Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 688650 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

June VanDerMark

Since: Sep 09

Prince George, Canada

#531177 Apr 23, 2014
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
The difference between me and you is that I don't and won't say you protestants aren't saved. But all of you protestants says us Catholics aren't saved.
Then you are not true to your Catholic religion.

Why do you think that pope Leo Xth wanted Martin Luther to be put to death as a heretic???
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >

Athanasian Creed
1. Whosoever will be saved, before all things it is necessary that he hold the catholic faith
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >

Brewer’s Dictionary of Phrase & Fable by Ivor H. Evans … First published 1817.

Unam sanctam (Lat., One holy). The opening words of Boniface VIII’s BULL of 1302 declaring that there was “One holy Catholic and Apostolic Church”, membership of which was necessary for salvation.
truth

Australia

#531178 Apr 23, 2014
political medicine = old and new way of manipulation

politicians are great manipulators
any doctors of them very easy going accuse ordinary person
what a about them

in case of organizations its not exist
you judging them to them
Chuck

Dublin, OH

#531179 Apr 23, 2014
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
I know you (and every other protestant here) has seen the question, but not one of you has ever answered.
The difference between me and you is that I don't and won't say you protestants aren't saved. But all of you protestants says us Catholics aren't saved.
Since you claim to be saved and insist that I am not, why kind of Christian are you that you would refuse to tell me how to get saved?
Acts 16:31“Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved

Romans 1:16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God that brings salvation to everyone who believes

Romans 10:9 because, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. 10 For with the heart one believes and is justified, and with the mouth one confesses and is saved.

***"Believe" in these passages means FAITH and you have been told many times a 3 month old child cannot believe in Christ but because you have been indoctrinated since day one, you are blind to this.

**I have given you passages from God's Word about how to be saved. Your way is not biblical so that is why some may say catholics aren't saved. Did this help??
June VanDerMark

Prince George, Canada

#531180 Apr 23, 2014
Gods R Delusions x Mine wrote:
<quoted text>
Without the threat of Hell, imagine the crime rate among the delusional ones!
Maybe there is some good to be found in the delusional gods?
As Judge Mathis says ... "There are as many crooks in churches as there are in bars."

Religion doesn't cure anything.

Those in religion just beg forgiveness from their supposed saviors and hope for salvation in a supposed hereafter.

On the other hand, I believe that if I treat my neighbors fair and square each moment, my conscience will be clear and I will sleep well at night.

If I do slip up and cause my neighbor harm, it is up to me to go directly TO my neighbor and beg his/her forgiveness. If that person chooses to not forgive, I can't help the situation any further, and I carry on in the next moment to try to do my best.

That is my philosophy, and it gives me peace within. No religion allowed.
Gods R Delusions x Mine

Orlando, FL

#531181 Apr 23, 2014
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
The Church at Rome is in the bible. The Churches at Moscow, Constantinople, Kiev, etc. are not.
I love it. The fantasy of unity is still bandied about by top theologians as if there were some widespread ecumentical spirit.

Try this. The Roman Catholic and Orthodox Church are both the Original Church. They were one until 1054, when they separated. An original, unified church no longer exists.

BOTH have some claim to holding true to tradition. It depends in which culture you were born as to which sect is accepted as the "original."

Ramen
June VanDerMark

Prince George, Canada

#531182 Apr 23, 2014
Chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
I say you are not saved because of the way you told me your were saved.
How do you know who is saved and who will go to hell unless you are certain that you are "the" creator???

Would it be because you are able to read human-created words into which you injected your own meanings???
>>>>>>> >>>>>>>

The Use and Misuse of Language … edited by S. I. Hayakawa.

General semanticists know it is hard to make the average person realize that he brings meaning to the word, that the word does not contain any meaning.
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#531183 Apr 23, 2014
Chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
I say you are not saved because of the way you told me your were saved. No 3 month old child is saved at baptism on the faith of their parents.
This is not biblical and the catholic argument is just because it's not biblical doesn't make it false. Really??? That's your argument????
Never said I got "saved" as a 3 month old. I've always said I was baptized as a 4 week old infant. Although the bible DOES say baptism saves and that it's necessary for salvation, you seem to rather play scripture scrabble and show me passages which you think contradict those verses.

