Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 590545 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#554342 Aug 12, 2014
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:

No life outside your own - has no bearing on you.
Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
Not entirely true and woefully incomplete.
Correct - to some extent.

Please tell me how it is "woefully incomplete".

While you are posting that response, please be sure to include how another person's life has bearing on you. And I am not talking about your children, spouse, or another family member who is loved.

I'm referring to so-called "Christians" who think that they know what is best for another person or stranger.
Free Agent of Jesus

Chicago, IL

#554343 Aug 12, 2014
LTM wrote:
Bible Verse of the Day
1There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
2For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.
Romans 8:1-2 (KJV)
www.Christ.com
Read the Scripture: Jeremiah 12:1-17
close
How long will the land lie parched and the grass in every field be withered?...“If you have raced with men on foot and they have worn you out, how can you compete with horses? If you stumble in safe country, how will you manage in the thickets by the Jordan?” Jeremiah 12:4a-5
Jeremiah cries out to God with some troubled questions on his mind. These are the standard questions people ask when things begin to go wrong in an individual life, or in the life of a community, or a nation. I heard recently that a very well-known and well-liked high school girl disappeared mysteriously a few days before, and no one knew where she was. All her high school friends were praying for her. She was a Christian, and they were sure that God would protect her. But word came that her body had been found. She had been abused and killed. These young people were stunned, and they were asking the same question:“Why? If there's a God of love and power, why couldn't he have done something about it? If he is a God of power, he could act. If he is a God of love, he would want to act. Why does he sit there and let things like this happen?” That is one of the great questions thrown at our faith. It is for this very reason that Jeremiah was crying out to God.
God's response is very interesting. In essence, God says,“Jeremiah, what are you going to do when it gets worse? If these kinds of things throw you, if your faith is challenged and you are upset and you cry out to me and ask these questions, what are you going to do when it gets very much worse? Then where are you going to turn? What are you going to stand on then? If you have been running with the men on foot and have gotten tired, then what are you going to do when you have to run against horses? And if in running through the open prairie you fall down, what are you going to do when you have to struggle through a hot, sweaty jungle, whose thick growth impedes your progress in every way?” These are searching questions, are they not?
We know that Jesus said that, as we near the end, there will come earthquakes and famines and wars, with nation rising up against nation, and that frightening things in the sea — the roaring of the waves — would make men afraid. And he called all this “the beginnings of sorrow”— merely the beginnings of sorrow. God's question to Jeremiah — and to us — is,“Now, if faith grows cold and faint and weak in the midst of the pressures of today, what are you going to do when it gets worse? How will you compete with horses, when you give in against men on foot?”
Well, Jeremiah expected God to lift the burden. I think most of us are due for a shock in our Christian lives when we reach that stage in Christian development in which we expect God constantly to work out our problems on easy terms ... and then one day he doesn't do it! That is always a shocking time to us, but that is where Jeremiah is right now. God does not say,“Don't worry, Jeremiah, I'll work out your problems. I'll take care of everything. You won't have any more strain. Go right back to work.” He says,“Jeremiah, it's going to get worse, a lot worse; what are you going to do then?”
Lord, grant me the strength I need to be prepared for whatever may come my way. I know I don't have the strength within myself to endure, but you can strengthen me to even manage in the thickets by the Jordan.
Thank you for that powerful message, LTM. Heard a sermon many years ago along that line.

United States

#554344 Aug 12, 2014
guest wrote:
Hey, hojo,
-
Why don't you try to "correctly" RE-WORD what the POPE has said?
-
or would that be blasphemy? Sacrilege?
-
The POPE certainly did not consider it blasphemy or sacrilege against Jesus Christ when he ordered the torture and murder of *heretics*!
-
So, hojo,
in your "infinite wisdom" ... could you PLEASE re-word what the pope said when he said it is OK to torture and murder heretics? You know which pope I mean .... I've listed his name plenty of times ...
It's in a Wiki article and subject to YOU ... YOURSELF ... actually going in and changing it if the information has been WRONGLY REPORTED!
Imagine that! EVERYONE ON THE PLANET CAN CORRECT IT, IF WIKI ERRS!
-
Yes. YOU *yourself* actually have the RIGHT to GO IN and change erroneous information!
-
There, hojo
go in and re-word Wikipedia!
I dare you!
-
-
hojo wrote:
The inappropriate actions of one or two Popes (hundreds of years ago , doesn't change ANYTHING when it relates to the TRUTH (which is the FULLNESS of the TRUTH) of what the One True Apostolic Catholic Church (actually teaches and believes) as it (always) has for over 2000 years .... It is the ONLY a Church (the Only TRUE CHURCH formed, established and initiated by Jesus HIMSELF----therefore there is " nothing" to discuss with regard to your contention.....
-
-
You know ... IF it were only one or two popes who screwed up so badly - you might have an argument there.
-
But it's NOT just one or two popes.
It's quite a number of popes - all through the centuries of Inquisition.
-
It is also all the bloodthirsty sycophants following the pope's guidance without questioning him.
here's just ONE example:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cathars
Arnaud-Amaury wrote to Pope Innocent III, "Today your Holiness, twenty thousand heretics were put to the sword, regardless of rank, age, or sex."
-
You Catholics have said, over and over, that the 'heretics' were turned over to the secular authorities for punishment.
But all the SECULAR AUTHORITIES were CATHOLIC - so you don't get to skate on that one!
-
A church started by Jesus Christ would have to STAY TRUE to HIS teachings. And Christ never said go forth and torture and murder heretics.
-
You all say the church is an *unbroken chain* down through the centuries - 2000 years (almost 2000 years). Well, I guess that is true. But the church is evil, and pagan, and is not the church Christ started. Not by a long shot.

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#554345 Aug 12, 2014
Pad wrote:
<quoted text>No matter how you posters slice it and dice it,Luther and the Reformers as they are called to this day, began,in other words they opened the can of WORMS,which smelled putrid to the LORD of Hosts.The sins and abuses,the corruption of the Magesterium in those days needed to be confronted,and GOD chose to use men,who are yet sinners,and were spawned no doubt by the corruption of that Religious Political system you love so dearly. It is obvious that God did not have a strong passion for what resulted in Europe during those periods of time that RCism ruled with a corrupted force,putting the Word of God in chains as it were,and using man-made tradtions as the tenents of God, Who was forgotten,as He never changed,and His Son is the Same Yesterday,Today and forever.
No religious system has the right to change anything,and God will judge either presently or in the future age to come.He is not mocked,and He will do what He has purposed,no matter what we do,or plan to do,with or without Him. It is as important today to keep with Him and His commandments,as it was in the days of the Reformation.Jesus said He came with the sword to divide that which was of Him from that which basically is against Him,but claims to be His. God is very patient. These times are different,and we shall have a whole new set of circumstances to be confronted with. The Reformation is past,done and had its place in history. It is not meant for you RCs to take back as it were, what you thought might have been taken from you in the Reformation. Christ wants all of us to follow Him,and it is down right obvious,and fiscal clear that our denominations and "Church Affiliations" will not be the impetus to cause believers to follow Christ passionately,only the Holy Spirit can do that!
PAD

Peace good friend

Another view I consider of Europe, as much then, as the world today, is that it is worldly by nature. It had no primacy for God, but we of European descent put much pride in our roots.

To me it was a barbaric place of fighting, just as any place on this earth. Europe was not even as advanced as China in many respects.

It is merely that fallible people assumed the roles of governing bodies, and in some cases did accomplish spreading the Christian message in Europe, which led to it being a bastion against raiders from the East.

For the true Christian, it is way past time to put such events of old Europe behind and look forward to Christ.

Peace

United States

#554346 Aug 12, 2014
hojo wrote:
SIMPLE!!!!......God--in revealing The TRUTH of the TRUE Interpretation of the Bible DOES NOT contradict iHIMSELf---------(nor)-------D oes HIS WORD contradict itself!.........For over 450 years since the Protestant Reformation there has been NOTHING BUT
"Contradiction, inconsistency, confusion and conflicting interpretations of the bible by EVERY" bible only self-interpreting preacher teacher and lay person in EVERY Protestant (splintered man-made) denomination....
-
-
Contradiction, inconsistency, confusion and conflicting interpretations of the bible by the popes -
-
KILL the heretics ... DON'T KILL the heretics ..
TORTURE ... don't torture
blah, blah
they DO all agree on the Pagan rites and rituals though.. that is consistent.
doesn't that tell you something?
Michael

Kitchener, Canada

#554347 Aug 12, 2014
Pad wrote:
<quoted text>Historically and by the mouths of so many witnesses throughout the ages,confirm the authenticity of truth when it transforms lives. It is the transformed life interconnected with the Scriptures and what has been proven through experience,why so many believers both in the Catholic and non-Catholic Christian persuasions contend for its WORTH.
It is a spiritual intimacy with God that brings about the realization of seeing His truth written in the Scriptures. Those men who wrote the Scriptures,or who had others write for them(Paul's eyes were bad,and he did have another person write for him), were convinced and as ardent to passionately follow Christ, with due respect to the Holy Spirit who inspired them. Such words,such concepts,such doings to follow Christ cannot be part of a big hoax,and survive through the most severest tests of time maintaining the S A M E results as was seen from the 1st century church till now.
Men and women of all the Christian persuasions have received similar experiences,and can relate in such a bond of KNOWING the absolute truth of what Christ is to all who encounter Him by faith. He gives each and every believer a measure of the same faith,with the same knowledge,and the same focus into His character and Nature.
It is the end results of what Christ gives to His Body(the believers) that proves without any real doubt the absolute integrity,and awesomeness of His Person that is revealed in the Scriptures. Read Isaiah 53,sometime Michael,and realize that that was written many centuries before Christ even came.Jesus' death and purpose of His death is very clear in the narrative by Isaiah.Many Jews have found their Messiah in reading just that chapter from Isaiah,let alone the many other verses in the OT that describe the Son in so many different ways.
The Bible may not be a Book that we can prove by showing you the author,where he was educated,or whether he was a gifted writer or whatever else,but we know that when reading the Word and acting upon it,the SAME results of faith,love,and truth witness to every generation that reads it and experiences IT!
...,what do you mean historically,by the mouths of so many witnesses throughout the ages.

....the only people who believe these stories are Christians, and the only source they get their material is christian material.

....imagine if ALL the thousands of stories and actions pertaining to the 5 year civil war was just told by one select group of people and no one else wrote anything? Would you believe that?

....The life of Jesus spanned over 33 years and the first story day one! the miraculous birth was nor mentioned by anyone until 80 years later, and the story teller witnessed nothing.

...tell such happenings to someone outside of Christianity and see their reaction.

....we have all been programmed from childhood that these stories no matter how silly some seem to be are true. Catholics believe they eat the flesh and drink the actual blood of Jesus. Other christian groups say no.

....we each have to take our own journey and not be influenced by others. If we allow others to influence us, we are not being true to ourselves.

Just Sayin

Antioch, TN

#554348 Aug 12, 2014
Free Agent of Jesus wrote:
<quoted text>Why can't the RCC get the plan of salvation right? Why do they contradict Jesus and His chosen disciples? I se NO CONFUSION among true Christians about what one must do to be saved. Our testimony and experience is essentially the same, no matter what church or denomination we attend/come from.
Why do you say the RCC "contradicts Jesus and His chosen disciples?"
Michael

