Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 654471 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Since: Sep 09

Prince George, Canada

#557609 Aug 28, 2014
There is not a doubt that if hojo or Robert went back to join the Protestants, they would be perceived by devout Catholics as backsliding heretics.

NO doubt at all.

Yet they all believe that faith in Jesus saves the sinners from hellfire and damnation.
Pad

Rockford, IL

#557610 Aug 28, 2014
Dust Storm wrote:
Salvation is through the Jews. Christ came and established a church. The Grace of Christ he would his church as an instrument. Yet Like Graham the church believes Christ came for Jew and Gentile. When Baptiized in the name of the Father Son and Holy Spirit you enter into the Church his body. You cannot with a straight face really say Protestants are not all over the place on Doctrines, nor can you look blindly with indifference. It is written it would be better for them had they not known the truth. Here again we see If I had not come and spoken to them they would have no sin, likewise If you were blind you would have no guilt but you say I see therefore your guilt remains. Sound Doctrine thus is extremely important. When you rip away all authority other than personal interpreations there can be no assurance of being led to all truth.
I cannot speak for Graham and it may not be clear in the video presented here, but in the past he has held to the Catholic view expanded upon through Pauls words above. So Junes blathering is just that as the church never taught everyone else goes to hell automatically. The No Salvation outside the church was directed at those who were in the church and seperated from the body with foreign doctrines, because they say we see. However those who do not fully understand or know the teachings of the church who nevertheless seek to do the will of God are not condemned. The teachers will be held accountable more so than the others. To be excommunicated means you are now in the hands of God. I think the bible is rife with examples of those who led others astray. You can choose whatever opinion you please you have free will.
Read both posts,well put,I do not disagree with you.YES I am concerned about people judging Graham harshly for what he said,because the context of knowing Christ and His Mercy prevails over our own quick to condemn theologies we are all guilty of at one time or another.

It is not in those religions he mentioned that eternal life exists,only in Christ,but that does not mean that Christ is not working through the power of the Holy Spirit to illumine and bring to light those of all religions,about His LOVE,and MERCY,showing the true Nature of God. June hates the concept of Universal truth,but the fact remains there is only ONE PERSON who is the "Way the Truth and the Life." and HE has as Schuller said in that video,"A WIDENESS in God's Mercy." We cannot condemn,because we do not know how the Lord Himself will Judge all,that thankfully is in His hands ALONE!
Truth

Leesburg, VA

#557611 Aug 28, 2014
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
Anthony does not own a religious society, a homosexual priest, sodomizers, idolaters, nor a Roman Catholic Church..
"Except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish. Luke 13. Acts 3." "Mar_1:15 And saying, The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent ye, and believe the gospel"
Repent: to be penitent for one's sins....
Anthony was baptized in a Catholic church...attends a Catholic church...follows the teaching of the Catholic church...those are not acts of sin from which he needs to repent...
You owe him an apology...big time....
"For I know this, that after my departure savage wolves will come in among you, not sparing the flock. Also from among yourselves men will rise up, speaking perverse things, to draw away the disciples after themselves. Therefore watch, and remember that for three years I did not cease to warn everyone night and day with tears."

What about following sound doctrine, Ox, does that count???
Pad

Rockford, IL

#557612 Aug 28, 2014
June VanDerMark wrote:
There is not a doubt that if hojo or Robert went back to join the Protestants, they would be perceived by devout Catholics as backsliding heretics.
NO doubt at all.
Yet they all believe that faith in Jesus saves the sinners from hellfire and damnation.
YES you have a point,but remember this June it is not what is taught from the Scriptures,and is the reality of who the Lord Jesus is! In fact, it is all human nature in regards to division,and self will,pride and the doctrines of men. Much of what Christians bicker over is their practices,and how they perceive what Christ meant here and there. Not that they all are wrong in their thinking,but that they do not recognize each other with the respect Christ would give to all in the same circumstances.
Truth

