Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 653910 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#559100 Sep 5, 2014
Liam wrote:
<quoted text>
Neither. How did I know you would read into it like that?
Guest blames Constantine and the Roman Catholic Church for teaching Muslims how to wage war in the name of God. Although I admit I'm hardly a scholar on the subject, I just pointed out that the Roman Empire collapsed in the west in 476 AD. Not only that, Constantine moved the headquarters of his government to Constantinople in the east when he was till alive sometime before 337 AD.
So to me two things stick out: 1. The Vatican was still back in Rome, not Constantinople. And if she was going to be so reckless as to blame us for waging wars on everyone, It would have been the Orthodox Church in the east who were still part of the fledgling Roman Empire. But seriously it wasn't you either.
2. If I'm not mistaken, you guys didnt refer to yourselves as the Orthodox at that time anyway. Weren't we all just "Christians", Baptized members of the only Universal Christian Church?
I know another thing: there was no such thing as "Roman Catholics". It would have been "Latin rite" Catholics. And you guys were "Byzantine rite". Either way, there WAS NO MERGER between the Bishops of the Church and the secular government of Rome.
I agree. The two churches were ONE at that time....The church was not to blame for teaching the muslims to wage war in the name of God
Liam

Detroit, MI

#559101 Sep 5, 2014
Seraphima wrote:
<quoted text> I know that the Orthodox have saints that the Catholic's don't have and the same with the Catholic Church. You have saints that the Orthodox don't have. Then again we share a lot of the same saints...
When did people start categorizing Catholics and Orthodox? This is a tough one to research online. It seems to me we weren't categorized separately before the great schism. It was one Church. The west belonged to the diocese of Rome and were "Latin rite Catholics". The east had a few different rites and diocese but I don't know that it always called itself Orthodox. I don't think it would make sense, because some of those today label themselves "Catholic". Like Byzantines. You said today Constantine wasn't orthodox, he was catholic? I'm not sure its possible to put him in a category like that.

“Its better when its original”

Since: Mar 13

Let's Play

#559102 Sep 5, 2014
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
Where does "God" specifically state which texts are of "His" inspiration and which texts are not?
<quoted text>
a. 2 Timothy is by "Paul" not "God".....first strike against 2 Tim.
b. Many scholars don't even believe "Paul" wrote this Pastoral - strike two....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Epistle_t...
- Most modern critical scholars argue that 2 Timothy was not written by Paul but by an anonymous follower, after Paul's death in the First Century.[1][2]
[1] New Testament Letter Structure, from Catholic Resources by Felix Just, S.J.
[2] Jump up ^ Collins, Raymond F. 1 & 2 Timothy and Titus: A Commentary. Westminster John Knox Press. 2004. p. 4 ISBN 0-664-22247-1
"By the end of the twentieth century New Testament scholarship was virtually unanimous in affirming that the Pastoral Epistles were written some time after Paul's death.... As always some scholars dissent from the consensus view."
c. If "all scriptures" are given....then EVERY BOOK attributed to the Apostles are also very much valid.
Right now, you are only taking men's words as what is "inspired by God" and what is not.
I didn't ask for that. I ask where does "God" make these specific selections. You do have that passage, correct?
Otherwise you are still just parroting what other men have stated....and that is still incorrect.
Do you want to try again.....but a little harder? Maybe your second attempt will include researching what you want to say, before posting it in error.
What say you?
Incorrect...is your opinion sir....Now I believe in the Bible I use the scripture to back it up. I don't care who wrote it. It was inspired by God. I know this because like I have said countless times, I have been born again of the Spirit of Jesus and he is the word of God the words in the Bible match up to that spirit.

I don't even know exactly what you believe and I am really not concerned because I know what I believe and I am persuaded fully. I follow Jesus where ever he leads and he is not now nor ever has led me away from my Bible. He leads me to the Bible to teach me of his wisdom and God's will. The Bible is powerful and a two edged sword. I use it to fight the enemy (satan) just as Jesus did when he was fasting. Jesus is my example and him only do I give an account to. Jesus gives me the wisdom that I need and in his wisdom and word (Bible) I can always find the answer that I am looking for.

Anyhow here is the answer to your question and the scripture that you requested using precept upon precept and line upon line.

