Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News 548,421
The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ. Full Story
Liam

Saint Paul, MN

#530426 Apr 20, 2014
OldJG wrote:
The Roman Empire officially fell in 476 after a century of instability. Emperor Theodosius merged church and state a century before, but did not necessarily mean to make the church dominant. During the Hunnish invasions, the church appeared to many the only institution capable of saving the west. By the fall, the church assumed several governmental functions by necessity and provided the only bond for Western Europeans for centuries.
Pope Leo I dramatically increased papal authority after his encounter with Attila the Hun. Leo did not do anything especially creative in fending off the Hun. He followed precedent and paid Attila to leave. However, Attila died soon after and people credited Leo with this miracle. In the end, Leo’s miracle increased papal prestige.
As Rome fell, the papacy continued to increase its power. The Papal Estates began feeding Rome’s population. The remnants of the western government could no longer produce, transport, or distribute grain. Eventually, the government ceased to exist in the west and the eastern empire lacked the ability to help. Without help from the east, the Vatican negotiated treaties with barbarians and even hired armies to defend Rome. Instead of the legions, the Pope stood between the people and starvation and barbarian hordes.
After the fall, the church continued its missionary work. Missionaries traveled to far off lands and converted the pagans in Ireland, France, and Britain. The most famous of these missionaries, St. Patrick, merged pagan and Christian beliefs to make conversion palatable for the locals. As the church spread, it's power increased. When the Frankish warlord Clovis converted, Rome secured its greatest early medieval ally. Once the powerful converted, they became subservient to the church.
While missionaries converted the powerful and weak alike, monasteries formed and continued western civilization through record keeping. Monks were highly educated elites. The monasteries kept records, copied Bibles, and eventually turned into schools for the people. These schools became the first universities.
The church saved civilization. After the Roman Empire fell, the church stepped in and fulfilled basic governmental functions by default. As time passed, the institution’s power grew and expanded throughout Europe. Eventually, the old Roman world became the Christian world with the emperors being replaced by the papacy.
You have a very convenient faith formation. You hear something that's true, and you simply ignore it. That ain't fair. We Catholics don't get to do that.
For example: how come the teachings of the Catholic Church in Rome and throughout, look the same before Constantine and after? The Eucharist, Confession to a Priest, the Priesthood, Baptism, Sunday worship, Apostolic succession, order of Bishops, prayers to Saints and Mary... Its all there in century one, two and three.

Your answer: no its not.

I guess you win oldg, I don't have a response to that nor Wisdom being a "Roman Catholic forgery." I also can't explain to certain folks that Israel didn't tell all the Jews to stay home from the WTC on 9/11..
Gods R Delusions x Mine

Orlando, FL

#530427 Apr 20, 2014
Liam wrote:
<quoted text>
Look over there, Henry, a bunny rabbit!
The Easter Bunny is pagan. Galileo was correct. The RCC was wrong.

Ramen

“Let the Children”

Since: Aug 08

Come To Me

#530428 Apr 20, 2014
Liam wrote:
<quoted text>
Look over there, Henry, a bunny rabbit!
Looks,like,some,are,mad,this,m orning. This,board,is active with unbelief

I pray God opens,their hearts...

It must be,frightening to think it's,even remotely possible.

HE IS,RISEN.

HE IS,RISEN INDEED .

No other RELIGIon can say this ...no atheist can boast of a,Being they believe,in full of so much LOVE AND,POWER,,, even over death ...yet He,died and AROSE for them also

May the blessings,of the,RISEN Saviour be with you and all this Easter morning.
Gods R Delusions x Mine

Orlando, FL

#530429 Apr 20, 2014
Henry wrote:
<quoted text>
The RCC is the biggest criminal Christian Organisation in the world.
True, but as a Pastafarian, I have morals (e.g. slavery is wrong, and the child is not responsible for the crimes of the parent, for examples) and am compelled to forgive the delusional followers.

I don't like it, but that's what the One True God teaches. Plus they provide cheap labor.

Ramen
Gods R Delusions x Mine

Orlando, FL

#530430 Apr 20, 2014
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
HE IS,RISEN.
HE IS,RISEN INDEED .
No other RELIGIon can say this ...no atheist can boast of a,Being they believe,in full of so much LOVE AND,POWER,,, even over death ...yet He,died and AROSE for them also
Call me Doubting Thomas, but until he appears before me like he did for doubters 2000 years ago, I'm skeptical.

But we can BOTH agree about teaching intelligent design in school.

http://www.venganza.org/about/open-letter/

May the Force be with you.

Ramen
Liam

Saint Paul, MN

#530431 Apr 20, 2014
marge wrote:
I do worry for the catholics , once again participating in sacraments they know nothing about, on a 'Day' they revere 'Holy'.
Going to a sinner man for forgiveness of sins is so not Christian.
I guess the Apostles and those who went to them for forgiveness weren't Christians?

