Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 20 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Since: Sep 09

Prince George, Canada

#534338 May 3, 2014
These are the ones that scammed my father into believing that if he sent them his money, he would learn God's wisdom.

They omitted the part of the story that THEY were scam-artists in god-garbs.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >

Rosicrucian Order AMORC | Rosicrucian Digest: Gnosticism

https://www.rosicrucian.org/publications/dige...
Gods R Delusions x Mine

Orlando, FL

#534339 May 3, 2014
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
You're not telling me why any historian or Jewish religious scholar who was a contemporary of Jesus would write about him at all.
The areas where Jesus lived were controlled by the Roman Empire. Jewish scholars in that area wrote about Judaism.
Neither the Roman Empire nor the Judaic hierarchy of the area had any regard for Jesus. The Romans thought him a kook or a rabble-rouser if they DID regard him at all, and they only came to know about Him as He was brought to their attention by the Jewish hierarchy, who rejected Him.
Jewish scholars don't commemorate those they regard as heretics, and Roman scribes don't commemorate local flakes who get foisted off on them by their Jewish subjects.
I told you "why."

Copied from my post --> "thousands of followers, miracle after miracle, raising folks from the dead -- supposedly the most important person who ever lived."

OK, let's agree that an observant Jew of this kind somehow went unrecorded by contemporary writers throughout the region.

OK, let's agree it's somehow plausible that no contemporary documentation is part of God's grand plan.

Let's agree that the historical cookie-cutter nature of the story also part of God's grand plan.

I would love to have a near-guaranteed ticket to eternal bliss. Please tell me 3 things.

#1... For what purpose did Jesus appoint the CC?

#2... Do you believe that God is pleased with the results?

#3... Why or why not?

Thanks.
concerned in Brasil

Europe

#534340 May 3, 2014
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
I've read that section, and it's an outstanding treatise outlining the nature of atem's responses when confronted with what would presume to be an "authority" in protestant thought (the Rev. Dr. Williams whom I cited a couple of days back).
"Private judgment is fatal to the theological virtue of faith."
Right on.
Again I must point out both you and Ant are making up Straw man

Sola scriptoria is not an Individual or private interpretation.

It means all that is needed for salvation and Faith in God is found in the scriptures and that any tradition outside of the scripture that contradicts the Scripture is and must be rejected to maintain faith and salvation.

Sola scriptoria does negate elders and laymen coming together to search the scriptures together for God's meanings, in Fact Sola Scriptoria affirms this as Paul affirmed the BEREANS note plural more than one for searching the scriptures daily together in a group to see if what Paul taught was true.

If one is Sola Sciptoria they will form fellowships and Appoint Elders and engage with other Fellowships to obtain the true meaning of Scripture but they will not allow Tradition of men to contaminate this especially if the tradition contradicts Scripture the word of God.

In fact the worlds largest sect that allows private interpretation is the RCC if the Pope setting on the chair tomorrow of Peter says Mary is God the forth personage of the God head that's it done deal no one can argue he is Pope the Vicar of Christ and RC's believe he is infallible when speaking from the chair of Peter, now that truly is private and individual interpretation Gone WILD

It is the RC putting up a straw man that Sola Sciptoria is an individual interpretation it is not and never has been.

YOU are defeating something that Evangelical Sola scriptoria Christians do not do or believe.

Easy to win that argument but it is disingenuous and deceitful to miss represent others beliefs and with you two there is no excuse as you know better and this can only be intentionally done on both your parts

Prince George, Canada

#534341 May 3, 2014
confrinting with the word wrote:
[ BUT I KNOW THAT GOD LIVES...
KayMarie
I want you to be honest with your self and ask your self this ONE question ... just to start you on the road to de-hypnotize your self.

"Why is it that I believe 'I' am qualified to be a messenger of God and always believe that others that disagree with my theology are not qualified to be messengers of God?"
Gods R Delusions x Mine

Orlando, FL

#534342 May 3, 2014
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
What "reality" do you want here?
The RCC does exist 2000 years after the fact. That's "reality", isn't it?
No one ever claimed that the existence of the Church would "cure" moral evil;. Christ didn't make that claim.
OK, let's agree again. The CC, later RCC has been around for 2000 years. It is a well organized, powerful and wealthy organization.

Thanks for telling us what the RCC does NOT claim.

We agree that Jesus didn't appoint the RCC for the purpose of becoming rich and powerful, or am I wrong?

I was hoping to hear "reality" regarding how successful the RCC has been in pursuit of its claims. How does the RCC stand after 2000 years of being God's appointed and guided church?

