Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 690470 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Dust Storm

Minneapolis, MN

#520348 Mar 11, 2014
Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>
Let me repeat yet again:
There is no transcript from that debate.
Your YouTube "reenactment" is not a reenactment.
It is an invention.
There *is* a transcript from the trial.
I have posted part of it.
Darrow shreds Bryan.
http://www.chesterton.org/discover-chesterton...

The transcripts of the scopes trial are irrelevant to the point. They only apply that Darrow tried to use such nonsense against Chesterton. No there isn't a transcript. What was shown is a dramatic re-enactment of Darrow and Chesterton. Chesterton would use the same arguments in other writings and the enactment was merely a recall of parties who were at the event and the descriptions of Darrows behaviour. You do know what drama is don't you? Apparently not. The point made is that Darrow lost badly against Chesterton. The point made is that is that the tactics used by Darrow against scopes would not work on Catholics. If you want to argue with a literal fundamentalist then stick with Ox. If you want to debate with Chesterton then one needs to understand the Catholic position, which is not applicable to the scopes charade trial.
THE FOLLOWING is excerpted from the February 4, 1931, issue of The Nation. Here Henry Hazlitt gives his impressions of the debate:

In the ballot that followed, the audience voted more than two to one for the defender of the faith, Mr. Chesterton of course, and if the vote was on the relative merits of the two debaters, and not on the question itself, it was surely a very just one. Mr. Chesterton’s argument was like Mr. Chesterton, amiable, courteous, jolly; it was always clever, it was full of nice turns of expression, and altogether a very adroit exhibition by one of the world’s ablest intellectual fencing masters and one of its most charming gentlemen.

Mr. Darrow’s personality, by contrast, seemed rather colorless and certainly very dour. His attitude seemed almost surly; he slurred his words; the rise and fall of his voice was sometimes heavily melodramatic, and his argument was conducted on an amazingly low intellectual level.

Ostensibly the defender of science against Mr. Chesterton, he obviously knew much less about science than Mr. Chesterton did; when he essayed to answer his opponent on the views of Eddington and Jeans, it was patent that he did not have the remotest conception of what the new physics was all about. His victory over Mr. Byran at Dayton had been too cheap and easy; he remembered it not wisely but too well. His arguments are still the arguments of the village atheist of the Ingersoll period; at Mecca Temple he still seemed to be trying to shock and convince yokels.

Mr. Chesterton’s deportment was irreproachable, but I am sure that he was secretly unhappy. He had been on the platform many times against George Bernard Shaw. This opponent could not extend his powers. He was not getting his exercise.²

A NOTE ON THE VOTE from an article by Timothy S. Goeglein in Catholic Heritage, Jan-Feb, 1996, p. 28.

At the debate’s close, those in the hall were asked to vote for the man they thought had won the debate. Darrow received 1,022 votes. But Chesterton received 2,359 votes, a decisive win.
Chess Jurist

Columbus, OH

#520349 Mar 11, 2014
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Alice Miller …“THOU SHALT NOT BE AWARE.” Society’s betrayal of the child…….
Fairy Tales
This and similar information awakened in me the image of wise forbears who lived at the beginning of human history. No one could tell me precisely when or where they lived, but it was certain that they possessed great insight into life, which they then transmitted to following generations. Unfortunately, their precious truths became more and more diluted in subsequent generations. I couldn’t understand why this was so. Why were our forebears wiser and better than we are here and now? In early times, God even found the Flood necessary because people had sinned so much and because apparently He couldn’t find a single person besides Noah who had pleased Him with his good sense and good deeds. All this contradicts the assumption that there was more wisdom to be found at the beginning of our history than there is now. I have already indicated in these pages that the wise and famous King Solomon wrote things that can now, thanks to the insights of our own century, be proven to be clearly false. Human history begins with the temptation to want to know, with punishment for being curious, with Abel being favored over Cain, Cain’s jealousy, and a series of bloody deeds. Even as a child I searched in vain for the wise people who were supposed to be found at the beginning of our history.
I'm sure there's lots of good stuff in that post.

But I''m gonna wait for the Reader's Digest version.

“GOD SO LOVED US”

Since: Aug 08

He Gave His SON,JESUS Christ

#520350 Mar 11, 2014
Liam wrote:
Has anyone seen the movie "Son of God"? I did last night. What a stupid movie. It could have been so much better. I can't believe that was the best Jesus actor they could find. And Mary looked like she was born in Finland and took acting lessons from the high school.
I found myself thanking the Lord that they didn't make it another 20 min longer.
I say if they make anymore of these movies, they should begin the story after the Crucifixion. We already seen so many portrayals of the Gospels and passion...how about the book of Acts or the life of Paul? The Apostles all were martyred, save John. I think a good movie would be their lives on the big screen.
Are you kidding ???

I haven't seen the,movie..but the bible,series,they did was not bad...thing is,these are spiritual people bringing the,Son of God to the big screen..as,well as tv ...

Can you imagine,..a child in a,godless,home,..who has,never even heard,of Christ in a good way from school..atheist parents..the media....we have,at least t w o generations and growing like this.....I applaud their effort ...I saw them in an interview..wonderful couple ...

I'd think you'd like them..they ars,Catholic...even Gibson's movie brought a,message..though I wish it had been in modern language....Jesus,suffered for us..

Anything that plants,a seed is good ..and we,trust the Holy Spirit can use it to spark interest in learning more ...

NOT EVERYONE HAS A BENEFIT OF GROWING UP WITH GOD..which is the intent of the evil one and our governments around the world...soon God's,name might be forgotten as it was,in the days,of Noah...sound familiar ????

GOD BLESS THEM BOTH ....and those who contributed .....
Chess Jurist

Columbus, OH

#520351 Mar 11, 2014
Dust Storm wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.chesterton.org/discover-chesterton...
The transcripts of the scopes trial are irrelevant to the point.
No, they are very relevant.

We know what happened in the trial from them.

The lack of transcripts in the later debater with Chesterton and your YouTube source's willingness to invent those events show a basic dishonesty.
Michael

Canada

#520352 Mar 11, 2014
Dust Storm wrote:
<quoted text>
The Hebrew Almah, can also be translated as young woman. The Strong's Hebrew Lexicon notes "there is no instance where it can be proved that almah designates a young woman who is not a virgin."
So Jewish Scribes translated the Septuigant centuries before Jesus was born. Their translation into the Septuigant as parthemos is a precise meaning of Virgin. Who knew that the Jewish Scribes were really Christians who translated centuries after Christs death. Sounds a bit Mikey like. Did you read that in one of the fishwrap publications you are so fond of? lol The End
...,The Jews were never waiting for a son of God. It goes against their belief.........along comes Jesus and his family claiming to be devout practicing Jews.........but there is a problem......Jews don't believe in sons of god. Jesus is claimed to be the son of god and a practicing Jew. Jews do not be believe in people performing miracles, but jew practicing Jesus goes against his belief supposedly performing miracles.

..If there was a Jew named Jesus and he wasn't practicing his faith as he should, he would be considered a rebel or troublemaker, much like the way you feel about me for not practicing my catholic faiths customs/rules/regulations.

....can't have it both ways.
Michael

Canada

#520353 Mar 11, 2014
Chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
instead of dodging, go ahead and share your catholic experience...thanks
....If you are dead right as you claim, why do you ask me to explain?

.go away, I have work to do.

“Evolved hunter/gatherer”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#520354 Mar 11, 2014
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Alice Miller …“THOU SHALT NOT BE AWARE.” Society’s betrayal of the child…….
Fairy Tales
This and similar information awakened in me the image of wise forbears who lived at the beginning of human history. No one could tell me precisely when or where they lived, but it was certain that they possessed great insight into life, which they then transmitted to following generations. Unfortunately, their precious truths became more and more diluted in subsequent generations. I couldn’t understand why this was so. Why were our forebears wiser and better than we are here and now? In early times, God even found the Flood necessary because people had sinned so much and because apparently He couldn’t find a single person besides Noah who had pleased Him with his good sense and good deeds. All this contradicts the assumption that there was more wisdom to be found at the beginning of our history than there is now. I have already indicated in these pages that the wise and famous King Solomon wrote things that can now, thanks to the insights of our own century, be proven to be clearly false. Human history begins with the temptation to want to know, with punishment for being curious, with Abel being favored over Cain, Cain’s jealousy, and a series of bloody deeds. Even as a child I searched in vain for the wise people who were supposed to be found at the beginning of our history.
"I searched in vain for the wise people who were supposed to be found at the beginning of our history."