Leesburg, VA

#557613 Aug 28, 2014
Pad wrote:
<quoted text>I know June you are quick to jump on the band wagon with CRITICS,who often should be criticized themselves for their own lack of understanding. I watched a few of the videos that are connected with the one on Billy Graham. Billy Graham has never preached any sort of watered down gospel,and his own testimony of faith has been rich,along with his sons and so on.His daughter as well has kept to the MAIN-Line as it were.
His point of people coming to Jesus or seeking after Him and (not knowing Him as the Christians claim they know Him) is taken from several Scriptures: One is that"Sheep that are not of this flock....." and or "of this fold","The Spirit of Christ". The first not of this fold or flock refers to those who although not of the same flock as the Christian,but are seekers and are being drawn by the Spirit of Christ. Even though the gospel is being preached,and there are many who come to faith in Jesus,throughout the world there are many human beings who because of the restrictions of their societies NEVER heard the gospel,nor have access to it.
The Spirit of Christ continues to DRAW all men unto the Father,and that is without restriction,as the Lord travailed over the souls of MEN,WOMEN and Children and was satisfied.That is basically taken from Isaiah 53. There are Jews,Muslims,Buddhists,and constituents of many religious backgrounds who are seekers and want truth.Their religion and society they live in restrict them to that which they were born into.But Christ through the power of the Holy Spirit draws them to the true knowledge of the Father. People forget especially in the Christian world that CHRIST foremost pointed people to the FATHER.
The attributes,holiness,and COMFORT of the Father is through His Son,but all human kind is in need of the grace,and Joy,that comes from the Father,since He in fact is the Creator.So in a world that basically denies the Person of God,there has to be a witness from the Father through His only Son to a human heart that is seeking. That is why when the gospel is preached,many in all nations are open to the Lord,and of course there are many who will not receive or believe.
Your trying to say through that video that Billy Graham is a fraud,and whatnot,is really not true.Joel Osteen and other big preachers are actually not frauds,but are criticized by many Christian circles,it is understandable,but it is also a bit of selfish pride that many preachers view these men who are big in the whole picture of preaching the gospel. I do not agree with the methods always used to evangelize,but I have learned to listen intently to the message,and to see the results of that message.Many people are changed,and that is the most important result,the changed life from a selfish one to that of becoming a child of God,and seeking HIM,rather than a life without Him.
Many criticize all the big name preachers,and some of their remarks can be true as to how they view the people who are so popular with so many huge crowds that attend these churches.
Billy Graham is not saying that if a person is Buddhist,or whatever they are saved because of what they believe as a Buddhist,but because of what they have in their heart that draws them to God almighty.The Spirit of Christ draws men to the Father,and He is not limited by religious or political frameworks. There are many of Good Will in all facets of life who seek to do good,and to live just lives. But we Christians KNOW,that the works or deeds of a person does not save them,because than Christ's sacrifice on the Cross means nothing.Grace can only be applied by Christ.
No matter what we are not to judge or condemn a soul to hell,it is not our place!
PAD,

As Christians, one of our responsibilities is to KNOW what sound doctrine is.....

Since what takes up residence in our minds is of great consequence with regard to our salvation, we must constantly be on guard.

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#557614 Aug 28, 2014
Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
OK, now that we can move forward and the straight line idea is out.
Is "forward" generally more linear or circular?
I guess one could move "forward" in both of those.

I prefer to be linear.....instead of going round and round.

:o)

Albuquerque, NM

#557615 Aug 28, 2014
Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
I was a little surprised to read a few of those NDE testimonies on that site. Thanks for the link.
When I first saw the link, I was thinking of when an athiest and I were discussing his NDE experience a couple years ago.
He said that there was nothing there. When I asked what he meant by that, he went on to explain that as he "looked around", he saw nothing to report about. He kept insisting that "there was nothing there" and human death was the ultimate end.
It took a few minutes talking with him for him to realize what he had actually reported ... his consciousness while there. He KNEW he was beyond the grave ... and was conscious of it.
As far as I know, that realization changed his life completely because he was totally shocked and a little unhinged at first to realize that he had actually witnessed what he thought, and had preached about not existing ... did exist. His final comment to me was, "I wonder what I could have seen had I really looked.".
Perception. Perecption exists beyond the grave too.
This phenomenon is quite a debacle, huh?

Interesting to say the least.

