Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 688877 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Michael

Canada

#513475 Feb 8, 2014
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Right. I know a lot of ex-Catholics. They all reject some or most of the teachings of the Church. Now they go from one protestant community looking for the best fit or they've given up on religion completely. Like I said, smaller and more faithful is much better than large and wishy-washy.
I understand what you mean. If you are devout why have part time catholics coming and going when they want

I am surprised the Vatican hasn't come out with some new policy. If you follow the customs and doctrines of the church you are in. If you don't let us know so we can recalculate our numbers to get a true reading and we will take you off the rolls.

What do you think?
Michael

Canada

#513476 Feb 8, 2014
ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
How do you know "many here are not"? That's rather presumptuous of you.
Do you think those "many" are sinners and the rest aren't?
I don't know about the others, but I think it's fair to say that all the Catholics here take all their sins to confession, receive the Eucharist worthily, attending Mass as often as possible during the week in addition to every Sunday, go to Adoration as often as we can, attend to our prayer lives, and do the best we can to live a good Christian life. I imagine the other Christians do likewise (except, of course, for the confession, Mass, etc.). In a word, we're human.
What would make you think otherwise?
You get kind of testy and defensive quite often. Do you not notice how you respond to posters?

“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#513477 Feb 8, 2014
Hermeneutics Smutics wrote:
<quoted text>
So if you want to win a point you just fabricate that this person believes x or y and then you win your point.( ie I believe everyone else is going to hell). So you know my soteriology, my beliefs re hell, my perception of everyone in this blog,my beliefs on justification, sanctification, and salvation. Amazing gift you have.
Clarabell and Homey the Clown have similar gifts of "knowing" too!
LTM

Marathon, Canada

#513478 Feb 8, 2014
2 Thessalonians 3 &#9658;

King James Bible
Paul's Request for Prayer

1Finally, brethren, pray for us, that the word of the Lord may have free course, and be glorified, even as it is with you: 2And that we may be delivered from unreasonable and wicked men: for all men have not faith. 3But the Lord is faithful, who shall stablish you, and keep you from evil. 4And we have confidence in the Lord touching you, that ye both do and will do the things which we command you. 5And the Lord direct your hearts into the love of God, and into the patient waiting for Christ.

Warning against Idleness

6Now we command you, brethren, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye withdraw yourselves from every brother that walketh disorderly, and not after the tradition which he received of us. 7For yourselves know how ye ought to follow us: for we behaved not ourselves disorderly among you; 8Neither did we eat any man's bread for nought; but wrought with labour and travail night and day, that we might not be chargeable to any of you: 9Not because we have not power, but to make ourselves an ensample unto you to follow us. 10For even when we were with you, this we commanded you, that if any would not work, neither should he eat. 11For we hear that there are some which walk among you disorderly, working not at all, but are busybodies. 12Now them that are such we command and exhort by our Lord Jesus Christ, that with quietness they work, and eat their own bread. 13But ye, brethren, be not weary in well doing.

14And if any man obey not our word by this epistle, note that man, and have no company with him, that he may be ashamed. 15Yet count him not as an enemy, but admonish him as a brother.

Location hidden

#513479 Feb 8, 2014
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
I think it's human nature to respond negatively to constant attacks and misrepresentations of ones faith, particularly when that faith is so tied to who a person is. Christ teaches us to resist our human urges and imitate His Divine love, and not respond with anger. And we are all at different stages of that journey.
Some are below kindergarten level....and will always remain so....and are a liability to their religion, rather than an asset.

Location hidden

#513480 Feb 8, 2014
Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>
Good thing we got June here to enlighten us on real Christianity.
Ya. We could start a cartoon strip with such knowledge.
ReginaM

Toms River, NJ

#513481 Feb 8, 2014
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, I seem to be always taking two steps forward and one step back. Thanks be to God I'm still facing the right direction in my walk.
Just as you told me, Anthony...when it's one of us, it's all of us. None of us is singled out, we're all one Body, we bear each other's burdens, we share each other's joys.
Michael

Canada

#513482 Feb 8, 2014
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
How about "The Lady's HOME Journal?"
:)
Nope!