Psalms 40:7
Then said I, Lo, I come: in the volume of the book it is written of me,

Hebrews 10:7
Then said I, Lo, I come (in the volume of the book it is written of me,) to do thy will, O God.
Michael

Hamilton, Canada

#559103 Sep 5, 2014
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
"I have seen the arrogance and hatred of catholics and CLERGY towards non catholics especially protestants at the same time boasting of the charity work they claim they do for everyone. "
Well, thats a lie.
You can't even admit you reject God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit because that would threaten your fragile alliance with the protestants who you cheer on as they attack the Catholic Church

. Even your fellow atheist June sees it. Sorry Mike, we both

know you have a vendetta. Why are you too cowardly to admit it?
.......(lol)!!

.....Peace Anthony!

......doesn't that sound better than your bag of insults? Of course.

....I have no alliance with anyone. I have argued with Attemcowboy, Oxbow, and Giff, John NJ, and other protestants, check my posts from the past. and over time by the most part I got along very well with Sera who is closer to Catholicism than protestantism.

.....what bothers you is what I have posted about the catholic church about Mary, the Eucharist, purgatory, saints, clergy abuse, lying, coverups, Vatican money laundering, nuns investigation etc. and that I might agree with protestants about some of those elements. Though I disagree with the model of Christianity I understand why protestants disagree with many catholic doctrines

.......you need to stop worrying

......I will continue to post, no matter how much you wished I wouldn't.
Liam

Detroit, MI

#559104 Sep 5, 2014
Seraphima wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree. The two churches were ONE at that time....The church was not to blame for teaching the muslims to wage war in the name of God
Agree. The Muslims started out with war on their minds and it had nothing to do with Christianity.
I've said decent things about Islam. I know Muhammad wasn't a prophet and the Koran isn't the word of God, but majority of Muslims try not to sin. In some way, that's got to be pleasing to God.
Anthony MN

United States

#559105 Sep 5, 2014
USA Born wrote:
<quoted text>
Nor can you back up any of your endless attacks on protestants. Acknowledge that.
I can and I do back up everything I say. Sorry to make you look bad but we both know your intention here is to attack the Catholic Church by whatever means possible, including fabricating falsehoods without feeling the need to back them up with facts. We know you hate us and our Church. We know you accept every negative story without batting an eye. We know you have no intention of verifying what you hear about us. We can only assume your reasons for behaving and believing the way you do is based on what you hear from your religious leaders, from a culture of bigotry based on ignorance, resentment and jealousy of the pope's universal respect, our unity in faith, our 2000 year tradition, the world wide influence of the Church, you name it.

I can also tell you that there have been a large number of high profile protestant ministers and leaders in recent years who have found the strength to face their bigotry and honestly search with an open mind for the truth of what the Catholic Church teaches, our history and have realized they were lied to, left protestantism and have come home to the Church founded by Christ.
Michael

Hamilton, Canada

#559106 Sep 5, 2014
Seraphima wrote:
<quoted text> I know that the Orthodox have saints that the Catholic's don't have and the same with the Catholic Church. You have saints that the Orthodox don't have. Then again we share a lot of the same saints...
.....Christians claim saints have special powers and a place in heaven.

....If you believe orthodox have saints that catholics don't, and catholics have saints orthodox don't, in the end both of you can't be right, but both beliefs can be wrong.

.....Muslims believe with all their hearts in miracles from Allah. Christians believe with all their hearts in miracles from Jesus, Jews don't believe in neither. Buddhists, Hindus believe in something different.

......being born into a belief by chance guarantees nothing in the eyes of all who don't belong to that particular belief.

.....In the end I believe there will be no difference amongst all of us, and I believe we are all the same. Equal. Equal in the eyes of an all loving God, or equal in the sense of some process that we don't understand.
Anthony MN

United States

#559107 Sep 5, 2014
USA Born wrote:
<quoted text>
ROTFLOL. I never said anthing about millions. I noticed you haven't been a ble to prove otherwise though.
Your exact words:

"You must live in denial.
Can you prove that millions were not killed by your church fathers?"

Pretty lame response USA. Do you have trouble remembering things you've said within the last few hours? Does your protestant sect teach that lying about Catholics and the Catholic Church is ok because they're evil?