I am compelled to ask you why you searchso hard for that wisdom? Is it not enough for you to search for your own wisdom gleaned from your own life experience, thought, and observations of all things natural?

"wise and famous King Solomon wrote things that can now, thanks to the insights of our own century, be proven to be clearly false."

Like what for example? Can you give examples of Solomon's supposed false insights?
Chuck

Dublin, OH

#520355 Mar 11, 2014
Michael wrote:
<quoted text>
....If you are dead right as you claim, why do you ask me to explain?
.go away, I have work to do.
ROTFLAU!!! Keep running your cake hole..

Prove me wrong Mikey..tell me your catholic experience.

You say I'm dead wrong...lets see
Michael

Canada

#520356 Mar 11, 2014
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you kidding ???
I haven't seen the,movie..but the bible,series,they did was not bad...thing is,these are spiritual people bringing the,Son of God to the big screen..as,well as tv ...
Can you imagine,..a child in a,godless,home,..who has,never even heard,of Christ in a good way from school..atheist parents..the media....we have,at least t w o generations and growing like this.....I applaud their effort ...I saw them in an interview..wonderful couple ...
I'd think you'd like them..they ars,Catholic...even Gibson's movie brought a,message..though I wish it had been in modern language....Jesus,suffered for us..
Anything that plants,a seed is good ..and we,trust the Holy Spirit can use it to spark interest in learning more ...
NOT EVERYONE HAS A BENEFIT OF GROWING UP WITH GOD..which is the intent of the evil one and our governments around the world...soon God's,name might be forgotten as it was,in the days,of Noah...sound familiar ????
GOD BLESS THEM BOTH ....and those who contributed .....
..If Muslims did a TV series about Allah would you not watch it? Shouldn't you learn about all of our world and what is has to offer?

.....Jesus in the movie was suppose to be a Jew. Jews know nothing of the crucifixion, know nothing of Mary/Joseph, john baptist, and 12 apostles........yet Jesus was a Jew and the Jews who lived then said we know nothing of this Jew as Christians depict him.

...No one from the entire Mediterranean from 4BCE to 30 AD ever recorded anything about this man Christians only claim performed dozens of miracles for thousands of people, followed and lived by thousands more....yet not one word written about this man by anyone.

Something is wrong!
June VanDerMark

Since: Sep 09

Quesnel, Canada

#520357 Mar 11, 2014
Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
"hisself"? Twice?
So, in your considered opinion, where they "right with God"?
Yes ..."his self "... twice!

And I don't believe in the existence of a god, so I don't believe he was right OR wrong with a god.

Martin Luther just wanted to CON-vince his self that he was RIGHT with a god ... BOTH times ... once as a celibate Catholic monk, and the second time as a married Protestant. And he used the same Catholic bible for both opinions.

How handy was THAT???
Michael

Canada

#520358 Mar 11, 2014
Chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
ROTFLAU!!! Keep running your cake hole..
Prove me wrong Mikey..tell me your catholic experience.
You say I'm dead wrong...lets see
I don't ave anything to prove anything to you or anyone else. Theorize all you want.

....you remind me of busy body neighbor who can't stand not knowing everyone's business. Go away neighbor!
June VanDerMark

Quesnel, Canada

#520359 Mar 11, 2014
Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
"I searched in vain for the wise people who were supposed to be found at the beginning of our history."
I am compelled to ask you why you searchso hard for that wisdom? Is it not enough for you to search for your own wisdom gleaned from your own life experience, thought, and observations of all things natural?
"wise and famous King Solomon wrote things that can now, thanks to the insights of our own century, be proven to be clearly false."
Like what for example? Can you give examples of Solomon's supposed false insights?
It was Alice Miller that wrote that dialogue ... not me. You would have to ask her what she meant.

I have my own opinions of what she meant and I might be wrong.
Dust Storm

Minneapolis, MN

#520360 Mar 11, 2014
Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>
No, they are very relevant.
We know what happened in the trial from them.
The lack of transcripts in the later debater with Chesterton and your YouTube source's willingness to invent those events show a basic dishonesty.
No they are not relevant because they dont apply to the Catholic position. So your strawman act remains. As for the re-enactment Darrow Lost the debate badly. That has not been disputed anywhere. If you want to pretend that Darrow didnt try to apply fundamentalist theology then live your lie. However, chestertons summary of the debate clearly puts that fallacy to rest. My point in showing it to Liam was to give perspective on the scopes trial and that Chesterton is not Bryan, but the guy who argues the earth can only be 5,000 years old is Bryan. I dont want any fundamentalist representing what I believe anymore than I want an educator demanding that I have to believe their belief there is no God or his interpretation of what I believe and why.

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#520361 Mar 11, 2014
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
If (according to you) God favors no one ... is that why you left Protestantism to become a Catholic???
You are SUCH a phony.
June

Peace

Its just turning a page in a book. Denominations come and go, as do ideas....A person gets caught up in them, or led to them, and hopefully comes away learning something....

Some people never seem to get past the first page, nor do others go back and enjoy reading a book for a second time....

Peace
June VanDerMark

Quesnel, Canada

#520362 Mar 11, 2014
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you kidding ???
....Jesus,suffered for us..
If Jesus actually lived, he caused the brutality and death of countless Jews at the hands of his fellow Catholics. So I suggest you stop being such a phony in your pretense of worrying your self about one Jew. One Jew by the way that you pretend to love ONLY because you believe he will reward you with bliss in a hereafter.

Shame on YOU!!!

And if you believe that Jesus would have abandoned the Jews, then you should believe he is a chunk of scum. I know that is what I would think of him.

Bunkology
Chess Jurist

Columbus, OH

#520363 Mar 11, 2014
Dust Storm wrote:
<quoted text>
No they are not relevant because they dont apply to the Catholic position....
It does not matter whether they apply to the Catholic position.

What matters is that they are real.

Your "reenactment" is pretend.
Chuck

Dublin, OH

#520364 Mar 11, 2014
Michael wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't ave anything to prove anything to you or anyone else. Theorize all you want.
....you remind me of busy body neighbor who can't stand not knowing everyone's business. Go away neighbor!
You claim I'm wrong about your catholic experience and yet you keep running your mouth and don't prove me wrong.

I can wait.....
June VanDerMark

Quesnel, Canada

#520365 Mar 11, 2014
Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sure there's lots of good stuff in that post.
But I''m gonna wait for the Reader's Digest version.
Which one do think will be the REAL version???

:)

“GOD SO LOVED US”

Since: Aug 08

He Gave His SON,JESUS Christ

#520366 Mar 11, 2014
Michael wrote:
<quoted text>
.......You tell us that NO ONE knows his return date, but somehow you claim it will be soon....... Soon you say!! How do you arrive at........it will be soon, if you tell us no one has a clue when it will be?
.....let me know when the date is getting real close so I can plan for this big event...(lol)..
Soon she says!
There are signs that were prophesied..look to the world..most especially Israel ..
I'd hope to be prepared ..whenever...He could come at any time..BUT he gave us clues to look for ...

However it's,true these could also occur in a century ...or two ..AGAIN
June VanDerMark

Quesnel, Canada

#520367 Mar 11, 2014
Chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
instead of dodging, go ahead and share your catholic experience...thanks
Michael has already shared his experiences of when he was a Catholic.

You must have been busy preaching what "god" was whispering in your ear.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 21 min Nohweh 42,048
Bring the jobs back to the USA! 21 min Johnny 630
*** All Time Favorite Songs *** (Dec '10) 1 hr Uncle Al 4,363
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 2 hr another viewer 989,749
God is REAL - Miracles Happen! (Jun '11) 3 hr Wisdom of Ages 6,598
American Soldiers - Duty, Honor, Country (Jun '11) 5 hr Naturally Wired 39,275
Why are Europeans a race of savages, thieves, a... (Jun '15) 6 hr Rabbis on the Run 129
More from around the web