Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 687140 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

June VanDerMark

Since: Sep 09

Quesnel, Canada

#518486 Mar 1, 2014
guest wrote:
-
once again --
that Catholics and the Muslims are the worst offenders.
-
GEE ... how could we ever tell that you are a Protestant?

:)
OldJG

Rockford, IL

#518487 Mar 1, 2014
OldJG wrote:
LENT APPROVED BY THE OFFICIAL "STATE" RELIGION OF ROME

Lent was not observed by the first century Church! It was first addressed by the church at Rome during the Council of Nicea in AD 325, when Emperor Constantine officially recognized that church as the Roman Empire’s state religion. Any other form of Christianity that held to doctrines contrary to the Roman church was considered an enemy of the state.(To learn more about the history of the true Church, read our book Where Is the True Church?– and Its Incredible History!) In AD 360, the Council of Laodicea officially commanded Lent to be observed.

It became a 40-day period of fasting or abstaining from certain foods.“The emphasis was not so much on the fasting as on the spiritual renewal that the preparation for Easter demanded. It was simply a period marked by fasting, but not necessarily one in which the faithful fasted every day. However, as time went on, more and more emphasis was laid upon fasting…During the early centuries (from the fifth century on especially) the observance of the fast was very strict. Only one meal a day, toward evening, was allowed”(Catholic Encyclopedia).
From the ninth century onward, Lent’s strict rules were relaxed. Greater emphasis was given to performing “penitential works” than to fasting and abstinence. According to the apostolic constitution Poenitemini of Pope Paul IV (Feb. 17, 1966),“abstinence is to be observed on Ash Wednesday and on all Fridays of the year that do not fall on holy days of obligation, and fasting as well as abstinence is to be observed on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday”(Catholic Encyclopedia).

Today, Lent is used for “fasting from sin and from vice…forsaking sin and sinful ways.” It is a season “for penance, which means sorrow for sin and conversion to God.” This tradition teaches that fasting and employing self-discipline during Lent will give a worshiper the “control over himself that he needs to purify his heart and renew his life”(ibid.).
However, the Bible clearly shows that self-control—temperance—comes from having God’s Holy Spirit working in the life of a converted mind (Galatians 5:16-17, 22-23). Fasting—of and by itself—cannot produce godly self-control.

Paul warned against using self-denial as a tool to rely on your own will. He called it “will worship.”“Wherefore if you be dead with Christ from the rudiments of the world, why, as though living in the world, are you subject to ordinances,(touch not; taste not; handle not; which all are to perish with the using;) after the commandments and doctrines of men? Which things have indeed a show of wisdom in will worship, and humility, and neglecting of the body: not in any honor to the satisfying of the flesh”(Colossians 2:20-23).

God did not design fasting as a tool for penance,“beating yourself up” or developing will power:“Is it such a fast that I have chosen? A day for a man to afflict his soul? Is it to bow down his head as a bulrush, and to spread sackcloth and ashes under him? Will you call this a fast, and an acceptable day to the Lord? Is not this the fast that I have chosen? To loose the bands of wickedness, to undo the heavy burdens, and to let the oppressed go free, and that you break every yoke? Is it not to deal your bread to the hungry, and that you bring the poor that are cast out to your house? When you see the naked, that you cover him; and that you hide not yourself from your own flesh?”(Isaiah 58:5-7).

God’s people humble themselves through fasting in order to draw closer to Him—so that they can learn to think and act like Him—so that they can live His way of life in all things (Jeremiah 9:23-24). Fasting (and prayer) helps Christians draw closer to God.
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Does your protestant tradition suggest doing anything in preparation for the annual celebration of Jesus's Resurrection?
Is your Roman Catholic tradition you call lent Biblical?
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#518488 Mar 1, 2014
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
The fact that you believe you will go to heaven means you believe that a creator thinks Catholics are the only ones "worthy." of heaven.
Your brain-cells have gone totally numb from lack of common sense.
I neither said nor believe that Catholics are the only ones "worthy" of heaven. Even you, June VanGollum, may get there. I shall pray for your conversion.:O)
June VanDerMark

Quesnel, Canada

#518489 Mar 1, 2014
guest wrote:
once again --
-
Here's one of your Protestant clergymen.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>

From the book,“A History of Christianity … volume 2 Clyde L. Manschreck, Editor, comes the following………

Through a consistory of six clergymen and twelve laymen, Calvin enforced piety and rules of conduct more in the spirit of the Old than the New Testament. His overall rule was “to glorify God and praise him forever,” and the practical means of achieving this was strict discipline. He could not tolerate anything that seemed to dishonor God of the elect, and he punished drunkenness, profanity and divergent views with severity.

