Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 688772 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#518465 Mar 1, 2014
ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
I fully agree. However, it seemed to me that he was certain, especially since he went on to critique "the Church's assessment testing" as if what he'd read was legitimate, which is why I reacted so strongly. I didn't see any retraction until after I had commented, or any indication that he was indeed questioning or doubtful of what he'd read. I have to wonder if any of us would have done the same if it was the Orthodox Church? O really anywhere else? Would we be so *eager* to accept the first thing we read, especially from such a dubious source? I've not seen it from any of us to date. Again, I hope you're right about him, but what do I know, I'm nothing more than a contemptible lunatic and a witch (no personal insults there, right?). Something is very wrong with this picture.
I hope so too. I try my best to give the benefit of the doubt, if they're not honest about their sincerity, I must leave that between them and God. I think the name calling is terrible, I wish it would stop.
ReginaM

Toms River, NJ

#518466 Mar 1, 2014
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Fat Tuesday doesn't seem as appealing somehow as Shrove Tuesday.
:)
The term Mardi Gras is French for Fat Tuesday, referring to the practice of the last night of eating richer, fatty foods before the ritual fasting of the Lenten season, which begins on Ash Wednesday.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shrove_Tuesday
That's the reason for the "pancakes", although I think they're more like crepes. I've never made them but I think we're supposed to throw in all our leftovers and rich foods as a way to get rid of them. I'm with you, I like "Shrove" better too!
OldJG

Rockford, IL

#518467 Mar 1, 2014
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Next Wednesday Lent starts. What an opportunity it is for us in our personal lives (and here on the board!)
†
THE ANCIENT ROOTS OF LENT

Coming from the Anglo-Saxon Lencten, meaning “spring,” Lent originated in the ancient Babylonian mystery religion.“The forty days abstinence of Lent was directly borrowed from the worshipers of the Babylonian goddess…Among the Pagans this Lent seems to have been an indispensable preliminary to the great annual festival in commemoration of the death and resurrection of Tammuz…”(The Two Babylons).

Tammuz was the false Messiah of the Babylonians—a satanic counterfeit of Jesus Christ!

The Feast of Tammuz was usually celebrated in June (also called the “month of the festival of Tammuz”). Lent was held 40 days before the feast,“celebrated by alternate weeping and rejoicing”(ibid.). This is why Lent means “spring”; it took place from spring to early summer.

The Bible records ancient Judah worshiping this false Messiah:“Then He brought me to the door of the gate of the Lord’s house which was toward the north; and, behold, there sat women weeping for Tammuz”(Ezekiel 8:14). This was a great abomination in God’s eyes!

But why did the church at Rome institute such a pagan holiday?

“To conciliate the Pagans to nominal Christianity, Rome, pursuing its usual policy, took measures to get the Christian and Pagan festivals amalgamated, and, by a complicated but skillful adjustment of the calendar, it was found no difficult matter, in general, to get Paganism and Christianity—now far sunk in idolatry—in this as in so many other things, to shake hands”(The Two Babylons).

The Roman church replaced Passover with Easter, moving the pagan Feast of Tammuz to early spring,“Christianizing” it. Lent moved with it.

“This change of the calendar in regard to Easter was attended with momentous consequences. It brought into the Church the grossest corruption and the rankest superstition in connection with the abstinence of Lent”(ibid.).

Before giving up personal sins and vices during Lent, the pagans held a wild,“anything goes” celebration to make sure that they got in their share of debaucheries and perversities—what the world celebrates as Mardi Gras today.

LENT IS AN ABOMINATION MASKED AS CHRISTIANITY

God is not the author of confusion (I Corinthians 14:33). He never instituted Lent, a pagan observance connecting debauchery to the supposed resurrection of a false Messiah.

God commands His people to follow Him—not the traditions of men. God’s ways are higher—better than man’s (Isaiah 55:8-9). Men cannot determine for themselves right from wrong or how to properly worship God. Why? Because “The heart [mind] is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked”(Jeremiah 17:9), and “the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man that walks to direct his steps”(10:23). God designed us and gave us life. He teaches how we are supposed to worship Him.