Again, since you say I'm not saved based on what you think I've said, why don't you be a hero and tell me what I must do to be saved? All of your protestants friends have chickened out...
June VanDerMark

Prince George, Canada

#531184 Apr 23, 2014
The word fear of God could mean {{{fear}}} as in FRIGHT ... or it could mean fear as to stand in awe of.

Words don't have specific meanings. And that is what makes them so tricky and so dangerous to USE.

The word "heretic" once meant "able to choose." And we all know what men did with that word as for centuries they killed each other in the name of a god.

I learned from childhood to never trust words in any of those supposed holy books.

It never has been and it is NOT a good policy. The brutal history of how people USED their religions proves that that is true.
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#531185 Apr 23, 2014
Chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
Acts 16:31“Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved
Romans 1:16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God that brings salvation to everyone who believes
Romans 10:9 because, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. 10 For with the heart one believes and is justified, and with the mouth one confesses and is saved.
***"Believe" in these passages means FAITH and you have been told many times a 3 month old child cannot believe in Christ but because you have been indoctrinated since day one, you are blind to this.
**I have given you passages from God's Word about how to be saved. Your way is not biblical so that is why some may say catholics aren't saved. Did this help??
I believe in my heart and have professed everything these passages say. What else do you got?
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#531186 Apr 23, 2014
Gods R Delusions x Mine wrote:
<quoted text>
I love it. The fantasy of unity is still bandied about by top theologians as if there were some widespread ecumentical spirit.
Try this. The Roman Catholic and Orthodox Church are both the Original Church. They were one until 1054, when they separated. An original, unified church no longer exists.
BOTH have some claim to holding true to tradition. It depends in which culture you were born as to which sect is accepted as the "original."
Ramen
Quite right delusions. You did imply that the Catholic Church broke from the Orhodox. We say it's the opposite. Where else do we disagree?

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#531187 Apr 23, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
If God knows you will do something, can you do otherwise?
If the future is knowable (rather than merely predictable, which can be error-prone), then necessarily fate exists. If fate exists, then obviously free will cannot.
If God is both omnipotent and omniscient then God not only knows the future as a fact, but it also is the one who determined fate. But on the other hand the Bible does not describe God as either omnipotent or omniscient. Where many Christians get the idea that God is either I don't understand.
wilderide

Peace

I am confused by your post. I am not sure if you are questioning God's inerrancy, or a human's free-will, or both. So let me simplify, by stating that God is perfect. So God does not err.

You infer that God has erred in giving mankind free-will, or God has not given mankind free-will.

Free-will is more than an intellectual decision. However, humans do err, and in so doing, postulate or imagine realties that do not exist. And among these are fate. Fate is a false sense of past, present, and future connections. It is something like your "handle", credulity is not an excuse....Fate is a scenario of credulity.

You are correct in saying that either free-will exists, or fate exists. The essential point is that one is real, and the other is not. I fall into the group that says free-will exists.

Peace

“The Black Mermaid”

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#531188 Apr 23, 2014
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
If they weren't so terrified of Christian hell, they might learn to ask questions of their dogmas.
The ironic issue is, they don't believe that other hells in other religions exist ... so it is their own supposed hell that scares the be-jeepers out of them.
The idea that one's own religion should frighten one out of one's wits seems to satisfy them rather than make them leave it behind where they will in turn be able to find peace within.
June, personal note here - My husband and I have to go into Assisted Living. We're now both very handicapped (as in, can barely walk). It may not take place right away, but it shouldn't be all that long either. We're moving closer to my son. We put our house on the market yesterday. I'll be in touch via computer, of course. I love your posts, they're always sensible. Talk to you soon.
Chuck

Dublin, OH

#531189 Apr 23, 2014
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Never said I got "saved" as a 3 month old. I've always said I was baptized as a 4 week old infant. Although the bible DOES say baptism saves and that it's necessary for salvation, you seem to rather play scripture scrabble and show me passages which you think contradict those verses.
Again, since you say I'm not saved based on what you think I've said, why don't you be a hero and tell me what I must do to be saved? All of your protestants friends have chickened out...
Did your salvation process start when you were baptized at 3 months old....yes. This is not biblical.

I don't have to tell you, I gave you passages from God Word. So no need to ask anymore.

BTW...Christ saves not water but that's for a different discussion.

and you can't contradict passages about infant baptism...there are none... thanks
Chuck

Dublin, OH

#531190 Apr 23, 2014
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe in my heart and have professed everything these passages say. What else do you got?
You said baptism saves you and now you say you have professed everything in the passages...which is it Tony?

You are a confused little catholic. You look at salvation like going to Chicago. There are a few different ways to get there.

Your salvation process started at 3 months old at baptism so why would you have to confess anything for salvation????

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#531191 Apr 23, 2014
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
The truth...per Scripture..

IV. Salvation

Salvation involves the redemption of the whole man, and is offered freely to all who accept Jesus Christ as Lord and Saviour, who by His own blood obtained eternal redemption for the believer. In its broadest sense salvation includes regeneration, justification, sanctification, and glorification. There is no salvation apart from personal faith in Jesus Christ as Lord.

A. Regeneration, or the new birth, is a work of God's grace whereby believers become new creatures in Christ Jesus. It is a change of heart wrought by the Holy Spirit through conviction of sin, to which the sinner responds in repentance toward God and faith in the Lord Jesus Christ. Repentance and faith are inseparable experiences of grace.

Repentance is a genuine turning from sin toward God. Faith is the acceptance of Jesus Christ and commitment of the entire personality to Him as Lord and Saviour.

B. Justification is God's gracious and full acquittal upon principles of His righteousness of all sinners who repent and believe in Christ. Justification brings the believer unto a relationship of peace and favor with God.

C. Sanctification is the experience, beginning in regeneration, by which the believer is set apart to God's purposes, and is enabled to progress toward moral and spiritual maturity through the presence and power of the Holy Spirit dwelling in him. Growth in grace should continue throughout the regenerate person's life.

D. Glorification is the culmination of salvation and is the final blessed and abiding state of the redeemed.

Genesis 3:15; Exodus 3:14-17; 6:2-8; Matthew 1:21; 4:17; 16:21-26; 27:22-28:6; Luke 1:68-69; 2:28-32; John 1:11-14,29; 3:3-21,36; 5:24; 10:9,28-29; 15:1-16; 17:17; Acts 2:21; 4:12; 15:11; 16:30-31; 17:30-31; 20:32; Romans 1:16-18; 2:4; 3:23-25; 4:3ff.; 5:8-10; 6:1-23; 8:1-18,29-39; 10:9-10,13; 13:11-14; 1 Corinthians 1:18,30; 6:19-20; 15:10; 2 Corinthians 5:17-20; Galatians 2:20; 3:13; 5:22-25; 6:15; Ephesians 1:7; 2:8-22; 4:11-16; Philippians 2:12-13; Colossians 1:9-22; 3:1ff.; 1 Thessalonians 5:23-24; 2 Timothy 1:12; Titus 2:11-14; Hebrews 2:1-3; 5:8-9; 9:24-28; 11:1-12:8,14; James 2:14-26; 1 Peter 1:2-23; 1 John 1:6-2:11; Revelation 3:20; 21:1-22:5.

If, per your misunderstanding, see Scripture that contradicts this teaching, you fave a fallible Bible..
June VanDerMark

Prince George, Canada

#531192 Apr 23, 2014
Sherlayne wrote:
<quoted text>
June, personal note here - My husband and I have to go into Assisted Living. We're now both very handicapped (as in, can barely walk). It may not take place right away, but it shouldn't be all that long either. We're moving closer to my son. We put our house on the market yesterday. I'll be in touch via computer, of course. I love your posts, they're always sensible. Talk to you soon.
Thank you Sherlayne, and I wish you and your husband all the best.
June VanDerMark

Prince George, Canada

#531193 Apr 23, 2014
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
The truth...per Scripture..
IV. Salvation
All theologians in all religions taught and teach "truth of salvation per scripture."