John 20:21
"Jesus said to them,'peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, even so I send you. And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and said to them, "Receive the Holy Spirit. If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven; if you retain the sins of any, they are retained"

2Cor 5:18
"God has reconciled Himself to us and gave us the ministry of reconciliation (Confession); that is, in Christ God was reconciling the world to himself, not counting their trespasses against them, and entrusting to us the message of reconciliation. So we are ambassadors for Christ, God making his appeal through us. We beg you on behalf of Christ, be reconciled to God.

How do you argue against this? Here, sinners are given the authority from God to forgive sins in the name of Christ. "God has reconciled Himself to us AND GAVE US THE MINISTRY OF RECONCILIATION". Do you understand what the word of God is saying Marge? Without a doubt, this ministry did not dissipate. Clearly the Apostles passed this authority on to the next generation. It hasn't ceased to this day. What i did yesterday was as Christian as one can get. You don't know how sinful you are, trying to unravel what Jesus Christ established. Like I said to Oldjg, it aint fair that you guys get to be so ignorant when it comes to your faith formation. You simply pretend you never heard it and continue waving your Bible and spreading slander. We don't get that luxury in being Catholic. We are compelled to embrace truth.
Liam

Saint Paul, MN

#530432 Apr 20, 2014
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
HE IS,RISEN.
HE IS,RISEN INDEED .
Happy Easter Rose

Since: Apr 14

Aurora, IL

#530433 Apr 20, 2014
i will call them if i need an exorcism!

“Let the Children”

Since: Aug 08

Come To Me

#530434 Apr 20, 2014
Liam wrote:
<quoted text>
Happy Easter Rose
Hope you and your family have a great day ...
Michael

Hamilton, Canada

#530435 Apr 20, 2014
Henry wrote:
<quoted text>
Michael is of course right. His statistics are very important and true.
...Of course my stats are true. Most of my information stories are from priests and bishops. My one recent story was by Bishop Occonnel from Trenton NJ. If Hojo doesn't,t want to believe that then he isn't a very good Catholic.

...,Hoho just plays his little game of if I say white he says black. Kind of silly.
Michael

Hamilton, Canada

#530436 Apr 20, 2014
StarC wrote:
http://m.godtube.com/watch/?v= 0E02FMNU
Happy Easter! He is Risen! Alleluia !
....Again???
Michael

Hamilton, Canada

#530437 Apr 20, 2014
hojo wrote:
<quoted text>
Your liberal "trash statistics" come from the same "remote and out-of-date sources" that do not represent ANYTHING credible regarding the year-to-year (constant growth) of the Catholic Church throughout the world.....You post "nothing" but meaningless statistical percentages that have " absolutely no basis" of any truth----(let alone facts)..... We ALL know that your liberal Catholic polling sources are (weighted and solicited) with those few "non-practicing liberal Catholics" that are telephoned and pre-screened to "fit the desired pollsters results" that fallen away Catholics like you will "feast on these distorted, twisted and misrepresented editorialized (hack ) articles.........Not "one" Catholic on this forum believes ANY of these "perverted and twisted" statistics that you so"desperately" attempt to "dupe" people into believing !!.... You really need to find a new hobby Michael, such as "Alligator wrestling" and !see how far you get trying to "fool a gator" similar to your (ongoing) failed attempts fool others on this forum!!!
...Are you saying the information I posted last night from Bishop OConnell from Trenton NJ is trash?

....and you believe you are going to be saved..........OMG!!
Michael

Hamilton, Canada

#530438 Apr 20, 2014
hojo wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh really now! Is that why the Catholic Church is the ONLY Christian Church that continues to grow "each and every year" world-wide by still least 1 1/2 percent while "every other Protestant religion is on a consistent rapid decline.......As usual Michael-----You are talking through your "beretta"----the same one that you heisted from the Catholic Church that you use to belong to, just prior to the "Good Riddance" send off your parish gave you!!!!
.....1965 the roman catholic church was 18% of the world population. Today its 17%.. Yes the numbers of poor peasant uneducated catholics has exploded, while in the western world numbers of practicing catholics are going down, down.

....1965 there were 14,700 catholic churches in america. 49 years and 2 generations later there are still only 14,700 catholic churches in america.....and many are closing up due to lack of adherents.

.....Go on any credible catholic website as I do and see for yourself.
Michael

Hamilton, Canada

#530439 Apr 20, 2014
hojo wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh really now! Is that why the Catholic Church is the ONLY Christian Church that continues to grow "each and every year" world-wide by still least 1 1/2 percent while "every other Protestant religion is on a consistent rapid decline.......As usual Michael-----You are talking through your "beretta"----the same one that you heisted from the Catholic Church that you use to belong to, just prior to the "Good Riddance" send off your parish gave you!!!!
....Why do you fail to post your statistics to back up your bogus claims?

...I am waiting for your numbers and your sources.....your sources will give you my numbers.

....You are afraid of reality.

....I am not saying anything bad about the church, just giving you a heads up that BIG. changes will be coming soon.to the catholic church.

