Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 20 comments on the Jul 10, 2007, CBC News story titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Since: Sep 09

Prince George, Canada

#534419 May 3, 2014
I suggest that Scott WAS indeed flaunting his Catholicism.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>

ROME SWEET HOME by Scott and Kimberly Hahn … our journey to Catholicism

Scott was relishing things Catholic (although he was not flaunting them). He was crossing himself in prayer. He had a crucifix in his office. I overheard him say a Hail Mary with a friend. Each one of those things was stab in my heart. Each one was another reminder of the disunity we had.

“OneLordOneFaith Eph4:5”

Since: Apr 08

Saint John Paul II Pray 4 Us.

#534420 May 3, 2014
Why do Catholics pray to Mary and the saints when Sacred Scripture states that there is one Mediator between God and man—Christ Jesus?(1 Tim. 2:5).

"When Catholics ask Mary and the other saints in Heaven to pray for them, they are not bypassing Christ, whom they acknowledge as the sole Mediator between God and man. They are going to Christ through Mary and the other saints. They are asking Mary and other saints to intercede for them before the throne of Christ in Heaven. "For the continual prayer of a just man avail much." (James 5:16). How much more availing is the unceasing prayer of the sinless Mother of Our Lord Jesus Christ! St. Paul asked his fellow Christians to intercede for him: "Brethren, pray for us." (2 Thess. 3:1). And again: "I beseech you therefore, brethren, through our Lord Jesus Christ, and by the charity of the Holy Ghost, that you help me in your prayers for me to God..." (Rom. 15:30). Christ must particularly approve of our going to Him through Mary, His Blessed Mother, because He chose to come to us through her. And at Cana, He performed His first miracle after a word from His Mother.(John 2:2-11).

It is clear in Sacred Scripture that the saints in Heaven will intercede for us before the throne of Christ if they are petitioned in prayer (Apoc. Or Rev. 8:3-4), and it is clear in the records of primitive Christianity that the first Christians eagerly sought their intercession. Wrote St. John Chrysostom in the fourth century: "When thou perceives that God is chastening thee, fly not to His enemies, but to His friends, the martyrs the saints, and those who were pleasing to Him, and who have great power." If the saints have such power with God, how much more His own Mother."

Prince George, Canada

#534421 May 3, 2014
Robert F wrote:
<quoted text>
June
Perhaps over the years you were worn down by your husband. But I see Kimberly caught between loving her husband, and following her beliefs, which led to the discovery of new avenues of faith.
My husband never preached Atheism at me. However I preached plenty of religion at him, and I was fortunate to not lose him because of the religious preaching.

He is a gentle man, and a very good man ... so I suggest you don't fault him because your religion has made a fear-filled idiot out of you.

#534423 May 3, 2014
LTM wrote:
<quoted text>
"Hell will not prevail against the Church (ONCE AGAIN THE CHURCH ARE PEOPLE) NOT A DENOMINATION.
WE CAN BE SURE THAT HELL HAS PREVAILED AGAINST THE CATHOLIC CHURCH,
BECAUSE THE DEVIL IS VERY ACTIVE IN IT.
LIES, MURDER, ROBBERY,PEDOPHILIA, HOMOSEXUAL, RAPE OF YOUNG CHILDREN,
TORTURE OF GREAT BRUTALITY. YEP THE DEVIL IS VERY BUSY IN YOUR CHURCH ,
SO HELL HAS INDEED PREVAILED."
----------

You are correct "hell will NOT prevail against HIs true Church" His Church is alive and doing well, thank you Jesus Christ!

Hell has prevailed on the lil church you grew up in!
With the torture you suffered under your own minister . Yep, that was the devil's church. Does it exist today?
No!
People in glass houses should not
throw stones. ltm

Catholics are united as one with the same mind, as stated in Holy Scripture. All Protestant churches can't agree with each other, those are "denomination, "all are divided.

