Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 595880 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Since: Sep 09

Prince George, Canada

#529129 Apr 14, 2014
When I studied the bible, I never took it upon my self to use a scripture to try to prove a point. And for that I am thankful.

I never preached at homosexuals that they are perverts and claimed that "Jesus" agreed with me ... and for that I am thankful.

I never believed that the men that wrote the bible received messages from anywhere but from their own ignorant mentalities.

From my perception, the words in the bible were too vile to be inspired by goodness.
marge

Ames, IA

#529130 Apr 14, 2014
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
Marge,
Why are we being told this???
1 Corinthians 10:12
12 So, if you think you are standing firm, be careful that you don’t fall!
Last two words.....DON'T FALL....
So it is possible to forget what God has revealed to us and to allow these most precious things to even depart from our heart.
Can a Christian depart from God in our hearts???
ABSOLUTELY!!!!
Can a Christian fall back into the world???
ABSOLUTELY!!!
Does God give us FREE WILL???
ABSOLUTELY!!!
Does God hold us at gun point to continue to follow him???
NO!!!!!!!!!!
One night I dreamed a dream.
As I was walking along the beach with my Lord.
Across the dark sky flashed scenes from my life.
For each scene, I noticed two sets of footprints in the sand,
One belonging to me and one to my Lord.

After the last scene of my life flashed before me,
I looked back at the footprints in the sand.
I noticed that at many times along the path of my life,
especially at the very lowest and saddest times,
there was only one set of footprints.

This really troubled me, so I asked the Lord about it.
"Lord, you said once I decided to follow you,
You'd walk with me all the way.
But I noticed that during the saddest and most troublesome times of my life,
there was only one set of footprints. I don't understand why, when I needed You the most, You would leave me."

He whispered, "My precious child, I love you and will never leave you
Never, ever, during your trials and testings.
When you saw only one set of footprints,
It was then that I carried you."
Michael

Hamilton, Canada

#529131 Apr 14, 2014
hojo wrote:
<quoted text>
What threats (and from who) are you referring to.......I have yet to see ANY Catholic make the threat ( that you are saying) by making a "judgemental claim" as to who going to heaven and who is not! Who is saved and who is not!----However, I can name you a half dozen bible only Protestant (self appointed preachers)------"and they know who they are"--- who somehow has decided on their own (to relieve God) of HIS responsibility by deciding for themselves as to (again) who ( in their own "dillusional state") will I've going to heaven and who is not !!!----and ---who is saved and who is not!!!!!-----
....The church statistics I post are from...

....Official roman catholic directory. Check it out.

....The vaticans annuarium, statistician, ecclesia, and Cara.
Check it out.

....If you disagree with the Official catholic directory, and the vativpcan statistician than you are not a good catholic.

Prince George, Canada

#529132 Apr 14, 2014
hojo wrote:
<quoted text>
So you decided to "take up" being an arrogant atheist instead!!!!!!!
Yes, I am an arrogant Atheist, who believes that all religion is trouble-making bunk ... and that includes the cult that you happen to idolize.
Michael

Hamilton, Canada

#529133 Apr 14, 2014
hojo wrote:
<quoted text>
Because of. the "promise of salvation and eternal life" that is offered and made available to anyone ( Catholic Protestant and all believers who (as Paul's says) by "running and finishing the race" and by faith and :doing good works as Jesus directs us in the Gospels . No one is guaranteed "anything" with regard to salvation and eternal life!!!!
...If your not guaranteed salvation why worry trying to impress God as you think you are doing.

Prince George, Canada

#529134 Apr 14, 2014
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
It is called OBEDIENCE to God and His Word, June.....
It's called obedience to the theologians that wrote the words in your Christian-cult.

Other religions expect obedience of their followers in their own organized cults.

Buddhist theologians don't relate to Christian theologians. You should KNOW that and see it for what it is, rather than what you WANT it to be.

You need to get out of your idolized cult in order to see that all religions are cults.

It was that ability to see my own religious philosophy as cult that in turn took me out of my own cultish religious nonsense to see how I had been fooled by the masters of mental manipulation ... the theologians.
Gods R Delusions x Mine

Orlando, FL

#529135 Apr 14, 2014
June VanDerMark wrote:
When I studied the bible, I never took it upon my self to use a scripture to try to prove a point. And for that I am thankful.
I never preached at homosexuals that they are perverts and claimed that "Jesus" agreed with me ... and for that I am thankful.
I never believed that the men that wrote the bible received messages from anywhere but from their own ignorant mentalities.
From my perception, the words in the bible were too vile to be inspired by goodness.
Other than the fundies here (of all kinds), I don't think that 85% of Xians would use the idea of God or Jesus in such ways either.

I believe the vast majority of Xians apply their religion in mostly positive ways.

I believe that most Xians don't care and don't want to hear the message most of these self-righteous wingnuts espouse, which is why the wingnuts are ranting here.

Who else will listen to them?

Thank the FSM for that.

Ramen
Michael

Hamilton, Canada

#529136 Apr 14, 2014
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks Yoda. Why is it you OSAS protestants feel the need to quote a Catholic source when I ask what we must do to be saved? Don't you guys know?
...You think you are an ambassador (lol) and the color guard for the catholic church putting down and insulting anyone not catholic.

....... Is your parish priest on topix forums arguing catholicism every night? Of course not he is probably having a margarita talking to his friend priests on Facebook planning their summer holidays together, as you the catholic ambassador argue catholicism as your priest is laughing and enjoying the lifelong security of his position.

......life is good for me and that bothers you.
Gods R Delusions x Mine

Orlando, FL

#529137 Apr 14, 2014
confrinting with the word wrote:
<quoted text>
HERE IS WHAT THE BIBLE SAYS..... A MAN HAS TO DO TO BE SAVED...
.IT IS SO EASY
Rom 10:8 But what saith it? The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach;
-->Rom 10:9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.
Rom 10:10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.
Rom 10:11 For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.
NATIONALITY DOES NOT MATTER
Rom 10:12 For there is no difference between the Jew and the Greek: for the same Lord over all is rich unto all that call upon him.
Rom 10:13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.
Only a few verse? FOOL. The Bible gives about 200 ways to be saved.

http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/says_about/...

Such a small list from you is shameful. It sounds like you DO NOT WANT others to be saved.

Come to the lite of honesty.

Ramen

Prince George, Canada

#529138 Apr 14, 2014
Buddhist theologians were also very prideful of their religious "theologies."

And that is WHY they fought and killed each other over who had the supposed truth on which to rely.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>

History of Violence in Buddhism

You have monks taking up arms and marching in the Russo-Japanese War, or earlier messianic battles in China when they thought killing people would bring them closer to enlightenment (a Ten Stage Process). Buddhists have fought against non-Buddhists, or other Buddhists. Japanese Buddhists fought to cleanse the impure Buddhist lands in China and Korea. Thai and Burmese fought for centuries against each other, each claiming religious authority as Cakravartins.

http://terryorisms.com/2010/01/16/history-of -...
Henry

Bad Langensalza, Germany

#529139 Apr 14, 2014
Michael wrote:
<quoted text>
....The church statistics I post are from...
....Official roman catholic directory. Check it out.
....The vaticans annuarium, statistician, ecclesia, and Cara.
Check it out.
....If you disagree with the Official catholic directory, and the vativpcan statistician than you are not a good catholic.
The RCC is the biggest criminal religious organisation
Gods R Delusions x Mine

Orlando, FL

#529140 Apr 14, 2014
What the Bible says about Salvation:

Fundamentalist, born-again Christians love to say that there's only one way to get saved. But if you believe the Bible, there's a lot more than that.

There are 194 ways to get saved.

Say the right things.
For by thy words thou shalt be justified.-- Matthew 12:37

Do the right things.(Be a do-gooder.)
And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life.-- John 5:29

I the Lord ... give every man according to his ways, and according to the fruit of his doings.-- Jeremiah 17:10

For we must all appear before the jugment seat of Christ, that each one may receive the things done in the body, according to what he has done, whether good or bad.-- 2 Corinthians 5:10

Believe the right things.
A man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law.-- Romans 3:28
Therefore, being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ.-- Romans 5:1

A man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ.-- Galatians 2:16

For by grace are ye saved through faith.-- Ephesians 2:8
Do and believe the right things.

Faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.-- James 2:17

Work your way to heaven.
For you render to each one according to his works.-- Psalm 62:12
For the Son of Man will come in the glory of His Father with His angels,

and then He will reward each according to his works.-- Matthew 16.27

More to follow....
Gods R Delusions x Mine

Orlando, FL

#529141 Apr 14, 2014
Don't let the faith-alone fundies fool you -- more ways to be saved.

And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works. And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.-- Revelation 20:12-13

Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also transform themselves into ministers of righteousness, whose end will be according to their works.-- 2 Corinthians 11:15

The Father, who without partiality judges according to each one's work.-- 1 Peter 1:17

What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him?-- James 2:14, 17, 20, 24, 26

I will give unto every one of you according to your works.-- Revelation 2:23

Behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work.-- Revelation 22:12

Burn your work.
If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.-- 1 Corinthians 3:15

Work it out with fear and trembling.
Work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.-- Philippians 2:12

Be hungry now and never get full.
Blessed are ye that hunger now: for ye shall be filled.... Woe unto you that are full! for ye shall hunger.-- Luke 6:21, 24

Hunger and thirst after righteousness.
Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.-- Matthew 5:6

Do what is lawful and right.
When the wicked man turneth away from his wickedness ... and doeth that which is lawful and right, he shall save his soul.-- Ezekiel 18:27

Do nothing. Die in Adam; come alive in Christ.
For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive.-- 1 Corinthians 15:22
Henry