I don't think so. Modern educated women today who read The Lady's Home Journal are about equality. The catholic church is anti female when it comes to policy making or authority positions in the church.

LTM

Marathon, Canada

#513483 Feb 8, 2014
What is the baptism of the Holy Spirit and when does someone receive it?
In short, we receive the Holy Spirit when we receive Christ as Lord and Savior. Paul says in Romans: "You, however, are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if in fact the Spirit of God dwells in you. Anyone who does not have the Spirit of Christ does not belong to him" (Romans 8:9).
In another epistle, the Apostle states: "In him you also, when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation, and believed in him, were sealed with the promised Holy Spirit, who is the guarantee of our inheritance until we acquire possession of it, to the praise of his glory" (Ephesians 1:13–14). So there is no gap between belief in Christ and the receiving of the Holy Spirit.
However, it should be noted that some have tried to teach what is called the "doctrine of subsequence" or "second work of grace," which states that Christians receive some of the Holy Spirit at the time of salvation and then what is called the "baptism of the Holy Spirit" at some time afterwards. A careful examination of Scripture shows this position to be incorrect.
First, the phrase "baptism of the Holy Spirit" appears nowhere in Scripture. Moreover, there is no place in Scripture where the Holy Spirit does the baptizing. Instead, the Bible clearly portrays Christ as the baptizer: "I [John the Baptist] baptize you with water for repentance, but he who is coming after me is mightier than I, whose sandals I am not worthy to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire" (Matthew 3:11).
Second, while those supporting the teaching of subsequence point to specific episodes in Acts as proof that a secondary baptism occurs among all believers, closer inspection of both the texts and the historical background of the book undoes their position.
In Acts 2, a subsequent baptism with the Holy Spirit is certainly seen; however, this is in keeping with Jesus' previous promise to the disciples in Acts 1:5: "you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit not many days from now." This occurred on Pentecost and was a predominantly Jewish event that inaugurated the Church age.
In Acts 8, the Samaritans, a race deeply despised by the Jews, were added to the Church. While a subsequent baptism with the Holy Spirit is present in the text, the reasons for it are quite evident. It was important for the Jews to see and experience the fact that the Samaritans were included in the Church, and it was important for the Samaritans to know that the Jewish apostles were the channels of divine truth and that they were to be under apostolic authority.
In Acts 10, the Gentiles—Cornelius and those who were with him—were added to the Church. However, it should be noted that a subsequent baptism does not occur; rather, belief and the baptism with the Spirit occur at the same time.
Such is also the case in Acts 19 with a group of those who had only been exposed to John the Baptist's repentance teaching but nothing more. Belief in Christ and the baptism with the Spirit again occur simultaneously.
cont

Location hidden

#513484 Feb 8, 2014
Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>
Good thing June's here to provide insight on ancient Hebrew writings.
I know!
Especially in the fact that we now know the Hebrews never expected a messiah to come forth from among them, and it was all just a concoction of the cathaholics ta make ole' Jesus a god. That's quite an amazing revelation!

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#513485 Feb 8, 2014
ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
You can't answer the question? What would make you think otherwise?
LOL that's my answer
LTM

Marathon, Canada

#513486 Feb 8, 2014
cont
It is important to remember that the genre of Acts is that of historical narrative where Luke is recording an important time of historical spiritual transition. Therefore, a distinction must be made between what is descriptive in Acts vs. what is prescriptive. As one theologian has said, "We must not make the tragic mistake of teaching the experience of the apostles, but rather we must experience the teaching of the apostles."
To be baptized with the Holy Spirit means that Christ places the new believer into the unity of His body and connects him/her with everyone else who also believes in Christ. Baptism with the Spirit makes all believers one. Of this, Paul says, "For in one Spirit we were all baptized into one body—Jews or Greeks, slaves or free—and all were made to drink of one Spirit" (1 Corinthians 12:13).
We must not miss the significance of the past tense expression "were all baptized." There is no state of limbo where a person is saved but not a part of the body of Christ.
While the Scripture never commands Christians to be baptized by, with, or of the Holy Spirit, it does charge them to be filled with the Spirit: "And do not get drunk with wine, for that is debauchery, but be filled with the Spirit" (Ephesians 5:18). But as for the initial gift of the Holy Spirit, that happens at one, and only one, time—at the time of salvation: "There is one body and one Spirit—just as you were called to the one hope that belongs to your call—one Lord, one faith, one baptism" (Ephesians 4:4–5).