Your "specific" Christian arrogance is NOTED!

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#531194 Apr 23, 2014
confrinting with the word wrote:
<quoted text>
~~~
THE OLD TESTAMENT SAYS THAT THE JEWS WILL ULTIMATELY BELIEVE...IN JESUS.
Zec 12:8 In that day shall the LORD defend the inhabitants of Jerusalem; and he that is feeble among them at that day shall be as David; and the house of David shall be as God, as the angel of the LORD before them.
Zec 12:9 And it shall come to pass in that day, that I will seek to destroy all the nations that come against Jerusalem.
Zec 12:10 And I will pour upon the house of David, and upon the inhabitants of Jerusalem, the spirit of grace and of supplications: and
-->they shall look upon me whom they have pierced, and
they shall mourn for him, as one mourneth for his only son, and
shall be in bitterness for him, as one that is in bitterness for his firstborn. <--
confronting

Peace

I would like to agree with you, but Jesus was not accepted by the "Jews" in his day, and up until now....The question is then, who is the True Jew, and who is not?

I daresay, that I cannot see the State of Israel saying that Jesus is the Messiah, even if he performs miracles for them.(As done in the O.T.!) It is equivalent of saying would others in power would be willing to give up their power, for Jesus Christ?(We get a lot of lip service in this area.)smiles.

I think the deeper point is that Abraham is the father of faith. And that some Jews, and others accept faith in God as the center and foundation of their relationship with God.

Paul writes it best in Gal 3:28,29 " there is not here Jew or Greek, there is not here servant nor freeman, there is not here male and female, for all ye are one in Christ Jesus;and if ye are of Christ then of Abraham ye are seed, and according to promise -- heirs."

Christians just see the fulfillment of God's Promise in Jesus Christ, the Jew does not, but both share in faith in God.

Peace
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#531195 Apr 23, 2014
Chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
Did your salvation process start when you were baptized at 3 months old....yes. This is not biblical.
I don't have to tell you, I gave you passages from God Word. So no need to ask anymore.
BTW...Christ saves not water but that's for a different discussion.
and you can't contradict passages about infant baptism...there are none... thanks
I believe and have professed exactly as the passages you quoted. Is that not enough?

Chuck, let's assume for the sake of argument that you were born into a protestant family and they believed baptism didn't do anything. At 3 months old were you saved? Would you have gone straight to heaven if you had died? Where does the bible say this?

Let's say I was baptized at 4 weeks and then died. Would I have gone to hell?

I can assure you that our Christian formation as children and young adults is very similar as it pertains to professing our faith and asking Christ into our lives. As a 7 year old I believed in my heart and professed with my lips salvation through Christ as per Romans 10:9. I have never doubted it since.

Can you tell me how I'm not saved even though I've done everything exactly as you quoted from the bible?
June VanDerMark

Prince George, Canada

#531196 Apr 23, 2014
Robert F wrote:
<quoted text>
You are correct in saying that either free-will exists, or fate exists. The essential point is that one is real, and the other is not. I fall into the group that says free-will exists.
If a god chose to create you, you never had free will.

If a god chose to create Adam and Eve, they also never had free will.

If a god chose to make rules for you to follow, you never had free will.

If a god rejects you to hell for not following his rules, you never had free will.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 2 min ROCCO 36,724
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 39 min quiveringanusredn... 988,433
Does anyone else hate being around white women? 1 hr hmmmm 25
Main causes of bullying 1 hr Wise above all 3
How did black people get here ( economically) 3 hr Johnny 70
God is REAL - Miracles Happen! (Jun '11) 4 hr Wisdom of Ages 6,545
Dental Visits Are Never Fun 4 hr may i suggest 6
More from around the web