Bad Langensalza, Germany

#529142 Apr 14, 2014
confrinting with the word wrote:
IT ONLY TOOK ONE DISOBEDIENCE UPON MOSES PART ..FOR HIM TO FORFEIT HIS PRIVILEGE TO CROSS THE JORDAN RIVER...
Num 20:10 And Moses and Aaron gathered the congregation together before the rock, and he said unto them, Hear now, ye rebels; must we fetch you water out of this rock?
Num 20:11 And Moses lifted up his hand, and with his rod he smote the rock twice: and the water came out abundantly, and the congregation drank, and their beasts also.
Num 20:12 And the LORD spake unto Moses and Aaron, Because ye believed me not,
to sanctify me in the eyes of the children of Israel, therefore ye shall not bring this congregation into the land which I have given them.
THIS IS THE REASON THAT JUDE WROTE ABOUT MOSES
Jud 1:9 Yet Michael the archangel, when contending with the devil he disputed about the body of Moses, durst not bring against him a railing accusation, but said, The Lord rebuke thee.
~~~~~
WHEN YOU PRACTICE OSAS ...IN YOU DISOBEDIENCE.....YOU
DO NOT SANCTIFY THE LORD IN THE EYES OF OTHERS,,,
YOUR TESTIMONY IS WORTHLESS....AND YOU FORFEIT YOUR
BLESSING..
The bible is full of lies, fakes,contradictions and is often a fairytale.
hojo

Chanhassen, MN

#529143 Apr 14, 2014
June VanDerMark wrote:
Apparently the "divine" creator ordered humans to be stupid and fight to the death to protect their divisive cults.
That is the REAL picture painted by those in religion ... who do nothing but fight,
So instead, you just criticize, be-rate and attempt to undermine the faith of other Christians whether they be Catholic or Protestant --which is your own atheistic (smoke screened) justified way of "fighting"!!!!
Gods R Delusions x Mine

Orlando, FL

#529144 Apr 14, 2014
Don't offend the little ones.

But whoso shall offend one of these little ones which believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and that he were drowned in the depth of the sea.-- Matthew 18:6, Mark 9:14, Luke 17:2

Prince George, Canada

#529145 Apr 14, 2014
When people believe they know truth ... NOTHING will stand in their way to spread what they are convinced is truth all over the world.

If you study your history, you will see that same theme in all of the ancient religions.

The dalai lama preaches that Nirvana awaits those who are enlightened ... as is HE of course ... at least in his own mind!

Meanwhile, some of the "untouchables" that are taught they must reincarnate again and again and again to be as holy as the dalai lama are of the lowest cast and are in turn forced to survive by catching and killing disease-infested rats, many of them dying from the disease of the rats in the process.

Prince George, Canada

#529146 Apr 14, 2014
hojo wrote:
<quoted text>
So instead, you just criticize, be-rate and attempt to undermine the faith of other Christians whether they be Catholic or Protestant --which is your own atheistic (smoke screened) justified way of "fighting"!!!!
No smoke-screen about it. I'm here to belittle ALL religion, including your orgasmic fantasy.
Gods R Delusions x Mine

Orlando, FL

#529147 Apr 14, 2014
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
In that era they never learned anything from how they treated Galileo, because in that era they perceived scientists as being motivated by the devil.
Now there is a pseudo-science-lab in the vatican. And I say pseudo, because the "scientists" there MUST believe in the existence of a god, or they will find their selves unemployed.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>
The Incredible Book of Vatican Facts and Papal Curiosities … A treasury of Trivia, by Nino Lo Bello~ Published 1998.
John Paul II Gives Galileo a Second Chance.
The Vatican’s belated but sincere vindication of Galileo came in May 1983, when nearly 200 scientists, including 33 Nobel Laureates and 22 cardinals, attended an audience in the Apostolic Palace’s Sala Regia, Pope John Paul II—speaking in French—told the representatives of Science for Peace that the Catholic Church had erred in condemning Galileo 350 years ago. He said that the Church’s seventeenth-century scientific position came from culturally influenced readings of the Bible.
The dust has finally settled on the drama, centuries after Galileo's condemnation brought to the fore the issue of intellectual freedom under Roman Catholic authority. But there remains one more final footnote to Galileo's posthumous reconciliation: Perhaps typical of the Curia's way of doing things is that the Vatican's denunciation of Copernican theory was withdrawn as far back as 1835--whereas Galileo's conviction stuck until just recently.
Although he could have found sanctuary in the Republic of Venice, Galileo—already 70, sick, and infirm—went to the Eternal City to defend his ideas. The Holy Office, which had been percolating a long time over the Florentine’s sins, argued that Galileo’s new book had violated his promise to keep silent and had advocated Copernicanism. Sustaining two days of rigorous interrogation, much of it under the threat of torture and the fear of being burned at the stake as a heretic, Galileo fell to his knees, recanted his theory, and begged the mercy of the seven who were grilling him mercilessly.
Because of his abject public renunciation, the scholarly giant was not ordered to the stake. Instead he was sentenced to life imprisonment that was commuted on the spot, at Pope Urban’s request, to house arrest in Florence (he was also given permission to visit his other home in Siena). Even while under house arrest, Galileo wrote a most poignant letter to the Holy Office in which he pleaded his innocence, adding “…I am in your hand. You may do as you please….”
Interesting, I didn't know that.

"Perhaps typical of the Curia's way of doing things is that the Vatican's denunciation of Copernican theory was withdrawn as far back as 1835--whereas Galileo's conviction stuck until just recently."

Justice, morality, ethics -- the RCC is certainly no standard bearer.

Not as wacky as the born-agains, if that is some consultation for the "one true" thingy.
Truth

Leesburg, VA

#529148 Apr 14, 2014
June VanDerMark wrote:
When people believe they know truth ... NOTHING will stand in their way to spread what they are convinced is truth all over the world.
If you study your history, you will see that same theme in all of the ancient religions.
The dalai lama preaches that Nirvana awaits those who are enlightened ... as is HE of course ... at least in his own mind!
Meanwhile, some of the "untouchables" that are taught they must reincarnate again and again and again to be as holy as the dalai lama are of the lowest cast and are in turn forced to survive by catching and killing disease-infested rats, many of them dying from the disease of the rats in the process.
You wrote:

Yeah, June.....it is called the Great Commission....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate 3 min Lbj 747
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 5 min I Am No One_ 444,117
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 5 min BenAdam 853,702
White Lives MATTER 7 min Astaire 6
Sex with demon possessed doll 45 min Burt Wagner 42
Will the world end in the middle of 2016? 53 min andet1987 16
Play "end of the word" (Jan '11) 1 hr andet1987 6,112
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 1 hr Marvelous Marve 100,698
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 1 hr Truths 612,594
More from around the web