I love the searches I've been on to find more about this, and after 35+ years of doing this search....IMO - our consciousness will extend past these reality.
Many will not believe this, many will. Of course - experience will solidify my belief, but in the meantime, I've found that I really can't change my mind to say "nothing exists".

I also can't come to say - "only christians will be in heaven" - as I believe that to be highly unlikely as well, based upon NDEs - and the way so-called "Christians" treat others with so much disrespect and unkindness.

Glad to help with the link.

Cheers!

Albuquerque, NM

#557616 Aug 28, 2014
seriously the original wrote:
<quoted text>God loves Billy and Muslims....He gives everyone a chance to be saved. It is up to us what we do with it!
Self.

Why don't you believe Jesus when he speaks of this entity?

Why would anyone refuse to acknowledge these teachings by Jesus?
Michael

Hamilton, Canada

#557617 Aug 28, 2014
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
I’ve been to many funerals where the preachers did not mention the word heaven or hell … especially where suicide was involved, or someone died that they were sure was a heretic.
Preachers that know how to pad their nests with good fortune in the collection basket … bett
er know which words to delete from their sermons.
.....and Hell is never used.

Albuquerque, NM

#557618 Aug 28, 2014
<quoted text>We should read the Bible and do as it says......
I gave an example of something in the Bible that I know you probably don't abide too.....so I'll ask you directly, just in case you do....

Do you agree with, in that, if a man rapes your daughter and then gives you money for her hand in marriage - that you would accept this exchange?

If not - then please admit that you don't believe everything in the Bible is true.

How honest can you be?

“Its better when its original”

Since: Mar 13

Let's Play

#557619 Aug 28, 2014
atemcowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
as I said, you are a newbie on this Forum, and it is Oxbore who is arguing with everyone and acting like a doofus. you would do well to remember that and not continue to act like oxbore is doing.
the word Shabat is Hebrew for our word Sabbath.
I don't know if you read any of my posts after that one but I did state I didn't want to argue with anyone anymore.

Can I ask you a question? What denomination of Church do you belong to? You have probably already stated it on here before, but like you said I am new to this thread.

Albuquerque, NM

#557620 Aug 28, 2014
Galatians 1
6 I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel:
7 Which is not another; but there be some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ.
8 But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.
9 As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.
10 For do I now persuade men, or God? or do I seek to please men? for if I yet pleased men, I should not be the servant of Christ.
Quoted from the Word of God......The Holy Bible!!!!!
Do you think "Paul" was more enlightened than Jesus, considering you will quote "Paul" more often than you have Jesus?

Please post a similar passage that has Jesus teaching about this same topic.

Prince George, Canada

#557621 Aug 28, 2014
marge wrote:
<quoted text>
I love the Holy Scriptures
The part about "others" spending eternity in hell is not holy to you ... but it IS essential to your superior attitude that YOU are worthy of salvation while others are NOT!

Prince George, Canada

#557622 Aug 28, 2014
Devotees in religion believe that the god is fair to allow hell to exist for rejects.

I believe that if evil exists, and a god exists, only an evil god would allow a hell TO exist.

