Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 20 comments on the Jul 10, 2007, CBC News story titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

KayMarie

Carlisle, PA

#551645 Jul 26, 2014
SCENES. Sorry.
USA Born

Claremont, CA

#551646 Jul 26, 2014
Regina wrote:
<quoted text>
So you're saying St. Paul is contradicting himself? And Christ??
I didn't say anything, I just posted scripture. It says what it says.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#551647 Jul 26, 2014
KayMarie wrote:
who="Oxbow"]<quot ed text>
Quote Scripture that teaches the opposite of the following and you have a fallible Bible..
Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law. And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church.
I commend unto you Phebe our sister, which is a servant of the church which is at Cenchrea:I commend unto you Phebe our sister, which is a servant of the church which is at Cenchrea: That ye receive her in the Lord, as becometh saints, and that ye assist her in whatsoever business she hath need of you: for she hath been a succourer of many, and of myself also.
She was a servant and helped many....
Servant: a person employed by another, esp. to perform domestic duties.
2. a person in the service of another.
3. a person employed by the government: a public servant.
Show me the word "pastor" in that definition.
----------
Check out the word 'servant' in the Greek language...it is better translated 'pastor'.
Also check out Paul's word to the Corinthians. "You are yet 'carnal' and cannot take meat, but must be fed on milk as babes." They allowed sex sin, and squabbled among themselves (so much for that 'perfect' catholic church in the beginning!)
It also defines: an attendant, a waiter, a Christian teacher and pastor (technically, a deacon or deaconess):deacon, minister, servant.(technically: according to the exact meaning)

It could be argued she was an attendant, or that she was a waiter, or a pastor (technically, a deacon or deaconess):deacon, minister, servant..(technically: according to the exact meaning)

Which definition is correct is determinded by the word " succourer" in the following verse.

Succourer

Helper.

I commend unto you Phebe our sister, which is a servant of the church which is at Cenchrea: that ye receive her in the Lord, as becometh saints, and that ye assist her in whatsoever business she hath need of you: for she hath been a SUCCOURER of many, and of myself also.( Romans 16:2 ) Source: A King James Dictionary.(Used with permission. Copyright © Philip P. Kapusta)

A servant is a helper....servants help...that is what they do....

See also:
The pride of thine heart hath deceived thee, thou that dwellest in the clefts of the rock, whose habitation is high; that saith in his heart, Who shall bring me down to the ground?
Though thou exalt thyself as the eagle, and though thou set thy nest among the stars, thence will I bring thee down, saith the LORD.
markleman

Pittsburgh, PA

#551648 Jul 26, 2014
hojo

Dagsboro, DE

#551649 Jul 26, 2014
USA Born wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't have any traditions I
This statement only shows how disjointed and out- of-touch you bible only 21st century "fundamentalists" are when it comes to the TRUTH of the Bible and the TRUTH of TRUE Apostolic Church History.......The Bible IS Tradition, as it was written and interpreted by the Early Church Fathers in 382, 393, and 397AD........ It us the "written" tradition by the "letter" that has been handed down from generation to generation just like the " unwritten tradition" (the oral teachings that were passed down from Jesus Himself to His Apostles by word of mouth and taught, proclaimed and ministered to the a Early Christians in Our Lords One True Universal Catholic Church..(. Paul says 2Thess 2:15 tells us to ". Hold fast to the TRADITIONS ( both oral or written) which were handed down by the Apostles"------Paul " never" says (written alone)
USA Born

Claremont, CA

#551650 Jul 26, 2014
LTM wrote:
<quoted text>
"USA BORN" popes ARE FALSE PROPHETS.
I agree. The first writings of the RCC came from a guy who wasn't born until 130CE. Amazing.
USA Born

