Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 20 comments on the Jul 10, 2007, CBC News story titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Country boy

Sutersville, PA

#537708 May 17, 2014
Philippian jailer was baptized in Acts 16:33. However, the context nowhere mentions infants. Acts 16:31 declares that salvation is by faith. Paul spoke to all of the household in verse 32, and the whole household believed (verse 34). This passage only supports the baptism of those who have already believed, not of infants.
Prayer: The Roman Catholic Church teaches Catholics to not only pray to God, but also to petition Mary and the saints for their prayers. Contrary to this, we are taught in Scripture to only pray to God (Matthew 6:9; Luke 18:1-7).
Priesthood: The Roman Catholic Church teaches that there is a distinction between the clergy and the “lay people,” whereas the New Testament teaches the priesthood of all believers (1 Peter 2:9).
Sacraments: The Roman Catholic Church teaches that a believer is infused with grace upon reception of the sacraments. Such teaching is nowhere found in Scripture.
Confession: The Roman Catholic Church teaches that unless a believer is hindered, the only way to receive the forgiveness of sins is by confessing them to a priest. Contrary to this, Scripture teaches that confession of sins is to be made to God (1 John 1:9).
Mary: The Roman Catholic Church teaches, among other things, that Mary is the Queen of Heaven, a perpetual virgin, and the co-redemptress who ascended into heaven. In Scripture, she is portrayed as an obedient, believing servant of God, who became the mother of Jesus. None of the other attributes mentioned by the Roman Catholic Church have any basis in the Bible. The idea of Mary being the co-redemptress and another mediator between God and man is not only extra-biblical (found only outside of Scripture), but is also unbiblical (contrary to Scripture). Acts 4:12 declares that Jesus is the only redeemer. 1 Timothy 2:5 proclaims that Jesus is the only mediator between God and men.
Many other examples could be given. These issues alone clearly identify the Catholic Church as being unbiblical. Every Christian denomination has traditions and practices that are not explicitly based on Scripture. That is why Scripture must be the standard of Christian faith and practice. The Word of God is always true and reliable. The same cannot be said of church tradition. Our guideline is to be:“What does Scripture say?”(Romans 4:3; Galatians 4:30; Acts 17:11). 2 Timothy 3:16-17 declares,“All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting, and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.”
Gods R Delusions x Mine

Orlando, FL

#537709 May 17, 2014
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
So Jewish Jesus is going to take your rotten physical body to Christian heaven???
It's true that some of the dumbest people on earth are the most religious.
Well, not ALL of Jesus' teachings :o)

ramen

Since: Sep 09

Prince George, Canada

#537710 May 17, 2014
Country boy wrote:
Why haven't Roman Catholics noticed what God says?
Another Protestant looking for a fight. Just what the world needs!

Idiots abound.

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#537711 May 17, 2014
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually they crucified Him for claiming He was the Son of God and for starting the Catholic Church.
The crucified Him because he claimed to be thier long awaiting messiah. Here to full fill the Old testament.Not for starting the Catholic church..nope

Prince George, Canada

#537712 May 17, 2014
pusherman_ wrote:
<quoted text> My dislike of Religion was not being questioned...
When you preach your version of the Christian religion at me and at the same time claim that you dislike the word religion, you are a hypocrite.

If you don't believe that the Christian religion is worthy of your respect, then don't be preaching your Jesusized version as being based on truth.
Regina

Toms River, NJ

#537713 May 17, 2014
Seraphima wrote:
<quoted text> the Orthodox's believe that Mary died a human death and then was taken to Heaven Your church believes Mary did not die a human death before going to Heaven. Correct??
No.

Prince George, Canada

#537715 May 17, 2014
Gods R Delusions x Mine wrote:
<quoted text>
I humbly agree.
I am amazed at how often you Junith agree with the teachings of Jesus.
ramen
Have you noticed that I believe if Jesus had lived he would have been the leader of a horrible cult???
Gods R Delusions x Mine

Orlando, FL

#537716 May 17, 2014
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
And here comes the master of something or other, although he's not quite sure where his mastership is supposed to LIE.
Are you still no longer a Protestant or a Catholic but are still somewhere in your Christian CENTER???
:)
Maybe you inspired him to go back to the RCC? All in a few weeks too. A retreat to the roots. Amazing.