Location hidden

#513487 Feb 8, 2014
Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>
June never lets ancient texts get in the way of a good story.
Of course....outhouse prose is always more impotent than them texts is.

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#513488 Feb 8, 2014
ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
You can't answer the question? What would make you think otherwise?
==========

Many of the postings here of those who "follow the rules" "the Catechism" "attend Mass" receive the Eucharist" "go to confession" do not reflect Christ at all.These "Christians" try to hurt people using their "defense of their Church" as a defense.Very prominent is the self deception system-often they use the same to defend themselves as they use to defend their Church .There is very little self examination.Since you used the Catholics as your point, thats whom I addressed.
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#513489 Feb 8, 2014
Seraphima wrote:
<quoted text> Blessings
Thanks.
ReginaM

Toms River, NJ

#513490 Feb 8, 2014
Michael wrote:
<quoted text>
You get kind of testy and defensive quite often. Do you not notice how you respond to posters?
No more often than anyone else; in fact, probably less often than some. You have a very selective memory. As I said, we're all sinners. I let quite a lot go by. But that doesn't fit in with your agenda...or hers. Maybe she's basing it on the way she lives her own life, projecting, but I don't see how she can say such a thing. I guess I can only really speak for myself and I know that I've always brought every problem, every sin to the Church, and that I return to God every time I fall. Like Anthony said, two steps forward, one back. Sometimes it's one step forward and two back. As long as we're going forward....

Going to confession is very important, Mike. One should never be too proud to go to confession.

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#513491 Feb 8, 2014
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text>The difference is I have the (substantiated)historical record to back up the statement, while you have nothing but(unsubstantiated) baseless rhetoric.
If your going to present an argument, at least have some supporting evidence, or you are nothing but a blowhard.
Be careful, my friend, or you'll be labeled a "scholar". Then the real attacks will come
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#513492 Feb 8, 2014
Michael wrote:
<quoted text>
What are the evils of the secular world?
There is no God in the secular world.

“GOD SO LOVED US”

Since: Aug 08

He Gave His SON,JESUS Christ

#513493 Feb 8, 2014
Dearest Father.

We,come,to you again..in humility to praise,you and ask your blessings,do all here,on this,forum.

We,ask for healing for all the families,in here,....some,of us,have,more,needs,than others,...
Please heal us,as you Healed others,who have come to you in the name,of your Son.....as,HE,layed his,hand on those,in the,past.
You know,our need better than we,do...

Please,Father give us,peace in our souls,and keep us,from the anger
Which I know,must displease you ...we,are,your squabbling children ..please,keep evil from us,..

Let us,FORGIVE EACH OTHER as,you forgive us,...

We,pray for salvation for the,world and for those,we care,for who need to feel the,leading of the HOLY Spirit .

We,ask in Jesus,name,...amen
ReginaM

Toms River, NJ

#513494 Feb 8, 2014
Seraphima wrote:
<quoted text> LOL that's my answer
Oh. So then you're just casting the first stone.

Got it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 2 min Cryptic 37,202
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 14 min trifecta1 988,575
Why doesn't God STOP the world's MADNESS and in... 1 hr HFCS - What It Is 6
You are of your father.....the devil 1 hr Devil isnt Real 2
Why are Europeans a race of savages, thieves, a... (Jun '15) 1 hr BobbyX 67
Putin: Hillary Made Up Russian Collusion 3 hr The Henchman 1
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 3 hr Here For Now 619,813
More from around the web