Claremont, CA

#551651 Jul 26, 2014
hojo wrote:
<quoted text>
This statement only shows how disjointed and out- of-touch you bible only 21st century "fundamentalists" are when it comes to the TRUTH of the Bible and the TRUTH of TRUE Apostolic Church History.......The Bible IS Tradition, as it was written and interpreted by the Early Church Fathers in 382, 393, and 397AD........ It us the "written" tradition by the "letter" that has been handed down from generation to generation just like the " unwritten tradition" (the oral teachings that were passed down from Jesus Himself to His Apostles by word of mouth and taught, proclaimed and ministered to the a Early Christians in Our Lords One True Universal Catholic Church..(. Paul says 2Thess 2:15 tells us to ". Hold fast to the TRADITIONS ( both oral or written) which were handed down by the Apostles"------Paul " never" says (written alone)
Show me one scripture in the N.T. that says this is a tradition you must keep. It's possible I missed something. In the O.T., God gave the Israelites many traditions to follow, days of observance as well. God always explained why the tradition. The days God set aside were always linked to a specific event.

Again, there are other teachings to be included concerning tradidition.

1 Peter 1:18 Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things, as silver and gold, from your vain conversation received by tradition from your fathers;

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#551652 Jul 26, 2014
atemcowboy wrote:
<quoted text>John chapter 7, verses 37-39.
You REALLY expect me to claim that that experience was not given to me By God.
If I did that, I would lose my soul by Blaspheming the HOLY GHOST.
what I am saying to you is this.
I RECEIVED this gift of the Holy Ghost by desiring His Righteouness
this experience had nothing to do with me belonging to ANY Denomination, It is given to those WHO ARE BORN AGAIN.
something foreign to a catholic who have been lied to into believing that a piece of grain is how they Receive Christ.
I ate no Bread the night that I got Saved, all that I did was ask God to forgive me of my sins,
AND HE DID. AND I KNEW IT, HE MADE IT VERY PLAIN TO ME WHEN I FELT HIS BLODD CLEANSE ME OF MY SINS. THAT IS HOW I CAN BELIEVE IN A [KNOW SO] SALVATION,
BECAUSE I KNEW I WAS SAVED!
Preston

Peace

More easily understood in the NASB John 7:38

" He who believes in Me, as the Scripture said,‘From his innermost being will flow rivers of living water.’”

The KJV sort of implies this, but better stated from the Greek in the NASB.

I think many of us have had spiritual experiences, on this board. And most have been life changing as well....

Peace
KayMarie

Carlisle, PA

#551653 Jul 26, 2014
It also defines: an attendant, a waiter, a Christian teacher and pastor (technically, a deacon or deaconess):deacon, minister, servant.(technically: according to the exact meaning)
It could be argued she was an attendant, or that she was a waiter, or a pastor (technically, a deacon or deaconess):deacon, minister, servant..(technically: according to the exact meaning)
Which definition is correct is determinded by the word " succourer" in the following verse.
Succourer
Helper.
I commend unto you Phebe our sister, which is a servant of the church which is at Cenchrea: that ye receive her in the Lord, as becometh saints, and that ye assist her in whatsoever business she hath need of you: for she hath been a SUCCOURER of many, and of myself also.( Romans 16:2 ) Source: A King James Dictionary.(Used with permission. Copyright © Philip P. Kapusta)
See also:
The pride of thine heart hath deceived thee, thou that dwellest in the clefts of the rock, whose habitation is high; that saith in his heart, Who shall bring me down to the ground?
Though thou exalt thyself as the eagle, and though thou set thy nest among the stars, thence will I bring thee down, saith the LORD.

----------
Real pastors are succourers.
The word is translated 'pastor' when speaking of a man.

“GOD SO LOVED US”

Since: Aug 08

He Gave His SON to Save us

#551654 Jul 26, 2014
KayMarie wrote:
who="RoSesz"]<quo ted text>
Good to see you Kay .
Hope you are doing better . GOD bless you both
----------
Thank you so much. He is blessing us...and you!
Doing ok..bad days and good . I heard you were unwell , so most glad to see you posting ..
Just visited my babies , so that was good :)

I miss Nick and Sera, but as you do I try to keep in touch..she was,not made welcome by a few,here, so it's,probably better she's off here for a,while..

WILL keep you all in my prayers and thoughts.

You know,what's sad is some nights,I just ask Gods blessing for anyone or any thing such as our country and Israel that I promised to hold up in prayer, there are so many these days. I TRUST HIM to know,who needs it.

I've read that our prayers aid in spiritual warfare ...

God watch over you both .

