Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 654713 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

LTM

Sudbury, Canada

#531672 Apr 24, 2014
cont
EL and ELOHIM: The word El is used for God about 238 times while Elohim is used about 2,600 times. In the Bible Elohim has two distinct meanings. First it is a plural form (-im and -ot are the standard Hebrew plural endings) of the word "god" in the Hebrew and the Canaanite languages which is rendered "el" in the singular (when the word "el" is used for the One True God it is always capitalized = "El"). An example of the first meaning used in the plural form can be found in Deuteronomy 5:7: You shall have not other false gods [elohim] before me. But the most common use of Elohim is its second distinct meaning when it is used as a personal name for God or when referring to God as the true God among false gods. Thus it is used in Genesis 1:1: In the beginning Elohim created the heavens and the earth ..., and also in Joshua 24:19: You cannot worship Yahweh for He is a holy god [elohim].... There is no explanation why the plural form is used for the One True God (as it is in Genesis 1:1). However, scholars from the times of the Fathers of the Church have suggested that the plural form suggests the mystery of the Trinity which was hidden in the Old Testament to be revealed in the New.
YHWH: The four Hebrew consonants that comprise YHWH are given in Scripture as God's holy Covenant name, and it is this form of His name that is the most frequently used in the Bible (about 6,800 times). These four Hebrew characters, YHWH = yad, hay, vav (v in Hebrew can also be rendered w in English), and hay have been called the "Tetragrammaton" or "tetragram", meaning "the four letter word." Biblical scholars do not know how YHWH was originally pronounced because its original pronunciation, which was part of the sacred Oral Tradition of the Jews, was lost when the Temple in Jerusalem was destroyed in 70AD. Throughout history, God's Old Covenant people treated God's name with great reverence, declaring it too holy to be spoken aloud. Speaking God's divine covenant name was restricted to the priests worshipping in God's Temple in Jerusalem, and so with the destruction of the Temple His holy covenant name was no longer spoken and the correct pronunciation of the name was lost. The rendering of YHWH as "Yahweh" is a modern conjecture (first suggested in the 16th century by biblical scholar Gilbert Genebrard, professor of Hebrew at the College Royal in Paris) but which has been accepted by biblical scholars today as the most likely rendering. You will find this rendering in the Catholic New Jerusalem Bible translation. In other translations, following what became the Jewish custom, YHWH is rendered as LORD (for example in the Catholic Revised Standard and New American Bible translations as well as in most Protestant Bible translations). This became a custom from the time of the 3rd century BC when the ancient Jewish scholars translated the Hebrew Bible (Old Testament) into the Greek translation known as the Septuagint. They replaced the Sacred Name YHWH with "ho Kyrios" or "the Lord." In the modern Jewish Tanach YHWH is rendered as Hashem (or ha-Shem, meaning in Hebrew, "the name") or as
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#531673 Apr 24, 2014
Chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
If He is doesn't say anything about confession, how did you fall for it?
Because my bible also contains more of Jesus's teachings which are recorded by the apostles outside of the 4 gospels, which EXPLICITLY say we are to confess ours sins, i., e., confession.

If your forerunner Luther had had his way, your bible would've been without St. James' writing, and therefore would've had a point, at least from your perspective. As it stands, unless you have one without James, you can either accept your bible as the written Word of God, or you can play paper pope by picking and choosing what to accept. Wouldn't surprise me you chose the latter.

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#531674 Apr 24, 2014
LTM wrote:
misreading or mispronunciation.
Names for God found in Sacred Scripture
thanks LTM, I knew that you had posted these many names for Our Father and Lord. I posted His name in Hebrew as He spoke it to Moses, and Kay gave it in English. of course tony was off the wall like usual. I had to snip since there were to many characters ingvolved

“TRAIL OF TEARS”

Since: Dec 13

CHEROKEE NATION, USA

#531675 Apr 24, 2014
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
OH I don't mean to imply that you hate those that you believe will end up in hell. That wouldn't be Christian-like at all. You just pity those that are you are certain will end up in hell, because you believe that they won't be saved as you believe you are saved.
PUKE!!!
How come you can't tolerate someone that believes different than you? I told you earlier that I would never speak to you in a vile way, but you've already decided you hate me apparently. I don't understand.
LTM

Sudbury, Canada

#531676 Apr 24, 2014
cont

YHWH is rendered as Hashem (or ha-Shem, meaning in Hebrew, "the name") or as Adoshem, which is a contraction of Adonai and ha-Shem.