Take your anger out on those that harmed you, not on Jesus' Church.
LTM

Sudbury, Canada

#534424 May 3, 2014
confrinting with the word wrote:
[who="LTM" Preston a Confrinting Mr. and Mrs. for prayers for a man named Jerry.
Jerry is one of the catholic orphanage kids from Nova Scotia; he has spent years fighting the demons left over from that place.
He was very badly abused from age 5 till he was of legal age to leave on his own.
He still has terrible flash backs as you can imagine.
He really needs some prayer, the place he was going to church, one of the Pastors told him that God has cursed him, and that is why he is like he is.
Jerry was place in the orphanage by his Mom on the advice of a priest, when his Dad died,( he has a younger brother ) the priest told her it would be to hard for her to look after 2 boys on her own.
She never even went to see him after that, Jerry spent all his life wonder what he did bad, that his Mom didn't want him.
I know this man personally me an my husband, he loves the Lord very much.
When a Pastor tells him God cursed Him , he has gone in a tail spin and near killed himself.
Thank you , anyone else please join the prayers together .
----------
Please tell your friend that Jesus came to save him from the curse. As He trusts the Lord, the curse (if it exists) will have no power over him. His fear of a supposed curse can cause him much suffering.
His mother listened to the wrong advice...thinking it to have come from a holy source. Mothers have 'looked after' several children after having been widowed. Children often blame themselves when parents divorce, or leave them for other reasons. I have two adopted children, who often asked the question, "Why didn't she want ME?"
In time, they realized that WE wanted them, and we are a family. We don't know what those women faced, or why they gave up their children, so we do not judge them. I would advise him to consider that his mother may have had fears that he knows nothing about; perhaps her fears were valid. For his mental and emotional health, he needs to forgive her.
Php 4:6 Be careful (anxious) for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.
Php 4:7 And THE PEACE OF GOD, which passes all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
Jesus said that He gave us HIS peace. Paul told us to LET THE PEACE OF GOD RULE IN YOUR HEARTS. He cannot change the past, but he CAN let the peace of God change his future.
KayMarie
I told him God does not curse people, KayMarie, He did find his Mom after he left the orphanage living were she always lived in Nova Scotia, and has since made peace with her.
you and I both know KayMarie there are men standing in the pulpit that were not called to be there, they are self a pointed.
He needs a lot of prayer KayMarie, sometimes he is so strong for the Lord other times he seems defeated. He is up and down.
I know everything you post is true, what happens a lot of times people give others Christian books to read, which takes time away from reading the Bible, so people don't know what the Bible says . When one sits to read God's word it should be with the attitude that God is talking to them directly one on one .

Prince George, Canada

#534425 May 3, 2014
I suggest you keep in mind that when Scott married her, he was a Protestant, so HE was the one that broke his end of the deal. And then he tried to make HER feel guilty about not becoming a Catholic.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>

Despair was constantly at my doorstep. Scott has always said my biggest fault is being Pathologically positive.

Prince George, Canada

#534426 May 3, 2014
LTM wrote:
<quoted text>
I told him God does not curse people,
Then you contradicted your religion, as Christianity teaches that most souls end up cursed by the god and rejected to hell.
LTM

Sudbury, Canada

#534427 May 3, 2014
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
My husband never preached Atheism at me. However I preached plenty of religion at him, and I was fortunate to not lose him because of the religious preaching.
He is a gentle man, and a very good man ... so I suggest you don't fault him because your religion has made a fear-filled idiot out of you.
There are a lot of men who are good June, but they are not saved, my husband was one of them. There is a difference believing in God;;; and believing in religion June .
How many people told you that already.
I think you are on a religious over load,

Its about God not Religion June all about God.

#534428 May 3, 2014
gif wrote
"There is no prophecy in the Old Testament GIVES (even the slightest ) SUPPORT TO A Roman Catholic ..it's teachings or it's dogma......or any mention of a UNIVERSAL CHURCH...."
----------
Churches in ROME! Catholic = Universal,(all over the world)

Read all of
Romans 25

NON-Catholic sources.....

"Romans 1
When was it written? Probably around A.D. 55-57, about 25 years after Jesus’ death and resurrection.

To whom was it written?“To all in Rome who are loved by God and called to be his holy people”—that is, members of the church in the city of Rome, the capital of the Roman Empire.