To be a Christian and properly serve God, you must live “by every word that proceeds out of the mouth of God”(Matthew 4:4), recognizing that His Holy Scriptures “cannot be broken”(John 10:35).

God commands Christians to flee from the pagan traditions and customs of this world (Revelation 18:2-4), currently led and deceived by Satan the devil (II Corinthians 4:4; Revelation 12:9).

Lent may seem like a sincere, heartfelt religious observance. But it is deeply rooted in pagan ideas that counterfeit God’s Plan. God hates all pagan observances (Jeremiah 10:2-5; Leviticus 18:3, 30; Deuteronomy 7:1-5, 16). They cannot be “Christianized” or made clean by men. This includes Lent.

http://realtruth.org/articles/115-ttmol.html
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#518468 Mar 1, 2014
Michael wrote:
<quoted text>
,,,I do give a crap, but when you pull this stunt several times a year with posters then offer your olive branch a couple days later, when will you learn your lesson?. It wasn't two months ago you did the same thing to Nick. You can't just keep saying you're sorry, you have to correct your attitude.
....We all make mistakes, hopefully after a couple times we learn to change our ways.
I wish I was perfect like you Mike. The rest of us keep trying and trying until eventually, by God's grace, we hopefully get it right.
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#518470 Mar 1, 2014
ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
Indeed! I'm in the preparing to prepare stage right now (lol), although there's not much time left and am hoping to have something of a plan in place this weekend. I like to use it as just a guideline. This board isn't helping, that's for sure. We have to forgive and love everyone or else none of it is good, it's all or nothing. And we have to ask forgiveness of everyone. Again, all or nothing, we don't get to pick and choose. It's a beautiful season, Anthony, and tremendous gratitude comes to mind and heart.
We're all running the race together. I thank God everyday for those who help me along and for giving me the honor of helping others along. Maybe He's testing us on this forum? ;O)
ReginaM

Toms River, NJ

#518471 Mar 1, 2014
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
I hope so too. I try my best to give the benefit of the doubt, if they're not honest about their sincerity, I must leave that between them and God. I think the name calling is terrible, I wish it would stop.
Yeah, me too (obviously). I guess they need a scapegoat, a dumping ground for their bile. Much easier to do that then to look within. We're not supposed to return insult for insult, but I'm not their dump, Anthony. I remember what you said, that when they insult and ridicule me that they're doing it to you and the others as well, that you feel it just as keenly, and of course you're right as we're one body. Along with forgiveness they require my pity.

Thank you.
+

United States

#518472 Mar 1, 2014
June VanDerMark wrote:
BATON ROUGE - A local minister was booked into jail in connection with a sex sting, records show.
According to an arrest warrant, Rev. Alfred Prellop, 61, was arrested after allegedly soliciting sex from an undercover Sheriff's Office deputy, but was not booked that day because the jail was full. Prellop, a minister at Trinity Lutheran Church for the last 28 years, said he would not comment publicly on his arrest. More than a dozen other men were arrested in the three-day sting operation. 10/28/99
-
-
guest wrote:
What does this have to do with the Catholic Church claiming to be the only true church?
-
-
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
It has to do with the idea that the Catholic church is not the only one that covered up for molestations, as you and other Protestants like to claim is of the utmost importance.
By the way, what are you (a Protestant) doing on a Catholic thread???
-
-
I used to be Catholic. What are YOU an atheist doing on a Catholic thread?
-
and as for covering up for molestations? first, your cited situation is not one of a molestation. It was of a clergy man soliciting someone he believed was a prostitute, but it turns out it was an undercover cop. Big difference. And it has nothing to do with molestation. So why make it so?
I am sure there are plenty of those types of situations where Catholic Priests "solicited" undercover cops ... but those rarely make the front page news because there are FAR MORE reports of priests and Catholic Clergy "soliciting" little boys.
Or should we say RAPING little boys. Raping is, in this situation, by far the more accurate term when it comes to altar boys because the little boys are not in it for the money.
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#518473 Mar 1, 2014
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
I post about not believing in hell because I want to encourage other people that when you preach about hell, it's because you believe they will go there and you will go to heaven.
I hope they can see how silly you are, so they won't believe you.
I believe neither of those things. I have faith in the promise of Jesus my Savior that I will go to heaven. I also have hope that those who don't will change before they die. I try my best to practice charity and love others as Jesus asks me because I love Him.

