Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 665126 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Gods R Delusions x Mine

Orlando, FL

#525345 Mar 29, 2014
pusherman_ wrote:
<quoted text> I f you can't take the Heat, don't start the Fire.
you have been proven wrong 4 or 5 times here and now, like a little kid, you run off pouting, i don't wanna play anymore!! boo hoo!!( here is you a kleenex ) dry your tears..
maybe a little more brainwashing by that wanna be, will get you ready to have a debate..
OK June, 12.
KayMarie

Carlisle, PA

#525346 Mar 29, 2014
who="Anthony MN" <quoted text>
Cite your non anti-Catholic source. Amen. Thank you OldJG. Anthony MN

----------
A NON ANTI-Catholic source ???
Gods R Delusions x Mine

Orlando, FL

#525347 Mar 29, 2014
"Since the Renaissance, science has driven back the bounds of religion.

Heaven was once thought to begin beyond the sphere of stars, just outside the orbit of Saturn. Modern telescopes have pushed the boundaries to the edge of the universe.

But theists no longer claim that God is just outside the last rim of the visible. God has moved to more secure accommodation - to an invisible fortress which shows not so much as a grain of mortar in the real world.

Yet this is, paradoxically, His best defence. Because He cannot be inspected or measured His existence can never be disproved.

This immaterial God is quite safe against attack from science. Science can establish or disprove only testable statements and theories about the real world. It cannot endorse or discount any set of beliefs that are not testable."

Real Gods don't run away and hide.

Ramen
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#525348 Mar 29, 2014
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
The old testament was supposedly published around 450 BCE ... not 1609 CE
The Douay-Rheims translation of the OT was published in AD 1609.

Since: Sep 09

Fort Saint John, Canada

#525349 Mar 29, 2014
Check out the promise of "liberation from suffering."

Yeah RIGHT!!!
>>>>>>> >>>>>>

The Major Mysteries, a book by Samael Aun Weor

Major Mysteries by Samael Aun WeorThe Gnostic Jesus and the Path of Initiation.

Filled with practical exercises, prophecies, and guidance for liberation from suffering, The Major Mysteries is an essential handbook for anyone who longs to know for themselves the truth of Jesus and his message.
KayMarie

Carlisle, PA

#525350 Mar 29, 2014
who="June VanDerMark" The Lord saw how great the wickedness of the human race had become on the earth, and that every inclination of the thoughts of the human heart was only evil all the time.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>>
That means that Christians were and are also evil.
WOW ... now THAT is a revelation.
Bunkology

----------
That was VERY pre-Christian times.
Gods R Delusions x Mine

Orlando, FL

#525351 Mar 29, 2014
OK, for all theists, one at a time.

1... Did man's corruption (sin) surprise and disappoint your god?

The answer is in the Bible, but is is so absurd, no one wants to answer directly. I get it.

Come to the one true God and lose the Bronze Age gods.

Ramen

Fort Saint John, Canada

#525352 Mar 29, 2014
Edgar Cayce, the famous seer, claimed that Jesus reincarnated under different titles.

Those "seers" with flamboyant stories, all wanted to be followed as prophets in their own RIGHTS.

Bunkology.

Fort Saint John, Canada

#525353 Mar 29, 2014
KayMarie wrote:
who="June VanDerMark" The Lord saw how great the wickedness of the human race had become on the earth, and that every inclination of the thoughts of the human heart was only evil all the time.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>>
That means that Christians were and are also evil.
WOW ... now THAT is a revelation.
Bunkology
----------
That was VERY pre-Christian times.
So people were all evil before Christianity came on the scene ... HUH???

What about that sticky issue of burning innocent humans at the stake as witches and heretics???

I guess you over-looked that issue ... as usual.

Some of the dumbest humans on earth preach religion as though their mentalities are aligned to gods ... no question about it.

Fort Saint John, Canada

#525354 Mar 29, 2014
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
The Douay-Rheims translation of the OT was published in AD 1609.
Well that is better way of putting it. Now I understand what you mean.

I am not Christian, so I prefer the terminology 1609 CE ... common era.

Fort Saint John, Canada

#525355 Mar 29, 2014
From the book,“History of Christianity,” by Clyde L. Manschreck … comes the following.

A major agent of change in Western monasticism was Jerome (ca. 347—420), who successfully united the movement with scholarship and service. Although not a great theologian, his passion for asceticism, relics and pilgrimages, his credulity and superstition, and his concern for religious books projected the spirit of medievalism. An angelic vision turned Jerome away from youthful wildness and classical studies to life as a desert hermit near Antioch, where he spent several years studying “God’s books.” When he returned to Antioch, at the urging of many friends he accepted ordination as a presbyter and studied briefly in Constantinople under Gregory of Nazianzus. After the Council of Constantinople in 381 he journeyed to Rome where he served as secretary to Pope Damascus. Damascus commissioned him to make a Latin translation of the Bible, which he did, completing the New Testament between 386 and 391, and the Old in 405. This Vulgate translation encountered opposition but was gradually accepted, and in 1546 the Council of Trent made it the official Roman Catholic Bible.
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#525356 Mar 29, 2014
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Well that is better way of putting it. Now I understand what you mean.
I am not Christian, so I prefer the terminology 1609 CE ... common era.
Apology accepted. ;0)
OldJG

Rockford, IL

#525357 Mar 29, 2014
OldJG wrote:
<quoted text>
Your interpretation of ANY Bible translation is flawed if you believe the grace and truth found in the only begotten Son of God was also found in His mother.
If you believe what you wrote about YOUR Mary you must believe she has the same attributes of God in that she is omniscient, all knowing. That she is omnipresent, all present and all seeing. That she is omnipotent, all powerful.
This IS the Roman Catholic Mary. Not the mother of Jesus.
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
First of all, you have no authority to infallibly interpret scripture. Every protestant group is bible-alone and claims to be able to interpret scripture on their own, therefore, each and every time you state the Catholic interpretation is wrong, you do so with nothing more that your own personal judgement. That's the creed you profess, better get used to admitting that your opinions are fallible.
And of course you're crazy if you think that being full of grace means you're a "deity". Mary was given grace by God. Jesus was filled with grace because He is God.
AnthonyMN said, quote, "First of all, you have no authority to infallibly interpret scripture." End quote.

Yes, I do have the authority to interpret Scripture because Holy Spirit resides in me, a born again believer. End of story.

The Roman Catholic interpretation of Scripture is corrupt in that it is skewed with the beliefs of pagan religions of the Roman Empire. So skewed it does not resemble the teachings of Jesus Christ. End of story.

AnthonyMN said, quote, "And of course you're crazy if you think that being full of grace means you're a "deity". Mary was given grace by God. Jesus was filled with grace because He is God." End quote.

Jesus was described as 'FULL OF GRACE AND TRUTH'. Is Jesus Christ deity?

Your translation of Luke 1:28 describes Mary as being 'FULL OF GRACE'. When in fact the correct translation is "And coming in, he said to her,“Greetings, favored one! The Lord is with you.”

The only person 'FULL OF GRACE' is the Son of God, Jesus Christ. Mary is nothing more than sinner saved by grace. She is not a deity and is not full of grace as was Jesus Christ.

Your Roman Catholic Mary, according to Rome and not the Bible, is described as follows:

1. Perpetual virgin
2. Immaculate conception
3. Mother of God
4. Queen of heaven
5. Sinless
6. Mother of the church
7. Co-redeemer
8. Assumed into heaven
9. Co-mediator

You have elevated her to deity and as a result will be judged for it. Not judged by me but by Jesus Christ.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#525358 Mar 29, 2014
StarC wrote:
"Jesus said his Church would be "the light of the world." He then noted that "a city set on a hill cannot be hid" (Matt. 5:14). This means his Church is a visible organization. It must have characteristics that clearly identify it and that distinguish it from other churches. Jesus promised, "I will build my Church and the gates of hell will not prevail against it" (Matt. 16:18). This means that his Church will never be destroyed and will never fall away from him. His Church will survive until his return.
Among the Christian churches, only the Catholic Church has existed since the time of Jesus. Every other Christian church is an offshoot of the Catholic Church. The Eastern Orthodox churches broke away from unity with the pope in 1054. The Protestant churches were established during the Reformation, which began in 1517.(Most of today’s Protestant churches are actually offshoots of the original Protestant offshoots.)
Only the Catholic Church existed in the tenth century, in the fifth century, and in the first century, faithfully teaching the doctrines given by Christ to the apostles, omitting nothing. The line of popes can be traced back, in unbroken succession, to Peter himself. This is unequaled by any institution in history.
Even the oldest government is new compared to the papacy, and the churches that send out door-to-door missionaries are young compared to the Catholic Church. Many of these churches began as recently as the nineteenth or twentieth centuries. Some even began during your own lifetime. None of them can claim to be the Church Jesus established.
The Catholic Church has existed for nearly 2,000 years, despite constant opposition from the world. This is testimony to the Church’s divine origin. It must be more than a merely human organization, especially considering that its human members— even some of its leaders—have been unwise, corrupt, or prone to heresy.
Any merely human organization with such members would have collapsed early on. The Catholic Church is today the most vigorous church in the world (and the largest, with a billion members: one sixth of the human race), and that is testimony not to the cleverness of the Church’s leaders, but to the protection of the Holy Spirit."
Hogo, Clay, ITB, Ant...Starc and udder catliks...

You people are scared to death to face the truth...your egos are the size of elephants...you have swallowed so much slop from your pope you have stayed blind and deaf...

Your stupidity of looking in an English dictionary for the definition of a Greek word is stupidity at its most high!!!

Do what Christians do,,,show the definition of the Koine Greek word from which "church" was translated in Mt 16:18......and in

You will not do so..because that would prove, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that you are a bald--face liar...

BTW...that definition can be found in your NABre.....
Prove me wrong!!!!!

Worth repeating!!!!
You will not do so..because that would prove, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that you are a bald--face liar...
----------
Typical Hollywood 101: Starc says: Jesus said his Church would be "the light of the world." He then noted that "a city set on a hill cannot be hid" (Matt. 5:14). This means his Church is a visible organization.

He never said "his Church would be "the light of the world"....you are making that up....Here is what He did say about the light of the world:

Mt 5:14 Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid.
Joh 8:12 ¶ Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life.
Joh 9:5 As long as I am in the world, I am the light of the world.

And He made no reference to His church!!!!! It refers to a city as in: a town (properly, with walls, of greater or less size):--city.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#525359 Mar 29, 2014
StarC wrote:
"Observe that in the Bible there are two kinds of religious tradition, human
and divine. Observe that when Christ accused the Pharisees He was referring to "precepts of men"(Mark 7:7), to their human traditions. Christ
wanted divine tradition preserved and honoured because He made it part and parcel of the Christian deposit of faith, as the Apostle Paul affirmed: "Stand fast; and hold the traditions which you have learned, whether by word, or by our epistles." (2 Thess. 2:14. Also see 2 Thes. 3:6). This divine tradition to which Paul refers, this revealed truth which was handed down by word rather than by letter, is the tradition upon which, along with Sacred Scripture, the Catholic Church bases her tenets of faith, as the primitive Christian Fathers affirmed. Wrote St. Augustine: "These traditions of the Christian name, therefore, so numerous, so powerful, and most dear, justly keep a believing man in the Catholic Church." The New Testament itself is a product of Christian tradition. Nowhere in the New Testament is there any mention of a New Testament."
Mr 7:7 Howbeit in vain do they worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.

No where is "tradition" mentioned in that verse....saying that Scripture says one thing when it is actually giving a opposite message clearly shows what you are:

Quote: But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.s you are what is herein taught:

Since: Mar 14

Location hidden

#525360 Mar 29, 2014
StarC wrote:
Jesus said "build my church"
Not Build my churchES.
"Jesus established only one Church, not a collection of differing churches (Lutheran, Baptist, Anglican, and so on). The Bible says the Church is the bride of Christ (Eph. 5:23–32). Jesus can have but one spouse, and his spouse is the Catholic Church.
His Church also teaches just one set of doctrines, which must be the same as those taught by the apostles (Jude 3). This is the unity of belief to which Scripture calls us (Phil. 1:27, 2:2)."
You didn't make it to high school then! Jesus did not found any church! Where in the bible does it say this? YOU are obviously a devil worshipper, a follower of the roman coven, an anti Christ!

Since: Mar 14

Location hidden

#525361 Mar 29, 2014
The Sons of William1690, ARE the people!!!
Sterilise these brides of satan at birth and thereafter hang every last one of the murdering paedophile child raping roman clergy.
Jumper The Wise

Morgantown, KY

#525362 Mar 29, 2014
June VanDerMark wrote:
From the book,“History of Christianity,” by Clyde L. Manschreck … comes the following.
A major agent of change in Western monasticism was Jerome (ca. 347—420), who successfully united the movement with scholarship and service. Although not a great theologian, his passion for asceticism, relics and pilgrimages, his credulity and superstition, and his concern for religious books projected the spirit of medievalism. An angelic vision turned Jerome away from youthful wildness and classical studies to life as a desert hermit near Antioch, where he spent several years studying “God’s books.” When he returned to Antioch, at the urging of many friends he accepted ordination as a presbyter and studied briefly in Constantinople under Gregory of Nazianzus. After the Council of Constantinople in 381 he journeyed to Rome where he served as secretary to Pope Damascus. Damascus commissioned him to make a Latin translation of the Bible, which he did, completing the New Testament between 386 and 391, and the Old in 405. This Vulgate translation encountered opposition but was gradually accepted, and in 1546 the Council of Trent made it the official Roman Catholic Bible.
Bull s#it! June VanDerMark! That was ignorant.All that was was some educated idiot with time on his hands like you.

'Council of Trent' my black azz!

Fort Saint John, Canada

#525363 Mar 29, 2014
Religion always was a treacherous business.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>

Legacy

Jan Hus was a key contributor to Protestantism, whose teachings had a strong influence on the states of Europe and on Martin Luther himself. The Hussite Wars resulted in the Basel Compacts which allowed for a reformed church in the Kingdom of Bohemia—almost a century before such developments would take place in the Lutheran Reformation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jan_Hus#Famous_f...
Gods R Delusions x Mine

Orlando, FL

#525364 Mar 29, 2014
Jumper The Wise wrote:
<quoted text>Bull s#it! June VanDerMark! That was ignorant.All that was was some educated idiot with time on his hands like you.
'Council of Trent' my black azz!
lol, the educated idiot was busier than you or me it seems

Clyde L. Manschreck Biographical Information

Chavanne Professor of Religious Studies, Rice University, Houston, Texas.

Emeritus Professor of the History of Christianity, Chicago Theological Seminary.

Editor of Melanchthon on Christian Doctrine and others.

And here you and I are on Topix.

Come to the lite

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
topic sex forum gone? 1 min Grapes1756 59
How To Download Facebook and YouTube Videos in HD 4 min Splits9298 2
Females add bigcockthick on Snapchat 8 min Desirezzzz466 8
Royal Holiday Timeshare Fraud 11 min Charm2176 2
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 12 min UIDIOTRACEMAKEWOR... 184,667
Why do we live life when we have to die anyway? (Jul '13) 15 min LovePotion4470 282
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 18 min Cuddles6778 19,229
Queen Cleopatra was clearly Black. White people... (Aug '10) 25 min gundee123 1,226
my cousin touches me when i am asleep and i kin... (Mar '14) 1 hr Glitter7145 63
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 1 hr karl44 87,900
More from around the web