Do you believe an accuser has the responsibility of supporting his accusations with facts? If a person accuses someone of murder, should there not be a body? Or should the accused be required to prove he didn't kill anyone even if there's no body?
Anthony MN

United States

#559108 Sep 5, 2014
Michael wrote:
<quoted text>
.......(lol)!!
.....Peace Anthony!
......doesn't that sound better than your bag of insults? Of course.
....I have no alliance with anyone. I have argued with Attemcowboy, Oxbow, and Giff, John NJ, and other protestants, check my posts from the past. and over time by the most part I got along very well with Sera who is closer to Catholicism than protestantism.
.....what bothers you is what I have posted about the catholic church about Mary, the Eucharist, purgatory, saints, clergy abuse, lying, coverups, Vatican money laundering, nuns investigation etc. and that I might agree with protestants about some of those elements. Though I disagree with the model of Christianity I understand why protestants disagree with many catholic doctrines
.......you need to stop worrying
......I will continue to post, no matter how much you wished I wouldn't.
I'm not worried about you at all. I just think you should man up and admit you have an axe to grind with the Catholic Church. Or you can just stay a chicken and pretend you don't.
Michael

Hamilton, Canada

#559109 Sep 5, 2014
Liam wrote:
<quoted text>
Agree. The Muslims started out with war on their minds and it had nothing to do with Christianity.
I've said decent things about Islam. I know Muhammad wasn't a prophet and the Koran isn't the word of God, but majority of Muslims try not to sin.

In some way, that's got to be pleasing to God.
.......If there is an all loving God you have no idea what a God would think, or what God would find pleasing. Your only assuming, just like you always do.

Since: Sep 09

Prince George, Canada

#559110 Sep 5, 2014
Liam wrote:
<quoted text>
I've said decent things about Islam. I know Muhammad wasn't a prophet and the Koran isn't the word of God,
Are you KIDDING???

If a Muslim told you that Jesus was not a savior and that the bible wasn't the word of God, you would be HIGHLY indignant.

Yet you think you are being decent to a Muslim when you claim that Muhammad was not a Prophet and that his Qur'an is NOT the word of GOD.

If you put yourself in the Muslim's shoes, you will know why he is so very angry at Christians.

Prince George, Canada

#559111 Sep 5, 2014
Michael wrote:
<quoted text>
.......If there is an all loving God you have no idea what a God would think, or what God would find pleasing. Your only assuming, just like you always do.
They better NOT claim to know what "God" is thinking, as that is presumptuous ... and according to Catholic, Orthodox and Protestant theology, only on judgment day will "God" make up his mind who is allowed to either go up ... or down.

The Gnostic Christians might have a vantage spiritual view of the whole ... according to New Age Spiritual Leader. But then he warns us not to trust the words of men, and because he IS a man, I suggest we take his warning.

:)
Michael

Hamilton, Canada

#559112 Sep 5, 2014
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not worried about you at all. I just think you should man up and admit you have an axe to grind with the Catholic Church. Or you can just stay a chicken and pretend you don't.
.....can't get to me Anthony no matter how much you try.

.....though I am no longer a christian,

(I understand why catholics by the millions walked out the door 500 years ago).

..... Probably some of the same reasons I left the catholic church, then Christianity all together. Corruption, lies, deceit, coverups. Does the same thing go on in protestant beliefs? Sure, but your church has had 2,000 years to correct these issues, but the issues keep coming.

.....I am disgusted at the bullying by church leaders against the nuns, women who work harder than any priest I ever met. I am disgusted with two Vatican bank money laundering scandals within a few years. The worldwide sexual abuse scandals that have cost your church $3 billion so far.

.....I have lots to say negatively about the catholic church, an organization that fooled me for 50 years, and has fooled you for whatever your age is.

USA Born

Upland, CA

#559113 Sep 5, 2014
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Your exact words:
"You must live in denial.
Can you prove that millions were not killed by your church fathers?"
Pretty lame response USA. Do you have trouble remembering things you've said within the last few hours? Does your protestant sect teach that lying about Catholics and the Catholic Church is ok because they're evil?
Do you believe an accuser has the responsibility of supporting his accusations with facts? If a person accuses someone of murder, should there not be a body? Or should the accused be required to prove he didn't kill anyone even if there's no body?
All your rambling words are nonsense. You accuse me, and others of lying about "millions" murdered in the Inquisitions, but offer no proof that it isn't true. Now do you get it? I never said anything about "millions" but you feel free to just throw a lie out there and accuse me. Now you ask me if the accuser should provide proof? My answer is yes, please provide proof I said "millions".

