Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 675907 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Gods R Delusions x Mine

Orlando, FL

#528413 Apr 10, 2014
Interesting.

June is not here for a couple of days,

and the people of god have turned on each other once again - without the distraction of a common enemy.

“GOD SO LOVED US”

Since: Aug 08

He Gave His SON,JESUS Christ

#528414 Apr 10, 2014
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
I've not said confrinting is not born again. I'm saying that he has no authority to privately interpret and judge scripture outside of the Catholic Church which was founded by Christ and to whom He gave the authority to bind and loose, i.e. St. Peter and his successors.
I would personally direct a non-believer to Christ and then immediately refer him to a priest in order to be taught the faith and to receive the Sacrament of Baptism by which one is born again of water and the Spirit, becomes a child of God and is received into the Body of Christ which is the Catholic Church.
Okay you did answer..Thanks...direct HIM to Christ...have,HIM pray, pray with Him..tell Him what Jesus,did???

Good,that Christ talk comes,before,priest ..what if he,doesn't trust priests??
I'm just,trying to get where,you guys,stand...what about directing him to the,scripture,if he is, not willing to see,a, priest. WOUKD YOU TELL him he cannot be saved without the,priest...?

See while I personally like,priests,and,nuns...not all folks,do ..whatever the,reason..

I found Christ from the,Leading of the,Holy Spirit urging me in so many ways,to repentance and the,cleansing blood of Christ... by Grace to have faith...

Yes,early education made me inclined to belief but in a way I cannot explain, this was different
Than learning, even praying and,sacraments as a child .....it's,Purely Spiritual .....

You are fortunate in your faith, and I get that you think the Church is,the ONLY path...but it's,not .and has not been for a,long time...and some folks,will be lost perhaps,if you tell them it's,the,ONLY path....
KayMarie

Carlisle, PA

#528415 Apr 10, 2014
who="Anthony MN" <quoted text>
I've not said confrinting is not born again. I'm saying that he has no authority to privately interpret and judge scripture outside of the Catholic Church which was founded by Christ and to whom He gave the authority to bind and loose, i.e. St. Peter and his successors.
I would personally direct a non-believer to Christ and then immediately refer him to a priest in order to be taught the faith and to receive the Sacrament of Baptism by which one is born again of water and the Spirit, becomes a child of God and is received into the Body of Christ which is the Catholic Church.

----------
If being dipped in water causes one to be born again of the water and the Spirit, there are an awful lot of Christians! "BELIEVE ON THE LORD JESUS CHRIST, AND YOU SHALL BE SAVED."

Does the guilty priest sanctify the unbeliever???

If a proud, boastful 'club' is the body of Christ, and mere men can 'birth' Christians because some other man has 'ordained' them, then your 'faith' is in fallible men.
Gods R Delusions x Mine

Orlando, FL

#528416 Apr 10, 2014
KayMarie wrote:
St. Paul DID NOT teach that in AD 2014, marge from Iowa, USA is given the Spiritual knowledge to properly interpret scripture.
God DID reveal to St. Paul through His Spirit the meaning of scripture and he passed this on to those whom he ordained and this line has continued unbroken to this very day in the Catholic Church.
Additionally St. Peter says that scripture is NOT subject to one's private interpretation which is what marge is doing.
----------
Anthony...Paul DID teach that when ANYONE is born of the Spirit, revelation is possible to them BY THE SPIRIT. While we are yet in the flesh, we must remember that "the flesh is at war against the Spirit", and none of us has infallible knowledge.
I haven't followed all of Marge's teachings, so will not attempt to judge her, but she DOES speak truth on the need for being born of the spirit.
I find that God DOES reveal Himself to believers in 2014...even as Peter received the revelation of Jesus from the Father. His Spirit and His Word are ALIVE in those who believe in Him.
EVERYTHING the evangelicals know about Jesus or Paul or any other player in the NT Bible ....

... came directly from and through the Catholic Church.

If the RCC is the devil, then who gave the Evangelicals their "holy book?"

Answer -- the devil.

Thus evangelicalism is strongest where poverty and ignorance are also the strongest.

