Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 647088 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Since: Sep 09

Prince George, Canada

#534304 May 3, 2014
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
No question about it.
Of course you don't question what you and Dan believe is true.

That would NEVER fly with you.

According to your specific cult ... Catholicism fulfills universal truth ... PERIOD!

I suggest you don't even know if what humans refer to as truth, is, or is not, a mental illusion.

I certainly don't know.

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 53:1.--6 "MATT 10:27"

#534305 May 3, 2014
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Sola scriptura ("Bible alone")
The belief in the Bible as the sole source of faith is unhistorical, illogical, fatal to the virtue of faith, and destructive of unity.
It is unhistorical. No one denies the fact that Christ and the Apostles founded the Church by preaching and exacting faith in their doctrines. No book told as yet of the Divinity of Christ, the redeeming value of His Passion, or of His coming to judge the world; these and all similar revelations had to be believed on the word of the Apostles, who were, as their powers showed, messengers from God. And those who received their word did so solely on authority. As immediate, implicit submission of the mind was in the lifetime of the Apostles the only necessary token of faith, there was no room whatever for what is now called private judgment. This is quite clear from the words of Scripture: "Therefore, we also give thanks to God without ceasing: because, that when you had received of us the word of the hearing of God, you received it not as the word of men, but (as it is indeed) the word of God" (1 Thessalonians 2:13). The word of hearing is received through a human teacher and is believed on the authority of God, who is its first author (cf. Romans 10:17). But, if in the time of the Apostles, faith consisted in submitting to authorized teaching, it does so now; for the essence of things never changes and the foundation of the Church and of our salvation is immovable.
Again, it is illogical to base faith upon the private interpretation of a book. For faith consists in submitting; private interpretation consists in judging. In faith by hearing, the last word rests with the teacher; in private judgment it rests with the reader, who submits the dead text of Scripture to a kind of post-mortem examination and delivers a verdict without appeal: he believes in himself rather than in any higher authority. But such trust in one's own light is not faith. Private judgment is fatal to the theological virtue of faith. John Henry Newman says "I think I may assume that this virtue, which was exercised by the first Christians, is not known at all amongst Protestants now; or at least if there are instances of it, it is exercised toward those, I mean their teachers and divines, who expressly disclaim that they are objects of it, and exhort their people to judge for themselves" ("Discourses to Mixed Congregations", Faith and Private Judgment). And in proof he advances the instability of Protestant so-called faith: "They are as children tossed to and fro and carried along by every gale of doctrine. If they had faith they would not change. They look upon the simple faith of Catholics as if unworthy the dignity of human nature, as slavish and foolish". Yet upon that simple, unquestioning faith the Church was built up and is held together to this day.
Where absolute reliance on God's word, proclaimed by his accredited ambassadors, is wanting, i.e. where there is not the virtue of faith, there can be no unity of Church. It stands to reason, and Protestant history confirms it. The "unhappy divisions", not only between sect and sect but within the same sect, have become a byword. They are due to the pride of private intellect, and they can only be healed by humble submission to a Divine authority.
http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/12495a.htm
QUESTION.

Just what word is Jesus speaking about when he spoke about.

WORD OF THE KINGDOM..?..

It is surely not your catechism ...

Mat 13:18 Hear ye therefore the parable of the sower.

Mat 13:19 When any one

heareth

the word of the kingdom,

and understandeth it not,

then cometh the wicked one, and catcheth away

that which was sown in his heart.

Location hidden

#534306 May 3, 2014
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
You can play games and pretend it ain't so because you hate the fact that I'm right, and it pains you to admit it. We know this because anyone here can pick up a phone directory or jump in their car and confirm it.
What no one can do, unless you reside on the lunatic fringe, is verify that this absurd 40 million number is anything but delusional. No respected historian comes up with anything close. The most recent estimate is in the few 1000's.
Really!!!!

I picked up a phone directory and jumped in my car. The only thing confirm was the fact that I picked up a phone directory and jumped in my car!!!!
Dan

Omaha, NE

#534307 May 3, 2014
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you use the word "Christ" rather than the word Jesus?
Many of you have that habit. Is that in itself NOT disrespectful???
Keep in mind that before the Catholic religion, the word Jesus (as a savior) did NOT exist.
The word Jesus itself means "savior."
The Catholics, as were all theologians were simply more manipulators of words.
Actually the word "Christ" means "anointed/messiah", not "Jesus".

