traces their orgin back to one of the apostles. <quoted text>

Really? How do they do this? And why?

Please offer Scripture to validate your very powerful post.
AkaSuitor

Martinsburg, PA

#180898 Apr 3, 2010
Dust Storm wrote:
<quoted text>
Yawn...This pathetic argument has been destroyed so badly only helpless, ignorant neophytes with a love for the lack of truth cling to it like a fly on a cowpie. No credible scholars including Protestant adhere to this absurd argument.’ In French one word, pierre, has always been used both for Simon’s new name and for the rock."
I only agree with" "And what does Kepha mean? It means a rock, the same as petra.(It doesn’t mean a little stone or a pebble. What Jesus said to Simon in Matthew 16:18 was this:‘You are Kepha, and on this kepha I will build my Church.’"
Now show me where the Catholic institution was "chosen" as that "rock".
I will again show using Scripture your institution has severly twisted the truth:
About six months before His death, Christ said, And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.Matthew 16:16-18.
the Old Testament many predictions were made concerning the church or the Kingdom, and that it would never be destroyed. In Isaiah 2:2-4, he states that when the word of Jehovah would go forth from Jerusalem, Jehovah's house was to be established and all nations would flow into it.
In Zach. 1:16, God speaking through the prophets said, "My house shall be built in Jerusalem".
In Mark 9:1, Jesus told his Apostles, "some of you standing here shall not taste of death until you see the kingdom come". In Luke 24:44-53, we have the record of Jesus Christ meeting with the Apostles after his resurrection from the dead, and we read; "and He said unto them; These are the words which I spake unto you while I was yet with you, that all things must needs be fulfilled which were written in the law of Moses, and in the Prophets and in the Psalms concerning me". In verse 47, Jesus states, "and that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in His name, among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem". Again we see Jerusalem as the starting place of the church.
In Acts 1:1-12, we have the record of the scene after Christ had been seen of them forty days after His resurrection. He told the Apostles in verse 4, "Not to depart from Jerusalem, but wait for the promise of the Father". In verse 8, He said, "But you shall receive power, after the Holy Spirit is come upon you, and you shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem and Judah and in Samaria and unto the uttermost parts of the earth". In verse 12, we read, "Then returned they unto Jerusalem". The Apostles received the baptismal measure of the Holy Ghost as they were promised. There were people present from every nation, each heard the Apostles speak in his own language so that everyone could understand. The Apostle Peter preached a great sermon on the death, the burial, and the resurrection of Jesus Christ.
In Acts 2:37, Luke says, "They were pricked in their hearts and said, what must we do?". In the next verse the answer is given. "Repent you and be baptized, everyone of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost, for the promise is unto you and to your children, and to all who are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call".
AkaSuitor

Martinsburg, PA

#180899 Apr 3, 2010
Dust Storm wrote:
<quoted text>
Yawn...This pathetic argument has been destroyed so badly only helpless, ignorant neophytes with a love for the lack of truth cling to it like a fly on a cowpie. No credible scholars including Protestant adhere to this absurd argument. In French one word, pierre, has always been used both for Simon’s new name and for the rock."

CONTINUED:

In verse 41, it states, "Then they that gladly received His word were baptized and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls". In verse 47, we read, "they were praising God and having favor with all the people, and the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved". This was the first time in all the Bible that the church is spoken of as being in existence. Christ purchased the church with his own blood. Acts 20:28, and He is the head of the church, Col. 1:18. Thus the great Apostle Paul wrote in Romans 16:16, "The churches of Christ salute you".
CRITICAL INFO:
Acting under Jesus' earlier instructions in Matthew 28:19 and 20, to 11..... teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost ... ", Peter had, thus, first revealed baptism by Christ's authority. Remission of sins, or salvation, was proclaimed in Jesus' name for the very first time on this occasion. A few days later Peter explained, "Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved" (Acts 4:12).
NOT A POPE-BISHOP-PASTOR-DEACON-OR A CARDINAL.
All of the foundation stones of the church were firmly planted upon the first Pentecost following the resurrection of our Lord. Afterward, the church was spoken of as being in existence- indeed, Peter spoke of this particular day as being "the beginning" (Acts 11:15).