Now it making sense.
comment

Pomona, MO

#528417 Apr 10, 2014
Henry wrote:
<quoted text>
Better get acquainted with science!
Science is a god with no absolutes. It's axioms are only observations of reality, not reality itself. Science has no conscience or morality, it is as fickle as a whore.

Science only pilfers the creations of God, and credits itself with the incremental revelations
that God condescends to evoke. Science takes much and gives little, For those who pursue it the wages are confusion.
Anthony MN

Champlin, MN

#528418 Apr 10, 2014
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
The SBC does not "have me".......plus...no one with the SBC ever encouraged me, never told me, never insinuated that I should leave the Catholic religion and become an SBC church member ....
Whatever you say Yoda. May the Farce be with you!
Liam

Denver, CO

#528419 Apr 10, 2014
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
You say: The best chance to get to Heaven; the guaranteed path, is to stay in a state of grace in the Church Jesus started. The Catholic Church. Weekly partaking in the Eucharist, daily prayer and Confession.
None of that garbage is based on Scripture....
Says who? The man who says Paul's second letter to Thessalonians, commanding them to hold steadfast to the traditions taught by word of mouth and letter, was really a letter to Timothy, telling him to " hold steadfast to Jewish traditions" that apparently the Apostles were teaching people? Lol, get lost.

You dont have a clue what scripture is.
Regina

Toms River, NJ

#528420 Apr 10, 2014
Lent Day 37 – The Invasion of Grace
by Fr. Robert Barron

A few years ago, news reports revealed that baseball superstar Alex Rodriquez had been using steroids. By his own admission, the great A-Rod joined the sad ranks of Ken Caminiti, Rafael Palmiero, John Rocker, Mark Maguire, Roger Clemens, and of course Barry Bonds. But when I reflected on the two most prominent players in this scandal—A-Rod and Barry Bonds—something struck me with particular power. These two figures began using steroids—Bonds in 1998 and Rodriguez in 2001—when they were at the top of their games, when they were generally regarded as the best players in baseball. They both had sterling records, both were guaranteed a place in the Hall of Fame, both had more money than they could spend in ten lifetimes, both could out-hit, out-run, and out-play practically any player in the game.

But why would these gods of baseball, these men who were, without artificial help, dominating their respective leagues, turn to steroids? It has been suggested that Bonds was jealous of the national frenzy around the Maguire-Sosa homerun race in 1998 and that Rodriguez felt the pressure of living up to the expectations generated by his unprecedented contract. Fair enough. But I think that things go deeper than that.

St. Augustine spoke of “concupiscent desire,” by which he meant a perversion of the will. We have, Augustine said, been wired for God (“Lord, you have made us for yourself”), and therefore, nothing in this world will ever be able finally to satisfy us (“our hearts are restless until they rest in thee”). When we hook our infinite desire for God onto something less than God—pleasure, money, power, success, honor, victory—we fall into a perverted and ultimately self-destructive pattern.

When money isn’t enough (and it never is), we convince ourselves we need more and more of it; when honor isn’t enough (and it never is), we seek honor desperately, obsessively; when athletic success isn’t enough (and it never is), we will go to any extreme to assure more and more of it.

This awful and frustrating rhythm, which Augustine called “concupiscent,” we would call today “addictive.” Barry Bonds and Alex Rodriguez were not addicted to steroids per se; they were addicted to success, and we know this because they were at the pinnacle of success and still didn’t think it was enough.

One of the most liberating and salutary things that we can know is that we are not meant to be perfectly happy in this life. When we convince ourselves otherwise, we, necessarily, fall into one or more forms of addiction. Bonds and Rodriguez still felt, at the height of their success, a nagging sense of incompleteness. That was not an invitation to take desperate measures; it was the invasion of grace.

As Lent nears its end, let your incompleteness be filled by God and not by any of the false, unsatisfying substitutes.
http://www.lentreflections.com/the-invasion-o...
KayMarie

Carlisle, PA

#528421 Apr 10, 2014
who="Gods R Delusions x Mine" <quoted text>
EVERYTHING the evangelicals know about Jesus or Paul or any other player in the NT Bible ....
Answer -- the devil.
Thus evangelicalism is strongest where poverty and ignorance are also the strongest.
Now it making sense.

