Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 688394 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

LTM

Sudbury, Canada

#531053 Apr 22, 2014
After Jesus rose from the dead, He told Mary to stop clinging to Him, but then told Thomas to touch His hands. Why the difference?
After Jesus' crucifixion, Mary Magdalene went to the tomb to finish preparing His body. When she arrived, the stone had been rolled away and Jesus' body was gone. She asked Simon Peter and the Apostle John to confirm what she saw, but while they ran to tell the other disciples, she stayed at the tomb, distraught, because her Savior was missing.

Jesus cleared up her confusion by appearing to her. His appearance was a far cry from the bloodied, beaten shell that Joseph of Arimathea and Nicodemus had laid in the tomb. His body was healed, save for the holes in his hands, feet, and side; and more importantly He was alive. Understandably, Mary didn't recognize Him at first. Jesus called her name, and she realized who He was. Her response was immediate and so emotional that Jesus said to her "Do not cling to me…" (John 19:38—20:18).

Shortly after, Jesus appeared to the disciples, but Thomas was absent. Despite firsthand accounts from the other disciples, Thomas remained convinced that Jesus was dead and they were all deluded. "Unless I see in his hands the mark of the nails, and place my finger into the mark of the nails, and place my hand into his side, I will never believe," he said (John 20:25).

Eight days later, Jesus accommodated his doubt by appearing to Thomas in the presence of the other disciples. "Put your finger here, and see my hands," He said to Thomas. "And put out your hand and place it in my side. Do not disbelieve, but believe." (See John 20:27).

Why the difference? Why did Jesus tell Mary to stop touching Him, then turn around and invite Thomas to touch Him?

The answer is alluded to in John 20:17. "Jesus said to her,'Do not cling to me, for I have not yet ascended to the Father; but go to my brothers and say to them, "I am ascending to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God."'" Mary apparently wasn't just hugging Jesus as a friend or touching Him to convince herself He was real. She was clinging to Him, with all her might, to keep Him from ever leaving her again. It was a desperate act, meant to control Him and keep herself from being hurt again.

Jesus gives her a reason as to why she can't keep Him with her—He has to ascend to the Father. He cannot stay on earth as He had before. He has a job to do, and as much as He obviously cares for her, He cannot indulge her feelings of fear. In fact, He already addressed the issue of her fear in John 14:16-17 when He announced that when He left, He would send the Counselor to be with her, and all His followers, forever.

Thomas' situation was completely different. Jesus' invitation to touch Him was more reprimand than comfort. If Thomas couldn't accept the eye-witness testimony of his fellow disciples—testimony that finally illuminated all of Jesus' subtle warnings about His crucifixion and resurrection—then Jesus would indulge him by offering the hands, feet, and side that still bore the wounds from the cross.

There's no indication that Thomas took Him up on the offer. Instead, he immediately exclaimed, "My Lord and my God!" (John 20:28).

Mary and Thomas had to learn the same lesson modern Christians face—how do we trust a Jesus we can't see? How do we trust He really is alive and won't leave us? We have faith. We trust the accounts of the disciples. And because of that, we understand His power and presence in a way they never did. As Jesus said to Thomas, "Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed" (John 20:29).

The Truth
Michael

Canada

#531054 Apr 22, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly. And both groups fighting over a deity that judges you not for how moral a life you live, but for what you believe. And believe without proof no less.
,..Christians wouldn't give a damn about a Jesus , 12 apostles, John Baptist, Mary/Joseph if salvation was not in their belief. Its all about them, not about a god.
LTM

Sudbury, Canada

#531055 Apr 22, 2014
Is the Bible just mythology? How can I know?
There are many reasons we can know the Bible is more than mythology. First and foremost, many of the historical events recorded in the Bible are also documented elsewhere in history. This alone shows the Bible is based on historical events unlike the stories found in mythology.

Second, the Bible has stood the test of time and criticism. The Jewish people have faithfully copied the Old Testament manuscripts since the time of its original composition. The New Testament documents include nearly 6,000 manuscripts and fragments in Greek, some dated within less than a century of the original compositions. No other historical writing compares in both the quantity and quality of manuscripts available to compare for reliability in research.

Third, the Bible has been confirmed through many archaeological findings. Some sources note as many as 25,000 archaeological discoveries that affirm facts from the Bible! From ancient Jerusalem to accurate accounts of the Egyptian Pharaohs to the ancient records of Persia, Greece, and Rome, the Bible connects with an amazing array of discoveries across the Mediterranean world.

