Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 658402 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Since: Sep 09

Prince George, Canada

#527085 Apr 4, 2014
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Faith is not simply mental assent. You do not become a part of the Body of Christ, the Church, by merely acknowledging that Jesus is the Messiah. He is quite clear on that.
Rose, tell me where the Christians were in the first 3 centuries of Christianity if not in the Catholic Church? Tell me which Christians rejected the sacraments, rejected the authority of their bishop and the Bishop of Rome? Tell me which Christians were bible alone with no authority other than themselves, the bible and the Holy Spirit?
Three popes reigning at one time.

From the book,“History of Christianity,” by Clyde L. Manschreck … comes the following ……..

With two popes reigning during the Great Schism, each anathematizing the other, many voices cried for reform, among them Conrad of Geinhausen, Heinrich of Langenstein, Peter of Ailli, John Gerson, and Nicholas of Clemanges. The agitation for a reforming council became so great that the cardinals of both Popes finally issued a call in Piza in 409. Neither the Pope of Avignon nor the one at Rome attended. Pisa declared both of them deposed, and elected Alexander V to be Pope. But the Popes at Avignon and Rome refused to be deposed, so that Christendom was faced with the spectacle of three Popes. The situation was intolerable.
Chess Jurist

Columbus, OH

#527086 Apr 4, 2014
Aquarius-WY wrote:
Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>
If a person believes in Jesus as the Christ, they are a Christian and have a religion.
<quoted text>
Gee, who knew that moral mushrooms grow in pea pods.
Do "religious"
and
"religion"
mean the same thing June?
What differences, if any are there between "religion" and "spirit"?
Wrong again, dummy.

“Evolved hunter/gatherer”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#527087 Apr 4, 2014
pusherman_ wrote:
<quoted text> I live farther south, in KY, than that. I live on the border of Tenn..
You still get the puns tho I suspect.

Prince George, Canada

#527088 Apr 4, 2014
The popes were not only anathematizing each other. They were getting rid of Catholics left and right who disagreed with them on any level.

They were a disgusting lot of bullies.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>

From the book "The History Of Christianity ... The Church from the Reformation to the Present, Volume 2, by Clyde L. Manschreck ... comes the following........

Gregory sought to enforce clerical celibacy not only as a purer state but as a means of freeing the church from the world. In1074 he prohibited future marriages and ordered married priests to dismiss their wives or give up reading mass. Clerical marriage from his viewpoint was no better than fornication. Laymen were urged not to take the sacraments from such guilty priests. Havoc resulted. Priests were insulted, tortured; some were driven to suicide, some even murdered. Legal wives became harlots, and legitimate children, bastards. But Gregory moved relentlessly forward, unseating bishops who opposed him, especially in the north. He enforced clerical celibacy, but at a great price and without permanence, for at the time of the Reformation in the sixteenth century the church was licensing clerical concubines and taxing the children of bishops.
Chess Jurist

Columbus, OH

#527089 Apr 4, 2014
Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh it's important alright.
Too bad one needs a grasp of the meaning of individual words within a sentence, before it is capable of transmitting meaning on the whole group of words strung together.
My two sentences demonstrated what it is and why it is important Kasparov.
If you really know what syntax is, it stands to reason that one would also be able to recognize it's demonstration, and answer simple questions about it ... like are the two meanings the same ... yes or no.
You said you do not do multiple choice quizzes instead.
<rolls eyes>
We're done here Einstein.
I will look for another moral mushroom to eat.
Syntax is important.