----------
Use your head! If the RCC produced the Bible WHY don't they like it?

The devil is the father of lies, and is the producer of poverty and ignorance.

America is blessed mightily because Evangelicals have built it, and tended it BY THE USE OF THE BIBLE.
Anthony MN

Champlin, MN

#528422 Apr 10, 2014
KayMarie wrote:
St. Paul DID NOT teach that in AD 2014, marge from Iowa, USA is given the Spiritual knowledge to properly interpret scripture.
God DID reveal to St. Paul through His Spirit the meaning of scripture and he passed this on to those whom he ordained and this line has continued unbroken to this very day in the Catholic Church.
Additionally St. Peter says that scripture is NOT subject to one's private interpretation which is what marge is doing.
----------
Anthony...Paul DID teach that when ANYONE is born of the Spirit, revelation is possible to them BY THE SPIRIT. While we are yet in the flesh, we must remember that "the flesh is at war against the Spirit", and none of us has infallible knowledge.
I haven't followed all of Marge's teachings, so will not attempt to judge her, but she DOES speak truth on the need for being born of the spirit.
I find that God DOES reveal Himself to believers in 2014...even as Peter received the revelation of Jesus from the Father. His Spirit and His Word are ALIVE in those who believe in Him.
That's not what we're talking about. I use specifics, you move on to generalities.

Yes, the Holy Spirit is alive and working through the people of God today.

The problem is people like marge, who would get tossed out of even your congregation for some of the doctrines she espouses, says SHE...SPECIFICALLY...has the Holy Spirit guiding her to all truth. It is of course impossible for any protestant to declare their interpretation is the infallible truth when such "truths" are in conflict with OTHER protestants who say the same thing. There is only one authority on earth. It is the Church founded by Christ to bind and loose to to which He gave the keys to the Kingdom. Tell me which Church makes this claim.
Anthony MN

Champlin, MN

#528423 Apr 10, 2014
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay you did answer..Thanks...direct HIM to Christ...have,HIM pray, pray with Him..tell Him what Jesus,did???
Good,that Christ talk comes,before,priest ..what if he,doesn't trust priests??
I'm just,trying to get where,you guys,stand...what about directing him to the,scripture,if he is, not willing to see,a, priest. WOUKD YOU TELL him he cannot be saved without the,priest...?
See while I personally like,priests,and,nuns...not all folks,do ..whatever the,reason..
I found Christ from the,Leading of the,Holy Spirit urging me in so many ways,to repentance and the,cleansing blood of Christ... by Grace to have faith...
Yes,early education made me inclined to belief but in a way I cannot explain, this was different
Than learning, even praying and,sacraments as a child .....it's,Purely Spiritual .....
You are fortunate in your faith, and I get that you think the Church is,the ONLY path...but it's,not .and has not been for a,long time...and some folks,will be lost perhaps,if you tell them it's,the,ONLY path....
Why on earth would a non-believer trust me by accepting my urging to pray and seek Christ and then tell me he doesn't trust the priest that I send him to so that he can be born again of water and the Spirit through baptism?

Yes, I would tell him that he cannot be saved unless he is born again of water and the Spirit through baptism. That sacrament is (except in the case of an emergency) administered by priests.

Anyone who sincerely seeks Christ will accept his command that one must be born again of water and the Spirit through baptism. If they reject that, they are not sincere.
Anthony MN

Champlin, MN

#528424 Apr 10, 2014
KayMarie wrote:
who="Gods R Delusions x Mine" <quoted text>
Answer -- the devil.
Now it making sense.
----------
Use your head! If the RCC produced the Bible WHY don't they like it?
The devil is the father of lies, and is the producer of poverty and ignorance.
America is blessed mightily because Evangelicals have built it, and tended it BY THE USE OF THE BIBLE.
"Use your head! If the RCC produced the Bible WHY don't they like it?"