Kitchener, Canada

#554349 Aug 12, 2014
guest wrote:
<quoted text>
-
-
<quoted text>
-
-
You know ... IF it were only one or two popes who screwed up so badly - you might have an argument there.
-
But it's NOT just one or two popes.
It's quite a number of popes - all through the centuries of Inquisition.
-
It is also all the bloodthirsty sycophants following the pope's guidance without questioning him.
here's just ONE example:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cathars
Arnaud-Amaury wrote to Pope Innocent III, "Today your Holiness, twenty thousand heretics were put to the sword, regardless of rank, age, or sex."
-
You Catholics have said, over and over, that the 'heretics' were turned over to the secular authorities for punishment.
But all the SECULAR AUTHORITIES were CATHOLIC - so you don't get to skate on that one!
-
A church started by Jesus Christ would have to STAY TRUE to HIS teachings. And Christ never said go forth and torture and murder heretics.
-
You all say the church is an *unbroken chain* down through the centuries - 2000 years (almost 2000 years). Well, I guess that is true. But the church is evil, and pagan, and is not the church Christ started. Not by a long shot.
...Quit putting the catholic scare into hojo. He has already changed his family tree. One day I can see him heading back to protestantism where he will then say catholics have only 1 group, 1 sect. Thats it!!......We have 42,200 he would boast.
Just Sayin

Antioch, TN

#554350 Aug 12, 2014
Differences among Christian faith groups are so great that some observers have suggested that a useful way of classifying Christian groups is to view them as a number of separate religions with different beliefs and practices, who share:

The name "Christianity,"
The text of the Bible, and
Not a great deal else.

http://www.religioustolerance.org/chr_divi.ht...

“OneLordOneFaith Eph4:5”

Since: Apr 08

Saint John Paul II Pray 4 Us.

#554351 Aug 12, 2014
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks Clay .I'm as imperfect as,any human..I answer you because while I don't agree with all you say, I believe you sincere also .....and you don't insult as your fellows seem to be bent on ..
Anyway
My understanding is that while doing Penance , on his knees until they were bloody , and praying , he had a revelation , how much Penance ( which tied in with disgust over selling indulgences , as you said) but the idea that what CHRIST suffered was not enough..
the thought that Jesus on the Cross becoming sin ,iniquity, for us taking in every vile act which was so ALIEN to His perfect being and suffering for it instead of us was NOT ENOUGH ...made no sense to him...how,many steps to climb on his,knees ?????for one single transgression and if he sinned tomorrow,..more steps?????
Jesus did OUR PENANCE , WAS OUR SACRIFICE , OUR SCAPEGOAT and told us we MUST BELIEVE ...that was,his starting point Clay ..as,I understand it ..Jesus,said IT IS FINISHED ...the PRICE is,paid ..not one act by man can add to its.
If we repent sin...we should..if we give to the poor we should ..OUT OF LOVE ..if we say the Lord's,prayer we should to talk to the Love of our lives...not as,a PENANCE ...
Communion we do out of love .....
I'm sure Luther was a product of his time ..I hear he was not good to the Jews....imperfect.
I'm not Lutheran but I did learn something about him..I'm sure others here might have more .
But his premise WAS the teaching of the APOSTLES ....basic..Faith ...works done AS LOVE , because there is,NO WAY WE CAN PAY for sin.if there was,He did NOT need to DIE a horrid death ...
There was also, I truly believe too much secular power in the RCC at the time..
I honestly don't believe bibles,would h a 've been distributed as they were if not for
The faith that came out of the Reformation .
And that is TRUTH and it took the Reformation to put this,at the forefront of Christian belief ...
Blessings to you
It took the reformation to cause Christian confusion as seen here on this forum! Gif disagrees with Preston, merge disagrees with everyone, Ox disagree with everyone, etc, etc..... Sure, Luther did a good thing. NOT!
And Rose, if those people you are talking about are doing their own personal penance by getting on their knees..... So what!
Who are you to judge?
Do you know their thoughts?
Do you know their sin?
Do you know how sorry they are for committing that sin?
For my penance I prefer prayer.
BTW, a Priest does not give the sort of penance you mention, it's their own doing. People in older countries do that, let them be.
Take up your cross, offer it to God.

1peter 2:21
New International Version
To this you were called, because Christ suffered for you, leaving you an example, that you should follow in his steps.

New Living Translation
For God called you to do good, even if it means suffering, just as Christ suffered for you. He is your example, and you must follow in

New American Standard Bible
For you have been called for this purpose, since Christ also suffered for you, leaving you an example for you to follow in His steps,

King James Bible
For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow

International Standard Version
This is, in fact, what you were called to do, because: The Messiah also suffered for you and left an example for you to follow in his steps.

