Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 650578 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Regina

Toms River, NJ

#533196 Apr 29, 2014
Q. Catholics, do you know that bible fundamentalists' ignorance is now spreading like wildfire in other countries?
A lot of people, even in some Catholic countries, now believe that Catholics are not "Christians" and that Christians mean "bible fundamentalists". I was surprised when I heard about this.

A. I'm not too concerned, most countries abroad know what history is and they generally don't make embarrassingly stupid statements about Catholicism not being Christian. Thank God that uneducated bigots like Jack Chick are treated like the joke they really are - only in the US (and Canada) could he be viewed as authoritative in any way.

Ditto to what you said about neutralizing Bible fundamentalism. That is the real disease here.
http://www.gotsquestions.org ./html
concerned in Brasil

Europe

#533197 Apr 29, 2014
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
I never said either was "mutually exclusive" - please don't read more into what is written. I know you like to do this with "Paul" and others, please don't do it with me or facts.
....and still - Spirituality precedes religion.
Thank you for responding.
I did not say you did.

I did not read more into what you posted.

What you stated was Religion came after but it can't you miss the point the day Spirituality existed so did Religion how one practices their Spirituality how it manifests itself.

If I was to read into what are trying to say, I would say you are trying to say ORGANIZED Religion came after. But at the same moment a being becomes cognitive of being Spiritual at the same moment they become Religious and practice a Religion.

You really need to a lot more study and on Spirituality and Religion and Logic and Rational thinking anddddddd well the English language.

You are however the most polite name calling slanderer on this thread.

Since: Sep 09

Prince George, Canada

#533199 Apr 29, 2014
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't know, because there were none.
Human spiritual beliefs.
I already have shown you how death rituals could have played a role - but you dismiss them.
Suit yourself and go on believing what ever you choose. You will, even if others try to correct you.
OH ... so at the beginning of "creation" ... there were no human spiritual beliefs, but there WERE spirits?

So tell me wise one ... did the creator know that all forms of it's spiritual life were going to suffer when life-forms "materialized" into material bodies on earth???
Regina

Toms River, NJ

#533200 Apr 29, 2014
The Heresies of American Evangelicalism

1. A less-than-fully triune doctrine of God—often modalistic or binitarian;
2. A docetic christology;
3. A pelagian soteriology;
4. A docetic-dictated-propositional Bible;
5. A gnostic eschatology
http://fireandrose.com/2006/07/heresies-of-am...

Prince George, Canada

#533201 Apr 29, 2014
I suggest that non-human animals existed on earth without believing their spirit was attached to a creator.

Only humans could be so DUMB, and at the same time believe they were and ARE WISE.

YUCK!

Prince George, Canada

#533202 Apr 29, 2014
Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, maybe God's busy with other stuff anyway.
Hahahahahaha

Such as trying to break up fights among his followers.

:)

Prince George, Canada

#533203 Apr 29, 2014
guest wrote:
<quoted text>
-
-
this can't be said too often:
-
Wanna bet???

Prince George, Canada

#533204 Apr 29, 2014
The nice thing about a forum is, those in religion can't beat each other with clubs or shoot each other with guns, as they all hide behind their fake names and they don't know where to track each other down.

marge

Leesburg, GA

#533205 Apr 29, 2014
Regina wrote:
Q. Catholics, do you know that bible fundamentalists' ignorance is now spreading like wildfire in other countries?
A lot of people, even in some Catholic countries, now believe that Catholics are not "Christians" and that Christians mean "bible fundamentalists". I was surprised when I heard about this.
A. I'm not too concerned, most countries abroad know what history is and they generally don't make embarrassingly stupid statements about Catholicism not being Christian. Thank God that uneducated bigots like Jack Chick are treated like the joke they really are - only in the US (and Canada) could he be viewed as authoritative in any way.
Ditto to what you said about neutralizing Bible fundamentalism. That is the real disease here.
http://www.gotsquestions.org ./html
Neutralizing Bible fundamentalism? Is that a threat?

Where did you get that from Regina?, the link does not work.
Regina

Toms River, NJ

#533206 Apr 29, 2014
A.D. 90 – the Lord’s Supper as a sacrifice – that Catholic teaching is supported by a quote from the Didache:

“But every Lord’s day gather yourselves together, and break bread, and give thanksgiving after having confessed your transgressions, that your sacrifice may be pure.”

Confessing transgressions before receiving the Holy Sacrifice – that sounds pretty Catholic to me. The Didache or “Teaching of the Lord to the Gentiles (or Nations) by the Twelve Apostles” is the earliest catechism known to exist. It was used to teach catechumens that desired to become members of a visible church that was governed by bishops appointed by the Apostles. It seem to me that it would be difficult to deny that the church that these catechumens wished to join was the church that Christ personally founded, since the Didache was composed in the time between these two historical events:

(A.D. 33 – death and resurrection of Christ)

and

(A.D. 95 – death of the last apostle, John)
http://www.calledtocommunion.com/

Prince George, Canada

#533207 Apr 29, 2014
ROME SWEET HOME by Scott and Kimberly Hahn … our journey to Catholicism

I had a very deep sense of betrayal. I had nothing against Catholics, but I would not have started dating one. Now I was going to be married to one.

