Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 603139 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

United States

#548759 Jul 12, 2014
Cisco Kid wrote:
Yes, the words of Jesus appointing St.Peter to "lead my sheep, feed my sheep" are very plain.
So why don't you comprehend their significance?
In especially solemn fashion Christ accentuated Peter's precedence among the Apostles, when, after Peter had recognized Him as the Messiah, He promised that he would be head of His flock.
Jesus was then dwelling with His Apostles in the vicinity of Caesarea Philippi, engaged on His work of salvation. As Christ's coming agreed so little in power and glory with the expectations of the Messiah, many different views concerning Him were current. While journeying along with His Apostles, Jesus asks them: "Whom do men say that the Son of man is?"
The Apostles answered: "Some John the Baptist, and other some Elias, and others Jeremias, or one of the prophets". Jesus said to them: "But whom do you say that I am?" Simon said: "Thou art Christ, the Son of the living God". And Jesus answering said to him: "Blessed art thou, Simon Bar-Jona: because flesh and blood hath not revealed it to thee, but my Father who is in heaven. And I say to thee: That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. And I will give to thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven. And whatsoever thou shalt bind upon earth, it shall be bound also in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth, it shall be loosed also in heaven". Then he commanded his disciples, that they should tell no one that he was Jesus the Christ (Matthew 16:13-20; Mark 8:27-30; Luke 9:18-21).
By the word "rock" the Saviour cannot have meant Himself, but only Peter, as is so much more apparent in Aramaic in which the same word is used for "Peter" and "rock".
His statement then admits of but one explanation, namely, that He wishes to make Peter the head of the whole community of those who believed in Him as the true Messiah; that through this foundation (Peter) the Kingdom of Christ would be unconquerable; that the spiritual guidance of the faithful was placed in the hands of Peter, as the special representative of Christ.
This meaning becomes so much the clearer when we remember that the words "bind" and "loose" are not metaphorical, but Jewish juridical terms.
It is also clear that the position of Peter among the other Apostles and in the Christian community was the basis for the Kingdom of God on earth, that is, the Church of Christ. Peter was personally installed as Head of the Apostles by Christ Himself.
This foundation created for The Catholic Church by its Founder Jesus Christ could not disappear with the person of Peter, but was intended to continue and does continue (as actual history shows) in the primacy of the Roman Church and its bishops.
Can you refute any of that will actual fact?.
-
-
RoSesz wrote:
Just on the subject of succession..
What of successors who were not fit to kiss Peters FEET, ie Birgia,pope, or when there was confusion of who was pope. I had learned the Holy Spirit decides through the Cardinals, I don't think He causes confusion or makes mistakes. This is troubling ..
-
-
RoSesz, I'd like to add .. what of popes who were quite clearly and purely evil? the ones who boldly pushed the limits of evil? the one who sanctioned the Inquisition and all those following who kept it in place? How COULD Holy Spirit screw that up so badly? and wouldn't that necessarily produce a big gaping hole in the 'succession' claims? and so it stands to reason that the whole "lineage" and "succession" argument falls completely apart.
-
Liam, Cisco Kid, Regina ... the succession argument is only as strong as its weakest link.
Pull out all the weakest links and the entire claim to lineage falls apart.

United States

#548760 Jul 12, 2014
In 1940, French statesman Baron DePonnat stated “Roman Catholicism was born in blood, has wallowed in blood, and has quenched its thirst in blood, and it is in letters of blood that its true history is written.” Indeed, the history of papal Rome has been one of brutal torture, slaughter, and mass murder. The below list provides a sampling of papal Rome’s bloody history.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#548761 Jul 12, 2014
Chess wrote:
<quoted text>
Brain damage.
Crawl back under your favorite rock...lying snake..

Since: Sep 09

Prince George, Canada

#548762 Jul 12, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't make that claim. Re-read what I wrote.
<quoted text>
So what? That doesn't change that anthropology has the least amount of religious people in it for any academic discipline. We beat out evolutionary biologists for greatest percentage of atheists.
<quoted text>
Anthropologists are quite aware of that, thank you.
<quoted text>
Poor comparison. The Vatican does so for historical reasons - and reasons of legitimacy.
Anthropologists are atheists because we study human behavior. We analyze religion as a cultural construct, not as a reality. There's no theology in anthropology.
Christian anthropology

Christian anthropology in the context of Christian theology, theological anthropology refers to the study of the human ("anthropology") as it relates to God. It differs from the social science of anthropology, which primarily deals with the comparative study of the physical and social characteristics of humanity across times and places.

One aspect studies the innate nature or constitution of the human, known as the nature of humankind. It is concerned with the relationship between notions such as body, soul and spirit which together form a person, based on their descriptions in the Bible. There are three traditional views of the human constitution – trichotomism, dichotomism and monism (in the sense of anthropology).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_anthro...

United States

#548763 Jul 12, 2014
forgot the link:

In 1940, French statesman Baron DePonnat stated “Roman Catholicism was born in blood, has wallowed in blood, and has quenched its thirst in blood, and it is in letters of blood that its true history is written.” Indeed, the history of papal Rome has been one of brutal torture, slaughter, and mass murder. The below list provides a sampling of papal Rome’s bloody history.

http://rekindlingthereformation.com/RTR-Artic...

Prince George, Canada

#548764 Jul 12, 2014
USA Born wrote:
<quoted text>
It's your literal meaning. What I gave you concerning the Hebrew translation and the root word for "evil", is verifiable if you took the time. If there is good there has to be bad. God also created darkness and light. There wouldn't be one without the other.
The Bible says nothing about Catholic or Protestant, Hindu, Baptist etc. Men divided themselves, not God.
I would never believe in a god as you describe him/it to be.
Your translation suits you. It doesn't suit others.

When it pertains to ENGLISH ... the scripture clearly states that Jehovah CREATES evil.

If you want to study Hebrew, then be a Jew in Judaism not an English speaking follow of Jehovah-GOD!

And neither do I believe that a god exists to favor your personalized religious interpretations.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >

Isaiah 45:7 ASV
American Standard Version

I form the light, and create darkness; I make peace, and create evil. I am Jehovah, that doeth all these things.

Prince George, Canada

#548765 Jul 12, 2014
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
Did he ever look in a mirror?
Do YOU look in your mirror and see a tyrant that is certain that Jesus and God loves only those in your Protestant demon-ination???

Oh excuse me ... Freudian slip ... I meant to post denomination.

And I am serious. My fingers moved to post demonination before realizing that that word might be more fitting than denomination.
Liam

Saint Paul, MN

#548766 Jul 12, 2014
guest wrote:
<quoted text>
-
Nope. Not a follower of Dave Hunt. Just Googled "Bloody History of Roman Catholicism" and got the list.
Wow. I don't know how to respond to the that. You admit: "nope, not a follower of Dave Hunt. I just googled 'bloody history of Roman Catholicism and got the list".

So you googled something.....got a list from a source you know nothing about..... accepted this man's history lesson; decided to post it on the internet as truth? Is he the historian that said Pope Claremont started the Crusades? Lol
When you get serious about your faith, come back and talk to us. Right now your a radical fanatic.... not at all interested in truth.

Prince George, Canada

#548767 Jul 12, 2014
guest wrote:
.... while glossing over their murderous history.
I'm "patiently" waiting for you to do an intensive study on the murderous history of the Protestants.

I won't hold my breath.

Did you forget that the first Protestants that killed the Catholics a heretics, were ex-Catholics???

I suggest that Martin Luther wanted his own family members who were still in the Catholic religion killed as heretics.

MONSTERS in god-garbs!!!

Prince George, Canada

#548768 Jul 12, 2014
USA Born wrote:
<quoted text>
If people have a spirit that lives on after death, why wouldn't there be good and evil in the spirit lfe?
Okay ... let's pretend "IF."

You take the evil spirit and give the HOLY spirit to those who disagree with your religion.

Does that seem fair to YOU???

It seems more than fair to me.

But you preachers are not willing to take the EVIL spirit on your side of the debate.

I suggest that someone preaching a sermon ... "I am EVIL ... follow ME" ... wouldn't gain much of a following.

:)

Prince George, Canada

#548769 Jul 12, 2014
guest wrote:
Yes. Liam you can only defend the Roman Catholic Church ... you can't defend Christianity
Hahahahahaha

The Catholics WROTE the new testament on which you quote as being based on your own personalized BRAND of universal truth ... you IDIOT!!!

Leave the bible alone ... it's NOT yours to man-handle. Write your own book of lies.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#548770 Jul 12, 2014
atemcowboy wrote:
Cisco Kid wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, the words of Jesus appointing St.Peter to "lead my sheep, feed my sheep" are very plain.
So why don't you comprehend their significance?
ME; why don't you? when Jesus is talking about the "sheep", he is talking about primarily, the House of Israel.
therefore He is talking about peter being the Apostle to the jews, and He made it plain that Paul was the apostle to the gentiles(Born Again),
WHICH ELIMINATES THE catholics, who have only the apostle judas to be their leader.lol
the apostle who only cared and cares for money for his coffers
The House of Israel speaks of the Jews...Christ was a Jew.. To say when He said "Feed my sheep" He was speaking of only the Jews is absolute rubbish....