NET Bible
For to this you were called, since Christ also suffered for you, leaving an example for you to follow his steps.

American King James Version
For even hereunto were you called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that you should follow his steps:

American Standard Version
For hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for you, leaving you an example, that ye should follow his steps:
Regina

Toms River, NJ

#554352 Aug 12, 2014
Robert F wrote:
<quoted text>
confronting
Peace
I am of little understanding of what you know of the RCC, but I wish to inform you that at the Mass, the priest does consecrate the wine, and it is transformed into the blood of Jesus Christ.
As a general rule the blood is poured into various cups and offered to all present.
Some people are moved by a more emotional, or intellectual response to God's call, and in time the transformation may be seen may be seen in their lives.
In the case of the RC it appears that the people have been moved by one of taste and texture, the host and blood, which transforms their lives and minds toward Christ.
Perhaps you might ask yourself the question, "Why is it that you cannot allow God to work in a way to a transform them as God sees fit?
Peace
"In the case of the RC it appears that the people have been moved by one of taste and texture, the host and blood, which transforms their lives and minds toward Christ."

Very nice post, Robert. But just to clarify so that there isn't even more (deliberate) misunderstanding among the non-Catholics, we aren't moved by the accidents ("taste and texture") but by Christ himself (his Flesh and Blood).

It's a common mistake, but just as what (and even how) we pray affects what we believe, I'm more and more convinced that these seemingly insignificant errors in language also affect, and sometimes reflect, our beliefs. I catch myself doing the same thing every now and then and am making more of an effort to correct myself. It could be just that we've gotten lazy or sloppy but there are far too many who don't know any better and they've come to believe the error. Sadly, the Protestants have no such concerns, so I'm not sure how he thinks he has any right to even address the matter at all.

Hope you're doing well these days.

#554353 Aug 12, 2014
Success of the first crusades

Today marks the 915th anniversary of the liberation of the Holy City of Jerusalem by the warriors of Christendom on the First Crusade. Those who entered the city in that summer of 1099 had endured three years of battle, starvation, and disease in order to complete their armed pilgrimage to the Holy Sepulchre of the Lord. Eighty percent of their brothers in arms who marched from Europe with them were dead, missing, or had deserted. Those few who remained succeeded in accomplishing the task given to them by Bl. Pope Urban II in the fall of 1095.

The liberation of Jerusalem was a momentous event. Those who returned from it were feted as heroes and known as “Jerusalemites” for the rest of their lives. The story of how the First Crusade succeeded is filled with personal heroics, sacrifice, and miraculous interventions."
Continue here....
http://www.catholic.com/blog/steve-weidenkopf... —the-success-of-the-first-crus ade
Regina

Toms River, NJ

#554354 Aug 12, 2014
StarC wrote:
<quoted text>
It took the reformation to cause Christian confusion as seen here on this forum! Gif disagrees with Preston, merge disagrees with everyone, Ox disagree with everyone, etc, etc..... Sure, Luther did a good thing. NOT!
And Rose, if those people you are talking about are doing their own personal penance by getting on their knees..... So what!
Who are you to judge?
Do you know their sin?
BTW, a Priest does not give the sort of penance you mention, it's their own doing. People in older countries do that, let them be.
To this you were called, because Christ suffered for you, leaving you an example, that you should follow in his steps.
New Living Translation
For God called you to do good, even if it means suffering, just as Christ suffered for you. He is your example, and you must follow in
For you have been called for this purpose, since Christ also suffered for you, leaving you an example for you to follow in His steps,
King James Bible
For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow
This is, in fact, what you were called to do, because: The Messiah also suffered for you and left an example for you to follow in his steps.
NET Bible
For to this you were called, since Christ also suffered for you, leaving an example for you to follow his steps.
For even hereunto were you called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that you should follow his steps:
For hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for you, leaving you an example, that ye should follow his steps:
Or maybe he should have simply gotten up off his knees if they were bleeding. If I'm not mistaken, Luther had a bad problem with scrupulosity, which we know today is a form of obsessive-compulsive disorder. The man had a lot of neuroses. Yes, there were some errors by a few in a very limited area and for a limited time, but if corrections or reforms needed to be made in those limited areas, then he should have done so from within like St. Teresa of Avila, St. John of the Cross, St. Catherine of Sienna. You don't go out and start your own damn church, adding words to Scripture, and throwing out Christian doctrines in a hissy fit.
Regina