I do believe evil was in the Roman church and in the RCC. I don't believe in the legends started by Irenaeus in 180CE, over 100 years after the death of Peter. IMO, the RCC is not the only true church but is the whore of babylon.

Prince George, Canada

#559114 Sep 5, 2014
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
If a person accuses someone of murder, should there not be a body? Or should the accused be required to prove he didn't kill anyone even if there's no body?
If no Catholic bodies could be found, then Catholics could never say their forefathers were killed by Protestants.

It works both ways ... RIGHT?

I suggest that the Catholic and Protestant wars took their toll of more than enough lives in the name of heresy and witchcraft. Don't you agree???
Anthony MN

United States

#559115 Sep 5, 2014
Michael wrote:
<quoted text>
.....can't get to me Anthony no matter how much you try.
.....though I am no longer a christian,
..... Probably some of the same reasons I left the catholic church, then Christianity all together. Corruption, lies, deceit, coverups. Does the same thing go on in protestant beliefs? Sure, but your church has had 2,000 years to correct these issues, but the issues keep coming.
.....I am disgusted at the bullying by church leaders against the nuns, women who work harder than any priest I ever met. I am disgusted with two Vatican bank money laundering scandals within a few years. The worldwide sexual abuse scandals that have cost your church $3 billion so far.
.....I have lots to say negatively about the catholic church, an organization that fooled me for 50 years, and has fooled you for whatever your age is.
Well, it's good you left then. But you said you didn't believe as a child. And you said you left long before you knew about any scandal. I think you're a liar with an axe to grind and too much of a chicken to admit it.

Take care Mike. I hope you can find something more enjoyable during your retirement than sitting on an Internet discussion board voicing your disgust with the "religion" you left. I know I would. ;0)
Liam

Detroit, MI

#559116 Sep 5, 2014
USA Born wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, and it's you're knowledge that has you claiming your worship for the eucharist. Real smart.
Yes correct. If I see the Eucharistic consecrated host, I bow down and adore the Holy Blessed Sacrament. If it ain't really Jesus, I'm an idolator. That's why I don't understand the fuss you and Pad and Ox make about supposed Mary worship. You already have the 'damning' evidence in Eucharistic adoration.

Prince George, Canada

#559117 Sep 5, 2014
Michael wrote:
<quoted text>
They left Catholicism by using words in the pope's bible, to turn with a vengeance on their own brothers and fathers and mothers and other relatives and friends ... to in turn label them as heretics and put them to death ... by the orders of Martin Luther ... the ex-Catholic leader of the mayhem.

Some protest ... HUH???

I suggest that you ARE a Protestant.

You are totally blind to the ill behavior of the Protestants to be anything BUT a Protestant.

Liam

Detroit, MI

#559118 Sep 5, 2014
Michael wrote:
<quoted text>
Natural law with or without religions says there is good and evil. Humans by our very existance have it written on our hearts. Do you believe that? How do you know that evil is evil? More importantly, why would u give a rat's behind one way or the other? The answer is because you are one of many insecure atheist who cant wrap their brains around truths....so you lash out to feel more at ease.

Prince George, Canada

#559119 Sep 5, 2014
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, it's good you left then. But you said you didn't believe as a child. And you said you left long before you knew about any scandal. I think you're a liar with an axe to grind and too much of a chicken to admit it.
Take care Mike. I hope you can find something more enjoyable during your retirement than sitting on an Internet discussion board voicing your disgust with the "religion" you left. I know I would. ;0)
Hojo and Robert left their Protestant religion to become Catholic.

Are you PROUD of them for being disgusted with the religion that they left behind?

My guess is, you are VERY proud of them.

You are simply disgruntled when someone leaves YOUR religion behind.

People in religion have a tendency to be VERY moody. It depends on who chooses to join their religion and who chooses to leave.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 1 min Break it Down 973,749
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 2 min Buck Crick 63,751
Play "end of the word" part 2 (Dec '15) 19 min andet1987 2,577
*** All Time Favorite Songs *** (Dec '10) 29 min -Scare__ Crow- 3,803
Why do guys lie to women so much about marriage? 1 hr Deceived by guy 1
Does anyone know Darrin Neuling?? 1 hr Deceived by guy 1
$$$ Fedz Pimping Poisonous Meat - Don't Buy! 1 hr HiddnNumbrz 1
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 3 hr onemale 281,858
Moms having sex with their sons (Aug '12) 8 hr teqy2000 79
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 8 hr lightbeamrider 106,490