Do I believe there is Heaven and Hell? Yes. But I'm certainly not sending anyone to either place.
OldJG

Rockford, IL

#518474 Mar 1, 2014
LENT APPROVED BY THE OFFICIAL "STATE" RELIGION OF ROME

Lent was not observed by the first century Church! It was first addressed by the church at Rome during the Council of Nicea in AD 325, when Emperor Constantine officially recognized that church as the Roman Empire’s state religion. Any other form of Christianity that held to doctrines contrary to the Roman church was considered an enemy of the state.(To learn more about the history of the true Church, read our book Where Is the True Church?– and Its Incredible History!) In AD 360, the Council of Laodicea officially commanded Lent to be observed.

It became a 40-day period of fasting or abstaining from certain foods.“The emphasis was not so much on the fasting as on the spiritual renewal that the preparation for Easter demanded. It was simply a period marked by fasting, but not necessarily one in which the faithful fasted every day. However, as time went on, more and more emphasis was laid upon fasting…During the early centuries (from the fifth century on especially) the observance of the fast was very strict. Only one meal a day, toward evening, was allowed”(Catholic Encyclopedia).

From the ninth century onward, Lent’s strict rules were relaxed. Greater emphasis was given to performing “penitential works” than to fasting and abstinence. According to the apostolic constitution Poenitemini of Pope Paul IV (Feb. 17, 1966),“abstinence is to be observed on Ash Wednesday and on all Fridays of the year that do not fall on holy days of obligation, and fasting as well as abstinence is to be observed on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday”(Catholic Encyclopedia).

Today, Lent is used for “fasting from sin and from vice…forsaking sin and sinful ways.” It is a season “for penance, which means sorrow for sin and conversion to God.” This tradition teaches that fasting and employing self-discipline during Lent will give a worshiper the “control over himself that he needs to purify his heart and renew his life”(ibid.).

However, the Bible clearly shows that self-control—temperance—comes from having God’s Holy Spirit working in the life of a converted mind (Galatians 5:16-17, 22-23). Fasting—of and by itself—cannot produce godly self-control.

Paul warned against using self-denial as a tool to rely on your own will. He called it “will worship.”“Wherefore if you be dead with Christ from the rudiments of the world, why, as though living in the world, are you subject to ordinances,(touch not; taste not; handle not; which all are to perish with the using;) after the commandments and doctrines of men? Which things have indeed a show of wisdom in will worship, and humility, and neglecting of the body: not in any honor to the satisfying of the flesh”(Colossians 2:20-23).

God did not design fasting as a tool for penance,“beating yourself up” or developing will power:“Is it such a fast that I have chosen? A day for a man to afflict his soul? Is it to bow down his head as a bulrush, and to spread sackcloth and ashes under him? Will you call this a fast, and an acceptable day to the Lord? Is not this the fast that I have chosen? To loose the bands of wickedness, to undo the heavy burdens, and to let the oppressed go free, and that you break every yoke? Is it not to deal your bread to the hungry, and that you bring the poor that are cast out to your house? When you see the naked, that you cover him; and that you hide not yourself from your own flesh?”(Isaiah 58:5-7).

God’s people humble themselves through fasting in order to draw closer to Him—so that they can learn to think and act like Him—so that they can live His way of life in all things (Jeremiah 9:23-24). Fasting (and prayer) helps Christians draw closer to God.
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#518475 Mar 1, 2014
ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, me too (obviously). I guess they need a scapegoat, a dumping ground for their bile. Much easier to do that then to look within. We're not supposed to return insult for insult, but I'm not their dump, Anthony. I remember what you said, that when they insult and ridicule me that they're doing it to you and the others as well, that you feel it just as keenly, and of course you're right as we're one body. Along with forgiveness they require my pity.
Thank you.
+
1 Cor., chapter 13.