That's a lie of course. I guess you ignored this from my earlier posts;

122. Contrary to Protestant anti-Catholic myth, the Catholic Church has always revered the Bible, and hasn't suppressed it (it protested some Protestant translations, but Protestants have often done the same regarding Catholic versions). This is proven by the laborious care of monks in protecting and copying manuscripts, and the constant translations into vernacular tongues (as opposed to the falsehoods about only Latin Bibles), among other plentiful and indisputable historical evidences. The Bible is a Catholic book, and no matter how much Protestants study it and proclaim it as peculiarly their own, they must acknowledge their undeniable debt to the Catholic Church for having decided the Canon, and for preserving the Bible intact for 1400 years. How could the Catholic Church be "against the Bible," as anti-Catholics say, yet at the same time preserve and revere the Bible profoundly for so many years? The very thought is so absurd as to be self-refuting. If Catholicism is indeed as heinous as anti-Catholics would have us believe, Protestantism ought to put together its own Bible, instead of using the one delivered to them by the Catholic Church, as it obviously could not be trusted!
Anthony MN

Champlin, MN

#528425 Apr 10, 2014
KayMarie wrote:
----------
If being dipped in water causes one to be born again of the water and the Spirit, there are an awful lot of Christians! "BELIEVE ON THE LORD JESUS CHRIST, AND YOU SHALL BE SAVED."
If a proud, boastful 'club' is the body of Christ, and mere men can 'birth' Christians because some other man has 'ordained' them, then your 'faith' is in fallible men.
"Go ye therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit"

Believing on the Lord Jesus means accepting Him and obeying Him.

Yes, if one consciously rejects being born again of water and the Spirit through baptism they will not be disciples of Christ and will not be saved. And it doesn't HAVE to be by a Catholic priest. If you were baptized by a protestant minister you were born again of water and the Spirit.
marge

Leesburg, GA

#528426 Apr 10, 2014
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
That's not what we're talking about. I use specifics, you move on to generalities.
Yes, the Holy Spirit is alive and working through the people of God today.
The problem is people like marge, who would get tossed out of even your congregation for some of the doctrines she espouses, says SHE...SPECIFICALLY...has the Holy Spirit guiding her to all truth. It is of course impossible for any protestant to declare their interpretation is the infallible truth when such "truths" are in conflict with OTHER protestants who say the same thing. There is only one authority on earth. It is the Church founded by Christ to bind and loose to to which He gave the keys to the Kingdom. Tell me which Church makes this claim.
Excuse me, what would some of those doctrines be? I have zero conflict with other born-agains on doctrines. Gif might say he doesn't believe in osas but he just today posted Bible verses that agree with it so its not a conflict.

“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#528427 Apr 10, 2014
KayMarie wrote:
----------
And HOW would you know that this priest(that you just referred him to) was not a corrupted pedophile that would wind up molesting and destroying his family at "your" referral?
Y'all can keep that garbage to yourself.

“GOD SO LOVED US”

#528428 Apr 10, 2014
Regina wrote:
Lent Day 37 – The Invasion of Grace
by Fr. Robert Barron
A few years ago, news reports revealed that baseball superstar Alex Rodriquez had been using steroids. By his own admission, the great A-Rod joined the sad ranks of Ken Caminiti, Rafael Palmiero, John Rocker, Mark Maguire, Roger Clemens, and of course Barry Bonds. But when I reflected on the two most prominent players in this scandal—A-Rod and Barry Bonds—something struck me with particular power. These two figures began using steroids—Bonds in 1998 and Rodriguez in 2001—when they were at the top of their games, when they were generally regarded as the best players in baseball. They both had sterling records, both were guaranteed a place in the Hall of Fame, both had more money than they could spend in ten lifetimes, both could out-hit, out-run, and out-play practically any player in the game.
But why would these gods of baseball, these men who were, without artificial help, dominating their respective leagues, turn to steroids? It has been suggested that Bonds was jealous of the national frenzy around the Maguire-Sosa homerun race in 1998 and that Rodriguez felt the pressure of living up to the expectations generated by his unprecedented contract. Fair enough. But I think that things go deeper than that.
St. Augustine spoke of “concupiscent desire,” by which he meant a perversion of the will. We have, Augustine said, been wired for God (“Lord, you have made us for yourself”), and therefore, nothing in this world will ever be able finally to satisfy us (“our hearts are restless until they rest in thee”). When we hook our infinite desire for God onto something less than God—pleasure, money, power, success, honor, victory—we fall into a perverted and ultimately self-destructive pattern.
When money isn’t enough (and it never is), we convince ourselves we need more and more of it; when honor isn’t enough (and it never is), we seek honor desperately, obsessively; when athletic success isn’t enough (and it never is), we will go to any extreme to assure more and more of it.
This awful and frustrating rhythm, which Augustine called “concupiscent,” we would call today “addictive.” Barry Bonds and Alex Rodriguez were not addicted to steroids per se; they were addicted to success, and we know this because they were at the pinnacle of success and still didn’t think it was enough.
One of the most liberating and salutary things that we can know is that we are not meant to be perfectly happy in this life. When we convince ourselves otherwise, we, necessarily, fall into one or more forms of addiction. Bonds and Rodriguez still felt, at the height of their success, a nagging sense of incompleteness. That was not an invitation to take desperate measures; it was the invasion of grace.
As Lent nears its end, let your incompleteness be filled by God and not by any of the false, unsatisfying substitutes.
http://www.lentreflections.com/the-invasion-o...
Very similar to the teaching I heard a decade ago...about the GOD sized hole in our spirit which we try to fill with worldly treasure , power, money, love, cardinality..etc...yet we are empty because,only God fits ..

