Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 646492 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Liam

Saint Paul, MN

#555892 Aug 21, 2014
Chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
Then you have a problem because of Ephesians 2:8
?
She has a problem because of Ephesians 2:8?
Gulp.
Chuck

Dublin, OH

#555893 Aug 21, 2014
seriously the original wrote:
<quoted text> I am unworthy, and I am just grateful for the crumbs from the master table.
If you are unworthy, then how can you keep your salvation?

“Its better when its original”

Since: Mar 13

Let's Play

#555894 Aug 21, 2014
Chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
Then you have a problem because of Ephesians 2:8
For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God,
If salvation is also by your works, how are you still saved by grace?
Ephesians 2:8 is most definitely true. I could not save myself or forgive my sins. I needed an advocate whose name is Jesus Christ. He died on a cross so that I might be saved. So yes I need grace to be saved and I need grace to do the work of God. But I had better be trying to do my best and following Jesus....or I myself by sinning am denying Jesus and turning from his grace. Try reading the rest of Ephesians and look at what all it is talking about.
Ephesians 4
1 I therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you that ye walk worthy of the vocation wherewith ye are called,

17 This I say therefore, and testify in the Lord, that ye henceforth walk not as other Gentiles walk, in the vanity of their mind,

18 Having the understanding darkened, being alienated from the life of God through the ignorance that is in them, because of the blindness of their heart:

19 Who being past feeling have given themselves over unto lasciviousness, to work all uncleanness with greediness.

20 But ye have not so learned Christ;

21 If so be that ye have heard him, and have been taught by him, as the truth is in Jesus:

22 That ye put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts;

23 And be renewed in the spirit of your mind;

So why do people take one part and try and leave the rest out....we cannot just take what we want we have to take the whole book.

2 Peter 2:20
For if after they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, they are again entangled therein, and overcome, the latter end is worse with them than the beginning.
Chuck

Dublin, OH

#555895 Aug 21, 2014
Liam wrote:
<quoted text>
She has a problem because of Ephesians 2:8?
Gulp.
I've been away but one thing remains the same. Your posts are still stupid that bring nothing to the forum. At least throw in a "42,000 denominations" or "you re no authority on scripture".

That is the catholic go to reply when the scripture presented contradicts their doctrine.

Let's Play

#555896 Aug 21, 2014
Chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
Through the grace of God. But I cannot just do whatever I want and expect it to keep me. God will not continue to walk with me if I continue to sin and walk away from him and his marvelous grace. Because if I willfully sin I am turning from God and his grace.
Chuck

Dublin, OH

#555897 Aug 21, 2014
<quoted text>Ephesians 2:8 is most definitely true.
If it's definitely true, then why post faith without works is dead? That is contradicting ...no?

Let's Play

#555898 Aug 21, 2014
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
"THEY" were mislead.
What about YOU???
Here's an AHHHAAA moment for you. What if Satan is leading you to preach, and God has nothing to do with what you are preaching at others?
Remember that according to theology ... both God AND Satan live in that bible.
Bunkology!
Here's how I know. I will not state my opinion as fact, but will quote the Word of God. My opinions do not matter. The Word of God is the only truth and the way. It is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my ways. So that is why I say I have to study and pray for understanding. I do not know everything and if I get in my self then I am wrong. I want to let God have his way and teach me of his ways. I don't ever want to be found standing in his way with my own thoughts.
Chuck

Dublin, OH

#555899 Aug 21, 2014
<quoted text>Through the grace of God. But I cannot just do whatever I want and expect it to keep me. God will not continue to walk with me if I continue to sin and walk away from him and his marvelous grace. Because if I willfully sin I am turning from God and his grace.
Who said you can do what you want after you receive salvation...I didn't.

If you willfully sin.....

which brings us back to this:

No one born of God makes a practice of sinning, for God’s seed abides in him, and he cannot keep on sinning because he has been born of God.

Since: Nov 12

Sacramento, CA

#555900 Aug 21, 2014
Chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
Grace

Let's Play

#555901 Aug 21, 2014
Chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
If it's definitely true, then why post faith without works is dead? That is contradicting ...no?
Please just read the Bible it explains it. Take the whole book because it does link together. Don't just read one line or verse take it all.
James 2
17 Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.

18 Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.

19 Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.

20 But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?

21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar?

22 Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect?