†
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#518476 Mar 1, 2014
OldJG wrote:
Lent was not observed by the first century Church! It was first addressed by the church at Rome during the Council of Nicea in AD 325, when Emperor Constantine officially recognized that church as the Roman Empire’s state religion. Any other form of Christianity that held to doctrines contrary to the Roman church was considered an enemy of the state.(To learn more about the history of the true Church, read our book Where Is the True Church?– and Its Incredible History!) In AD 360, the Council of Laodicea officially commanded Lent to be observed.
It became a 40-day period of fasting or abstaining from certain foods.“The emphasis was not so much on the fasting as on the spiritual renewal that the preparation for Easter demanded. It was simply a period marked by fasting, but not necessarily one in which the faithful fasted every day. However, as time went on, more and more emphasis was laid upon fasting…During the early centuries (from the fifth century on especially) the observance of the fast was very strict. Only one meal a day, toward evening, was allowed”(Catholic Encyclopedia).
From the ninth century onward, Lent’s strict rules were relaxed. Greater emphasis was given to performing “penitential works” than to fasting and abstinence. According to the apostolic constitution Poenitemini of Pope Paul IV (Feb. 17, 1966),“abstinence is to be observed on Ash Wednesday and on all Fridays of the year that do not fall on holy days of obligation, and fasting as well as abstinence is to be observed on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday”(Catholic Encyclopedia).
Today, Lent is used for “fasting from sin and from vice…forsaking sin and sinful ways.” It is a season “for penance, which means sorrow for sin and conversion to God.” This tradition teaches that fasting and employing self-discipline during Lent will give a worshiper the “control over himself that he needs to purify his heart and renew his life”(ibid.).
However, the Bible clearly shows that self-control—temperance—comes from having God’s Holy Spirit working in the life of a converted mind (Galatians 5:16-17, 22-23). Fasting—of and by itself—cannot produce godly self-control.
Paul warned against using self-denial as a tool to rely on your own will. He called it “will worship.”“Wherefore if you be dead with Christ from the rudiments of the world, why, as though living in the world, are you subject to ordinances,(touch not; taste not; handle not; which all are to perish with the using;) after the commandments and doctrines of men? Which things have indeed a show of wisdom in will worship, and humility, and neglecting of the body: not in any honor to the satisfying of the flesh”(Colossians 2:20-23).
God did not design fasting as a tool for penance,“beating yourself up” or developing will power:“Is it such a fast that I have chosen? A day for a man to afflict his soul? Is it to bow down his head as a bulrush, and to spread sackcloth and ashes under him? Will you call this a fast, and an acceptable day to the Lord? Is not this the fast that I have chosen? To loose the bands of wickedness, to undo the heavy burdens, and to let the oppressed go free, and that you break every yoke? Is it not to deal your bread to the hungry, and that you bring the poor that are cast out to your house? When you see the naked, that you cover him; and that you hide not yourself from your own flesh?”(Isaiah 58:5-7).
God’s people humble themselves through fasting in order to draw closer to Him—so that they can learn to think and act like Him—so that they can live His way of life in all things (Jeremiah 9:23-24). Fasting (and prayer) helps Christians draw closer to God.
Does your protestant tradition suggest doing anything in preparation for the annual celebration of Jesus's Resurrection?
June VanDerMark

Since: Sep 09

Quesnel, Canada

#518477 Mar 1, 2014
guest wrote:
<quoted text>
-
-
<quoted text>
-
-
eh ... I'd say the Catholics have pretty much worked this out of their system and the Protestants never had it to the same degree as did the Catholics or Muslims.
- but of the three groups, the Catholics and the Muslims are, by far, the worst offenders.
By the time the Protestants came on the scene, shortly after, law of separation of church and state came into being, and that stopped the legal killing in the name of religion in America.

The Protestants were not any more sane than any other group of religious fanatics, as it was the Protestants that started the witch hunts in Salem.

Why must you people always point outward at others as sinners and never your selves.