Prince George, Canada

#534343 May 3, 2014
Gods R Delusions x Mine wrote:
<quoted text>
#1... For what purpose did Jesus appoint the CC?
#2... Do you believe that God is pleased with the results?
From my point of view, truthful theology would BE ... if Judaism was at first favored by the one Abrahamic god, then his covenant would never have been broken with the Jews.

And that would mean (again within the theology) that Jehovah God would know that Jesus indeed was a fake messiah when he turned away from the Jews as God's chosen few.

Prince George, Canada

#534344 May 3, 2014
<quoted text>
How does the RCC stand after 2000 years of being God's appointed and guided church?
The new pope is trying to make the organization appear as a network of God's good deeds on earth.

The Vatican has been accused of money laundering because the hierarchy has too much wealth in its possession ... while the babies in Mother Teresa's "care" were starving to death for lack of food.

If there is justice, it sure is not on earth.
Liam

United States

#534345 May 3, 2014
concerned in Brasil wrote:
<quoted text>
Another RC with his head in the sand.
Nope the best you or Anthony can do is name call.
Can't give evidence to show your sect has existed for the last 2000 years can't refute RCC history with all the blood and dogma dogma no less to torture and execute heretics for over 400+ years.
That's Romes legacy that's her tradition and it does not matter how many orphanages and good works the RCC does now the cat is still out of the bag and the RCC can never claim she is the one true anything. You can white wash the truth all you want but Truth is Truth Facts are Facts Rome did what she did. You can't go back and undo it, the only thing is to repent and give it up to God and humble yourself but like the Pharisees of old you too like the your man made institution more than the truth.
You can have your delusion that is your choice but when you go spouting to the innocent and try to deceive them with your RCC lies I will stand and call your sect for what it is a lie.
Do you have a verse where Jesus or His apostles give us a list of books for sola Scriptura? Do they ever say why the epistle of Barnabas, Didache, and 1Clement are out....Hebrews, Luke and Revelation are in?
Anthony makes you look ridiculous. I dont see him doing much name calling either. Your arguments are easily disputed.. Of course your arrogance doesnt allow you to see it.
You say the Church murdered 80 million. Oldjg says the Book of Wisdom is a Roman Catholic forgery. Preston says God verbally communicated with him..
come on, is this really a challenge refuting you fundies? All you do force yourself to be ignorant. It aint fair how y'all are allowed to have this as part of your Christianity. We Catholics dont have that luxury. We have to use reason and logic. We cant ignore truth.
Anthony MN

Saint Paul, MN

#534346 May 3, 2014
confrinting with the word wrote:
<quoted text>
QUESTION.
Just what word is Jesus speaking about when he spoke about.
WORD OF THE KINGDOM..?..
It is surely not your catechism ...
Mat 13:18 Hear ye therefore the parable of the sower.
Mat 13:19 When any one
heareth
the word of the kingdom,
and understandeth it not,
then cometh the wicked one, and catcheth away
that which was sown in his heart.
It surely IS in the Catechism. But you wouldn't know it because you refuse to read it and would rather lie about it.

It reads "HEARETH the word of the kingdom". And it says "Whoever listens to you listens to me. Whoever rejects you rejects me. And whoever rejects me rejects the one who sent me."

It doesn't say "READETH the word in my abridged version and decideth on my own what it means, rejecting the opinions of all the Christians who cameth before me" like your bible must read.
concerned in Brasil

Europe

#534347 May 3, 2014
Dominus Iesus: Rome Exalts Her Throne

what Rome is really all about.

On September 5th 2000, the RC document “DOMINUS IESUS”1 (DI) was issued by Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger, head of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith.2 Carrying the full authority of an official Vatican decree, it declares the Roman Catholic Church to be the only “instrument for the salvation of all humanity.” DI has been “ratified and confirmed” by “The Sovereign Pontiff John Paul II.

In Section 17, DI speaks of the RCC as the “Primacy, which, according to the will of God, the Bishop of Rome objectively has and exercises over the entire Church.” This presumed Primacy is the arrogant underpinning of the whole document, flouting the Lord’s commandment,“The kings of the Gentiles exercise lordship over them...But ye shall not be so.”5 Rome in 2000 speaks as did the infamous Boniface VIII in 1302,“Furthermore we declare, say, define, and proclaim to every human creature that they by necessity for salvation are entirely subject to the Roman Pontiff.”6 The dominant presupposition of Rome is that the Lord set up a totalitarian hierarchy of Pope, cardinals (of which Ratzinger is high on the list), patriarchs, major archbishops, archbishops, metropolitans, coadjutor archbishops, diocesan bishops, coadjutor bishops, etc. This is the spirit of Diotrephes,“who loves to have the preeminence,” gone mad. The Biblical organizational structure of the bride of Christ is utterly different. In the true body of Christ, those ordained as elders and deacons are still only brothers within the same body and the one Master is Jesus Christ the Lord. "For one is your master even Christ and ye are all brethren.”(Mt. 23:8)