Bravo and very true.

I did hear this sermon from a Baptist minister.....truth of God cones from many sources, the main of which is the inspiration of the Holy Spirit

Peace

“GOD SO LOVED US”

#528429 Apr 10, 2014
And scripture, of course

“GOD SO LOVED US”

#528430 Apr 10, 2014
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Why on earth would a non-believer trust me by accepting my urging to pray and seek Christ and then tell me he doesn't trust the priest that I send him to so that he can be born again of water and the Spirit through baptism?
Yes, I would tell him that he cannot be saved unless he is born again of water and the Spirit through baptism. That sacrament is (except in the case of an emergency) administered by priests.
Anyone who sincerely seeks Christ will accept his command that one must be born again of water and the Spirit through baptism. If they reject that, they are not sincere.
Some folks don't like priests ...maybe they can learn to..but the question of the man's,salvation is NOT tied to a,priest baptizing him..He must have FAITH ......repent be born of the Spirit...it's not the baptism by water that GIVES HIM THE SPIRIT ....those o n Pentecost received THE SPIRIT ...then they were baptized with water...I agree with Baptism....but that is,not how,one receives FAITH ....it comes from grace given by God ...not water from a,priest or minister ....

Many receive baptism and other sacraments at the time proscribed by the church, yet never have true Faith .....it's from the SPIRIT
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#528431 Apr 10, 2014
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text>
And HOW would you know that this priest(that you just referred him to) was not a corrupted pedophile that would wind up molesting and destroying his family at "your" referral?
Y'all can keep that garbage to yourself.
Statistically it's more likely you are a child molester than a Catholic priest. Judge not buster.
hojo

Chaska, MN

#528432 Apr 10, 2014
What is the pillar, pinnacle and foundation of the truth?

Is the Bible the "pillar of truth" in the Christian religion? No. According to the Bible Itself, the Church is the "pillar of truth" (1 Timothy 3:15), not the Bible. Some "Bible" Christians insist that a "pillar" (the Church) was created to "hold up" another structure (the Bible). They claim the Bible is the structure being held up according to this passage. Well, if that is the case, how did the early Church "hold up" the Bible for the first three to four hundred years when the Bible Itself didn't even exist? Also, even if the Church is only a "pillar" holding up the Bible, doesn't that mean that the Church is the interpreter of Scripture rather than the individual because the Church came first ----over 350 years before the bible was even written.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 3 min River Tam 110,672
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing 46 min Drumpf Disaster 253
Lido Theater, Dallas (Mar '12) 53 min Marie 478
Why does shopping feel so good? 55 min humble brother 3
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 57 min waaaasuuuup brother 982,119
----*PUBLIC REBUKE to: --TV Preachers, POPE---- 2 hr stirringYTube 1
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 3 hr uIDIOTRACEMAKEWOR... 184,773
More from around the web