Sickening.
June VanDerMark

Quesnel, Canada

#518478 Mar 1, 2014
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Does your protestant tradition suggest doing anything in preparation for the annual celebration of Jesus's Resurrection?
By the way idiot ... do you believe that Jesus was resurrected as a faithful Jew to Judaism, or as a turncoat to Catholicism???
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>

Christianity is very much to blame for this; the notion that salvation is free and may be attained by the idlest, the dullest, the stupidest is understandably very popular with persons who may be so described.

Robertson Davies, man of letters, letter, 18, November 1984, For Your Eye Alone: Letters, 1976-1995 (1999).
June VanDerMark

Quesnel, Canada

#518479 Mar 1, 2014
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe neither of those things. I have faith in the promise of Jesus my Savior that I will go to heaven. I also have hope that those who don't will change before they die. I try my best to practice charity and love others as Jesus asks me because I love Him.
Do I believe there is Heaven and Hell? Yes. But I'm certainly not sending anyone to either place.
The fact that you believe you will go to heaven means you believe that a creator thinks Catholics are the only ones "worthy." of heaven.

Your brain-cells have gone totally numb from lack of common sense.
ReginaM

Toms River, NJ

#518480 Mar 1, 2014
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
1 Cor., chapter 13.
†
Lord knows it can be a struggle at times. I tend to identify with St. Nicholas at Nicea, lol!

;)

And thank you for the acknowledgement.
Jumper The Wise

Morgantown, KY

#518481 Mar 1, 2014
Where does she get this stuff?

United States

#518482 Mar 1, 2014
guest wrote:
-
-
eh ... I'd say the Catholics have pretty much worked this out of their system and the Protestants never had it to the same degree as did the Catholics or Muslims.
- but of the three groups, the Catholics and the Muslims are, by far, the worst offenders.
-
-
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
By the time the Protestants came on the scene, shortly after, law of separation of church and state came into being, and that stopped the legal killing in the name of religion in America.
The Protestants were not any more sane than any other group of religious fanatics, as it was the Protestants that started the witch hunts in Salem.
Why must you people always point outward at others as sinners and never your selves.
Sickening.
-
once again --
that Catholics and the Muslims are the worst offenders.
-
The Catholics had a 300 year start on the Muslims and a 1200 year start on the Protestants.
-
The Protestants have a lot of blood to shed before they even come close to the carnage of those two groups.
June VanDerMark

Quesnel, Canada

#518483 Mar 1, 2014
OldJG wrote:
Lent was not observed by the first century Church!
The first "stages" (pun intended) of Catholicism was almost a duplicate of Judaism. The breakaway was not instantaneous by any means. It was a very gradual process, and I suggest that a savior had nothing to do with the two religions breaking apart.

Catholics were simply disgruntled ex-Jews.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>

From the book,“History of Christianity,” by Clyde L. Manschreck … comes the following …..

Christianity had its birth in Judaism. For a hundred years those within and without Christianity considered it a sect of Judaism, so close were the ties.

United States

#518484 Mar 1, 2014
So, doing the Math:
-
If the Catholics sit out the next 1,200 years
-
and the Muslims sit out the next 900 years
-
to allow the Protestants to "catch up" - that would give enough time for the Protestant's murders to equal the other two.
June VanDerMark

Quesnel, Canada

#518485 Mar 1, 2014
ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
Lord knows it can be a struggle at times. I tend to identify with St. Nicholas at Nicea, lol!
Actually you believe you identify with divinity ... no matter what title you place on it .... whether it is Jesus or God.

It was your arrogance that allowed your brain-cells to go so out of control to your common sense.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 30 min oneear69 121,925
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 42 min Scientistalways 37,083
___End Time ISRAEL -- 2017 FOREWARNINGS___ 45 min oneear69 2
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 1 hr oneear69 988,525
God is REAL - Miracles Happen! (Jun '11) 2 hr Tony 6,548
672,000 gallons of oil spilled off Louisiana co... 7 hr Freakenstein 2
The American Dream is DEAD DEAD DEAD. 7 hr Erratic Mind 8
More from around the web