I say again, you own them. The more they "know," the firmer the grip.

But not the rabbonni. I am in the lite :o)

ramen

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#537717 May 17, 2014
Regina wrote:
<quoted text>
No.
Please explain
Liam

United States

#537718 May 17, 2014
atemcowboy wrote:
<quoted text>So, are you ignorant enough that you think that the great arch angel is making a prayer to cmary? lol
it was a greeting as LTM is trying to tell you people
In your 21st century mind, the Angel said, "Well hello Mary, how are ya? Say, God needs you to be an incubator because you're highly favored by Him... Are you in? If not, there are hundreds of other Woman in this town, so don't feel obligated to say yes" .
Regina

Toms River, NJ

#537719 May 17, 2014
Did the Virgin Mary Die Before Her Assumption?

The Assumption of Mary into Heaven at the end of her earthly life is not a complicated doctrine, but one question is a frequent source of debate: Did Mary die before she was assumed, body and soul, into Heaven?

Answer: From the earliest Christian traditions surrounding the Assumption, the answer to the question of whether the Blessed Virgin died like all men do has been "yes." The Feast of the Assumption was first celebrated in the sixth century in the Christian East, where it was known as the Dormition of the Most Holy Theotokos (the Mother of God).
http://catholicism.about.com/od/beliefsteachi...
LTM

Sault Sainte Marie, Canada

#537720 May 17, 2014
StarC wrote:
<quoted text>
Which book might that be?
That would be the Bible, "OH SORRY YOU DON'T KNOW THAT BOOK.
WELL ITS THE HOLY SCRIPTURES WRITTEN BY MEN WHO WERE INSPIRED BY GOD.

Prince George, Canada

#537721 May 17, 2014
Seraphima wrote:
<quoted text> The crucified Him because he claimed to be thier long awaiting messiah. Here to full fill the Old testament.Not for starting the Catholic church..nope
The myth of Krishna was almost the identical version of the Jesus-myth.

You just don't want to conceive of the idea that you won't be enjoying eternal bliss while others suffer in hell.

And that is your problem

Just suppose that you believing others will spend eternity in hell because they deserve it backfires on you, and YOU are the one that reaps what you sowed in that negative belief about others ... so YOU end up in a sort of a hell for entertaining such a belief.

Did you ever consider that issue???

I prefer to believe that if there IS a hereafter, all others deserve the best treatment possible.

If I reap what I sow ... then I have not sown any seeds of believing that others deserve hell.

I have always refused to sow that negative seed in my brain.

You would do well to think on these things.
Anthony MN

United States

#537722 May 17, 2014
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
Anthony,
I pray that God will let you see this, Anthony.....
Our eternal life (spiritual) has NOTHING to do the Catholic, Baptist, etc. religion......
Look at these scriptures:
1 John 5:11
11 And this is the testimony: God has given us eternal life, and this life is in his Son.
***THIS LIFE (spiritual) is IN HIS SON.
It (eternal life) is in Christ and not available outside of Christ.
2 Timothy 1:1
1 Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God, in keeping with the promise of life that is in Christ Jesus,
Promise of life (spiritual) that is IN CHRIST JESUS......
Jesus' body (spiritual)......again.....chu rch.....(group of people who have been "called out" of the world")
Your concept of the Church is in error. Christ founded a visible Church. Unfortunately, a protestant's only option, due to the continuous splintering and divisions, is to pervert it's meaning into some sort of invisible body of believers, loosely connected to each other by faith in the Bible alone. The bible and all of the early Christians testify to this.

“GOD SO LOVED US”

Since: Aug 08

He Gave His SON to Save us

#537723 May 17, 2014
concerned in Brasil wrote:
<quoted text>
Or you are most certainly wrong and if you wish I will go to a proper forum of your choice to show you.
You can go to the Christian forum start a thread call it Is there secular evidence that backs the NT and let me know I will be there with bells on my shoes.
Great idea, let me know,if there is such a forum ..for discussing origin of scripture .