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#555902 Aug 21, 2014
Holy dr Shrink wrote:
<quoted text>
I feel sorry for you double sorry
1/you act like first century enemy of true disciples, today JW
2/ I feel sorry,that Lill whispers was hijacked not you,
but I love you me dear retarded false believer, and encourage to open door for JW,who can help you to have basic understanding of The Bible,
because now you are complete dumb butt, have ears and not hear,have eyes and not see,
just very dead worthless heart without of any soul?
and you have a filthy mouth for someone that is giving advice to me..... practice what you preach and then maybe, maybe people will see you in a different light. If you love me as you say, you will do this....
Michael

Hamilton, Canada

#555903 Aug 21, 2014
<quoted text>I am not trying to preach at others, I quoted the word of God. I did not write it, I just quoted it. Oh and I don't think any scripture in the Bible is junk. Man should not live by bread alone but by the word of God.
....man wrote the words, and you have no idea what they wrote is true.

....you believe they are true just like others of different beliefs who believe with all their hearts that their ancestors wrote the truth.

...your belief is personal, but doesn't mean its right.
Chuck

Dublin, OH

#555904 Aug 21, 2014
<quoted text>Please just read the Bible it explains it. Take the whole book because it does link together. Don't just read one line or verse take it all.
James 2
17 Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.
18 Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.
19 Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.
20 But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?
21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar?
22 Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect?
I have read the bible.

You said Eph 2:8 is definitely true and then you post James 2 faith without works is dead.

how does Ephesians not contradict what James says??

Remember...you said Eph 2:8 is definitely true.

Location hidden

#555905 Aug 21, 2014
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
OH!
Well, I understand that the Jehovah's Witnesses, just as do you, believe they know the one and only universal truth, and that they don't know any better than to try to convince others to their religious was of perceiving. So I am always kind to them.
Yesterday, after they asked me if I had a religious affiliation, I informed them that I am an Atheist.
They smiled (as their training took hold) and pretended that all was well between us. They agreed that we all have different ways of believing ... then proceeded to point out the article about why suffering exists in Jehovah's world.
I told them I would read the pamphlet, which I started last evening before sleep had its way with me.
I was thankful that I opened my door to them and in turn, treated them with kindness.
Then you should be able to do the same with the believers here ......lol that was my point...you are capable of kindness. let it shine!

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#555906 Aug 21, 2014
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Probably for the same reason you are certain that YOU have to intercede.
God can't his own business without help ... and apparently lots OF it!
:)
I don't think you understand.

I don't intercede with anyone's life except my family's.

Are you feeling left out?

Albuquerque, NM

#555907 Aug 21, 2014
Seraphima wrote:
<quoted text> Well I look forward to living with my daughter and leaving my clothes on the floor and never cleaning my room and talking on the phone while listening to my Janis Joplin records full blast....
Do you really want to be grounded to your room until it is cleaned?

:o)

Location hidden

#555908 Aug 21, 2014
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you really want to be grounded to your room until it is cleaned?
:o)
If I remember correctly she didn't listen and was rebellious teenager. I intend to be the same...lol

“GOD SO LOVED US”

Since: Aug 08

He Gave His SON,JESUS Christ

#555909 Aug 21, 2014
pusherman_ wrote:
<quoted text> Why are you convinced that Jesus is the savior and not the anti christ?
I only ask that question out of curiosity and not disrespect..
He ( Jesus ) cleared mans way to talk with God personally, yet he says, no one come to the father except through me, and He is basically saying that man needs no Intermediary between God and Man..
" Even Satan Masquerades Around As Light"
The very name,Antichrist means,against Christ . And yes the Evil one is a deceiver, however ...

Jesus cured people ..TOLD THEM THE most important commandments were to love,GOD and each other (the evil one,will not tell us,to love God, imo)

He was,mercilessly killed as a sacrifice for sin..as prophesied by Isaih , by HIS STRIPES we,are healed.
He rose,from the dead ...his,Father said THIS,IS,MY BELOVED SON .

none of these,things,and much more fit any type,of antichrist......encouraged, nail s in His flesh , SACRIFICED , the vehicle ordained by the Creator to pay for SIN.....but only a,PERFECT sacrifice pays God's,perfect justice .

So NO , Jesus was THE CHRIST .. not anti anything but sin and man's,perversion of RELIGION .
renting the VEIL that SEPARATED,GOD FROM MAN..no more,PRIEST OR HIGH PRIEST as intermediaries.

I believe the,apostles were the messengers of the Great Commision.

The more I learn, I don't believe the Temple SYSTEM was to be Followed , at all .

I guess,we will know in the end .