Now please identify where that importance relates to the conversation rather than playing true or false games, dummy.
Anthony MN

Champlin, MN

#527090 Apr 4, 2014
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Three popes reigning at one time.
From the book,“History of Christianity,” by Clyde L. Manschreck … comes the following ……..
With two popes reigning during the Great Schism, each anathematizing the other, many voices cried for reform, among them Conrad of Geinhausen, Heinrich of Langenstein, Peter of Ailli, John Gerson, and Nicholas of Clemanges. The agitation for a reforming council became so great that the cardinals of both Popes finally issued a call in Piza in 409. Neither the Pope of Avignon nor the one at Rome attended. Pisa declared both of them deposed, and elected Alexander V to be Pope. But the Popes at Avignon and Rome refused to be deposed, so that Christendom was faced with the spectacle of three Popes. The situation was intolerable.
You're only about a thousand years off June.

Location hidden

#527091 Apr 4, 2014
Aquarius-WY wrote:

Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>
If a person believes in Jesus as the Christ, they are a Christian and have a religion.
<quoted text>
Do "religious"
and
"religion"
Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong again, dummy.
Wrong about what Kasparov?
Aside from pointing out that you and June appear to be two moral mushroom peas in a pod, which appears to be true when it comes to both of you misunderstanding that there IS a difference, there are NO other claims in my post made be me.

Location hidden

#527092 Apr 4, 2014
Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>
Syntax is important.
Now please identify where that importance relates to the conversation rather than playing true or false games, dummy.
Put your lips right here > (_._) strawman.
marge

Leesburg, GA

#527093 Apr 4, 2014
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Faith is not simply mental assent. You do not become a part of the Body of Christ, the Church, by merely acknowledging that Jesus is the Messiah. He is quite clear on that.
Rose, tell me where the Christians were in the first 3 centuries of Christianity if not in the Catholic Church? Tell me which Christians rejected the sacraments, rejected the authority of their bishop and the Bishop of Rome? Tell me which Christians were bible alone with no authority other than themselves, the bible and the Holy Spirit?

Read your Bible Anthony;

Paul Defends his Ministry
…15But when God, who had set me apart even from my mother's womb and called me through His grace, was pleased 16to reveal His Son in me so that I might preach Him among the Gentiles, I did not immediately consult with flesh and blood, 17nor did I go up to Jerusalem to those who were apostles before me; but I went away to Arabia, and returned once more to Damascus.

Prince George, Canada

#527094 Apr 4, 2014
From the book, Eunuchs for the Kingdom of Heaven … Uta Ranke-Heinemann

The same disapproval of pleasure affected the priestly way of life, which had to be remote from the moral slums of everyday existence. Hostility to marriage logically leads to the celibate life of the priesthood. And so it is no wonder that the great Mariologist and despiser of marriage, Pope Siricus, stood in the forefront of the battle against the marriage of priests. He had a decisive influence on the development of celibacy when in his letter to the Spanish bishop Himerius of Tarragona (385) he labeled it a crimen for priests to continue having relationships with their wives after their ordination. He called that an abscoena cupiditas.(At the beginning of the evolution of celibacy most priests were still married; only after 1139 were priests no longer allowed to marry.)

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#527095 Apr 4, 2014
The Bible teaches against having a pope...

But Jesus called them unto him, and said, Ye know that the princes of the Gentiles exercise dominion over them, and they that are great exercise authority upon them. But it shall not be so among you: but whosoever will be great among you, let him be your minister;

minister: diakonos, an attendant, i.e.(genitive case) a waiter (at table or in other menial duties); specially, a Christian teacher and pastor (technically, a deacon or deaconess):--deacon, minister, servant.

deaconess: A Protestant woman who assists the minister in various functions.
Chess Jurist

Columbus, OH

#527096 Apr 4, 2014
Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
Put your lips right here > (_._) strawman.
I'll take that for you can't.

Prince George, Canada

#527097 Apr 4, 2014
If Catholics and Protestants would focus on something other than their own salvations, they would be disgusted by again and again and again what horrors were passed off by the self-righteous theologians as being based on truth.
Chess Jurist

Columbus, OH

#527098 Apr 4, 2014
Aquarius-WY wrote:
Aquarius-WY wrote:
Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Do "religious"
and
"religion"
<quoted text>
Wrong about what Kasparov?
Aside from pointing out that you and June appear to be two moral mushroom peas in a pod, which appears to be true when it comes to both of you misunderstanding that there IS a difference, there are NO other claims in my post made be me.
Take a deep breath, collect your thoughts, and post a cogent point or question, dummy.