Why was it written?
Paul longed to visit the Christian community in Rome, but his travels and responsibilities toward other churches in the Empire made that difficult. In his letter, Paul mentions a plan to visit the Roman church on his way to Spain.

This letter was written with a number of purposes in mind. Foremost among them was a simple explanation of the gospel of grace; but Paul also wanted to address growing tensions between Jewish and Gentile (non-Jewish) Christians in the church.

What does it say?
Much of Romans consists of what might be called a “Gospel presentation.” Setting a model that Christians continue to follow today, Paul outlines the basics of the Christian gospel, hitting all of the key points: God’s holiness, mankind’s sin, and the saving grace offered by Jesus Christ. He then moves on to talk about how believers, once they’ve been justified by faith, should respond to that gift of grace. Paul’s approach is logical and thorough—he clearly and thoughtfully lays out his case, anticipating questions and taking time to explain the more challenging elements. He is careful to ground his message of the Gospel against the backdrop of the Old Testament."

http://www.biblegateway.com/blog/2012/07/lett...

Prince George, Canada

#534429 May 3, 2014
StarC wrote:
LTM wrote:
<quoted text>
"Hell will not prevail against the Church
If you don't believe in hell, then your worries are over.

The hierarchy NEEDS you to fear hell so you will stay in bondage to their cult.

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 55:11--"MATT 10:27"