“GOD SO LOVED US”

#551655 Jul 26, 2014
USA Born wrote:
<quoted text>
Pope: Other denominations not true churches
Benedict issues statement asserting that Jesus established ‘only one church’
http://www.nbcnews.com/id/19692094/ns/world_n...
LORENZAGO DI CADORE, Italy — Pope Benedict XVI has reasserted the universal primacy of the Roman Catholic Church, approving a document released Tuesday that says Orthodox churches were defective and that other Christian denominations were not true churches.
Benedict approved a document from his old offices at the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith that restates church teaching on relations with other Christians.
On Saturday, Benedict revisited another key aspect of Vatican II by reviving the old Latin Mass . Traditional Catholics cheered the move, but more liberal ones called it a step back from Vatican II.
Pope Francis Condemns Racism And Declares That “All Religions Are True” At Historic Third Vatican Council | Diversity Chronicle
http://diversitychronicle.wordpress.com/2013/...
•World News
•December 24, 2013
For the last six months, Catholic cardinals, bishops and theologians have been deliberating in Vatican City, discussing the future of the church and redefining long-held Catholic doctrines and dogmas. The Third Vatican Council, is undoubtedly the largest and most important since the Second Vatican Council was concluded in 1962. Pope Francis convened the new council to “finally finish the work of the Second Vatican Council.”
“Through humility, soul searching, and prayerful contemplation we have gained a new understanding of certain dogmas. The church no longer believes in a literal hell where people suffer. This doctrine is incompatible with the infinite love of God. God is not a judge but a friend and a lover of humanity. God seeks not to condemn but only to embrace. Like the fable of Adam and Eve, we see hell as a literary device. Hell is merely a metaphor for the isolated soul, which like all souls ultimately will be united in love with God” Pope Francis declared.
In a speech that shocked many, the Pope claimed “All religions are true, because they are true in the hearts of all those who believe in them. What other kind of truth is there? In the past, the church has been harsh on those it deemed morally wrong or sinful. Today, we no longer judge. Like a loving father, we never condemn our children. Our church is big enough for heterosexuals and homosexuals, for the pro-life and the pro-choice! For conservatives and liberals, even communists are welcome and have joined us. We all love and worship the same God.”
1.“God is changing and evolving as we are, For God lives in us and in our hearts.
2.The Bible is a beautiful holy book, but like all great and ancient works, some passages are outdated.
3.Like the fable of Adam and Eve, we see hell as a literary device. Hell is merely a metaphor for the isolated soul, which like all souls ultimately will be united in love with God” Pope Francis declared.
In accordance with our new understanding, we will begin to ordain women as cardinals, bishops and priests.
All churches are true now, Pope said. So why do you contnue to condemn "Protestant churches? Keep up man!
I'll never follow a man who says the Words of God are outdated or calls the Words of God "fables". What's the point of even reading scripture? Pope says that hell is just a metaphor and I'll be united with God anyway.
I don't think this is a true story..on a third Vatican Council . Not sure if one occurred but I don't believe the Pope used those phrases ..I think the article was meant SADLY as a spoof on religion ...
USA Born

Claremont, CA

#551656 Jul 26, 2014
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think this is a true story..on a third Vatican Council . Not sure if one occurred but I don't believe the Pope used those phrases ..I think the article was meant SADLY as a spoof on religion ...
You're right, he didn't.

“GOD SO LOVED US”

#551657 Jul 26, 2014
USA Born wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm beginning to believe it was a hoax. But then we have to face the reality that the pope truly believes his church is the only true church.
Pretty sure it was supposed to be a very bad spoof .

However I'm more concerned on his,teaching , supposedly and posted here by a Catholic about a,Personal Relationship with Jesus being dangerous..

Though I agreed with some of his comments,quoted that many of us get the seeds of faith planted in our lives by patents, churches, bibles, even another person...the Holy Spirit call those to Christ who are called in any way HE chooses, and in the end our relationship to Jesus is always a,personal one,
And exists whether one is in a church or hiding in a cave reading forbidden pages,of scripture . The ways of the Spirit , the ways of Christ, the ways of the Father are NOT LIMITED by man run institutions ...or rituals ...