(18) Fines were assessed for not attending church, adulterers were sentenced to death, dancing was punishable by imprisonment, a child was beheaded for striking his parents. And a critic was beheaded for placing a placard on Calvin’s pulpit.
June VanDerMark

Quesnel, Canada

#518490 Mar 1, 2014
guest wrote:
So, doing the Math:
-
If the Catholics sit out the next 1,200 years
-
and the Muslims sit out the next 900 years
-
to allow the Protestants to "catch up" - that would give enough time for the Protestant's murders to equal the other two.
I suggest you keep in mind that all of the first Protestants were Catholics with a new title.
OldJG

Rockford, IL

#518491 Mar 1, 2014
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
I neither said nor believe that Catholics are the only ones "worthy" of heaven. Even you, June VanGollum, may get there. I shall pray for your conversion.:O)
To whom will you pray? Mary? LOL LOL LOL
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#518492 Mar 1, 2014
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
By the way idiot ... do you believe that Jesus was resurrected as a faithful Jew to Judaism, or as a turncoat to Catholicism???
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>
Christianity is very much to blame for this; the notion that salvation is free and may be attained by the idlest, the dullest, the stupidest is understandably very popular with persons who may be so described.
Robertson Davies, man of letters, letter, 18, November 1984, For Your Eye Alone: Letters, 1976-1995 (1999).
I don't think you realize that "Catholicism" isn't a denomination.
June VanDerMark

Quesnel, Canada

#518493 Mar 1, 2014
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
I neither said nor believe that Catholics are the only ones "worthy" of heaven.
So then do you believe that the Protestants are worthy of heaven, and the Jews and the Hindus and the Muslims and the Wiccans ... that is ... without first becoming Catholic???

Come on liar! Let's see you back-peddle.

You claim to have the only truth from God, so you must believe that all other religions are NOT true. And if they are not true ... then your math equates to the idea that all those high numbers will end up in hell ... RIGHT???

United States

#518494 Mar 1, 2014
guest wrote:
once again --
-
-
June VanDerMark wrote:
Here's one of your Protestant clergymen.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>
From the book,“A History of Christianity … volume 2 Clyde L. Manschreck, Editor, comes the following………
Through a consistory of six clergymen and twelve laymen, Calvin enforced piety and rules of conduct more in the spirit of the Old than the New Testament. His overall rule was “to glorify God and praise him forever,” and the practical means of achieving this was strict discipline. He could not tolerate anything that seemed to dishonor God of the elect, and he punished drunkenness, profanity and divergent views with severity.
(18) Fines were assessed for not attending church, adulterers were sentenced to death, dancing was punishable by imprisonment, a child was beheaded for striking his parents. And a critic was beheaded for placing a placard on Calvin’s pulpit.
-
-
I don't belong to a church is guilty of murdering its errant followers.
-
I was telling you that the Protestants have a lot of murdering to do, if they desire to equal that of the Catholics or the Muslims.
-
do the math
and when Protestants have murdered just as many people as the Muslims or Catholics, then you will have a valid argument.
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#518495 Mar 1, 2014
OldJG wrote:
OldJG wrote:
LENT APPROVED BY THE OFFICIAL "STATE" RELIGION OF ROME
Lent was not observed by the first century Church! It was first addressed by the church at Rome during the Council of Nicea in AD 325, when Emperor Constantine officially recognized that church as the Roman Empire’s state religion. Any other form of Christianity that held to doctrines contrary to the Roman church was considered an enemy of the state.(To learn more about the history of the true Church, read our book Where Is the True Church?– and Its Incredible History!) In AD 360, the Council of Laodicea officially commanded Lent to be observed.
It became a 40-day period of fasting or abstaining from certain foods.“The emphasis was not so much on the fasting as on the spiritual renewal that the preparation for Easter demanded. It was simply a period marked by fasting, but not necessarily one in which the faithful fasted every day. However, as time went on, more and more emphasis was laid upon fasting…During the early centuries (from the fifth century on especially) the observance of the fast was very strict. Only one meal a day, toward evening, was allowed”(Catholic Encyclopedia).
From the ninth century onward, Lent’s strict rules were relaxed. Greater emphasis was given to performing “penitential works” than to fasting and abstinence. According to the apostolic constitution Poenitemini of Pope Paul IV (Feb. 17, 1966),“abstinence is to be observed on Ash Wednesday and on all Fridays of the year that do not fall on holy days of obligation, and fasting as well as abstinence is to be observed on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday”(Catholic Encyclopedia).
Today, Lent is used for “fasting from sin and from vice…forsaking sin and sinful ways.” It is a season “for penance, which means sorrow for sin and conversion to God.” This tradition teaches that fasting and employing self-discipline during Lent will give a worshiper the “control over himself that he needs to purify his heart and renew his life”(ibid.).
However, the Bible clearly shows that self-control—temperance—comes from having God’s Holy Spirit working in the life of a converted mind (Galatians 5:16-17, 22-23). Fasting—of and by itself—cannot produce godly self-control.
Paul warned against using self-denial as a tool to rely on your own will. He called it “will worship.”“Wherefore if you be dead with Christ from the rudiments of the world, why, as though living in the world, are you subject to ordinances,(touch not; taste not; handle not; which all are to perish with the using;) after the commandments and doctrines of men? Which things have indeed a show of wisdom in will worship, and humility, and neglecting of the body: not in any honor to the satisfying of the flesh”(Colossians 2:20-23).
God did not design fasting as a tool for penance,“beating yourself up” or developing will power:“Is it such a fast that I have chosen? A day for a man to afflict his soul? Is it to bow down his head as a bulrush, and to spread sackcloth and ashes under him? Will you call this a fast, and an acceptable day to the Lord? Is not this the fast that I have chosen? To loose the bands of wickedness, to undo the heavy burdens, and to let the oppressed go free, and that you break every yoke? Is it not to deal your bread to the hungry, and that you bring the poor that are cast out to your house? When you see the naked, that you cover him; and that you hide not yourself from your own flesh?”(Isaiah 58:5-7).
God’s people humble themselves through fasting in order to draw closer to Him—so that they can learn to think and act like Him—so that they can live His way of life in all things (Jeremiah 9:23-24). Fasting (and prayer) helps Christians draw closer to God.
<quoted text>
Is your Roman Catholic tradition you call lent Biblical?
Yes, everything we do in observance of the Lenten season is biblical.

