Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.
Comments
514,801 - 514,820 of 532,780 Comments Last updated 21 min ago

Since: Sep 09

Prince George, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2014

I suggest if the shoe was on the other foot and Kimberly had wanted Scott to leave the Protestant religion, he would have had nothing to do with it whatsoever.

He strikes me as having no feelings for her pain at all. It's all about him ... period!
>>>>>>> >>>>>

ROME SWEET HOME by Scott and Kimberly Hahn … our journey to Catholicism

After Mass someone grabbed a camera and asked for a picture of everyone with Scott. I tried to step out of the group, but Scott insisted I be in the picture, too. I thought, why do I want to memorialize the worst night of my life? Though all of Scott’s friends were very kind to me at the party afterward, it was excruciating to see the delight of all for him when our marriage was in the midst of the greatest challenge we ever had.
Regina

Toms River, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2014

marge wrote:
<quoted text>
Neutralizing Bible fundamentalism? Is that a threat?
Where did you get that from Regina?, the link does not work.
I don't know, you'll have to ask the person who wrote it. Doesn't sound like a threat to me, merely an acknowledgement that extensive correction needs to be made. After all, Protestantism is heresy, and no matter how "nice" and "good hearted" one may be, there is such a thing as objective truth. It is *not* all good. If that's the case, then Christ wasted His time teaching that there is only ONE truth. Christianity is not a heart-warming novel or a sentimental movie.

Prince George, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2014

Judged:

Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
I could go on...and on...
And I'll cast bets that you will.

Preachers of religion LOVE to tell the story from the perspective of the supposed gods that they profess to worship.

Prince George, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2014

Regina wrote:
Is Sola Scriptura in the Bible? A Reply to R.C. Sproul Jr.
Sproul begins his essay with the following paragraph:
Do ya think that Jesus hired him to write that essay on behalf of GOD???

:)

Prince George, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2014

Regina wrote:
<quoted text>
After all, Protestantism is heresy,
NO KIDDING???

Prince George, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2014

The word heresy at one time meant "able to choose."

BOY OH BOY ... did those in religion ever mess up THAT word.
Regina

Toms River, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2014

June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Do ya think that Jesus hired him to write that essay on behalf of GOD???
Being a fundie, I'm sure he does think that.

But wait, there's more! Let's continue, shall we....
marge

Ames, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2014

Regina wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know, you'll have to ask the person who wrote it. Doesn't sound like a threat to me, merely an acknowledgement that extensive correction needs to be made. After all, Protestantism is heresy, and no matter how "nice" and "good hearted" one may be, there is such a thing as objective truth. It is *not* all good. If that's the case, then Christ wasted His time teaching that there is only ONE truth. Christianity is not a heart-warming novel or a sentimental movie.
How I'm I supposed to know who wrote it? Is this a new tactic from the Vatican or just a few of the Catholics thoughts?

We don't think there is objective truth and no it's not all good. We believe in only ONE Truth.

Roman Catholism is heresy. All believers learn this when they are regenerated by God and can read the Bible for themselves.

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 55:11--"MATT 10:27"

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2014

Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
"The church is built on the Word. God's Word."
Do you believe, like Preston, that your bible is God?
WHAT god's WORD ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT...

Is it the one you serve found in the Vatican..

JEHOVAH...... "I AM THAT I AM .

Exo_3:14 And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you.

. NEVER SAID ANY THING ABOUT.

THE ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH... THAT YOUR (so called holy fathers.) invented.

and to us in an attempt to control the eternal destiny of all man on earth..

which is very STRANGE ......Since you don"t believe that you have and you can't promise any one a secure or certain dwelling place in eternity..

You Roman Catholics have no proof whatsoever that GOD sent you...and you track record bears witness that he hasn't....

Joh_3:34 For he whom God hath sent speaketh the words of God: for God giveth not the Spirit by measure unto him.

The Roman Catholic Church refuses the word of God

and

has no idea of the measure of it. in Heaven or in earth.
Liam

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2014

OldJG wrote:
OldJG wrote:
<quoted text>
If it is the same sacrifice as Calvary as your mass does that mean those in attendance ate the flesh of Jesus and drank His blood as you Romans do? Are you serious?
You said, quote, "I wouldn't bother reading anyone who came after Luther. They are just men who decided to design their own theology after privately interpreting someone else's Scriptures- to put it bluntly." End quote.
Bluntly? How many Roman Catholics wrote one word in the Bible? How many Roman Catholics helped compile the Bible? The answer to both questions is NONE.
Not one.
The term “canon” is used to describe the books that are divinely inspired and therefore belong in the Bible. The difficulty in determining the biblical canon is that the Bible does not give us a list of the books that belong in the Bible. Determining the canon was a process conducted first by Jewish rabbis and scholars and later by early Christians not Romans. Ultimately, it was God who decided what books belonged in the biblical canon. A book of Scripture belonged in the canon from the moment God inspired its writing. It was simply a matter of God’s convincing His human followers which books should be included in the Bible.
<quoted text>
You said, quote, "Well, Peter and Paul founded the Church in Rome" End quote. There is no proof Peter was in Rome but Paul surely was there.
I am so tired of calling you a liar and a fake I must quit. You are not worth it. Your ignorance is astounding and your pride will not allow you to see the truth.
Thats ok oldgg, your act is gettin old anyway. I believe you realize your wrong. I can see it in almost every post of yours. Your writings are of a defeated man. Thats why I dont get upset with you anymore. I have pity. Not just for you, but for all the ignorant fundies. I wouldn't want to be in your shoes. One of the reasons why I love being Catholic is that they do not require me to force myself to be stupid. Y'all on the other hand, have entwined ridiculous slander as part of your religion.

I told CIB and you- and now I'll tell that Richie T dude: if u can debunk Catholicism without lying , I swear I will join your sect tomorrow. You can't do it...Bearing false witness against Catholics is the bloodline of fundamental Christianity. The CC doesn't ask us to lie about you. They don't need to. its all on the table... facts are facts; history archaeology, science, reason and logic vindicate the Catholic Church. I heard our Priest say Sunday- Divine mercy Sunday - " the doors on the Cathedral swing both ways. We have the free will to leave.
Regina

Toms River, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2014

Sproul continues:

Sola Scriptura, like the Scriptures themselves, recognizes that God has gifted the church with teachers and pastors. It recognizes that the church has progressed and reached consensus on critical issues in and through the ancient ecumenical creeds. It affirms with vigor that we are all standing on the shoulders of giants. But it also affirms that even these giants have feet of clay. And there is where the Bible does in the end teach sola Scriptura.

If by “feet of clay” Sproul means that every mere human, during this present life, is capable of sin and error, then the Catholic Church agrees, in which case the fact that men have “feet of clay” does not entail sola scriptura. But if by “feet of clay” Sproul means that there was no oral Apostolic Tradition, and/or that the Holy Spirit failed to preserve this oral Apostolic Tradition, and/or that the Holy Spirit fails to protect the Church’s Magisterium from error when it definitively determines doctrine on matters of faith and morals, then Sproul needs to demonstrate that these results are entailed by the fact that men have “feet of clay.” Merely pointing out that men have “feet of clay” does not by itself set limitations on what the Holy Spirit is able to do through men.
http://www.calledtocommunion.com/2009/11/is-s...
marge

Ames, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2014

“It is written:‘Man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.’