Christ said: I am the good shepherd, and know my sheep, and am known of mine.(He is speaking of the Jews)

And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd.(He is speaking of us Gentiles)

Bottom line...any person, Jew or Gentile, who follows Christ and His teachings, are His followers...Christians...refer red to in the figurative sense as sheep..

No charge for tutoring...escpecially people God called (fill in the last word)..

Prince George, Canada

#548771 Jul 12, 2014
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
Who says??
One can believe in Jesus,Christ through the,leading of the,HOLY SPIRIT ..you think to limit that option???? HIS,POWER ...
Hilarious!

A Protestant arguing with a Catholic over what the new testament means ... when the Catholics WROTE the new testament.

It all stems from Martin Luther using the Catholic bible to claim that the Catholics were liars and HE was gleaning truth from the Catholic's OWN book.

STUPID might really BE until humans go extinct.

I doubt if it will last any longer.

Prince George, Canada

#548772 Jul 12, 2014
Liam wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow. I don't know how to respond to the that.
With the help of Jesus and God and Prayer ... you'll find a way to respond to straighten outl the Protestants that they are going to hell and ONLY Catholics will be saved.

IDIOCY!!!

Now it's your turn guest to tell Liam that Jesus and God are on your side of the fight.

:)

Since: Feb 14

Location hidden

#548773 Jul 12, 2014
USA Born wrote:
<quoted text>
If people have a spirit that lives on after death, why wouldn't there be good and evil in the spirit lfe?
That's a trick question right?

Prince George, Canada

#548774 Jul 12, 2014
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
The House of Israel speaks of the Jews...Christ was a Jew..
And according to Christians Jesus had to leave Judaism and become a Christian in order to save his self.

OH WAIT ... They also taught that Jesus was born without sin. So he must have been sin-free even when he WAS a Jewish rabbi.

Your nutty dogmas make you behave as FOOLS.
USA Born

Claremont, CA

#548775 Jul 12, 2014
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Your translation suits you. It doesn't suit others.
When it pertains to ENGLISH ... the scripture clearly states that Jehovah CREATES evil.
If you want to study Hebrew, then be a Jew in Judaism not an English speaking follow of Jehovah-GOD!
And neither do I believe that a god exists to favor your personalized religious interpretations.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >
Isaiah 45:7 ASV
American Standard Version
I form the light, and create darkness; I make peace, and create evil. I am Jehovah, that doeth all these things.
It's not my translation. The God in scripture is not an evil God. The one you make up as you go is. I'm glad that one doesn't really exist.

You don't believe in God at all. It's your choice.

Prince George, Canada

#548776 Jul 12, 2014
pusherman_ wrote:
<quoted text> That's a trick question right?
No trick about it.

You want to believe that your supposed spirit is purified ... don't YOU???

The purpose of hell is for those "spirits" unlike you that haven't been purified ... RIGHT???

So evil MUST survive into the hereafter.

By the way, will you be taking your own spirit off to spirit heaven ... or will Jesus help you carry the purified load with the approval "of course" of GOD???.

IDIOCY!!!

Prince George, Canada

#548777 Jul 12, 2014
USA Born wrote:
<quoted text>
The God in scripture is not an evil God.
I make peace, and create evil. I am Jehovah, that doeth all these things.

Prince George, Canada

#548778 Jul 12, 2014
The Catholic version of the same scripture changed the word Jehovah to Lord.

Jehovah was to Jewish ... so Jesus, being de-Judaized was accused of creating good and evil.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>

Isaiah 45:7 RHE
Douay-Rheims

I form the light, and create darkness, I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord that do all these things.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 4 min Hidingfromyou 877,777
*** All Time Favorite Songs *** (Dec '10) 8 min Classic 2,858
The Christian Atheist debate 35 min Critical Eye 3,786
sex party 1 hr sex god 1
is it a good idea to date a mexican guy? (Feb '09) 2 hr MrsCamacho 186
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 2 hr RiccardoFire 7,906
Is Obama Really Black? (Jul '09) 3 hr I am me 64
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 6 hr Lyndi 177,843
Which is the Oldest Indian Language? Sanskrit V... (Jul '08) 7 hr sangili karuppan 7,612
More from around the web