But what does the Tetragrammaton YHWH mean? Biblical scholars have been arguing about the meaning of YHWH for centuries. Since biblical names generally have a discernible meaning, scholars have believed that YHWH can be reasonably translated. Based on etymology and context most scholars have agreed that YHWH is an archaic form of the verb "to be" (in Hebrew hawah) and should be translated "I am who I am or I will be who I will be." This meaning contextually fits the passages in Exodus 3:13-15a: Moses then said to God [Elohim],'Look, if I go to the Israelites and say to me, "What is his name?" what am I to tell them?' God [Elohim] said to Moses,'I am [YHWH] he who is.' And he said,'This is what you are to say to the Israelites I am [YHWH] has sent me to you...', which agrees with Exodus 3:6: I am the God of your ancestors ..., and Jesus' "I AM" statements in the fourth Gospel i.e.: In all truth I tell you, before Abraham ever was, I AM (John 8:58).

JEHOVAH: The Biblical reference to God as Yehova (Jehova), spelled out with Hebrew characters, first appeared in c. 800AD. At that time Jewish scholars (called the Masorites) translated the Greek translation of the (Old Testament) Bible back into Hebrew and added vowel points to the Hebrew language, which had originally only been written with consonants. Since that time, Hebrew Bible manuscripts have inserted the vowels from the Hebrew word "Adonai" (Lord) within the Tetragrammaton ("the four letters), YHWH, as a reminder that readers should say "Adonai" instead of the sacred name which Jews believe must not be spoken. The pronunciation of "Jehovah" was unknown until 1520 AD when a biblical scholar named Galatians introduced it. This pronunciation was contested by other scholars as being against grammatical and historical propriety. However, when Protestant scholars began their vernacular translations (into their common languages) of the Old Testament using the Jewish Masoretic translations, they also mixed the four consonants of YHWH (JHWH in German) with the vowels of Adonai in the mistaken belief that this was the correct pronunciation of the Sacred Name, and from then on, YHWH appeared in Protestant Biblical texts as "Jehovah". This rendering is most frequently used in the King James Version translations as in, Let them be put to shame, and perish: That men may know that thou, whose name alone is Jehovah, art the most high over all the earth (Psalms 83:18). Modern scholars do not recognize this form as a legitimate name for the Hebrew God and dismiss it as a misreading or mispronunciation.

Since: Sep 09

Prince George, Canada

#531677 Apr 24, 2014
--SPOONER-- wrote:
<quoted text>
How come you can't tolerate someone that believes different than you? I told you earlier that I would never speak to you in a vile way, but you've already decided you hate me apparently. I don't understand.
I don't hate anyone. I just don't respect religious dogmas.

If you want praise, I suggest you hang out with your non-denominational Christians. They will praise you for believing the same as they believe.

That's the way religion works its magic.
LTM

Sudbury, Canada

#531678 Apr 24, 2014
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Because my bible also contains more of Jesus's teachings which are recorded by the apostles outside of the 4 gospels, which EXPLICITLY say we are to confess ours sins, i., e., confession.
If your forerunner Luther had had his way, your bible would've been without St. James' writing, and therefore would've had a point, at least from your perspective. As it stands, unless you have one without James, you can either accept your bible as the written Word of God, or you can play paper pope by picking and choosing what to accept. Wouldn't surprise me you chose the latter.
Anthony you better go read up on what you are posting on here.
It was your church fathers who TOOK VOTES WHAT WAS TO BE IN THE BIBLE AND WHAT SHOULD BE TOSSED OUT, AT FIRST THEY DID THROW OUT THE BOOK OF JAMES BUT PUT IT BACK.
LUTHER'S REFORM WAS TO GO AGAINST THE LAIRS;;; "YOUR CHURCH FATHERS,"
WHO WAS CHANGING THE SCRIPTURES TO SUIT THEIR EVIL LIFE STYLES.
marge

Leesburg, GA

#531679 Apr 24, 2014
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
I told you, He doesn't say confession.
St. James says it.
Next question.
Why do you refuse to do what St. James says.
We confess our sins to one another.
Truth

Leesburg, VA

#531680 Apr 24, 2014
"If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven them; if you retain the sins of any, they are retained."