Since: Feb 14

Location hidden

#530440 Apr 20, 2014
Y'all do know that Constantine defeated Christ with the Inception of the Church and Christianity right? I don't guess many of y'all have ever heard of, constantines arch huh? he built it after he saw the cross in the sky, do you know what's on that arch? well let me tell you, it has nothing to do with Christ, but a lot of Pagan Worship. Mitharaism, who's b/day just happens to be, Dec. 25th. that's right. He incorparated Jesus' b/day to spread his lie. Deceit and Confusion..Most of you people worship a lie. Jesus, I think, was real, but if you do the history, the Church is using him for furthering the lie..
marge

Ames, IA

#530442 Apr 20, 2014
Liam wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess the Apostles and those who went to them for forgiveness weren't Christians?
John 20:21
"Jesus said to them,'peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, even so I send you. And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and said to them, "Receive the Holy Spirit. If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven; if you retain the sins of any, they are retained"
2Cor 5:18
"God has reconciled Himself to us and gave us the ministry of reconciliation (Confession); that is, in Christ God was reconciling the world to himself, not counting their trespasses against them, and entrusting to us the message of reconciliation. So we are ambassadors for Christ, God making his appeal through us. We beg you on behalf of Christ, be reconciled to God.
How do you argue against this? Here, sinners are given the authority from God to forgive sins in the name of Christ. "God has reconciled Himself to us AND GAVE US THE MINISTRY OF RECONCILIATION". Do you understand what the word of God is saying Marge? Without a doubt, this ministry did not dissipate. Clearly the Apostles passed this authority on to the next generation. It hasn't ceased to this day. What i did yesterday was as Christian as one can get. You don't know how sinful you are, trying to unravel what Jesus Christ established. Like I said to Oldjg, it aint fair that you guys get to be so ignorant when it comes to your faith formation. You simply pretend you never heard it and continue waving your Bible and spreading slander. We don't get that luxury in being Catholic. We are compelled to embrace truth.
You missed the main point Claypool, one does not go through a man to be reconciled to God.
Liam

Saint Paul, MN

#530443 Apr 20, 2014
marge wrote:
<quoted text>
You missed the main point Claypool, one does not go through a man to be reconciled to God.
Christians in 33 AD went to Priest's who were sinners to confess their sins, and those sins were forgiven. This is what the Lord established and now you try and reverse it.

Since: Mar 14

Location hidden

#530444 Apr 20, 2014
Michael wrote:
<quoted text>
....Why do you fail to post your statistics to back up your bogus claims?
...I am waiting for your numbers and your sources.....your sources will give you my numbers.
....You are afraid of reality.
....I am not saying anything bad about the church, just giving you a heads up that BIG. changes will be coming soon.to the catholic church.
To reinforce your argument....
The Faith Survey released on June 26, 2013, shows clearly that the Catholic Church is in a state of terminal decline. According to the 2012 edition of the Catholic Directory for England and Wales, the number of ordinations has plummeted to just 16 in 2010, with a predominantly high number of elderly priests left who will not be replaced.

Attendance at the New Mass has similarly plummeted. From a peak of 2,114,219 at the time of Vatican II, attendance has fallen precipitously to 885,169 in 2010, a loss of 60 per cent.

During the same period, Baptisms fell from a peak of 137,673 in 1964 to 63,962 in 2010, a loss of 55 per cent.

Catholic marriages peaked at 46,880 in 1960 and fell to 10,301 in 2010, a loss of 80 per cent.

The roman faith is dying as well as being damned to hell!

“OneLordOneFaith Eph4:5”

Since: Apr 08

Saint John Paul II Pray 4 Us.

#530445 Apr 20, 2014
http://whispersintheloggia.blogspot.com/2014/...
Continue above

Pope's Homily ...(the people's Pope)
\o/
Snip

"This is the culmination of the Gospel, it is the Good News par excellence: Jesus, who was crucified, is risen! This event is the basis of our faith and our hope. If Christ were not raised, Christianity would lose its very meaning; the whole mission of the Church would lose its impulse, for this is the point from which it first set out and continues to set out ever anew. The message which Christians bring to the world is this: Jesus, Love incarnate, died on the cross for our sins, but God the Father raised him and made him the Lord of life and death. In Jesus, love has triumphed over hatred, mercy over sinfulness, goodness over evil, truth over falsehood, life over death."

“OneLordOneFaith Eph4:5”

Since: Apr 08

Saint John Paul II Pray 4 Us.

#530446 Apr 20, 2014
Michael wrote...

"Again"

NO, but if u want a rerun.... Here u go.

http://m.godtube.com/watch/... 0E02FMNU
Happy Easter! He is Risen! Alleluia
\o/

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 3 min RiccardoFire 96,089
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 3 min Remnant of 144000 602,141
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 4 min UidiotRaceMakeWor... 750,253
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 7 min Tell It Too Me 261,616
Play "end of the word" (Jan '11) 12 min WasteWater 4,764
God is REAL - Miracles Happen! (Jun '11) 20 min USN Atheist 5,444
GUARANTEED WEALTH REVIEW : guaranteedwealth.co ... 22 min dess71 1
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 46 min Dave Nelson 229,906
Have any girls on here had sex with a dog??? (Feb '12) 5 hr girls united states 125

Top Stories People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE