Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 599403 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#553390 Aug 7, 2014
Liam wrote:
<quoted text>
The nice thing about Catholicism and Orthodoxy is you don't need to be a Bible scholar to figure out Jesus. We can recieve the word of God in the Eucharist. In fact, Jesus calls it the "New Testament". He never once refers to the New Testament as a collection of Books. Even the Apostle Paul calls the New Testament the Eucharist meal. "this chalice is the blood of the new covenant/testament" (1cor 11:24). My point is: even someone as reliant on scholarly work as you, really don't need to be when it comes to receiving the Lord. Jesus didnt require one to be a Bible scholar to figure Him out. The Eucharist is the summit of Christianity.. "The medicine of immortality" according to John's disciple, St. Ignatius. People don't have to take my word for it, when its available every day for themselves.
Then why don't you accept all of his teachings - no matter where they reside?

Are you afraid of something if you do?
Dust Storm

Minneapolis, MN

#553391 Aug 7, 2014
hojo wrote:
<quoted text>
Please tell us all--"where does it say (in the bible)---(word for word) that the bible is the one and only authority that God chose to convey and transmit His inspired and infallible words of truth!.........The bible (not only ) doesn't say that but it says "just the opposite" by telling us that the CHURCH is the final authority in Paul's letter to Timotthy (I Timothy 3:15 when he says "THE CHURCH" ( not) the bible alone) is the pillar, pinnacle and foundation of the TRUTH. He goes on to say "when there is a disagreement " with regards to interpretation---that we should "take it to the Church"--- not the bible!!!!
Yes he does. Further if we take the church as an invisible conglomerate of individuals with their own authority then they need not agree. They can just start their own or find someone who will side with them who are equally inspired. Its Ridiculous! It is impossible for anyone to be a false teacher if they all use scripture to come to different conclusions with equal inspirration. Hebrews says to Obey those who are over you and do not give them grief. This is tossed aside in defiance stringing together verses and inserting whatever they desire for them to mean. IMany times I have seen Protestants say well nobody really has the truth. Whaaat? Then if you don't have the truth why are you preaching ? What did CHrist mean when he said the holy spirit will guide you to all Truth?

Since: Sep 09

Prince George, Canada

#553392 Aug 7, 2014
I suggest it is not good for the health to brag that one knows the one and only universal truth.

It puts one up tight in the NEED to defend one's personalized valued-dogmas ... and that NEED puts the nerves in a knot, so that the material body can't function in a relaxed "atmosphere."

There is no doubt that stress is a killer.

That attitude of "I'm on CONSTANT DUTY for a divine purpose" can have a high cost to those that invest their faith in such foolishness.

Prince George, Canada

#553393 Aug 7, 2014
Imagine the elderly Catholic who on his death bed was up in a knot that he had not killed enough "heretics" to please "God."

To him, that thought was no doubt "rational."

It did NOT allow him a peaceful death.

Prince George, Canada

#553394 Aug 7, 2014
More BLATANT arrogance.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>>

Brewer’s Dictionary of Phrase & Fable by Ivor H. Evans … First published 1817.

Unam sanctam (Lat., One holy). The opening words of Boniface VIII’s BULL of 1302 declaring that there was “One holy Catholic and Apostolic Church”, membership of which was necessary for salvation.

United States

#553395 Aug 7, 2014
Free Agent of Jesus wrote:
And she sacramentsinfunerarypurple.
Cardinals wear scarlet.
Archbishops wear purple.
-
-
Liam wrote:
"And you shall make a veil of blue, purple and scarlet thread and fine woven linen. It shall be woven with a fine artistic design of cherbim" (exodus 23:30)
"And they clothed Him with purple and twisted a crown of thorns on his head" (Mark 15:17)
Paul's tomb unearthed in Rome.....among the contents: fragments of purple linen.
www.realdiscoveries.info/site
-
-
Oh, you are SOOOO selective, Liam, when defending your church.
-
You believe that because Jewish priests wore these colors, that it justifies The Catholic Church's using these same colors.
-
Now tell me, Liam (IF you can)... just WHAT justifies the Catholic Church in copying every PAGAN Rite and Ritual and using Pagan Symbols in their so-called "Christian" worship?
-
The BIBLE which you just quoted to justify your point here, tells you NOT TO DO what the NATIONS do - but THOSE Bible verses are somehow "misinterpreted" and "twisted" by Christians, aren't they, Liam?