Who is speaking???

Jesus.

Who is Jesus speaking to???

Ten of the twelve apostles.

There is NO indication that this applies to anyone else.

Jesus said, "he was sending them."

Jesus was talking to these men (apostles) in regards to their future duties as His apostles.

They (apostles) could NOT decide on their own what was sinful and what was not.

BUT, they (apostles) had the authority to declare Christ’s law (Law of Christ) and it would be binding on others.

Prince George, Canada

#531681 Apr 24, 2014
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no question in my mind that Catholics were the original Christians. However killing all others who disagrees with their dogmas was their religion, and I don't believe that is anything of which to brag or be proud.

And to claim that Jesus wanted the Jews slayed was a nasty format on which to build their earthly EMPIRE. And the Protestants were no different. They were all arrogant fools.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>

A History of Religious Ideas, by Mircea Eliade.

Luther’s theology

In a letter of June 1522, Martin Luther wrote:“I do not admit that my doctrine can be judged by anyone, even by the angels. One who does not receive my doctrine cannot come to salvation.”

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#531682 Apr 24, 2014
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Would you rather aborted fetuses were used for stem-cell research???
I suggest that you believe aborted fetuses from Muslims are only worthy of being burned, as being a Christian, you are quite certain they won't be in heaven with you and hell is the only other option ... RIGHT holier-than-thou ROBERT???
Hypocrites.
June

Peace

Of course you won't like my solution. Right?

Well I think aborted babies should be buried, interred, or cremated.

It is rather, the same thing now, that hiding problems, like large numbers of abortions, and the facts of wars(esp. here in the U.S.) are the standard.

If all the aborted babies were buried, then the problem would soon be seen! But that is for hypocrites to burn them for electricity.(A standard practice in Canada, I see.) It is fortunate that someone has called Canada to some kind of morality....

Peace

Since: Sep 13

Location hidden

#531683 Apr 24, 2014
Protestants worship a Catholic book. How crazy is that?

A book......

Prince George, Canada

#531684 Apr 24, 2014
Truth wrote:
"If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven them; if you retain the sins of any, they are retained."
Who is speaking???
Jesus.
Who is Jesus speaking to???
Ten of the twelve apostles.
There is NO indication that this applies to anyone else.
Jesus said, "he was sending them."
Jesus was talking to these men (apostles) in regards to their future duties as His apostles.
They (apostles) could NOT decide on their own what was sinful and what was not.
BUT, they (apostles) had the authority to declare Christ’s law (Law of Christ) and it would be binding on others.
The Catholic compiled all the junk about Jesus leaving Judaism and choosing to be baptized by John the Catholic.

If you cared enough you would spot the lie told by the Catholic church fathers that Jesus STARTED a new religion. According to the Catholic theology the religion was already up and running when Jesus was baptized BY John.

Junkology
LTM

Sudbury, Canada

#531685 Apr 24, 2014
atemcowboy wrote:
<quoted text>thanks LTM, I knew that you had posted these many names for Our Father and Lord. I posted His name in Hebrew as He spoke it to Moses, and Kay gave it in English. of course tony was off the wall like usual. I had to snip since there were to many characters ingvolved
Preston, your welcome. people on here read the same scriptures I do, when I post straight from scripture never used any of my own words, I am called a lair.
Don't they realize they are actually calling Gods word a lie.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#531686 Apr 24, 2014
Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>
I've heard it before, dummy.
It's your standard response when I make a fool of you.
'Member?
Go hiss under your favorite rock...snake

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#531687 Apr 24, 2014
June VanDerMark wrote:
Christians didn't believe in burning the bodies of fetuses after they were aborted. Perish the thought!!! They did however believe in burning adults alive at the stake as being offenders of their dogmas.
Horrible creatures.
June

Christians are not sociopaths, although some sociopaths call themselves Christians.