Jesus, himself, spoke of that day as the beginning date for the proclamation of the Gospel of Christ (Luke 24:47-49). Thus, the laws governing His church became functional on the very day it was started, and all men from then until now enter it the same way.
Truly, Pentecost marked the beginning of the church set forth in the New Testament. It was also the beginning of the kingdom of Christ in its operational sense, it was when Christ started to reign over his kingdom. It was, in reality, the beginning of the entire Christian system.

Any church not started in Jerusalem on the first Pentecost day following Christ's resurrection is not His.

Systems not found in the New Testament constitute no part of the Church therein set forth.

All that we know about the church of our Lord, or the principles by which it is governed, we learn from the New Testament, and it alone.
Lag Met Jy

Västerlanda, Sweden

#180900 Apr 3, 2010
LTM wrote:
What religion was Mary?
Mary was of the tribe of Judah of the seed of David, she was a Jewess. The temple in Jerusalem was her only Church until the day of Pentecost. Then she was a member of the New Testament Church, which was Jewish Messianic. Jesus established and created in Israel a new religious Judaism. It was Messianic Judaism. Jesus founded a Jewish religion and it was called the "Qahal" (modern Hebrew) translated into the Greek Ekklesia. The Jewish word "Qahal" means: multitude, company, assembly, and congregation. Correctly this should be Qahel the "a" vowel with the "l" is incorrect as "l" should have before it the letter "e" and together "El" is a contraction of "Elohim" or God. Qahel then would mean an assembly of God's people, God's congregation, God's company, and God's multitude. The Greek "Ekklesia" meaning "called out ones" is a reference to the nation of Israel in a company of tribes called out of Egypt and given freedom from bondage and slavery. When Qahel and Ecclesia are properly understood the New Testament Church takes on a Jewish identity. Mary was Apostolic Messianic. She like all other New Testament Jews was a Messiehian (Greek Christian) and she followed the Apostle's Doctrine. This is the Church Mary attended. She was NEVER a member of the Catholic Church.
Cont..
Lag Met Jy

Västerlanda, Sweden

#180901 Apr 3, 2010
Cont Ltm...325AD All of Christiandom, all Five Primary Sees,Rome, Jerusalema, Alexandria, Antoich and Constantinople , All confessed that they're ONE, HOLY CATHOLIC AND APOSTOLIC CHURCH. The Church of Jerusalem is Catholic. Are you?
AkaSuitor

Martinsburg, PA

#180902 Apr 3, 2010
Dust Storm wrote:
<quoted text>
Yawn...This pathetic argument has been destroyed so badly only helpless, ignorant neophytes with a love for the lack of truth cling to it like a fly on a cowpie. No credible scholars including Protestant adhere to this absurd argument.‘You are Rock, and upon this rock I will build my church.’ In French one word, pierre, has always been used both for Simon’s new name and for the rock."

Dust Storm, Now that God's Holy Word has erased your selected verse, I sill challenge you, using Scripture, to validate the "Catholic Church", is the place to be.
Also, no more "Peter this-or that" as the Scripture I posted buried that theroy.
Use Scripture to to validate the "Catholic Church", is the place to be.
You cannot. Also you suggested I use a Catholic writing to substantiate the Papacy.
Sorry Dust Storm, I use the Bible to validate all things. Not something from an incorporated institution.
Other wise, I could write some manifest as well, declaring that the Church of AkaSuitor, is the true Church of God. So could you or anyone. If I did, the checks are in the Bible. The final resting place of all God's authority.
So again, I challenge you to use Scripture, and not hand select a non-specific passage to make the point.
Example: One of the most mis-quoted Scripture is," The Bible says DO NOT JUDGE".