Toms River, NJ

#554355 Aug 12, 2014
Robert F wrote:
<quoted text>
PAD
Peace good friend
Another view I consider of Europe, as much then, as the world today, is that it is worldly by nature. It had no primacy for God, but we of European descent put much pride in our roots.
To me it was a barbaric place of fighting, just as any place on this earth. Europe was not even as advanced as China in many respects.
It is merely that fallible people assumed the roles of governing bodies, and in some cases did accomplish spreading the Christian message in Europe, which led to it being a bastion against raiders from the East.
For the true Christian, it is way past time to put such events of old Europe behind and look forward to Christ.
Peace
....or he could study history and find out what really happened, and then put those events behind him and look forward to Christ since he's able to do so in large part *because* of those Crusades.

Peace

Peace
Just Sayin

Antioch, TN

#554356 Aug 12, 2014
Regina wrote:
<quoted text>
Or maybe he should have simply gotten up off his knees if they were bleeding. If I'm not mistaken, Luther had a bad problem with scrupulosity, which we know today is a form of obsessive-compulsive disorder. The man had a lot of neuroses. Yes, there were some errors by a few in a very limited area and for a limited time, but if corrections or reforms needed to be made in those limited areas, then he should have done so from within like St. Teresa of Avila, St. John of the Cross, St. Catherine of Sienna. You don't go out and start your own damn church, adding words to Scripture, and throwing out Christian doctrines in a hissy fit.
Yes, he was neurotic big time. I read in his biography that he pestered his poor confessor for hours a day. Plus he sat on the pot and fumed. That's where he came up with his theology.

"Toilet where Luther strained to produce the Reformation:"
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/10/22/109...

#554357 Aug 12, 2014
Martin Luther
A German against Jews and Catholics, what a surprise!

Snip
" In his final years he wrote polemics against the Jews, the papacy and the Anabaptists, a radical wing of the reforming movement."

"In January 1521, the Pope Leo X excommunicated Luther. He was then summoned to appear at the Diet of Worms, an assembly of the Holy Roman Empire. He refused to recant and Emperor Charles V declared him an outlaw and a heretic. Luther went into hiding at Wartburg Castle. In 1522, he returned to Wittenberg and in 1525 married Katharina von Bora, a former nun, with whom he had six children.

Luther then became involved in the controversy surrounding the Peasants War (1524 - 1526), the leaders of which had used Luther's arguments to justify their revolt. He rejected their demands and upheld the right of the authorities to suppress the revolt, which lost him many supporters.

In 1534, Luther published a complete translation of the bible into German, underlining his belief that people should be able to read it in their own language. The translation contributed significantly to the spread and development of the German language.

Luther's influence spread across northern and eastern Europe and his fame made Wittenberg an intellectual centre. In his final years he wrote polemics against the Jews, the papacy and the Anabaptists, a radical wing of the reforming movement.

Luther died on 18 February 1546 in Eisleben."

#554358 Aug 12, 2014
Called a radical group by Martin Luther (lol)

CHRISTIAN CHOES

ANABAPTISTS

"Anabaptists (meaning "re-baptizers") represent a radical Protestant tradition tracing its history to the 16th century C.E. reformer Ulrich Zwingli. The Anabaptists were distinct because of their assertion of the necessity of adult baptism, rejecting the infant baptism practiced by the Roman Catholic Church. They believed that true baptism required a public confession of both sin and faith, which could only be accomplished as an adult exercise of free will. Another defining characteristic of Anabaptists is their belief in the separation of church and state, and the concept that the church represents the community of saved. Even though the Anabaptist movement began in Zurich, Switzerland, it quickly spread to Moravia and throughout Germany. Many Anabaptists were persecuted in Europe, by both Roman Catholics and other Protestant groups, and most Anabaptist leaders were executed by the end of the 16th century C.E. However, in northern Germany and the Netherlands, pacifist Anabaptists rallied under the leadership of Menno Simons and survived the persecution. Menno's followers would eventually form the Mennonite tradition and become the only lasting Anabaptist tradition. The Mennonites continue to treasure the teachings of Menno, which include thoughts on pacifism, spirituality, and social ideas. Anabaptists, through the Mennonite tradition, are known for their separation from the world (including a refusal of military service), pacifism, radical discipleship, and simplicity of life."
Michael