You have difficulty in perceiving this....You have a great fear of becoming a Christian....

Prince George, Canada

#531688 Apr 24, 2014
Robert F wrote:
<quoted text>
June
Peace
Of course you won't like my solution. Right?
Well I think aborted babies should be buried, interred, or cremated.
I think they should be used for stem-cell research. That way their demises could be used to save lives of those on earth.

It would nice if religion would be used to save lives on earth instead of burning live bodies as being evil fodder of the devils.

Crazy people.

Prince George, Canada

#531689 Apr 24, 2014
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
Go hiss under your favorite rock...snake
You tell him ... servant of Jesus!!!

:)
Truth

Leesburg, VA

#531690 Apr 24, 2014
Does man have the power to forgive sins COMMITTED against God???

Isaiah 43:25

25 “I, even I, am he who blots out
your transgressions, for my own sake,
and remembers your sins no more.

Answer: NO!!!

WHY???

Forgiveness......belongs to WHO???

GOD!!!

WHY???

Forgiveness is the removal of a debt owed.

God/Jesus BORE the brunt of our sins.(JESUS BORE IT ALL!!!)

Daniel 9:9

9 The Lord our God is merciful and forgiving, even though we have rebelled against him;

Micah 7:18

18 Who is a God like you,
who pardons sin and forgives the transgression
of the remnant of his inheritance?
You do not stay angry forever
but delight to show mercy.
LTM

Sudbury, Canada

#531691 Apr 24, 2014
LTM wrote:
cont
•Yahweh–nissi = "Yahweh My Banner":(after willing a battle with God's assistance ) Moses built an altar, and named it Yahweh is My Banner [Yahweh-nissi]...(Exodus 17:16).
•Yahweh-mekoddishkem = "Yahweh Who Sanctifies You": And Yahweh spoke to Moses, saying,'But as for you, speak to the sons of Israel, saying, "You shall surely observe My Sabbaths; for this is a sign between Me and you throughout your generations, that you may know that I am Yahweh who sanctifies you [Yahweh-mekoddishkem]...(Exodu s 31:12).
•Yahweh-shalom = "Yahweh is Peace": He said,'Alas, my Lord, Yahweh! Now I have seen the Angel of Yahweh face to face ' Yahweh answered,'Peace be with you; have no fear; you will not die.' Gideon built an altar there to Yahweh and called it Yahweh is peace [Yahweh-shalom](Judges 6:22-24).
•Yahweh-sabaoth = "Yahweh of Hosts" (the "hosts" are the army of angels who serve God): Who is He, this king of glory? Yahweh of Hosts [Yahweh-saboath], He is the king of glory (Psalm 46:7, NJB); The LORD of Hosts [Yahweh-sabaoth] is with us; the God of Jacob is our stronghold (Psalms 22:10, NAB).
•Yahweh-raah = "Yahweh My Shepherd": The LORD [Yahweh raah] is my shepherd; I shall not want ...(Psalms 23:1, NAB).
•Yahweh-tsidkenu = "Yahweh Our Saving Justice": Look, the days are coming, Yahweh declares, when I shall rise an upright Branch for David; He will reign as king and be wise, doing what is just and upright in the country. In his days Judah will triumph and Israel live in safety, and this is the name He will be called Yahweh-our-saving-justice [Yahweh-tsidkenu](Jeremiah 23:5-6).
cont
Some people don't really like the truth, fine God will let you believe a lie if you want to.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 1 min Buck Crick 65,198
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 11 min Pegasus 281,988
Play "end of the word" part 2 (Dec '15) 27 min ImFree2Choose 2,614
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 1 hr MUQ2 45,319
Israel End is Near (Feb '15) 1 hr MUQ2 523
Things poping up while i was sitting on my dads... (Jun '11) 1 hr kanji23 71
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 1 hr Gabriel 974,093
first gay experience? (Sep '14) 2 hr j4snowyfox69 47
Queen Cleopatra was clearly Black. White people... (Aug '10) 3 hr T rules 863
More from around the web