Before my very eyes, Scott was vowing himself to a Church that would separate us for a while and perhaps permanently. Never again would we take communion side by side unless one of us had a change of mind (and I could guess who that would have to be.)

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#533208 Apr 29, 2014
concerned in Brasil wrote:
1. Christ is the 'Rock': this view has the strongest support in the Scriptures and in the writings of the early Church
2. The faith confessed by Peter (common to all believers) is the 'rock': this view is also common in the writings of the early Church. Rome's latest version of its Catechism acknowledges that the faith confessed by Peter is the 'rock' on which the Church is being built; though in other places they still claim that Peter is the 'rock'.(Notice also how the papal catechism uses the past tense "Christ built his Church". This implies that the work is done, and Christ is no longer present and at work. This subtle suggestion separates the reader from Christ who, in truth, is still present and building his Church—and will be until He returns to receive his Bride.)
3. Peter's Confession, common to all believers, is the 'rock'.
Encyclopedia Britannica indicates that, from the earliest centuries of the church, the 'Rock' of Matthew 16.18 was considered to be Christ, or the faith Peter professed; and it was not until the late 4th and 5th centuries that Roman bishops began to formulate their claims to preeminence:
Of the Petrine texts, Matthew 16:18 f. is clearly central and has the distinction of being the first scriptural text invoked to support the primatial claims of the Roman bishops. Before the mid-3rd century, however, and even after that date, some Western, as well as Eastern, patristic exegetes (early Church Fathers who in their interpretation of the Bible used critical techniques) understood that by the "rock" Christ meant to refer not to Peter but to himself or to the faith that Peter professed. Nevertheless, in the late 4th and 5th centuries there was an increasing tendency on the part of the Roman bishops to justify scripturally and to formulate in theoretical terms the ill-defined preeminence in the universal church that had long been attached to the Roman Church and to its bishop. Thus, Damasus I, despite the existence of other churches of apostolic foundation, began to call the Roman Church "the apostolic see." About the same time the categories of the Roman law were borrowed to explicate and formulate the prerogatives of the Roman bishop. The process of theoretical elaboration reached a culmination in the views of Leo I and Gelasius I, the former understanding himself not simply as Peter's successor but also as his representative, or vicar. He was Peter's "unworthy heir," possessing by analogy with the Roman law of inheritance the full powers Peter himself had wielded, which he interpreted as monarchical, since Peter had been endowed with the principatus over the church.
Copyright © 1994-2000 Encyclopædia Britannica, Inc., Roman Catholicism: Ancient and medieval views for papal authority within the church
cont...
The NABre "tells it like it is: Quote: Church: this word (Greek ekklsia) occurs in the gospels only here and in Mt 18:17 (twice). There are several possibilities for an Aramaic original. Jesus’ church means the community that he will gather and that, like a building, will have Peter as its solid foundation. That function of Peter consists in his being witness to Jesus as the Messiah, the Son of the living God.

The RCC is a denomination.....Christ built no such....

Prince George, Canada

#533209 Apr 29, 2014
marge wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you think it was a message of salvation???

Prince George, Canada

#533210 Apr 29, 2014
It's amazing how people can change their minds when something suits their earthly NEEDS.

Kimberly didn't want to become a Catholic ... but it's obvious from the title of the book, in order to keep her family together, she is going to bend her own will to the will of her husband and learn to enjoy the Catholic RIDE.

However ... their lives are not over yet, and I suggest that Kimberly's early training is going to return to haunt her.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>

And the rejoicing of the people was like a dagger in my heart.

