Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 641499 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

OldJG

Rockford, IL

#525668 Mar 30, 2014
OldJG wrote:
<quoted text>
Look up the definition of Old Testament.
Is the Torah is part of the Old Testament? The Torah was compiled 400-450 BCE.
To which definition of canon were you referring.
Canon = a general law, rule, principle, or criterion by which something is judged.
Canon = a collection or list of sacred books accepted as genuine.
Tango Bravo wrote:
<quoted text>
By context you could have deduced that I was referring to: a collection or list of sacred books accepted as genuine.
The complete Hebrew Canon was not finally established until approximately 200 AD. Some experts maintain that it was not established until later than that.
Tango Bravo said, quote, "By context you could have deduced that I was referring to: a collection or list of sacred books accepted as genuine." End quote.

Roman Catholics are never straightforward and have a tendency to twist and manipulate the response from another poster. Romans twist, twist, twist until it fits, fits fits.

The Torah was compiled in 400-450 BCE. The question was, is the Torah part of the Old Testament? Yes or no.

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#525669 Mar 30, 2014
hojo wrote:
<quoted text>
Roman Catholic "know for certain" (without a doubt) that it is OK because it is ALL biblical!!!....Same ol, same ol -----just as it has been for over 2000 years----The "only" Christian faith that teaches, proclaims and adheres to the Fullness of the Faith and the Fullness of the TRUTH of the Gospel of Jesus Christ, in and through HIS One True Apostolic Catholic Church!!!
Your full of pinto beans......as many times as you have repeated this song and dance you still don't believe it do you? If you did, you wouldn't have to try so hard in convincing others.
OldJG

Rockford, IL

#525670 Mar 30, 2014
OldJG wrote:
Leading creationist Ken Ham, who recently debated Bill Nye, says that the new blockbuster, starring Russell Crowe, is an insult to Christians: "Ultimately, there is barely a hint of biblical fidelity in this film. It is an unbiblical, pagan film from its start"
Liam wrote:
<quoted text>
Leading creationist??
God, I hope not. That man completely embarrassed himself on a world stage when he debated Bill Nye. Such incredible ignorance form a supposed scholarly man.
I thank Bill Nye for being polite and trying to keep a straight face as he squared off from an obvious wacko. I have no idea how you guys became so vocal. I beg you to shut your cake hole and quite representing Christians. All you do is create more atheist by requiring them to embrace the level of stupidity that you did. Ignorance has no place in Christianity.
The debate was a joke. Bill Nye is a complete moron and was over-matched. Sad you give credence to his theology but it stands to reason. One feeble minded person believing another of like mind. Just sayin' Comprende'
Liam

Saint Paul, MN

#525671 Mar 30, 2014
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
You Said the manuscripts and copies were gone...then you said they copied..FROM WHAT??
Making no sense.
..the Canon was put together BEFORE Rome assumed hierarchy..it was the CHURCH ES leaders who decided..
Much was,considered scripture before they decided.....
What Did they copy if as you say there WERE NO WRITINGS......
I'll try one more time... the ORIGINAL writings of the Apostles are GONE. The ORIGINAL copies of those ORIGINAL writings are also gone. The copies for the next 300 yrs are gone. Destroyed. Lost. Disintegrated.
The oldest Bible we have is one from the 4th century and it contains many grammatical errors and looks a bit different than your modern Bible. This isn't a big deal to Catholics, but it should raise a red flag to you "Bible only" Christians. Because Sola Scriptura becomes even more impossible.
Follow?

So it stands to reason, that if the Holy Spirit was with the Apostles, then He had to be with those who copied their writings. This means that the Holy Spirit would have to be with the Catholic Church when they copied the Bible by hand and finally printed it with a machine.

You are trusting that the copyist of the Catholic Church got it grammatically right, each time they translated it and when they put it into chapters and verses.

So, do you believe God grammatically protected His word or the meaning BEHIND His word?