Prince George, Canada

#553396 Aug 7, 2014
This man was SO arrogant as to use a copy of the pope's own bible on which to base HIS claims of knowing universal truth.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>>

A History of Religious Ideas, by Mircea Eliade.

Luther’s theology

In a letter of June 1522, Martin Luther wrote:“I do not admit that my doctrine can be judged by anyone, even by the angels. One who does not receive my doctrine cannot come to salvation.”
USA Born

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

#553397 Aug 7, 2014
Dust Storm wrote:
<quoted text>
No you have blowing smoke with trumped up nonsense feeding hatred with your infallible theory of what Revelation says. You have discussed nothing. You seem to value your opinion of trumped up nonsense and not the word. You need it to be the Catholic church so you can spew your nonsense. The Church is not going to deny Christ we will leave that to those like you who blow with the wind following every wave of Doctrine.. I am sure another book will be out soon where you can join in mass hysteria and cause death and suicide and hatred like others have with the likes of Lindsey and others. You also play no small part in the unrest in the middle east trying to force your own version of bible.
And what you're saying isn't hatred? Quit being paranoid. Nobody hates you. Some here disagree with the RCC just as some disagree with "protetants", that's all.

United States

#553398 Aug 7, 2014
Dust Storm wrote:
"Dearly beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits if they be of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world" 1 John 4:1
Take heed to yourselves, and to the whole flock, wherein the Holy Ghost hath placed you bishops, to rule the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood. I know that, after my departure, ravening wolves will enter in among you, not sparing the flock. And of your own selves shall arise men speaking perverse things, to draw away disciples after them. Acts 20:28-30
Now the Spirit manifestly saith, that in the last times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to spirits of error, and doctrines of devils, Speaking lies in hypocrisy, and having their conscience seared...." 1 Tim 4:1-2
For there shall be a time, when they will not endure sound doctrine; but, according to their own desires, they will heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears: And will indeed turn away their hearing from the truth, but will be turned unto fables. 2 Tim 4:3-4
-
-
USA Born wrote:
Exactly. Here's an example.
1 Timothy 4:1 Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;
2 Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron;
3 Forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth.
4 For every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving:
5 For it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer.
6 If thou put the brethren in remembrance of these things, thou shalt be a good minister of Jesus Christ, nourished up in the words of faith and of good doctrine, whereunto thou hast attained.
7 But refuse profane and old wives' fables, and exercise thyself rather unto godliness.
-
-
Catholics only quote The Word of God when their beliefs DO NOT DEPART *FROM* The Word of God.
-
It would be quite an experiment in reality to REMOVE ALL THE VERSES FROM THE BIBLE that CONTRADICT the Roman Catholic Church.
-
What a mess that would be, huh?
Dust Storm

Minneapolis, MN

#553400 Aug 7, 2014
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
From the book "The History Of Christianity ... The Church from the Reformation to the Present, Volume 2, by Clyde L. Manschreck ... comes the following........
Dedicated to the austere ideals of Cluny, Gregory sought to enforce clerical celibacy not only as a purer state but as a means of freeing the church from the world. In1074 he prohibited future marriages and ordered married priests to dismiss their wives or give up reading mass. Clerical marriage from his viewpoint was no better than fornication. Laymen were urged not to take the sacraments from such guilty priests. Havoc resulted. Priests were insulted, tortured; some were driven to suicide, some even murdered. Legal wives became harlots, and legitimate children, bastards. But Gregory moved relentlessly forward, unseating bishops who opposed him, especially in the north. He enforced clerical celibacy, but at a great price and without permanence, for at the time of the Reformation in the sixteenth century the church was licensing clerical concubines and taxing the children of bishops.
Not relevant to the point that there were groups who were teaching that marriage in itself was evil and forbidden as well as meat, but to answer your snipit of unfounded allegation. This is accepted by credible historians from an Eastern Orthodox site.

The Catholic Encyclopedia summarizes:
A terrible picture of the decay both of clerical morality and of all sense of anything like vocation is drawn in the writings of St. Peter Damian, particularly in his “Liber Gomorrhianus.” The style, no doubt, is rhetorical and exaggerated, and his authority as an eyewitness does not extend beyond that district of Northern Italy, in which he lived, but we have evidence from other sources that the corruption was widespread… Undoubtedly during this period the traditions of sacerdotal celibacy in Western Christendom suffered severely but even though a large number of the clergy, not only priests but bishops, openly took wives and begot children to whom they transmitted their benefices, the principle of celibacy was never completely surrendered in the official enactments of the Church.