Fourth, the Bible was written as history. The Gospel writer Luke, for example, notes his writing was "an account of the things that have been fulfilled among us ... just as they were handed down to us by those who from the first were eyewitnesses." Luke claims that he had "carefully investigated everything from the beginning" and so wrote "an orderly account ... so that you may know the certainty of the things you have been taught" (Luke 1:1-4 NIV). Paul wrote of the many who had seen Jesus alive, claiming most of the eyewitnesses were still alive several years later when he wrote to the Corinthians (1 Corinthians 15:1-8).

Fifth, the Bible includes hundreds of prophecies that have already been fulfilled in history. The fulfillment of prophecies was so frequent and so accurate that the early Christians used the Old Testament writings to prove Jesus was the Christ when speaking to the Jews. For example, Apollos "powerfully refuted the Jews in public, showing by the Scriptures that the Christ was Jesus" (Acts 18:28).

Unlike mythology, the Bible claims to communicate real, historical events and can be verified through additional historical sources. In addition, its supernatural nature can be shown through its accurate fulfillments of prophecy, especially in the life of Jesus (Isaiah 53) that point toward a historically accurate book of a divine nature that has changed lives for 2,000 years.

://www.compellingtruth.org/Bib le-mythology
Michael

Canada

#531056 Apr 22, 2014
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
You know diddly...My first and second wives have since died....my current wife's husband has also died.....my marriage can be blessed...I can receive communion after confession...but that will never happen....
I am, definitely, a new creature: Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.
Repeat: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.
...He is baiting you into more arguments. Just ignore him. That annoys him more than anything.

....He is the mini-me-God for the Catholic posters.
Anthony MN

United States

#531057 Apr 22, 2014
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
You know diddly...My first and second wives have since died....my current wife's husband has also died.....my marriage can be blessed...I can receive communion after confession...but that will never happen....
I am, definitely, a new creature: Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.
Repeat: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.
Doesn't change a thing as you are completely and totally unrepentant. The pedophile ex-priest sitting in prison who has confessed and repented is in better shape than you. Old things (your first two wives) may have passed away, but your old and unrepentant sins remain. Sorry.
Anthony MN

United States

#531058 Apr 22, 2014
atemcowboy wrote:
<quoted text>that is what Jesus told for us to do but no verse in the Bible will indicate that God will forgive us that much.
if you quote a verse, try and make it relevant to the discussion, and Biblical accurate
One of Kay's and my favorites;

"If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness."

No mention of limits...because of course there is no limit to God's mercy.
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#531059 Apr 22, 2014
Michael wrote:
<quoted text>
..,He always talks smack about anyone not perfect like him. He is the mini me God.......of the catholic church.
Hey! You finally found a buddy...good thing too cause neither of you had any. Lol.
June VanDerMark

Since: Sep 09

Prince George, Canada

#531060 Apr 22, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Had the Bible been written clearly in a way that everyone could understand then that might be evidence for it being inspired by a deity with an interest in humans. As it is, the Bible is it's own worst witness.
"You" will NOT be easily conned (if conned at all) by any theology.

Asking questions leads those who question to ask yet more questions. And I suggest that there is no end to the questions that should be asked in all fields of human thought.
June VanDerMark

Prince George, Canada

#531061 Apr 22, 2014
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
So these are saved people, Jewish??, who turn from Christ in Sin. Or go back to the priests and laws...and are UNABLE to repent ?? Hardened hearts??
Those verses are confusing
Confusion concerning theology leads to asking more and more questions. And asking questions is what took me OUT of religion.