Do you guys do anything?
June VanDerMark

Quesnel, Canada

#518496 Mar 1, 2014
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think you realize that "Catholicism" isn't a denomination.
Just because it was the first to take the title Christian, doesn't mean it did not become a denomination when other groups chose to climb on the Christian band-wagon of lies.

Now, it is just one denomination of many.
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#518497 Mar 1, 2014
OldJG wrote:
<quoted text>
To whom will you pray? Mary? LOL LOL LOL
To my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. And maybe His Blessed Mother.
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#518498 Mar 1, 2014
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
So then do you believe that the Protestants are worthy of heaven, and the Jews and the Hindus and the Muslims and the Wiccans ... that is ... without first becoming Catholic???
Come on liar! Let's see you back-peddle.
You claim to have the only truth from God, so you must believe that all other religions are NOT true. And if they are not true ... then your math equates to the idea that all those high numbers will end up in hell ... RIGHT???
Wrong. I am not their judge.

United States

#518499 Mar 1, 2014
guest wrote:
So, doing the Math:
-
If the Catholics sit out the next 1,200 years
-
and the Muslims sit out the next 900 years
-
to allow the Protestants to "catch up" - that would give enough time for the Protestant's murders to equal the other two.
-
-
June VanDerMark wrote:
I suggest you keep in mind that all of the first Protestants were Catholics with a new title.
-
LOL
By that token, then everyone alive are Atheists with new titles.
June VanDerMark

Quesnel, Canada

#518500 Mar 1, 2014
I suggest you keep in mind that Ignatius a Catholic first used the word Christian ... not a supposed savior named Jesus Christ.

Not one word was ever written in first person ... not one signature by a supposed learned savior ... who was supposed to be the most intelligent, literate man ever to come to earth.

Bunkology.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>>

An important milestone into development of Christian self-consciousness or Christian self-identity will be the emergence of the word "Christianity." This word appears for the first time in the writings of a church thinker of the early 2nd century of our era named Ignatius, who lived in Western Asia Minor, modern day Western Turkey

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows ...

United States

#518501 Mar 1, 2014
except,of course those current calling themselves Atheists.
But, you get my drift.
June VanDerMark

Quesnel, Canada

#518502 Mar 1, 2014
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong. I am not their judge.
You are so silly.

You state that Catholics know the whole truth and the only truth from God ... but if you don't know that God only saves Catholics what good is all that truth to you. For that matter, what good is your religion to you???

No good at all!!!

You might as well be a Muslim or "heaven forbid" ... an Atheist.

:)
June VanDerMark

Quesnel, Canada

#518503 Mar 1, 2014
guest wrote:
except,of course those current calling themselves Atheists.
But, you get my drift.
You can keep your "drift."

I don't believe that those in any religion are better off than others.
June VanDerMark

Quesnel, Canada

#518504 Mar 1, 2014
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
To my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. And maybe His Blessed Mother.
I will ask you again ... Do you believe that if Jesus lived that he would have chosen to be resurrected as a Jew faithful to Judaism ... or as a turncoat to Catholicism?
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>

turn·coat noun \-&#716;k&#333;t\

: a person who stops being a member of a group in order to join another group that opposes it
June VanDerMark

Quesnel, Canada

#518505 Mar 1, 2014
guest wrote:
<quoted text>
-
-
<quoted text>
-
LOL
By that token, then everyone alive are Atheists with new titles.
The first Protestants were all Catholics with new titles.

Some people were raised as Atheists, and some such as my self became Atheists later by choice.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 2 hr Aerobatty 987,071
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing 3 hr Mr Wiggley 30,564
Any horny girls with snapchat looking for fun (Oct '16) 7 hr skurrrrallla 14
Girl snapchat names (Feb '15) 7 hr meetsnapgirls 3
Looking for girls to snapchat 7 hr meetsnapgirls 4
NO 1 black and white dating site in US (Oct '12) 8 hr sinlin 4
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 9 hr Seentheotherside 619,787
More from around the web