I;m going to watch 19 kids and counting. Later.
concerned in Brasil

Europe

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2014

Regina wrote:
A.D. 90 – the Lord’s Supper as a sacrifice – that Catholic teaching is supported by a quote from the Didache:
“But every Lord’s day gather yourselves together, and break bread, and give thanksgiving after having confessed your transgressions, that your sacrifice may be pure.”
Confessing transgressions before receiving the Holy Sacrifice – that sounds pretty Catholic to me. The Didache or “Teaching of the Lord to the Gentiles (or Nations) by the Twelve Apostles” is the earliest catechism known to exist. It was used to teach catechumens that desired to become members of a visible church that was governed by bishops appointed by the Apostles. It seem to me that it would be difficult to deny that the church that these catechumens wished to join was the church that Christ personally founded, since the Didache was composed in the time between these two historical events:
(A.D. 33 – death and resurrection of Christ)
and
(A.D. 95 – death of the last apostle, John)
http://www.calledtocommunion.com/
You clearly read into the text that which is not there.
He says after the Lords supper Eucharist, after confessing your sins that your sacrifice may be pure, clearly when we take the elements the bread and wine we do this in remembrance of Him JESUS and we remember his Sacrifice, this clearly refers to OUR sacrifice you would do well to read more then just cherry pick.
so lets keep reading that which RC don't want any one to see.
14 On every Lord's Day—his special day527—come together and break bread and give thanks, first confessing your sins so that your sacrifice may be pure. &#8195;2Anyone at variance with his neighbor must not join you, until they are reconciled, lest your sacrifice be defiled. &#8195;3For it was of this sacrifice that the Lord said, "Always and everywhere offer me a pure sacrifice; for I am a great King, says the Lord, and my name is marveled at by the nations."528
15 You must, then, elect for yourselves bishops and deacons who are a credit to the Lord, men who are gentle, generous, faithful, and well tried. For their ministry to you is identical with that of the prophets and teachers. &#8195;2You must not, therefore, despise them, for along with the prophets and teachers they enjoy a place of honor among you.
3Furthermore, do not reprove each other angrily, but quietly, as you find it in the gospel. Moreover, if anyone has wronged his neighbor, nobody must speak to him, and he must not hear a word from you, until he repents. &#8195;4Say your prayers, give your charity, and do everything just as you find it in the gospel of our Lord.
You must, then, elect for yourselves bishops and deacons who are a credit to the Lord
Mmmmm Rome does not do this anymore the lay do not get to vote MMMM
Say your prayers, give your charity, and do everything just as you find it in the gospel of our Lord.
Mmmmm Roman Catholics do not pray as Jesus and the Apostles did as we find it in the Gospels they don't jsut pray to God only they now pray to dead people MMMMmmmm
Notice we are to pray as in the Gospels he is using scripture for dogma for Christian practice and this date in around 160-180 AD but wait how can this be we did not get the Bible till 382 AD according to Rome.
And he does not say pray as Holy tradition teaches but ONLY as the Gospels teach.
SOLA SCRIPTORIA
Thanks Regina
truth

Mandurah, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2014

very sad
who wrote bible
Jesus or his discipline..

-don't used god name in vain
-don't have another gods masters party clubs

What is deference between infinite and absolute?

-from generation to generation life going like that
-absolute power who have or try have as absolute

-infinite going going and going as life going generation up to generation
concerned in Brasil

Europe

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2014

Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
The NABre "tells it like it is: Quote: Church: this word (Greek ekklsia) occurs in the gospels only here and in Mt 18:17 (twice). There are several possibilities for an Aramaic original. Jesus’ church means the community that he will gather and that, like a building, will have Peter as its solid foundation. That function of Peter consists in his being witness to Jesus as the Messiah, the Son of the living God.
The RCC is a denomination.....Christ built no such....
Matthew was written Greek Only some RC think and hope for an Aramaic original but yet there is not one.

If you wish to superpose a Aramaic version you open a can of worms for then all the councils that embraced the Greek version as true and the Latin Vulgate would be in error.

So how about we stay in Reality and not venture into FANTASY ISLAND

“YESHUA IS LORD”

Since: Apr 07

GAWGIA (GEORGIA)

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2014

June VanDerMark wrote:
The nice thing about a forum is, those in religion can't beat each other with clubs or shoot each other with guns, as they all hide behind their fake names and they don't know where to track each other down.
Actually ones location can be tracked down by use of the IP address.
truth

Mandurah, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2014

Which truth yo liked absolute or infinite?
If you know I am life truth and way!!!

truth is=life=infinite+way= generation up to generation
Regina

Toms River, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2014

marge wrote:
“It is written:‘Man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.’
I;m going to watch 19 kids and counting. Later.
That's right, Marge! But He never said "only if they're written down", did He? He never said sola/solo scriptura. Why settle for half when you can have all His words, when you can have the fullness of His truth? 18"I will not leave you orphans, I will come to you."
(P.S. That's John 14, LTM)