#534430 May 3, 2014
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
"Insanity is to deny His Word which has stood and will stand forever...and try to be saved by the words of strangers long forgotten. As June tells us, many of those strangers have written of supposed miracles, etc., but NONE OF THEM HAS STOOD THE TEST OF TIME. Nor have they purified the lives of those who hoped in them."
The lie you believe is that Catholics deny His Word. We honor His Word so much that we don't let every Tom, Dick and Harry take it and twist it to their own destruction which is protestantism through and through.
Saved by the words of strangers long forgotten? Do you really think they aren't part of our family who now rest in Christ? How dare you dismiss out of hand our faithful brothers and sisters who lived holy lives and gave them up for the glory of God?
Shame on you.
~~~

That's the problem .every..Tom Dick and Harry ,,,What ever your (so called) Holy Fathers NAMES ARE..

HAVE ATTEMPTED to edit the WORD OF GOD..and you have swallowed it HOOK LINE AND SINKER..

I FEEL SORRY FOR YOU......

BUT YOU ARE MAKING YOU OWN BED...IN HELL

you will have no one to blame but yourselves...

Jesus said

Rev 16:15 Behold, I come as a thief. Blessed is he that watcheth, and keepeth his garments, lest he walk naked, and they see his shame.

Prince George, Canada

#534431 May 3, 2014
And then they were having another baby.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>

In recognition of Scott as the spiritual leader of our home, it seemed fitting to yield my heart to having the baby baptized Catholic.

Prince George, Canada

#534432 May 3, 2014
LTM wrote:
<quoted text>
There are a lot of men who are good June, but they are not saved, my husband was one of them. There is a difference believing in God;;; and believing in religion June .
How many people told you that already.
I think you are on a religious over load,
Its about God not Religion June all about God.
I'm not worried about salvation, as I don't believe in hell.

If you believe in a god, and that you have a spirit that links TO a god, you are IN a religion, so don't be such a fool.

Prince George, Canada

#534433 May 3, 2014
confrinting with the word wrote:
<quoted text>
I FEEL SORRY FOR YOU......
Why??? Because you believe he deserves eternity in hell???

You should be ashamed of thinking you are worthy of heaven and others belong in hell, but instead you are proud of that idiotic belief. And so are the Catholics.

May you will all end up together in the hell you wish on each other.

If there just happens to be a hereafter, I wish only peace for others.

I guess that makes me an evil Atheist in your glazed over eyes ... HUH?

Prince George, Canada

#534434 May 3, 2014
correction ... "Maybe" you will all end up together in the hell you wish on each other.

#534436 May 3, 2014
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
If you don't believe in hell, then your worries are over.
The hierarchy NEEDS you to fear hell so you will stay in bondage to their cult.
Hi June bug, I believe in heaven and hell.

You will too on your death bed, that's when it happens, I heard.
:)

#534437 May 3, 2014
Must run, one hour on this thread is toooooo long.

Have a great evening and a great and blessed Sunday !

:)
concerned in Brasil

Europe

#534438 May 3, 2014
StarC wrote:
Why do Catholics pray to Mary and the saints when Sacred Scripture states that there is one Mediator between God and man—Christ Jesus?(1 Tim. 2:5).
"When Catholics ask Mary and the other saints in Heaven to pray for them, they are not bypassing Christ, whom they acknowledge as the sole Mediator between God and man. They are going to Christ through Mary and the other saints. They are asking Mary and other saints to intercede for them before the throne of Christ in Heaven. "For the continual prayer of a just man avail much." (James 5:16). How much more availing is the unceasing prayer of the sinless Mother of Our Lord Jesus Christ! St. Paul asked his fellow Christians to intercede for him: "Brethren, pray for us." (2 Thess. 3:1). And again: "I beseech you therefore, brethren, through our Lord Jesus Christ, and by the charity of the Holy Ghost, that you help me in your prayers for me to God..." (Rom. 15:30). Christ must particularly approve of our going to Him through Mary, His Blessed Mother, because He chose to come to us through her. And at Cana, He performed His first miracle after a word from His Mother.(John 2:2-11).
It is clear in Sacred Scripture that the saints in Heaven will intercede for us before the throne of Christ if they are petitioned in prayer (Apoc. Or Rev. 8:3-4), and it is clear in the records of primitive Christianity that the first Christians eagerly sought their intercession. Wrote St. John Chrysostom in the fourth century: "When thou perceives that God is chastening thee, fly not to His enemies, but to His friends, the martyrs the saints, and those who were pleasing to Him, and who have great power." If the saints have such power with God, how much more His own Mother."
No its not clear in scripture and in fact its not even there Star YOU leave the facts and context behind and cherry pick..

"In the Book of Revelation, the incense represents the prayers of the saints – that is, the prayers of Christians on earth. Twice we are told that the incense is ‘the prayers of the saints.’ Therefore the incense does not represent the intercessory prayers of the angel or the elders in heaven. Moreover, these prayers were addressed to God, and not to the elders in heaven or to the angel, for the incense ascended up before God. The saints on earth were praying to God; they were not asking the angels or saints in heaven to pray for them."

Mary and any other dead Christian is in heaven and in another realm the Spirit world.

They are not omnipotent and omniscient these are the Attributes of God and there is ONLY one,

That is why know where in scripture NO WHERE is there one example of a man of God praying to dead people all be alive in Spirit.

When you ask some to intercede for you on Earth you communicate directly to them and they can respond.

How in the World because do you conclude we should pray to Mary because Jesus was born of Mary that is his flesh. This is not a rational or logical conclusion its man made delusions Jesus Created Mary, Jesus created her spirit, Mary called him her Savior.

Christ does not approve of any worship other than then that which is directed to God.