Wrong again, June.

Making up what words mean sure IS manipulation. Are you Catholic?

Location hidden

#534308 May 3, 2014
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
3 protestant denominations, all within a block of each other. All with signs out front telling people to come and and hear the gospel this Sunday. Don't believe me? Get in your car a take a drive through through a suburb.
The bible may be the same bible but they don't agree on what the bible says. I know....I talk with these people. I've spoken with the pastor. They compete for members.
Time for you to grow up and face facts Yoda
You have egg on your face and you are trying to wipe some of it off by changing your tune from signs that say "hear to Word of God" to "come and and hear the gospel this Sunday"...

You are a joke.....
Dan

Omaha, NE

#534309 May 3, 2014
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you use the word "Christ" rather than the word Jesus?
Many of you have that habit. Is that in itself NOT disrespectful???
Keep in mind that before the Catholic religion, the word Jesus (as a savior) did NOT exist.
The Catholics, as were all theologians were simply more manipulators of words.
Actually, compund error here-

"Keep in mind that before the Catholic religion, the word Jesus (as a savior) did NOT exist.

Noted earlier that "Jesus" DOESN'T mean "savior", and futhermore:

"The name Yeshua appears to have been in use in Judea at the time of the birth of Jesus.[31] The first-century works of historian Flavius Josephus (who wrote in Koine Greek, the same language as that of the New Testament)[32] refer to at least twenty different people with the name Jesus (i.e. &#7992;&#951;&#963 ;&#959;&#8166;&#96 2;).[33]"
Dan

Omaha, NE

#534310 May 3, 2014
marge wrote:
<quoted text>
Huh? So your hope is in somebody elses private judgement? I don't think you know where 'faith' comes from.
16For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek. 17For in it the righteousness of God is revealed from faith to faith; as it is written, "BUT THE RIGHTEOUS man SHALL LIVE BY FAITH."
Not just "somebody else's"

Those comissioned with Christ's ministerial authority in Scripture.

Location hidden

#534311 May 3, 2014
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
One of them is an ELCA denomination. Would you worship with them? Would you participate in their "communion" knowing that you reject what they believe about it? Unless you're a phony Christian you wouldn't.
It's Time to Leave the ELCA
As the title says, I believe it is time to leave the denomination that long ago left God. God's Word is true and the ELCA has decided that their thoughts are above God's thoughts. This is evident in many ways that the typical ELCA member may not know about. Below I outline a number of ways the ELCA has turned away from God, denying the very Word of God.

No....and neither your cult that practices, among other things, cannibalism and drinking of human blood....nor any other denomination that do not follow the written inspired infallible Word of God...

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#534313 May 3, 2014
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
You have more than an excess of empathy for the popes who were serial killers that ordered the killing of far more humans than did Gary Ridgway.
Not one criticism has come forth from you about the Catholics that slaughtered the Jews and many others for all those many centuries.
Where was the supposed conscience in your popes or for that matter, in YOU, for supporting their serial killings as being linked to "GOD?"
At least Gary Ridgway did not blame his killings on having anything to do with a god telling him to kill.
You are SUCH a hypocrite.
June

You are right. There isn't much room in my religion for criticizing people. But that does not mean I am not aware that we are not perfect. I very much include yours truly in that statement.

I have a very difficult time with problems now, so I don't need to go back into history and dig up polemic arguments. Although at times they may be used as reference.

In the 50s when information was less, and slower, one could focus on some aspect, and I prefer to work in that way, instead of being an inveigher of populist news.