Part of the same hierarchical presupposition is expressed in DI, Section 16,“…the Catholic Church, governed by the Successor of Peter and by the Bishops in communion with him….” Presumed in this declaration is the idea that Peter went to Rome, was her first bishop, and subsequently, the bishops of Rome have by “apostolic succession” retained his prerogatives and more. The assumption is groundless. In Biblical history there is no mention of Peter ever visiting Rome. The RC position is completely inconsistent with the recorded commission that the Apostle Peter was to take the Gospel to the Jews7 as was the Apostle Paul to the Gentiles8, including those in Rome.

Nowhere in Scripture is there any suggestion of the existence of an “apostolic succession”. In the New Testament, the Apostles appointed elders 9 and deacons, not a line of apostles. There is no Biblical text for these power-endowing statements of DI. Rather the papacy alone declares by fiat that it is so. The papacy now is nothing less than the head of the apostate church depicted in Scripture, ravenous for power, the Woman who is seated upon the beast reigning “over” peoples and multitudes and nations and tongues.10

Such arrogance as the presumed “Primacy, which…the Bishop of Rome objectively has and exercises over the entire Church” is mind-boggling. Irish Catholic author Peter de Rosa, in his book Vicars of Christ: The Dark Side of the Papacy, summarizes the basic mindset behind such statements,

“…John Paul presents the papacy as the champion of truth and the rights of man. He takes it for granted that popes have never contradicted one another on essentials or deviated from Gospel truth….Apart from the fact that the tenth- and fifteenth-century papacy was the heresy, the denial of everything Jesus stood for, many popes have made astonishing errors. They have repeatedly contradicted one another and the Gospel….History explodes the myth of a papacy lily-white in the matter of truth. In an age of barbarism, the popes led the pack; in an age of enlightenment, they trailed the field. And their record was worst when, contrary to the Gospel, they tried to impose the [RC] truth by force.”11

cont....
concerned in Brasil

Europe

#534349 May 3, 2014
Submission of Intellect and Will

In Section 4, in one sentence of 170 words, DI states that the root of the problem to unity and salvation is “the tendency to read and to interpret Sacred Scripture outside the Tradition and Magisterium of the Church.” This means that the bottom line of DI is the stipulated demand to submit one’s entire mind to an earthly fallible authority that claims to be infallible. In the official word of Rome,“A religious respect of intellect and will, even if not the assent of faith, is to be paid to the teaching which the Supreme Pontiff….enuntiate[s] on faith or morals….”12 Moreover, she pronounces that the consequence for not obeying is punishment with a “just penalty”.13

The Lord himself looked to the authority of the Scriptures alone, as did His Apostles after Him. The Biblical message breathed out by God is revelation in written form (II Tim. 3:15-16). The Biblical claim is that what God has inspired was His written word (II Pet. 1:20-21). When the Lord Jesus Christ said,“the Scripture cannot be broken”(John 10:35), He was speaking of God’s authoritative written word. The events, actions, commandments, and truths from God are given in propositional, i.e. logical, written sentences. God’s declaration in Scripture is that it, and it alone, is the final authority in all matters of faith and morals. Thus there is only one written source from God, there is only one basis of truth for the Lord’s people. Against the Section 4 claimed precept of not to believe “outside the Tradition and Magisterium of the Church” is the command of the Scripture not to think above what is written:“… that ye might learn in us not to think of men above that which is written, that no one of you be puffed up for one against another.”(I Cor. 4:6). God….in these last days hath spoken unto us through His Son, and not through the Pope’s ex cathedra pronouncements nor through the Magesterium of the Church of Rome!

cont..

Prince George, Canada

#534350 May 3, 2014
<quoted text>
OK, let's agree again. The CC, later RCC has been around for 2000 years.
The following makes 2000 years seem as drop of water in a bucket.

I suggest that most all religions had saviors in their dogmas.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >

Religious behaviour is thought to have emerged by the Upper Paleolithic, before 30,000 years ago at the latest,[1] but behavioral patterns such as burial rites that one might characterize as religious - or as ancestral to religious behaviour - reach back into the Middle Paleolithic, as early as 300,000 years ago, coinciding with the first appearance of Homo neanderthalensis and Homo sapiens.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paleolithic_reli ...
concerned in Brasil

Europe

#534351 May 3, 2014
Outside Rome, No church!