Prayer as the Bible reveals it is an act of worship.

St. John Chrysostom did not advocate prayers to the dead or fallen saints, he encourages us to follow as they did, to imitate them again you read into a text your RCC brain washing and ignore the context.

Mary has no more power than I do in Jesus the Christ nor the any Christian in Jesus the Christ. She was bestowed a great honor because it was pleasing to God to use the small the weak to humble he proud and strong.

cont...
concerned in Brasil

Europe

#534439 May 3, 2014
At first glance this argument sounds convincing but it is not difficult to see that it is really misleading and deceptive. Firstly, we should underline the fact that death disrupts the interaction between saints on earth and saints in heaven. As Christians we also believe in the communion of the saints – whether we are on earth or in heaven, we have a joint participation in the grace of Jesus Christ. However that does not imply that death does nothing to the interaction between us! We all know something of the painful and terrible reality of death separating us from our loved ones. The soul of the departed is alive and conscious – in heaven or hell, but there is no communication between the departed and us. That’s why the Bible forbids us from trying to communicate with the dead. Dead saints remain part of the body of Christ, but there is an effective separation from the living saints. One day the Lord will give His people a glorified and immortal body and gather us all together. Until then we must face the sad consequence of death: separation!

Secondly, we note that praying to the saints in not equivalent to asking fellow Christians for prayer. This excuse may be convincing to some Christians who never had any personal experience of the Catholic religion. Otherwise, every Catholic (and former Catholic) knows that praying to Mary or the saints is completely different than asking a fellow believer for prayer.

Suppose a Christian brother comes and kneels before you, imploring you with great devotion to pray for him. Would you allow him? How would you react if he calls you his advocate, his hope and refuge? What if he thanks you for the many graces you conferred on him and for delivering him from hell? Suppose he tells you that he confines his salvation to your care and pleads with you to stay with him until you see him safe in heaven? Would you call that “asking a fellow Christian for prayer”? Of course not! That kind of prayer and confidence is nothing less than divine worship and it should be directed only to the Lord Jesus Christ. And yet that is exactly the kind of prayer that Catholics offer to Mary and the saints.

Finally, praying to the saints really comes from a distorted view of the goodness of God. Catholics often have a definite (though unspoken) perception that God is distant and difficult to reach. For many God is distant because they do not know Christ who has brought perfect reconciliation, access to God's presence and a sweet communion with the Father. They feel more comfortable praying to Mary and the saints, hoping that they are in a better position to persuade God to grant them the desired graces.

St. Bernard writes: "It is true, of course, that Jesus Christ is the only Mediator of justice between human beings and God, and that, by virtue of His own merits, He can obtain for us, and wants to obtain, pardon and grace as He promised. But in Christ human beings cannot help recognizing and fearing the Divine Majesty, which belongs to Him as God. So it was necessary to appoint another Advocate, to whom we can have recourse with less fear and with greater confidence. And this second Advocate is Mary" (Quoted in 'The Glories of Mary' by St Alphonsus Liguori). What a distortion of the goodness of God! God is ever near His children, for His Son had bridged the infinite gap which had previously separated us. Contrary to the blasphemous words of man, the Bible assures us that in Christ "we have boldness and access with confidence through faith in Him" (Ephesians 3:12).

cont...
concerned in Brasil

Europe

#534440 May 3, 2014
The prophet Jeremiah was preaching to the people of Israel and warning them of the coming judgment from God because of their idolatrous practices. But this is how they argued with him:“As for the word that you have spoken to us in the name of the LORD, we will not listen to you! But we will certainly do whatever has gone out of our own mouth, to burn incense to the queen of heaven and pour out drink offerings to her, as we have done, we and our fathers, our kings and our princes, in the cities of Judah and in the streets of Jerusalem. For then we had plenty of food, were well-off, and saw no trouble. But since we stopped burning incense to the queen of heaven and pouring out drink offerings to her, we have lacked everything and have been consumed by the sword and by famine”(Jeremiah 44:16-18).

They were praying to a pagan deity named the Queen of Heaven instead of praying to the Lord God, claiming that when they prayed to her they received all their needs, plenty of food and protection and so on. We know exactly who gave them the food and the protection but they ascribed them to a false god. Even worse, instead of repenting of their sins in the face of the Lord’s chastisement, they reasoned that they got into trouble because they stopped praying to this Queen of Heaven! The deception is astounding!

This is exactly what happens when someone rejects the revealed truth of God. The Israelites rejected the truth of God given through the prophets and the Scriptures and they were pitifully mistaken in their interpretation of their religious experiences.

For the complete verifiable article go to
JUST FOR CATHOLICS
PRAYING TO DEAD SAINTS
http://www.justforcatholics.org/

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 2 min Black Thunder 42 828,788
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 2 min waaasssuuup 611,834
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 3 min dollarsbill 3,577
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 7 min Insults Are Easier 270,679
wonders on temple of solution (Jun '11) 10 min remembrances5148 47
gay bottom in gurgaon (May '14) 11 min apg 25
News Who is an atheist? (May '10) 21 min thetruth 9,338
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 22 min love_spell 442,881
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 14 hr Rosa_Winkel 98,992
More from around the web