And if God's word (meaning) was protected, who protected it?
I'm saying: Its not enough to believe that God protected the Bible in grammar and punctuation marks, but not teaching.

“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#525672 Mar 30, 2014
Tango Bravo wrote:
<quoted text>
What makes you think He didn't also speak Latin? The Romans controlled the politics, the commerce, and the people. Why wouldn't Jesus have used Latin?
I'm not trying to suggest that He only used Latin. I don't know if He used Latin at all. I'm just saying that it wouldn't surprise me considering that the political, commercial, and day-to-day power in Israel was Roman. I doubt that Pilate would have addressed Jesus in Hebrew or Aramaic. He was the representative of the Roman Caesar and would have used Latin. What language do you think Jesus would have used when He responded to Caesar?
That's ridiculous. Latin was the language of the "elite" Roman. No one in the Levant would have understood anything he was saying....and he never addressed Caesar.
Pilate would have most likely addressed the trial of Jesus in Greek if he was to be understood by all in attendance, as it was common among all the people of the area at once....Latin was NOT.
Use your brain here.

Location hidden

#525673 Mar 30, 2014
OldJG wrote:
Leading creationist Ken Ham, who recently debated Bill Nye, says that the new blockbuster, starring Russell Crowe, is an insult to Christians: "Ultimately, there is barely a hint of biblical fidelity in this film. It is an unbiblical, pagan film from its start"
This is what several of our orthodox friends were telling us last night when I asked them about this movie. We were adivced not to waste our money....
OldJG

Rockford, IL

#525674 Mar 30, 2014
Liam wrote:
<quoted text>
The movie "Noah" will be a problem for "Bible only" Christians. But for Catholics, it'll be ok. The reason being is that you people do not understand what the Bible is or where it came from. You see the words and think every little word was put there by God Himself. The story of Noah is a sad story about mankind's rebellious nature against the Creator. God (the Creator) destroyed the world by a flood. THAT"S the word of God.
You'll see the movie and see that it didn't go exactly like the Bible said, but it shouldn't matter, because when it comes to the overall theme, it hit the nail right on the head.
That's the message God was trying to convey to us when He inspired the authors of the Bible. God wasn't trying to reveal an historical event for our earthly records. He didn't reveal this so archeologist could have fun searching for the ark.
He didn't reveal Jonah and the Whale so people like you can tell a cute story about a great fish that swallowed a man! That's not the word of God, per se. The meaning behind Jonah and the whale is the word of God. That we must not run from Him. Repent because He loves us.
Seraphima wrote:
<quoted text> Really?? As Orthodox, we were advised not to see the movie that it was not accurate and that it was from an Atheist point of view.
Seraphima, great response. Have a blessed day. OldJG
Liam

Saint Paul, MN

#525675 Mar 30, 2014
Seraphima wrote:
<quoted text> Really?? As Orthodox, we were advised not to see the movie that it was not accurate and that it was from an Atheist point of view.
When were you advised? It just came out Friday. Having seen it myself, I doubt any Orthodox Bishop would advise his congregants to not see a movie. This movie presented the story of Noah and the fall of man very well. Little tidbits (like the talking rocks) are not in the Bible, but it still was beautifully done, given that the rocks were ALSO created by God when He created the earth.
Im sorry Sera, but i doubt you on this one. Don't get mad, i mean no disrespect. But I can't see how the Orthodox Church would advise you to not see it.
Gods R Delusions x Mine

Orlando, FL

#525676 Mar 30, 2014
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
They have anointed their selves as servants of gods, and are convinced it is their DUTY to the gods to persecute us for not believing in the gods..
They complete their own circles of thought and they are locked inside the circles as guests of their own arrogance.
Their duty, yes. Makes sense.