It is under the strong pontificate of Pope Gregory VII (Hilderbrand) that the Latin Church addressed the matter with a firm adoption of life-long celibacy as the best solution for all:
With Pope St. Leo IX, St. Gregory VII (Hildebrand), and their successors, a determined and successful stand was made against the further spread of corruption. For a while in certain districts where effective interference appeared hopeless, it would seem that various synodal enactments allowed the rural clergy to retain the wives to whom they had previously been married. See, for example, the Councils of Lisieux of 1064, Rouen in 1063 and 1072, and Winchester, this last presided over by Lanfranc, in 1076. In all these we may possibly trace the personal influence of William the Conqueror. But despite these concessions, the attitude of Gregory VII remained firm, and the reform which he consolidated has never subsequently been set aside… The point is of importance because the evidence seems to show that in this long struggle the whole of the more high-principled and more learned section of the clergy was enlisted in the cause of celibacy.

The council of Trent, in its Doctrine on the Sacrament of Orders (1563) stipulated that although celibacy was not a divine law, the Church had the authority to impose celibacy as a discipline, which is to this day the practical position of both Roman Catholicism and Eastern Orthodoxy.

http://www.orthodoxanswers.org/celibacy

Prince George, Canada

#553402 Aug 7, 2014
If a young boy has been sexually abused by his priest or his pastor ... that abuse is not only physical ... it is emotional.

And when that boy turns into a man, with testosterone running his emotions ... he might want to know why he was taught by his tor-"mentor" that God has a character of LOVE.

Patrick Mackay as a boy attempted to set fire to a Catholic church.

It's quite possible that the priest molested him when he was a boy and that is WHY Patrick murdered him.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick_Mackay

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#553403 Aug 7, 2014
confrinting with the word wrote:
<quoted text>
~~~
A GREAT EXAMPLE SET FOR A PASTOR IS FOUND IN THE PRIESTHOOD OF AARON..
Exo_28:29 And Aaron shall bear the names of the children of Israel in the breastplate of judgment upon his heart, when he goeth in unto the holy place, for a memorial before the LORD continually.
Exo_28:30 And thou shalt put in the breastplate of judgment the (1) Urim and the
(2) Thummim; and they shall be upon Aaron's heart, when he goeth in before the LORD: and Aaron shall bear the judgment of the children of Israel upon his heart before the LORD continually.
[-->(1) URIM <--DEFINED IN HEBREW.
H217
&#1488;&#1493;&#14 68;&#1512;
'u&#770;r
oor
From H215; flame, hence (in the plural) the East (as being the region of light):- fire, light. See also H224.
H224
&#1488;&#1493;&#14 68;&#1512;&#1497;& #1501;
'u&#770;r&#305;&#7 70;ym
oo-reem'
Plural of H217; lights; Urim, the oracular brilliancy of the figures in the high priest’s breastplate:- Urim.
~~~
(2) THUMMIM DEFINED IN HEBREW.
H8550
&#1514;&#1468;&#15 02;&#1468;&#1497;& #1501;
tu&#770;mm&#305;&# 770;ym
toom-meem'
Plural of H8537; perfections, that is,(technically) one of the epithets of the objects in the high priest’s breastplate as an emblem of complete Truth:- Thummim..]
{NOTE
THE BREAST PLATE CONSISTED OF 12 PRECIOUS...GEMSTONES.}
A PASTOR SHOULD BEAR HIS MEMBERS OF HIS CHURCH UPON HIS HEART WHEN HE when he goeth in before the LORD..
I CAN NOT COMPREHEND THAT A PRIEST or a PASTOR (that is a ) SODOMIZE R ...A FORNICATOR OR AN IDOLATOR..
WOULD HAVE HIS PEOPLE ON HIS MIND...let alone have them ON HIS HEART..of l LUSTFUL ACTIVITY
Jas_1:15 Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death.
and these few verses PROVE that dust storm is lying about Peter being inrome and leaving with trouble stiring in rome.

The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I came that they may have life, and have it abundantly. 11"I am the good shepherd; the good shepherd lays down His life for the sheep. 12"He who is a hired hand, and not a shepherd, who is not the owner of the sheep, sees the wolf coming, and leaves the sheep and flees, and the wolf snatches them and scatters them

Prince George, Canada

#553404 Aug 7, 2014
Dust Storm wrote:
<quoted text>
Not relevant to the point.
To you, only your set version of Catholicism and its universal truth IS relevant.