Prince George, Canada

#527099 Apr 4, 2014
marge wrote:
<quoted text>
Read your Bible Anthony;
Marge wants Anthony to become another Marge ... just as Anthony wants Marge to become another Anthony.

Preachers believe their own images are "God"-like.

Watch them preach that they know the mind of "god" on a personal level ... making their selves appear as material that belongs in heaven.

YUCK!

Prince George, Canada

#527100 Apr 4, 2014
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
You're only about a thousand years off June.
If I'm a about thousand years off from the beginning of Catholicism, that ought to make it plain to you that they were still squabbling a thousand years after the beginning of Catholicism, over who "god" chose to be fit as the real pope.

They never stopped killing dissenters whether Jew OR Catholic.

And the proof is that all of the first Protestants were Catholics that left Catholicism. And then they killed each other while both claiming that JESUS was on their side.

Stupid idiots.

Since: Feb 14

Location hidden

#527101 Apr 4, 2014
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>

Well truth be known, they were tied to a stake and BB'QED!!
that's where they be..
marge

Leesburg, GA

#527102 Apr 4, 2014
All who are savingly converted, are called by the grace of God; their conversion is wrought by His power and grace working in them. MH

Prince George, Canada

#527103 Apr 4, 2014
In the 15th century the Catholics in power still couldn't stop squabbling among their selves.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >

From the book,“History of Christianity,” by Clyde L. Manschreck … comes the following

Finally, the newly elected Emperor Sigmismund and the Pope of Pisa called the Council of Constance (1414-18). It represents the height of conciliar power. An array of ecclesiastical and secular figures from cardinals and princes to writers of bulls and buglers attended. In 1415 the council deposed all Popes: it jailed and deposed John XXIII, successor to Alexander V; Roman Pope Gregory XII resigned; but Avignon Pope Benedict XIII proved intractable and did not actually vacate untilJuly 26, 1417. He claimed he was the cardinal since before the schism, and, if the schism Popes were invalid, he alone had the right to elect a Pope. On April 6, 1415, the council issued its Sacrosancta right to elect a Pope.“The ecumenical council assembled at Constance represents the whole church. It derives its authority immediately from Christ. Everyone, even the Pope, owes obedience to it in all that concerns faith, the unity of the Church and the reform of both head and members.” Unless set aside by a council, it declared its canons and decrees were immutable.
Actually the Council of Constance was not very successful as a reforming body, even though it ended the schism. That the council’s views were not really different than traditional dogma was demonstrated by the council’s order to exhume and scatter the bones of Wycliffe and to put John Hus to death. After the election of Cardinal Oddo Colonna of Rome as Pope Martin V, November 11, 1417, the council’s interest in reforms virtually ceased. It seems that the early popes had to fight other people in order to grasp the HIGH position of “speaking for God.” Even the pope Eugenius IV was perceived as a “heretic.”

Since: Feb 14

Location hidden

#527104 Apr 4, 2014
Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
You still get the puns tho I suspect.
Yup..

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 2 min RiccardoFire 45,574
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 2 min Aura Mytha 70,086
Should Black People Forgive White People for Sl... (Jun '07) 7 min gundee123 4,932
How to get Free Steam games, Steam Wallet codes... (Dec '13) 7 min prestonplaysss 153
Clinton Hackers Of The Rich And Famous 14 min mar 3
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 17 min nanoanomaly 974,632
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 27 min X Pendable 183,444
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 2 hr Brian_G 282,869
Moms having sex with their sons (Aug '12) 7 hr Raspberry2129 87
More from around the web