They are indeed locked in a circle. Page after page, "you're wrong, god will get you,"
OldJG

Rockford, IL

#525677 Mar 30, 2014
Liam wrote:
<quoted text>
When were you advised? It just came out Friday. Having seen it myself, I doubt any Orthodox Bishop would advise his congregants to not see a movie. This movie presented the story of Noah and the fall of man very well. Little tidbits (like the talking rocks) are not in the Bible, but it still was beautifully done, given that the rocks were ALSO created by God when He created the earth.
Im sorry Sera, but i doubt you on this one. Don't get mad, i mean no disrespect. But I can't see how the Orthodox Church would advise you to not see it.
You do not have a clue about Noah. NONE!
CREDIT

Saint Louis, MO

#525678 Mar 30, 2014
Catholics Work HAND in HAND with the Enemies of the Scripture.

They Are Working With Muslims TODAY...

The Pope Kisses His Quran. Declaring that the god of ISLAM
The god of the QURAN. is the God of the Bible.

CATHOLICS have been doing this FROM Day 1.

THey ====Did the SAME CRAP with the FakeApocrypha Books of the Bible.
That Were Never Part of the Scriptures....

They Are the Enemy of Christians and the Bible.

They Have Rejected Christians. rejected. the BIBLE and Have Declared Allah is the Lord jESUS Christ,

Kissing Their QuraN..... wHILE THEY Rip, Pervert and Spit-- and MOCK -- UPON THE Non Catholic Versions of the Bible;
CREDIT

Saint Louis, MO

#525679 Mar 30, 2014
The CATHOLIC ENC (Vol. 10, page 184). Demands that """ "The Bible as a literary work had traditions that included myth"

CATHOLIC ENC (Vol. 10, page 184).

The CATHOLIC ENC (Vol. 10, page 184).-- """"Some of the miracles recorded in Holy Scripture may be fictional and include

imaginative literary exaggerations.

The episode of Noe and the Ark is imaginative literary CATHOLIC ENC (Vol. 9, page 887).

The Gospels are not biographies of Jesus and still less scientific history" (Vol. 12, page 403).

Since: Sep 09

Dawson Creek, Canada

#525680 Mar 30, 2014
I read of a case during war where two American soldiers were walking through the after-math of a battle-field, when they saw a badly-wounded German soldier in the process of dying. His insides were hanging out of his body. The German soldier couldnÂ’t speak English, but with pleading eyes he pointed a finger at his temple in the hopes that one of the American soldiers would end his misery with a shot from his gun.

One soldier walked by, while the other soldier took his gun and mercifully ended the suffering of the German soldier.

Morality is a matter of opinion.
OldJG

Rockford, IL

#525681 Mar 30, 2014
CREDIT wrote:
Catholics Work HAND in HAND with the Enemies of the Scripture.
They Are Working With Muslims TODAY...
The Pope Kisses His Quran. Declaring that the god of ISLAM
The god of the QURAN. is the God of the Bible.
CATHOLICS have been doing this FROM Day 1.
THey ====Did the SAME CRAP with the FakeApocrypha Books of the Bible.
That Were Never Part of the Scriptures....
They Are the Enemy of Christians and the Bible.
They Have Rejected Christians. rejected. the BIBLE and Have Declared Allah is the Lord jESUS Christ,
Kissing Their QuraN..... wHILE THEY Rip, Pervert and Spit-- and MOCK -- UPON THE Non Catholic Versions of the Bible;
Amen. Well said!

Dawson Creek, Canada

#525682 Mar 30, 2014
Gods R Delusions x Mine wrote:
<quoted text>
Their duty, yes. Makes sense.
They are indeed locked in a circle. Page after page, "you're wrong, god will get you,"
That is their merry-go-round!

Their trip of fantasy that they are special and others are fodder for the devil is what keeps them "going."
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>

Signs & Symbols in Christian Art

The Last Judgment

Often other angels hover near Christ, bearing the instruments of His passion. At His right hand, the elect are rising to their reward in Heaven; and at His left hand, the damned are being cast down to Hell.

Dawson Creek, Canada

#525683 Mar 30, 2014
OldJG wrote:
<quoted text>
Amen. Well said!
Now that is a "sign" that two Catholics agreed with each other.