I don't bother with you much any more, just as I don't bother with Robert of Liam or the Protestant preachers.

You all insist on believing that you know universal truth, and that is where you want to stay ... period!

I post for those who want to study issues from other points of view ... and that is NOT you.

Prince George, Canada

#553405 Aug 7, 2014
Patrick Mackay was labeled as "The Psychopath
The Devil's Disciple."

I believe he was a man stuck in a boy's mentality, that could not escape the memories of his childhood emotional and physical abuse.

Prince George, Canada

#553406 Aug 7, 2014
It's strange how the priests and the pastors that molested children are not referred to as EVIL by those in the congregations that protect their titles.

I guess THEY were not possessed by a devil ... because they were in the churches ... RIGHT???

Double-talking shysters.
Liam

Chicago, IL

#553407 Aug 7, 2014
guest wrote:
<quoted text>
-
-
<quoted text>
-
-
-
You believe that because Jewish priests wore these colors, that it justifies The Catholic Church's using these same colors.
-
Now tell me, Liam (IF you can)... just WHAT justifies the Catholic Church in copying every PAGAN Rite and Ritual and using Pagan Symbols in their so-called "Christian" worship?
-
The BIBLE which you just quoted to justify your point here, tells you NOT TO DO what the NATIONS do - but THOSE Bible verses are somehow "misinterpreted" and "twisted" by Christians, aren't they, Liam?

Catholicism/Christianity flowed from Judaism. Its a continuation of the Davidic Kingdom. Wasn't Jesus also called the Son of David?? Yeah, my fundie friend, you're going to see the same parallels as the OT flowed into the NT. In fact, that's why fundamentals miss the mark...they don't have a clue about the OT Scriptures. I suppose that's
why they yanked 7 books from the Bible.

Since: Aug 14

Kingsport, TN

#553408 Aug 7, 2014
Liam wrote:
This forum is being over run by fanatics! I'll tell you one thing, I'm thankful the Lord showed me His Church and the Eucharist.
I envision some of you pacing back n forth in front of the window of your compound as government agents are outside..
That's right. Jesus said, I am going away but I will not leave you orphans. I will send the Holy Eucharist and you must eat it and I will send my blood and you must drink it. Really?

His Church is not a denomination.
Liam

Chicago, IL

#553409 Aug 7, 2014
guest wrote:
<quoted text>
-
-
<quoted text>
-
-
-
-
Noe, Liam (IF you can)... just WHAT justifies the Catholic Church in copying every PAGAN Rite and Ritual and using Pagan Symbols in their so-called "Christian" worship?
-

....and that's all we need is for you- the leader of the compound- to show up. Speaking of purple and blue colors: u take the blue ribbon in ignorant fanaticism. And you know the truth guest, all of you know the truth at this point. Its either old age that causes posters to ignore truths or ideology....or both. You are simply an ideologue who will spend their entire life being an idiot. I believe this is why Jesus brilliantly gave us the Eucharist.
Liam

Chicago, IL

#553410 Aug 7, 2014
Arnoldj777 wrote:
<quoted text>
That's right. Jesus said, I am going away but I will not leave you orphans. I will send the Holy Eucharist and you must eat it and I will send my blood and you must drink it. Really?
His Church is not a denomination.

Exactly. His Church is not a denomination. You guys left then turned around and called it one.
Exactly on your first point too: He left and gave His Church the Eucharist. The first words of the NT Scriptures didnt even begin until 25-30 yrs after the resurrection. What did u think everyone was doing.... waiting around for an apostle to write something??
USA Born

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

#553411 Aug 7, 2014
guest wrote:
<quoted text>
-
-
<quoted text>
-
-
Catholics only quote The Word of God when their beliefs DO NOT DEPART *FROM* The Word of God.
-
It would be quite an experiment in reality to REMOVE ALL THE VERSES FROM THE BIBLE that CONTRADICT the Roman Catholic Church.
-
What a mess that would be, huh?
It's possible the RCC would have left scripture out had they been the only ones in possession of them.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 3 min Rosa_Winkel 863,885
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 7 min lisw 177,609
There is Everything Wrong with Abortion (Nov '07) 12 min Liam R 221,981
The Christian Atheist debate 15 min ChristINSANITY is... 1,928
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 23 min MUQ2 40,855
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 48 min Great Day of Arma... 612,892
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 57 min dollarsbill 6,376
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 4 hr Charlie Sheen 272,402
More from around the web