#534314 May 3, 2014
who="Anthony MN" <quoted text>
Again, it is illogical to base faith upon the private interpretation of a book. For faith consists in submitting; private interpretation consists in judging. In faith by hearing, the last word rests with the teacher; in private judgment it rests with the reader, who submits the dead text of Scripture to a kind of post-mortem examination and delivers a verdict without appeal: he believes in himself rather than in any higher authority. But such trust in one's own light is not faith. Private judgment is fatal to the theological virtue of faith.
http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/12495a.htm

----------
You seem to be brain-washed, Anthony. One does not need to 'interpret' a plain statement such as the one mentioned.
"FOR I AM NOT ASHAMED OF THE GOSPEL, FOR "IT" "IS" THE POWER OF GOD UNTO SALVATION."
'Interpretation of that statement could only come from someone who DOES NOT EVEN KNOW WHAT THE GOSPEL IS !!! "

KayMarie
concerned in Brasil

Europe

#534315 May 3, 2014
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
You can play games and pretend it ain't so because you hate the fact that I'm right, and it pains you to admit it. We know this because anyone here can pick up a phone directory or jump in their car and confirm it.
What no one can do, unless you reside on the lunatic fringe, is verify that this absurd 40 million number is anything but delusional. No respected historian comes up with anything close. The most recent estimate is in the few 1000's.
LOL well I now can only post through you to show the thread how a RC defends his faith with deceit and lies

In your own link that you posted which has books listed in the footnotes which I own they are with its in the Millions over 400+ years.

I have posted over and over again Credible historians who give irrefutable evidence for the 40+ million figure

It does not matter how many posts of verifiable historical facts I present to you because in you arrogant dumb dumb way you say they are wacko's or fringe extremists or what ever the flavor name calling is of the day.

But you never NIEVER offer how the RCC can be the one true yadda yadda in light of Papal bull and decree Instituting as dogma Inquisition with torture and summary executions as normative practice to convert non believers or make heretics recant. with the displacement of whole people groups, wars via papal armies against fellow Christians, and the confiscation of property to fill Romes coffers. Sad sad sad.

This was not a one time deal this was done by 42 popes over some 400+ years with 80 000 souls lost on average per year some 40+ million over these 400+ years.

You can grease little piggie all you want and play your stupid game and I thank you as all you are doing is showing this thread is you have not got a Pope to stand on and your assertions are False.

We debate the merits of whether the RCC is the one true church and your spouting lies I drove by three fellowships and their signs were different Ya so what you are an Idiot if some how you think this proves your sect is the one.

LOL ROFL is this the best a Roman Catholic can offer, if so you lose.

Prince George, Canada

#534316 May 3, 2014
Robert F wrote:
<quoted text>
June
You are right. There isn't much room in my religion for criticizing people. But that does not mean I am not aware that we are not perfect. I very much include yours truly in that statement.
I have a very difficult time with problems now, so I don't need to go back into history and dig up polemic arguments. Although at times they may be used as reference.
In the 50s when information was less, and slower, one could focus on some aspect, and I prefer to work in that way, instead of being an inveigher of populist news.
You are a religio-holic. And your drug of spirit is Christianity.

You can't or won't take your mind beyond your cult of indecency in the claim that those who are not Christian will spend eternity in hell.

Prince George, Canada

#534317 May 3, 2014
confrinting with the word wrote:
You seem to be brain-washed
Hahahahahahaha

Catholics were the first Christians. YOU are a watered-down tail-ender, and you DARE to refer to Anthony as being brain-washed.

Hilarious!!!

Prince George, Canada

#534318 May 3, 2014
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Noted earlier that "Jesus" DOESN'T mean "savior
The Incredible Book of Vatican Facts and Papal Curiosities … A treasury of Trivia, by Nino Lo Bello~ Published 1998.

What does the name “Jesus” mean?

The meaning of the name “Jesus” is derived from both Aramaic and Hebrew languages. In Aramaic, Jesus is “Yeshua”, in Hebrew, Jesus is “Joshua.” The three words—Jesus, Yeshua, and Joshua—mean savior.

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#534319 May 3, 2014
confrinting with the word wrote:
<quoted text>
QUESTION.
Just what word is Jesus speaking about when he spoke about.
WORD OF THE KINGDOM..?..
It is surely not your catechism ...
Mat 13:18 Hear ye therefore the parable of the sower.
Mat 13:19 When any one
heareth
the word of the kingdom,
and understandeth it not,
then cometh the wicked one, and catcheth away
that which was sown in his heart.
confronting

Peace

I am not quite sure what kind of answer to give....