Prince George, Canada

#533211 Apr 29, 2014
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
The RCC is a denomination.....Christ built no such....
NOW NOW ... petty jealousy concerning who "Jesus loves" might not get you anywhere but to more jealousy.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#533212 Apr 29, 2014
LTM wrote:
Catholic Christian
Question: "I am a Catholic. Why should I consider becoming a Christian?"
Answer: First, please understand that we intend no offense in the wording of this question. We genuinely receive questions, from Catholics, along the lines of “What is the difference between Catholics and Christians?” In face-to-face conversations with Catholics, we have literally heard,“I am not a Christian, I am Catholic.” To many Catholics, the terms “Christian” and “Protestant” are synonymous. With all that said, the intent of this article is that Catholics would study what the Bible says about being a Christian and would perhaps consider that the Catholic faith is not the best representation of what the Bible describes. As a background, please read our article on “What is a Christian?”
A key distinction between Catholics and Christians is the view of the Bible. Catholics view the Bible as having equal authority with the Church and tradition. Christians view the Bible as the supreme authority for faith and practice. The question is, how does the Bible present itself? Second Timothy 3:16-17 tells us,“All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.” This text tells us that Scripture is not “just the beginning,” or “just the basics,” or the “foundation for a more complete church tradition.” On the contrary, Scripture is perfectly and fully sufficient for everything in the Christian life. Scripture can teach us, rebuke us, correct us, train us, and equip us.“Bible Christians” do not deny the value of church tradition. Rather, Christians uphold that for a church tradition to be valid, it must be based on the clear teaching of Scripture and must be in full agreement with Scripture. Catholic friend, study the Word of God for yourself. In God’s Word you will find God’s description of, and intention for, His Church. Second Timothy 2:15 declares,“Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a workman who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth.”
cont
Its very simple. A Christian is a follower of Jesus Christ....Catholics do not follow His teachings.....Example:
All have sinned and come short of the glory of God. Catholics say "You got it wrong!!!! Mary was not a sinner....

For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;...Catholics say "Wrong!!!! Yo forgot the priest and Mary!!!!"

I could go on...and on...
Regina

Toms River, NJ

#533213 Apr 29, 2014
Is Sola Scriptura in the Bible? A Reply to R.C. Sproul Jr.

Sproul begins his essay with the following paragraph:

No, and yes. The Bible does not have specific text that suggests that the Bible alone is our final authority in all matters of faith and practice. Those who delight to point this out, however, typically Roman Catholics and the eastern Orthodox, typically miss the point. First, their energies more often than not are aimed at the Anabaptist error that we call solo Scriptura. Here the person affirms that all he needs is himself and his Bible. The wisdom of the church in history, the community of believers, are all deemed irrelevant to understanding the things of God. Solo scriptura is reprehensible and ignorant and a-historical.

Here Sproul first acknowledges that the Bible does not have a text that suggests that it alone is our final authority. Then he claims that Catholics and Orthodox who point this out are missing the point, because they are aiming their energies at solo scriptura. However, if the point of the Catholics and Orthodox who state this is straightforwardly to point out that the Bible does not have a text that suggests that it alone is our final authority, then these Catholics and Orthodox are not “missing the point,” but in fact making a true claim, one that Sproul himself acknowledges. We agree with Sproul that solo scriptura is “reprehensible.” But if, as Neal Judisch and I have recently argued here, there is no principled difference between solo scriptura and sola scriptura, then the fact that the Bible does not have a passage that suggests that the Bible alone is our final authority, is deeply problematic for those who claim that the Bible alone is our final authority.
http://www.calledtocommunion.com/2009/11/is-s...

Prince George, Canada

#533214 Apr 29, 2014
I suggest if the shoe was on the other foot and Kimberly had wanted Scott to leave the Protestant religion, he would have had nothing to do with it whatsoever.

He strikes me as having no feelings for her pain at all. It's all about him ... period!
>>>>>>> >>>>>

After Mass someone grabbed a camera and asked for a picture of everyone with Scott. I tried to step out of the group, but Scott insisted I be in the picture, too. I thought, why do I want to memorialize the worst night of my life? Though all of Scott’s friends were very kind to me at the party afterward, it was excruciating to see the delight of all for him when our marriage was in the midst of the greatest challenge we ever had.
Regina

Toms River, NJ

#533215 Apr 29, 2014
marge wrote:
<quoted text>
Where did you get that from Regina?, the link does not work.
I don't know, you'll have to ask the person who wrote it. Doesn't sound like a threat to me, merely an acknowledgement that extensive correction needs to be made. After all, Protestantism is heresy, and no matter how "nice" and "good hearted" one may be, there is such a thing as objective truth. It is *not* all good. If that's the case, then Christ wasted His time teaching that there is only ONE truth. Christianity is not a heart-warming novel or a sentimental movie.

Prince George, Canada

#533216 Apr 29, 2014
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
I could go on...and on...
And I'll cast bets that you will.

Preachers of religion LOVE to tell the story from the perspective of the supposed gods that they profess to worship.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 11 min Buck Crick 56,181
>>>> U.S. Court and F.D.A. approve dangerous ch... 13 min DamNation 1
Bring back thd human sexuality forum? 38 min Shanti 34
topix drops human sexuality forum.......this be... 42 min Shanti 41
avandia 2014 (Jan '14) 57 min Richard Tzell 384
does any kids want to be completely naked for 2... 2 hr Susan 2
Israel End is Near (Feb '15) 3 hr Steve III 446
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 4 hr bad bob 182,967
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 7 hr Hangman 971,867
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 16 hr ChristineM 445,930