I realized that none of it made any sense.
June VanDerMark

Prince George, Canada

#531062 Apr 22, 2014
confrinting with the word wrote:
<quoted text>
~~~
THE OLD TESTAMENT SAYS THAT THE JEWS WILL ULTIMATELY BELIEVE...IN JESUS.
REALLY???

Stating that a savior is coming, is hardly stating that the savior's name is going to be Jesus.

It was the Catholics in the new testament that first used the word Jesus. >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>

CatholicCulture.Org

I.C.
Jesus -- first and last letters of his name in Greek, Ihcuc.

http://www.catholicculture.org/culture/librar ...

Since: Sep 13

Location hidden

#531063 Apr 22, 2014
Liam wrote:
<quoted text>Jesus didnt start a Book, he started a Church, and they are clear in their teachings on Scripture. These new protestants are just reading it the wrong way.
The Catholic Church does not require us to have blind faith, but faith + reason and logic.
So true. Only 10% of the world could read before the printing press I'm 1470.

How dumb of a God would we have to leave a book on charge.

A book. Think about that. Protesters worship a book. A Catholic book at that.
June VanDerMark

Prince George, Canada

#531065 Apr 22, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
The Bible is always clear to each believer who reads it. The problem is that none of them can agree with each other over what it obviously and clearly says.
I suggest that if the law allowed for their bad habits, Catholics and Protestants would still be killing each other as heretics.

In fact when they came to America there were no Catholics allowed, and the Protestants were killing each other over whose interpretation of scripture was truth and whose was lies.

Stupid is not easy to overcome.
June VanDerMark

Prince George, Canada

#531066 Apr 22, 2014
Mike_Peterson wrote:
<quoted text>
So you will be a protester the rest of your life?
Good one! They protest that anyone could know truth ... other than the SELF!

Arrogance gone to seed!
June VanDerMark

Prince George, Canada

#531067 Apr 22, 2014
Gods R Delusions x Mine wrote:
<quoted text>
Average, no better, no worse than Protestants.
Mormons and Jews seem to have the edge on Christians in general.
I suggest that no group has the edge on morality, as morality itself is illusion.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>>

The Final Inequality, by L. J. Ludovici

Morals at any given moment have always been as good, or as bad, as our imaginations credit them, for the morals (from the Latin, mores: customs) means simply customs, and they keep changing all the time in all the corners of the world.
June VanDerMark

Prince George, Canada

#531068 Apr 22, 2014
confrinting with the word wrote:
[And I suppose that you can explain "what it obviously and clearly says"?
KayMarie
The whole point that you miss is that those who study words in bibles take their own "personalized meaning" TO the words, and that is why none of you agree.

You don't WANT to let that sink in to your psyche.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >

The Use and Misuse of Language … edited by S. I. Hayakawa.

General semanticists know it is hard to make the average person realize that he brings meaning to the word, that the word does not contain any meaning.
June VanDerMark

Prince George, Canada

#531069 Apr 22, 2014
Liam wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus didnt start a Book, he started a Church, and they are clear in their teachings on Scripture.
I suggest you stop playing the part of a fool.

The word Lord in Judaism meant Lord as in Jehovah ... NOT Lord-Jesus.

The Catholic theologians CREATED the word Jesus out of the word Ihcuc.
June VanDerMark

Prince George, Canada

#531070 Apr 22, 2014
Liam wrote:
<quoted text>
Well no one posts to you, that's why u butt into everyone's conversations...... June Vandermichael!
Childish indeed!

There is no such thing on forums as "butting in." The subjects are OPEN to all posters.

We are not in your Catholic church disrespecting you. We are here to disagree that you know truth and others will spend eternity in hell.

Since: Feb 14

Location hidden

#531071 Apr 22, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Had the Bible been written clearly in a way that everyone could understand then that might be evidence for it being inspired by a deity with an interest in humans. As it is, the Bible is it's own worst witness.

Individual thought of God will be different, doesn't make one more right than the Other. with that, the Bible tells you to have a better understanding of it, before each reading one should Pray for Guidance and Understanding of Scripture. There's a deeper meaning to what was going on than what is just written. God didn't turn his back on them people, They turned their backs on God..The Bible and other writings tell why the People were being Punished..

Since: Feb 14

Location hidden

#531072 Apr 22, 2014
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
I suggest you stop playing the part of a fool.
The word Lord in Judaism meant Lord as in Jehovah ... NOT Lord-Jesus.
The Catholic theologians CREATED the word Jesus out of the word Ihcuc.
Hi June, did you have a nice "festivis" wkend?:)

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#531073 Apr 22, 2014
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
One of Kay's and my favorites;
"If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness."
No mention of limits...because of course there is no limit to God's mercy.
the key is that He doesn't forgive if we turn completely away from Him, I really wish that you understood what is beign said here.

I don't wish that you would meet a person that God has turned from. I wouldn't wish that on anyone even Marge, but I have seen that in the past.

you catholics don't have a clue about Christianity, only your false system that gives you a out in purgatory, but there isn't no such thing.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 5 min Mr Wiggley 35,905
How did black people get here ( economically) 24 min Johnny 39
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 26 min scienceanswersall 988,346
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 1 hr BOBBakatheboob 619,807
Chinese are dishonest, greedy and cold-blooded. (Jan '14) 1 hr Chinamen Bowl Hat 54
Learn To Make Your Own Dental Partials At Home (Jul '13) 1 hr I saved 2 dollars 6
God is REAL - Miracles Happen! (Jun '11) 3 hr scienceanswersall 6,538
More from around the web