The Roman Catholic Church boldly proclaims, as she did during the Inquisition,“On the other hand, the ecclesial communities which have not preserved the valid Episcopate and the genuine and integral substance of the Eucharistic mystery, are not Churches in the proper sense.…” Indeed this is ominous; as the Nazis declared non-Aryans to be non-humans, so now Rome declares other churches “not Churches in the proper sense”. In the words of the Apostle Peter, indeed this sounds as the voice of “a roaring lion”. The statement is directed against all post-Reformation churches, including the Lutherans and Anglicans, so that in DI is boldly stated Rome’s hard-line position regarding those whom she designates as “separated brethren”.30 Had those being drawn into ecumenism and dialogue done any serious study of her major documents and history, they would have found that the RCC has had this iron-clad mindset all along. For her, the only true Church sits on the Seven Hills of Rome; the only successful dialogue is to come back into her arms. Thus Vatican Council II’s post conciliar Document No. 42 on ecumenism had already stated that “…dialogue is not an end in itself…it is not just an academic discussion.”31 Rather,“ecumenical dialogue...serves to transform modes of thought and behavior and the daily life of those [non-Catholic] communities. In this way, it aims at preparing the way for their unity of faith in the bosom of a Church one and visible.”32 Transform them it must, for there is no “equality” in the “doctrinal content” that other churches have brought to the table. The Papal Primacy in a forceful inquisitorial manner is saying the same thing: come back to “Holy Mother”, otherwise we will treat you as a non-church. Confident Ecumenizers need to rethink their position: Their base in groups defined by Rome as “Churches not in the proper sense” leaves them without power because they have compromised the Gospel and the authority of Scripture alone.

For the whole article go to
http://www.the-highway.com/Bennett_dominus.ht...

A Kiss of Death for the Ecumenists

Richard M. Bennett

Prince George, Canada

#534352 May 3, 2014
Liam wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you have a verse where Jesus or His apostles give us a list of books for sola Scriptura? Do they ever say why the epistle of Barnabas, Didache, and 1Clement are out....Hebrews, Luke and Revelation are in?
Anthony makes you look ridiculous. I dont see him doing much name calling either. Your arguments are easily disputed.. Of course your arrogance doesnt allow you to see it.
You say the Church murdered 80 million. Oldjg says the Book of Wisdom is a Roman Catholic forgery. Preston says God verbally communicated with him..
come on, is this really a challenge refuting you fundies? All you do force yourself to be ignorant. It aint fair how y'all are allowed to have this as part of your Christianity. We Catholics dont have that luxury. We have to use reason and logic. We cant ignore truth.
Wacky theology

Are you really so naïve to believe that your religion owns truth from the only savior that ever visited the world???

Your Catholic theologians rely on naïve and trusting individuals such as you.
Anthony MN

Saint Paul, MN

#534353 May 3, 2014
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
You have egg on your face and you are trying to wipe some of it off by changing your tune from signs that say "hear to Word of God" to "come and and hear the gospel this Sunday"...
You are a joke.....
lol. The only joke is someone who hides their eyes when driving down the street and sees hundreds of competing bible only protestant communities disagreeing about scripture and refusing to worship together. Little did you know that when you got excommunicated you'd have a smorgasbord of protestant options. I guess the SBC got lucky.....

Prince George, Canada

#534354 May 3, 2014
Liam wrote:
<quoted text>
Will you at least just try to digest a different point of view???
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>

From my point of view, truthful theology would BE ... if Judaism was at first favored by the one Abrahamic god, then his covenant would never have been broken with the Jews.

And that would mean (again within the theology) that Jehovah God would know that Jesus indeed was a fake messiah when he turned away from the Jews as God's chosen few.
Anthony MN

Saint Paul, MN

#534355 May 3, 2014
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
It's Time to Leave the ELCA
As the title says, I believe it is time to leave the denomination that long ago left God. God's Word is true and the ELCA has decided that their thoughts are above God's thoughts. This is evident in many ways that the typical ELCA member may not know about. Below I outline a number of ways the ELCA has turned away from God, denying the very Word of God.
No....and neither your cult that practices, among other things, cannibalism and drinking of human blood....nor any other denomination that do not follow the written inspired infallible Word of God...
Of course you wouldn't. But they're bible alone. Just like your denomination. And they have trained pastors. Just like your denomination. And they say you don't follow the written inspired infallible Word of God. What's a seeker to do? Listen to an excommunicated triple-married, twice divorced SBC convert? lol.