Enjoy your show!
concerned in Brasil

Europe

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2014

Regina wrote:
Is Sola Scriptura in the Bible? A Reply to R.C. Sproul Jr.
Sproul begins his essay with the following paragraph:
No, and yes. The Bible does not have specific text that suggests that the Bible alone is our final authority in all matters of faith and practice. Those who delight to point this out, however, typically Roman Catholics and the eastern Orthodox, typically miss the point. First, their energies more often than not are aimed at the Anabaptist error that we call solo Scriptura. Here the person affirms that all he needs is himself and his Bible. The wisdom of the church in history, the community of believers, are all deemed irrelevant to understanding the things of God. Solo scriptura is reprehensible and ignorant and a-historical.
Here Sproul first acknowledges that the Bible does not have a text that suggests that it alone is our final authority. Then he claims that Catholics and Orthodox who point this out are missing the point, because they are aiming their energies at solo scriptura. However, if the point of the Catholics and Orthodox who state this is straightforwardly to point out that the Bible does not have a text that suggests that it alone is our final authority, then these Catholics and Orthodox are not “missing the point,” but in fact making a true claim, one that Sproul himself acknowledges. We agree with Sproul that solo scriptura is “reprehensible.” But if, as Neal Judisch and I have recently argued here, there is no principled difference between solo scriptura and sola scriptura, then the fact that the Bible does not have a passage that suggests that the Bible alone is our final authority, is deeply problematic for those who claim that the Bible alone is our final authority.
There is no text that says God is trinity and revealed as three personages yet its Biblical.

You make no point Sola Scriptoria is Biblical in the same way The Trinity is Biblical.
Regina

Toms River, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2014

Sproul then writes:

Sola Scriptura is a biblical doctrine not because the Bible says so. That would be a tautology- the kind of argument we find in that collection of lies the Book of Mormon. Instead the Bible is our alone final authority because it alone is the Word of God. It has been attested, authenticated, by God Himself. Miracles serve as the divine imprimatur, the proof that this is a message of God. This is how Nicodemus reasoned when he said,“Rabbi, we know that You are a teacher come from God; for no one can do these signs that You do unless God is with him”(John 3:2). This is also how Jesus Himself reasoned when He first forgave the sins of the paralytic lowered through the roof. In response to the unspoken charge that He had blasphemed, Jesus told the man,“Arise, take up your bed, and go to your house”(Matthew 9:1-8).

Sproul claims that “the Bible is our alone final authority because it alone is the Word of God.” Nothing he says here actually demonstrates that only the Bible is the Word of God. In other words, nothing Sproul says here shows that the oral teaching of the Apostles was not the Word of God, or that this oral Apostolic Tradition, as it was passed down orally in the Church, was not the Word of God. The Catholic Church agrees that the Bible is the Word of God written. That’s not the point of disagreement. The point of disagreement (between Protestants and the Catholic Church) regarding sola scriptura is twofold: First, whether the Word of God written is the entirety of the Word of God given to the Church from the Apostles, or whether the Word of God spoken, and orally transmitted and handed down by the succession of bishops, is also the Word of God given to the Church from the Apostles. Second, whether or not Christ established a unique interpretive authority by way of apostolic succession from one Apostle to whom Christ gave the keys of the Kingdom. Sproul’s prooftexts do not substantiate the Protestant position regarding either of those two points of disagreement.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

496 Users are viewing the Top Stories Forum right now

Search the Top Stories Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 3 min dirty white boy- 720,553
Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 4 min bacon hater 93,722
Which is the Oldest Indian Language? Sanskrit V... (Jul '08) 13 min shyam 4,795
Sims 4 Key Generator (Oct '13) 13 min Reshi 76
The world can't deny the REALITY of the Europea... 15 min Dpctor REALITY 5
nuru massage service in Dubai ,Dubai massage nu... 19 min Dubai Massage 0553403266 6
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 54 min Pegasus 256,504
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 2 hr GodsLovestheBestLove 115,088
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 3 hr The Awakener 172,400
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••