On another thread the Catholics were tearing each "other's" dogmas apart as being based on lies.

It was interesting to see that they had learned Jesus' message of how to love each other.

Hahahahahahaha
Liam

Saint Paul, MN

#525684 Mar 30, 2014
OldJG wrote:
Liam wrote:

<quoted text>
Seraphima, great response. Have a blessed day. OldJG
Here is what an Orthodox Church said about Noah. I found it by Google and than got to their FB link:

"Yesterday we discussed with one question of many modern Christians on the historical accuracy of Noah's ark and the flood account.
Today, let us simply look at how the early Christians viewed the story of Noah and his family:

There are five references to Noah and his ark in the NT. We will focus this morning to the words of our Lord to His Apostles found in the account of Mathew and the parellel account in Luke.
Jesus is teaching about the end times and says "But of that day and hour no one knows, not even the angles in Heaven, but my Father only. But as the days of Noah were, so also will the coming of the Son of Man be. For as in those days of the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day Noah enterered the ark and did not know until the flood took them all away, so also will the coming of the Son of Man be. Then two will be in a field ; one will be taken and the other left; Two woman will be grinding at the mill, one will be taken and the other left. Watch therefore, for you do not know the hour your Lord is coming" (Mathew 24:36-42)

Jesus uses the story of Noah to teach his Disciples -and us through them- the importance of always being ready for the return of Christ. He reminds us clearly here, that the people of old were not ready when the flood came unexpectedly. But we have been forewarned, let us not also fall away. Thus Jesus uses the past to prepare us for the future. As we know with history, if we are not careful, it often repeats itself.

From lookin at the NT references to Noah, we find they were much less interested in the question of our own day regarding the story, how did the animals know when to go on the ark? How did they not attack Noah? How high was the water? Why did Noah bring termites? and many others...

Their focus and attention of reading the writings of the Book of Genesis are the same as ours now. During this Lenten fast, namely, preparing us for the resurrection of Christ & the establishment of His Kingdom, let us this time of great lent, prepare ourselves, that we may be made ready, by our participation in the Sacramental life, namely Confession and the Eucharist & and our vigillance in prayer this season"

Fr. Mathew
Saint Mary's Orthodox Church

www.facebook.com/StMarysOrthodoxWV

Well said Father Mathew!

Sera, this Orthodox Priest would not forbid his congregants form seeing the movie Noah. Why did yours? The movie hit the nail on the head when it comes to the whole concept of Noah and the flood.

Dawson Creek, Canada

#525685 Mar 30, 2014
The plain history of religion has been "We will kill for God ... but don't ask us to love for God. THAT goes against our grain."

Location hidden

#525686 Mar 30, 2014
Liam wrote:
<quoted text>
Read slower grasshopper. I said some friends last night....You doubt me because I go against YOU...Unlike your church....we are not told what to read watch or say.by our Bishops. See how you jump to conclusions. I said FRIENDS....And don't be sorry for anything, I am use to you by now I expect nothing else from yous.
Gods R Delusions x Mine

Orlando, FL

#525687 Mar 30, 2014
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
That is their merry-go-round!
Their trip of fantasy that they are special and others are fodder for the devil is what keeps them "going."
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>
Signs & Symbols in Christian Art
The Last Judgment
Often other angels hover near Christ, bearing the instruments of His passion. At His right hand, the elect are rising to their reward in Heaven; and at His left hand, the damned are being cast down to Hell.
Help them Junith.

Show them the lite.

Ramen

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 2 min MUQ2 280,877
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 13 min MUQ2 44,343
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 14 min It aint necessari... 38,092
Why do white men hate white women who want blac... (May '11) 50 min Paul is dead 4,111
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 59 min AussieBobby 104,661
Do you want to earn $0,00025 from each your web... 1 hr AussieBobby 5
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 1 hr Steve III 618,386
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 2 hr Brian_G 969,957
More from around the web