Kitchener, Canada

#554359 Aug 12, 2014
StarC wrote:
<quoted text>
Who are you to judge?
Do you know their sin?
New Living Translation
King James Bible
NET Bible
....there is no confusion until you start posting.

#554360 Aug 12, 2014
More....CHRISTIAN CHOES

Pentecostalism, charismatic religious movement that gave rise to a number of Protestant churches in the United States in the 20th century and that is unique in its belief that all Christians should seek a post conversion religious experience called baptism with this experience appears to have been common in the Christian movement during its first generations.

Baptism with the Holy Spirit is also believed to be accompanied by a sign, the gift of tongues. This “speaking in tongues” occurs as glossalalia (speech in an unknown language) or xenoglossy (speech in a language known to others but not the speaker).

Speaking in tongues is considered one of the gifts of the Spirit described. Pentecostals believe that those baptized by the Holy Spirit may receive other supernatural gifts that purportedly existed in the early church: the ability to prophesy, to heal, or to interpret speaking in tongues. Faith healing is also part of the Pentecostal tradition, which reflects patterns of faith.

Pentecostal and Charismatic Religion in Los Angeles

Co-Principal Investigator: Richard Flory
Project Manager: Hebah Farrag

Los Angeles has been home to several milestones in the history of the Pentecostal and charismatic Christianity. For example, in addition to being the birthplace of Pentecostalism in 1906, it
(On September 13, 1931, Aimee married David Hutton, a singer in one of Angelus Temple's productions. Hutton, a vaudeville and cabaret performer, was purported to have a questionable past with ladies and alcohol. This marriage caused a scandal both inside and outside the walls of Angelus Temple as many held views of celibacy for anyone whose divorced spouse was still alive.
By 1933, Aimee was under considerable pressure medically and emotionally, with lawsuits against both her and her husband. The stress of it all began to take its toll. David Hutton sought a divorce which was granted in January of 1934. This was followed by various lawsuits, charges and counter-charges. Aimee took a trip around the world for relaxation and rest in 1936, but her popularity had begun to wane.)

is home to Aimee Semple McPherson’s Angelus Temple and the Foursquare Gospel Church, the rise to prominence churches like Calvary Chapel and the Vineyard in the 1970s and 1980s, and the more recent emergence of a distinct orientation toward social action as exemplified in the efforts of the Dream Center, founded by the Assemblies of God.

Today, Los Angeles remains a vibrant, and varied landscape for a variety of Pentecostal and charismatic expressions. Thus, the Pentecostal and Charismatic Research Initiative will include a three-year ethnographic research project to explore the contemporary face of the historic denominations, such as the Assemblies of God and Foursquare Gospel Church, the Black Pentecostal church, and immigrant enclaves of Pentecostal and charismatic Christianity.

Across these three areas, PCRI will locate and map as many Pentecostal and charismatic congregations in Los Angeles. "

http://crcc.usc.edu/initiatives/pcri/la.html

#554361 Aug 12, 2014
On with life.....
Have a fab day!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
*** All Time Favorite Songs *** (Dec '10) 4 min razz58 2,417
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 5 min RiccardoFire 4,525
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 8 min Dave Nelson 839,570
How to do a threesome!! 12 min andet1987 2
Play "end of the word" (Jan '11) 15 min andet1987 5,912
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 16 min RiccardoFire 40,517
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 21 min Jac 100,048
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 4 hr Jingle Clown 271,375
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 10 hr Just Wondering 612,201
More from around the web