Albuquerque, NM

#557623 Aug 28, 2014
confrinting with the word wrote:
<quoted text>
~~~
My judgment is against a faulty religious system....I attempt to confront it (THE SYSTEM) with Scripture from the Bible
I do not judge the individuals in that system....
In turn they attack me personally....
But when they stand in judgment...(WHICH IS NOT MINE TO MAKE)
.THEY CANNOT SAY ...I HAVEN'T HEARD..OR I DID NOT KNOW...THE TRUTH....
THEY SAY I HATE THEM....
but
If i hated them i would not bother to take the time to expose them to the truth of God's word...
nor would I have to absorb their nasty remarks...
I am whom God says I am...Called as a Child and sent 63 years ago.
my Charge is..
2Ti 4:1 I charge thee therefore before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, who shall judge the quick and the dead at his appearing and his kingdom;
2Ti 4:2 Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.
2Ti 4:3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;
2Ti 4:4 And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.
2Ti 4:5 But watch thou in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, make full proof of thy ministry.
FYI - you haven't exposed anyone to the "word of God" - all those texts you use were written and selected by men for you to use.

Please don't mislead others with false information.

Prince George, Canada

#557624 Aug 28, 2014
Why would a god punish non-human animals with such horrific suffering, when the god could have made a perfect plan, but chose to NOT make a perfect plan.

Religion is total BUNK!

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#557625 Aug 28, 2014
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah yes....our old friend PERCEPTION.....something we all have.....probably connected to free will in some 'subsist' way (that would be if Plato were here to comment on this discussion).
- That would be cool, huh?
:o)
Although you post as if you think y our perception is accurate - you've actuallyjust proven that "God" has no control over the actions of humans, thus a choice is now required for one to either believe or not.
You chose to believe - that would be Self, perception, and choice all rolled up into one nice little package.....yet you still refute that it occurred or more precisely - that it is wrong to do these things.
Sounds like you have been listening to men for way too long.....as you are starting to sopund like the Pharisees and other antagonists int he Bible.....ignorant of the "subsist" that make up forms.
Maybe a suggestion to read some of Plato's work will help you better understand the physical and the spiritual, the mundane and the estoterical, etc.
NASL

Peace

It has been awhile since I read Plato, but of course his views interacted with Christianity.

If I have proved to you that God does not control humanity, then there must be free-will, or then perhaps you postulate that some Supreme Self-Consciousness is at work through individuals or humanity as a whole?

I prefer to keep it simple, that there is a God, that God gave me free-will, and God interacts with His Creation. My choice for I have perceived through personal experiences all three of these.

Peace

“Its better when its original”

Since: Mar 13

Let's Play

#557626 Aug 28, 2014
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
PAD,
As Christians, one of our responsibilities is to KNOW what sound doctrine is.....
Since what takes up residence in our minds is of great consequence with regard to our salvation, we must constantly be on guard.
Amen...The Bible says to put on the whole armor to stand.
11 Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.

Oh, I think Truth is a very good name for you. Because from what I have heard you say on your posts is truth and backed with the word of God.

Albuquerque, NM

#557627 Aug 28, 2014
confrinting with the word wrote:

At 80 years of age ....the warfare is still there and active between my spirit and my flesh.
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
I happen to be very fond of my flesh. But then I never believed that I had a spirit that was at war with my flesh.
Humans create their own "warfare" within their minds - to make themselves believe in the odd ways we do.

GiF's metaphor is unrealistic in truth....but esoteric (mind/consciousness/Self) in nature.

If you look at his analogy from a perspective of he being 80 years old - his body is old....and decrepit....so he probably is "fighting" [warfare] to maintain his health. Many older/senior folks say this...."My mind is sharp - but my body just can't keep up."

This in a metaphoric way - is exactly like GiF sought to clarify.

But June - since you are more aligned to seek out argumentative exchanges, I can understand how you totally missed what he was saying.

Carry on.
Michael

Hamilton, Canada

#557628 Aug 28, 2014
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
I’ve been to many funerals where the preachers did not mention the word heaven or hell … especially where suicide was involved, or someone died that they were sure was a heretic.
Preachers that know how to pad their nests with good fortune in the collection basket … better know which words to delete from their sermons.
........Last year in our city a high profile Italian mobster died. Throughout the years according to our media he raised havoc with his mob connections in drugs, prostitution, strong arm tactics, extortion and whacking people. His funeral was held at our catholic cathedral with all the trimmings including choir, honor guard white casket with 20 white limousines.

...,The next day our media showed 3 priests who were involved with the church service greeting mourners.

.......Doesn't matter right from wrong with religion........money always talks.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Play "end of the word" part 2 (Dec '15) 4 min Athena18 2,603
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 9 min Catcher1 64,813
American Soldiers - Duty, Honor, Country (Jun '11) 12 min DENG 39,121
when is it ok to have sex with a cops wife? (Apr '13) 13 min 53Brian 5
Queen Cleopatra was clearly Black. White people... (Aug '10) 18 min Johnny 850
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 57 min The Hangman 973,963
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 1 hr Pegasus 281,957
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 1 hr RiccardoFire 106,613
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 1 hr RiccardoFire 45,305
More from around the web