I think man, as usual, took something Simple and beautiful , and complicated it so much that supposedly ONLY THEOLOGIANS , priests, bishops , can tell us,what Jesus,meant ....and nit only Catholics, though they have the priests. Others,believe,only their education and interpretation holds,true .

Jesus,told us,FAITH ,eternal life, born again ,are basics,along with then loving God and each other, forgiveness to us AND by us,...and do this in remembrance .

Catholics,say only in their Church....is salvation..so do others a few on here.

Jesus,said be born again ...I AM THE WAY .

do we have the,gift of grace in order that WE BELIEVE IN HIM..

that is,the question ...and answer to your question..

Let's Play

#555910 Aug 21, 2014
Chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
I have read the bible.
You said Eph 2:8 is definitely true and then you post James 2 faith without works is dead.
how does Ephesians not contradict what James says??
Remember...you said Eph 2:8 is definitely true.
It all goes hand in hand when you take it as a whole.

By grace we are saved not of our own works it is the gift of God.....Once saved we are supposed to do the works of God not man.....I can not do the works of God without grace. I could not save myself it took a Savior, Jesus Christ. In me there is no good work, but by the Grace of God I am able to do good works....not of myself.....but of grace. But if I do not even try to do good works I am not using grace....faith and grace is dead without works......

Albuquerque, NM

#555911 Aug 21, 2014
Liam wrote:
<quoted text>
Pssst, the world has no original manuscripts of the Bible.
Correct the 4th C editions of the Vaticanus and Siniaticus are the oldest known.

Good - you are being to research this. Which also shows that any since the original autographs are not present, one can honestly admit that they are not quite sure on if the words they read today are accurate to the time they were written.

Bart Ehrman's "Misquoting Jesus" clearly shows that the books you read today are not he original versions.
Liam wrote:
<quoted text>The earliest copies of the copies of the copies' copies is 1,600 yrs old. It was in a codex type 'book' that was done shorltly before Christians had a Bible
1. It contains the 7 Books that Protestants say we "added" at the council of Trent.
2. It contains 2 additional Books not even in the NT canon today - the Epistle of Barnabes and the Shepherd of Hermas.
Maybe you should be taking your teaching skills to your next Bible study. Be sure to include the scholarship citations that express how GoThomas has been noted to be an earlier text written than GoMark....and looks to have been a source for Luke and Matthew.

If you keep studying, you will eventually have to review and study non-canonical texts, so you can better understand the canon and what it means.
Liam wrote:
<quoted text>You see, NASL, you and your "New age" philosophy have no choice but to accept the authority of the Catholic Church, who YOU have to trust, properly put together and translated Mathew, Mark, Luke and John - and you do not know if it is articulated in it's original form - but you trust these men that they got Jesus' words right, over and over and over again, in multiple languages.
"you and your "New age" philosophy have no choice but to accept the authority of the Catholic Church,"
- OOPS - your arrogance is showing.
- FYI I tried to understand and accept the CC, but ya know, it just doesn't have all the information to make me want to think they are worth accepting or "God" forbid, "have to trust". Gosh....you are really trying to push your ego to the limits, huh? Your self-righteous attitude isn't what Jesus taught at all. In fact, he spoke out against it quite often.

http://www.gnosis.org/naghamm/gth_pat_rob.htm
(28) Jesus says:

(1) "I stood in the middle of the world, and in flesh I appeared to them.
(2) I found all of them drunk. None of them did I find thirsty.
(3) And my soul ached for the children of humanity,
because they are blind in their heart, and they cannot see;
for they came into the world empty,
(and) they also seek to depart from the world empty.
(4) But now they are drunk.
(But) when they shake off their wine, then they will change their mind."

Why don't you believe Jesus?
Liam wrote:
<quoted text>More on the worlds oldest Bible (and btw, this debunks sola scripture yet again) archeology and historic artifacts are no friend to protestanism.
www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/europe/07/06/ancient.b...
The CNN link may provide you with some information, but a better link is this one.....which allows you to read the Codex Siniaticus online.

http://www.codexsinaiticus.org/en/manuscript....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 3 min Clearwater 48,382
Play "end of the word" part 2 (Dec '15) 12 min WasteWater 2,027
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 16 min Rosa_Winkel 971,621
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 21 min spinosaurus baryonyx 618,563
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 27 min Rosa_Winkel 445,708
Jesus and Muhammad were FRAUDS 31 min Truthiness 5
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 35 min Toby 105,567
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 1 hr onemale 281,238
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 7 hr Freebird USA 182,639
More from around the web