First in a sense, "Ignorance of the law is no excuse.", and so a person who is not paying attention is still culpable.

It is sort of like people using mobile phones while driving a care. People are to distracted with what they consider important, than to be focused on the greater issues.(I think Jesus saw this sort of attitude even back in his day.)

Secondly, the word of the kingdom, is like proclamation, from the King, concerning how things operate in his Kingdom. In this case Jesus.

(Back in history, the heart was considered a sort of knowledge, and the brain was just a fatty organ. Today we separate heart and mind, which at times makes it difficult to translate things into modern terms.)

Prince George, Canada

#534320 May 3, 2014
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Those comissioned with Christ's ministerial authority in Scripture.
You CHOOSE to be a fool.

Catholic theologians ordained their selves as ministerial authorities.

The Jews before them committed the same atrocities when they claimed that their one god chose only them as favorites.

Theologians all back through history committed the same crimes, by also claiming THEY were the REAL messengers of god(s).

Such silliness is nothing new, as the practice is as old as religion.
concerned in Brasil

Europe

#534322 May 3, 2014
Liam wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you need to repent for bearing false witness. Man....
You're a bona fide bigot. There is no reason to have a serious discussion with a wacko like you. Lose the bigotry, and I bet the fanaticism will flake away.
Another RC with his head in the sand.

Nope the best you or Anthony can do is name call.

Can't give evidence to show your sect has existed for the last 2000 years can't refute RCC history with all the blood and dogma dogma no less to torture and execute heretics for over 400+ years.

That's Romes legacy that's her tradition and it does not matter how many orphanages and good works the RCC does now the cat is still out of the bag and the RCC can never claim she is the one true anything. You can white wash the truth all you want but Truth is Truth Facts are Facts Rome did what she did. You can't go back and undo it, the only thing is to repent and give it up to God and humble yourself but like the Pharisees of old you too like the your man made institution more than the truth.

You can have your delusion that is your choice but when you go spouting to the innocent and try to deceive them with your RCC lies I will stand and call your sect for what it is a lie.

Prince George, Canada

#534323 May 3, 2014
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong again, June.
The word savior and messiah have the same meaning.

So when the Catholic theologians added the word Jesus to the already existing word Christ ... they ended up with double-dipping ... as "Messiah-Messiah" ... or the equally silly ..." Savior-Savior."

#534324 May 3, 2014
[who="June VanDerMark" I knew a man who had lived his long life as an Agnostic, and had treated his family well, until the Jehovah's Witnesses managed to frighten him when he was in his eighties into their cult.
The poor old man was scared out of his wits that his wife would be left out of his imagined wonderful experience in the hereafter, and he kept irritating her against her will with his messages of supposed truth until she had a nervous breakdown.
After much misery, at last death gave both of them relieve from religion.

----------
As you said, June..."he was frightened into a cult", and tried to do the same to his wife. JW is another cult that denies that Jesus is God, so they miss the power of faith which ONLY COMES FROM GOD THROUGH JESUS.

I have known thousands of men and women who have lived good, peaceful lives when they accepted the promises of the LIVING God, believing that God's Son has set them free from the penalty of sin.

Even IF there were no God, nor any hereafter, SUCH LIVES ARE OF GREAT VALUE IN THE HERE-AND-NOW !!! BUT I KNOW THAT GOD LIVES...

KayMarie

Prince George, Canada

#534325 May 3, 2014
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong again, June.
Why do think the terminology many times equates to Jesus "THE" Christ.

I suggest you think about it.

They tried to pull a fast one over the readers. Savior the savior, or, Messiah the Messiah, isn't as appealing to the mental sensitivities of the hungry readers, as is Jesus the Christ.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 2 min Steve III 44,732
Israel End is Near (Feb '15) 6 min Steve III 389
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 35 min Neville Thompson 281,295
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 36 min nanoanomaly 49,688
Play "end of the word" part 2 (Dec '15) 48 min andet1987 2,118
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 1 hr Annaleigh 105,693
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 2 hr The Hangman 971,830
my cousin touches me when i am asleep and i kin... (Mar '14) 5 hr poptropaa 44
topix drops human sexuality forum.......this be... 14 hr Jockfullonutz 28
More from around the web