As,i do not believe for one second that nothing at all was,written in the,Jerusalem church or by those,disciples that followed Jesus.

I do believe a,lot was,lost and when I hear the disciples referred to as,ignorant or illiterate it's ridiculous. Most had,at least scripture teaching until bar mitzvah at 13 '

Matthew was a tax collector ..a,keeper of records...that he just started writing about Jesus decades after He died strains,credulity ....did Peter have someone, maybe John Mark scribe for him , who knows. John had family contacts,in the temple,...
They were,NOT ignorant peasants...

I don't even know where the Christian forum is,, I found this,one five years ago ....

Let me know please as I'd rather not get diverted into a shouting forum, yet again..

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#537724 May 17, 2014
Robert F wrote:
<quoted text>
Preston
Peace
At first I was overjoyed, as I finally understood the origins, of your belief in God's implantation into Mary of Jesus, and calling her a surrogate.
Then I became concerned for you.
And now, I am not sure if you would desire to know.
So, I will leave well enough alone, for now. But perhaps in the future we might discuss the situation. It is very complex, and will need much thought as to how to communicate successfully on what your beliefs on this surrogacy entail....
Peace
don't worry about me, I understand [plain English] very well. unlike others who cant understand something as simple as this.

Surrogate pregnancy, an arrangement for a woman to carry and give birth to a child who will be raised by others.

an arrangement; Gabriel told mary that she would carry this Heavenly child in her womb.

she agreed;

He[Jesus] was not known to her or to any of her family, nor of any relation, since her husband to be was also not involved by any friendship with this child to be.

if this is complex to you, I really sorry for your lack of intelligence.

in this instance, Jesus was to some extent raised by her and her husband, tho the angels of the Lord watched over Him day and night, even when they left Him for some time in Jerusalem, while they went on their merry way, partying with their friends.

she gave birth to this child, but He was never any relation to her, nor does biological references indicate they are blood relations.

He is God, she is the creation therefore she is not a mother of any gods. the creation can never be equal to the Creator. not difficult for me to understand, impossible for idiots and ignorants(lol) to comprehend.
Chess

Columbus, OH

#537725 May 17, 2014
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
Slither back under your favorite rock...lying snake
Please provide a permalink to a single lie, thief.

I'll wait.
Liam

Hudson, WI

#537726 May 17, 2014
Seraphima wrote:
<quoted text> the Orthodox's believe that Mary died a human death and then was taken to Heaven Your church believes Mary did not die a human death before going to Heaven. Correct??
I don't think thats true, Sera. I'm not sure though. I don't think the Church has made an official declaration on the nature of her "passing", other than Jesus brought her body and soul into Heaven, at whatever moment she ceased to be on earth.

Prince George, Canada

#537727 May 17, 2014
Gods R Delusions x Mine wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe you inspired him to go back to the RCC? All in a few weeks too. A retreat to the roots. Amazing.
Robert was a Protestant before he believed he had to climb up the ladder to land in the Catholic religion where the god would be sure to favor him as being worthy of salvation.

The problem is that those who search the landscape for what they are certain is the best deal ... they land in one religion or another and then become certain in their pompous attitudes that they know universal truth.
Anthony MN

United States

#537728 May 17, 2014
Seraphima wrote:
<quoted text> The crucified Him because he claimed to be thier long awaiting messiah. Here to full fill the Old testament.Not for starting the Catholic church..nope
You are not in agreement with your Orthodox brethren then.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 4 min Black Thunder 42 828,827
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 4 min RiccardoFire 3,596
This ~ or ~ That? (game) (Dec '12) 26 min Hatti_Hollerand 1,801
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 31 min Truths 611,838
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 40 min Insults Are Easier 270,681
avandia 2014 (Jan '14) 1 hr now what 323
Why do Women get tattoos when its so ugly! (Sep '11) 1 hr razz58 52
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 2 hr karl44 442,889
More from around the web