Prince George, Canada

#534356 May 3, 2014
The following words are from Kimberly.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >

ROME SWEET HOME by Scott and Kimberly Hahn … our journey to Catholicism

I had always desired all my children to go into full-time Christian service, but now I realize that if they did that I would have to suffer the loss of my grandchildren.(As Protestants, my father, uncle, brother and husband were married ministers, so celibacy had never before been an issue.)

And, small as it may seem, I dreaded the possibility of our home becoming cluttered with religious paraphernalia. When one friend gave us a crucifix in front of a group of people, I could not even speak. In my heart all I could think was, You have my spouse, but don’t redecorate my house!

Prince George, Canada

#534357 May 3, 2014
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
inspired infallible Word
Do you honestly believe that a god talked to Catholic theologians and told them what to write???

Are that thick-headed???

Consider that the one Abrahamic god in theology chose the Jews as his favorite few. Do you believe the GOD LIED, or do you believe that the Catholics lied???

Come ON ... fess UP as time's a-wastin!

Idiocy!!!
Liam

United States

#534358 May 3, 2014
concerned in Brasil wrote:
Outside Rome, No church!
The Roman Catholic Church boldly proclaims, as she did during the Inquisition,“On the other hand, the ecclesial communities which have not preserved the valid Episcopate and the genuine and integral substance of the Eucharistic mystery, are not Churches in the proper sense.…” Indeed this is ominous; as the Nazis declared non-Aryans to be non-humans, so now Rome declares other churches “not Churches in the proper sense”. In the words of the Apostle Peter, indeed this sounds as the voice of “a roaring lion”. The statement is directed against all post-Reformation churches, including the Lutherans and Anglicans, so that in DI is boldly stated Rome’s hard-line position regarding those whom she designates as “separated brethren”.30 Had those being drawn into ecumenism and dialogue done any serious study of her major documents and history, they would have found that the RCC has had this iron-clad mindset all along. For her, the only true Church sits on the Seven Hills of Rome; the only successful dialogue is to come back into her arms. Thus Vatican Council II’s post conciliar Document No. 42 on ecumenism had already stated that “…dialogue is not an end in itself…it is not just an academic discussion.”31 Rather,“ecumenical dialogue...serves to transform modes of thought and behavior and the daily life of those [non-Catholic] communities. In this way, it aims at preparing the way for their unity of faith in the bosom of a Church one and visible.”32 Transform them it must, for there is no “equality” in the “doctrinal content” that other churches have brought to the table. The Papal Primacy in a forceful inquisitorial manner is saying the same thing: come back to “Holy Mother”, otherwise we will treat you as a non-church. Confident Ecumenizers need to rethink their position: Their base in groups defined by Rome as “Churches not in the proper sense” leaves them without power because they have compromised the Gospel and the authority of Scripture alone.
For the whole article go to
http://www.the-highway.com/Bennett_dominus.ht...
A Kiss of Death for the Ecumenists
Richard M. Bennett
What are we supposed to label you? You say your Christian, but you dont teach the same Christianity as Jesus. You've completely hacked apart the Bible; eliminated the Eucharist; eliminated the Sacraments (which directly came from the Apostles.)... how are we to define people like you? You may as well be Mormon. You literally designed your own Christianity by using our Bible. That is no different than Muhammad or Joseph Smith. I can't believe you do not wonder why no one can verify your theology as being accepted by anyone in Christianity in the first century... Or second, third or fourth. Oh, ya you compensated that problem by forcing yourself to believe the Roman Roman Roman Roman Catholic Church took your Bibles and murdered 50 billion blah blah.
Those teachings of yours WILL stand before God one day. The souls you led away from the Eucharist by using those lies will be accounted for. You dont seem to fear God. Most fanatics don't. God knows whether or not you truly believe those 18th century propaganda literatures are true, or if you're just using them to wash your hands.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 5 min Mike duck it 99,275
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 6 min UidiotRAceMakeWor... 830,588
Why do white men hate white women who want blac... (May '11) 13 min Paul is dead 1966 3,015
God is REAL - Miracles Happen! (Jun '11) 14 min Mike duck it 5,836
This ~ or ~ That? (game) (Dec '12) 1 hr Kid_Tomorrow 1,811
the Atlanta Hawks were just a 'regular season F... 1 hr Kid_Tomorrow 3
News Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 2 hr Gas Woman 121,734
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 2 hr lovewithin 40,230
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 3 hr WasteWater 3,670
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 4 hr Remnant of 144000 611,948
More from around the web