No it does not.
The Scripture really states:

Judge not, that you be not judged. For with what judgment you judge, you will be judged; and with the measure you use, it will be measured back to you." Matthew 7:1-2

D.S.? Do you understand that ScriptureI posted? Without looking it up.
Lag Met Jy

Västerlanda, Sweden

#180903 Apr 3, 2010
4gvn wrote:
<quoted text>I notice even in your post you recognize that GOD lead Mathew to use two different words. It is clear that God made a distinction. He did NOT SAY thou art petros and upon petros I will build my church. He used two different words thus signifying that the two rocks spoken of were different. Peter was the petros and the profession that Peter had just made was the petra upon which Christ said He would build His church. How is the church built(added to) by on believer at a time coming to the saving faith that 'THOU ART THE CHRIST ,THE SON OF THE LIVING GOD.
Cont...
marge

United States

#180904 Apr 3, 2010
AkaSuitor wrote:
<quoted text>
A group of believers does NOT have to be licensed by the state to be a church, nor do they need a building, et cetera; they simply need to assemble together in Jesus' name (Matthew 18:20).
The true Church is not an organization; it is a group of assembled believers.
1st Corinthians 5:4 states... "In the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, when ye are gathered together, and my spirit, with the power of our Lord Jesus Christ." That is a genuine church. The Body of Christ is the sum of all believers.
So there ya have it Lay Apostle. Again, the HOLY Written word of God, refutes your position.
yep
AkaSuitor

Martinsburg, PA

#180905 Apr 3, 2010
Dust Storm wrote:
<quoted text>
Your nonsense about the money purgatory is also that. Purgatory is not hell you ignorant baffoon and indeed the Jews referred to it as Paradise!

They still today pray for one year after the death of a loved one.

You all inspired protestants in your church of confusion where each individual has their own truth with a book that nowhere says it is the sole source of authority. What a joke you and the other heretics are. The endless barrage of stupidity that comes from Protestants is incredulous.. You or Star C? HI C!

Purgatory is "Paridise" you say?

" Purgatory is not hell you ignorant baffoon and indeed the Jews referred to it as Paradise!"
PURGATORY is another fabricated word and non-existanant place in Scripture.

Luke 16:19-31
25] "But Abraham replied,'Son, remember that in your lifetime you received your good things, while Lazarus received bad things, but now he is comforted here and you are in agony.[26] And besides all this, between us and you a great chasm has been fixed, so that those who want to go from here to you cannot, nor can anyone cross over from there to us.'

[27] "He answered,'Then I beg you, father, send Lazarus to my father's house,[28] for I have five brothers. Let him warn them, so that they will not also come to this place of torment.'

[29] "Abraham replied,'They have Moses and the Prophets; let them listen to them.'

[30] " 'No, father Abraham,' he said,'but if someone from the dead goes to them, they will repent.'

'but if someone from the dead goes to them, they will repent.'

[31] "He said to him,'If they do not listen to Moses and the Prophets, they will not be convinced even if someone rises from the dead.' "

As is very obvious, The tormented man cannot communicate with earth:

..." send Lazarus to my father's house,[28] for I have five brothers. Let him warn them, so that they will not also come to this place of torment.'
Further clear evidence is:

between us and you a great chasm has been fixed, so that those who want to go from here to you cannot, nor can anyone cross over from there to us.'
Thus, We cannot pray to those on the "other side". WE have strictly Holy Spirit for that. The only, absolute, only avenue open to the other side, is through and to strictly, Holy Spirit.
These Scriptures clearly make this known.

And Abraham makes it's very clear, it is here and now. There are no more opportunities for salvation.[ no Purgatory] " 'If they do not listen to Moses and the Prophets, they will not be convinced( even if someone rises from the dead.)' "

Much more to come...
Lag Met Jy

Västerlanda, Sweden

#180906 Apr 3, 2010
Cont from 4Gvn...I didn't say He said thou art Petrus upon this Petrus i will build my Church. I used Both Petrus and Petra. They both mean Rock. Petrus is Masculine cause Peter was male. Did Christ say Upon the Confession you made? Than why before that Christ called out Peter John 1:42 And he Brought him to Jesus. Jesus looked at him and said, "You are Simon, son of John. You will be called Cephas(Which is translated to Peter(Rock))?
cont...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 9 min Adam 45,298
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 10 min The Hangman 973,954
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 11 min Buck Crick 64,662
Israel End is Near (Feb '15) 37 min Adam 507
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 53 min Genius 106,612
News FBI: Drexel kidnapped, raped, shot, fed to gators 1 hr happy 2
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 1 hr X Pendable 183,221
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 2 hr onemale 281,955
More from around the web