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#551658 Jul 26, 2014
KayMarie wrote:
Succourer
Helper.
See also:
----------
Real pastors are succourers.
The word is translated 'pastor' when speaking of a man.
To say that idiotic statement you have to disregard the true definition of succourer and in its place put your own definition!!!!!! Such wisdom!!!! So great is your wisdom that you can correct God's Word...

I'll bet the air is really thin that high up!!!!

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#551659 Jul 26, 2014
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
Guiding you to truth...a freebie....
btw...any post on this public forum is my concern if I so deem it...
HEY !!!!! I FOUND YOUR nose,

IT WAS IN MY BUSINESS, AGAIN
Michael

Kitchener, Canada

#551660 Jul 26, 2014
Regina wrote:
<quoted text>
In reality, the celibacy requirement had absolutely nothing to do with it. A healthy man if unable to keep his vow, would seek out a woman, not a child or teenager. Baptists and other Protestant clergy don't take vows of celibacy and sex abuse is far greater among them than Catholic priests, so your claim is inaccurate.
While "few" are unable to accept it, some are and are called to do so by God. The vast majority of priests.....94-95% are able to. How do you account for that?
ReginaM.

(lol). What a bunch of BS!!

....You should be ashamed of your church for its WORLDWIDE abuses, coverups, vatican money laundering, and nearly.$3 billion in court costs, and you have the nerve to point out others while your very own church leaders have made complete FOOLS of you and the followers, yet you defend them.

...Who in their right mind would continue to be allowed to be manipulated?

Un-believable!
Michael

Kitchener, Canada

#551661 Jul 26, 2014
[QUOTE who="ReginaM."]Don’t fall for this Pope Francis hoax: 5 things to know and share
Read more: http://www.ncregister.com/blog/jimmy-akin/don...
[/QUOTE]

ReginaM.

....An organization this big and they can NEVER get their PR right? Does anyone in the church know how to tell the truth and get a story straight?..... Come On!!

..It doesn't matter who the pope is, when they speak its always dysfunctional.
KayMarie

Carlisle, PA

#551662 Jul 26, 2014
who="RoSesz"]<quo ted text>
Doing ok..bad days and good . I heard you were unwell , so most glad to see you posting ..
Just visited my babies , so that was good :)
I miss Nick and Sera, but as you do I try to keep in touch..she was,not made welcome by a few,here, so it's,probably better she's off here for a,while..
WILL keep you all in my prayers and thoughts.
You know,what's sad is some nights,I just ask Gods blessing for anyone or any thing such as our country and Israel that I promised to hold up in prayer, there are so many these days. I TRUST HIM to know,who needs it.
I've read that our prayers aid in spiritual warfare ...
God watch over you both .
----------
Tell Sera that she is missed...and loved.
Our prayers are urgent. Rev. says that they are presented to God as sweet incense...and prayer DOES change things. God knows the longing of our hearts...even when we don't have the words to explain them.
I just watched the true story "Heaven Is For Real"...VERY touching.
KayMarie

Carlisle, PA

#551663 Jul 26, 2014
To say that idiotic statement you have to disregard the true definition of succourer and in its place put your own definition!!!!!! Such wisdom!!!! So great is your wisdom that you can correct God's Word...
I'll bet the air is really thin that high up!!!!

----------
I did not define 'succourer'. I was speaking of 'servant', which in the Greek can be translated 'pastor'...and IS when speaking of a male 'servant'.

The VIEW is tremendous...:)
KayMarie

Carlisle, PA

#551664 Jul 26, 2014
P.S. The translators were male, weren't they???

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
9/11&bin 10 min REV CAROL 1
Elliott and Associates: Counseling voor alle ge... 15 min jervsc0ut 5
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 16 min Double Fine 828,616
chat with demi lovato 112 (the real official de... (Jan '09) 26 min Demi lovato 1,916
News Who is an atheist? (May '10) 33 min thetruth 9,331
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 1 hr AussieBobby 270,672
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 1 hr par five 3,540
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 2 hr Rosa_Winkel 98,992
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 2 hr Ugly Truth from d... 611,869
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 6 hr HipGnosis 442,875
More from around the web