Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Comments (Page 24,689)

Showing posts 493,761 - 493,780 of512,426
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Michael

Hamilton, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2014

hojo wrote:
Jesus One True Church has always been Catholic
The term "catholic" simply means "universal," and when employing it in those early days, St. Ignatius of Antioch and St. Polycarp of Smyrna were referring to the Church that was already "everywhere," as distinguished from whatever sects, schisms or splinter groups might have grown up here and there, in opposition to the Catholic Church.
The term was already understood even then to be an especially fitting name because the Catholic Church was Universal and for everyone, not just for adepts, enthusiasts or the specially initiated who might have been attracted to her.
Again, it was already understood that the Church was "catholic" because -- to adopt a modern expression -- she possessed the fullness of the means of salvation. She also was destined to be "universal" in time as well as in space, and it was to her that applied the promise of Christ to Peter and the other apostles that "the powers of death shall not prevail" against her (Mt 16:18).
The Catechism of the Catholic Church in our own day has concisely summed up all the reasons why the name of the Church of Christ has been the Catholic Church: "The Church is catholic," the Catechism teaches, "[because] she proclaims the fullness of the faith. She bears in herself and administers the totality of the means of salvation. She is sent out to all peoples. She speaks to all men. She encompasses all times. She is 'missionary of her very nature'" (no. 868).
So the name became attached to her for good. By the time of the first ecumenical council of the Church, held at Nicaea in Asia Minor in the year 325 A.D., the bishops of that council were legislating quite naturally in the name of the universal body they called in the Council of Nicaea's official documents "the Catholic Church." As most people know, it was that same council which formulated the basic Creed in which the term "catholic" was retained as one of the four marks of the true Church of Christ. And it is the same name which is to be found in all 16 documents of the twenty-first ecumenical council of the Church, Vatican Council II.
It was still back in the fourth century that St. Cyril of Jerusalem aptly wrote, "Inquire not simply where the Lord's house is, for the sects of the profane also make an attempt to call their own dens the houses of the Lord; nor inquire merely where the church is, but where the Catholic Church is. For this is the peculiar name of this Holy Body, the Mother of all, which is the Spouse of Our Lord Jesus Christ" (Catecheses, xviii, 26).
The same inquiry needs to be made in exactly the same way today, for the name of the true Church of Christ has in no way been changed. It was inevitable that the Catechism of the Catholic Church would adopt the same name today that the Church has had throughout the whole of her very long history.
I don't believe it, and more indoctrinated Christians are leaving organized religion everyday in the Western world.

50 million happy Americans now claim no religion and is growing rapidly. 15 years ago 15 million claimed no religion.

What religion does God belong to? None.

Busted!

Since: Jul 08

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2014

Smith's "Jesus the Magician" is being reissued this summer with a foreword by Ehrman.

A CJ recommended read.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2014

hojo wrote:
<quoted text>
Bible Only "Protestant Propaganda" which you are so famous for Ox!!!
The truth in Scripture is undeniable.....you are a liar...Christ built not your denomination....

You will not respond to the Scripture I quoted...because to do so will verify my words....

Christ referred not to the Catholic church in Rev...because it did not exist as you say....

You will not answer my question....."Whom built the churches" shown in Scripture...multiple times...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2014

Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>
Per GRDBM's request, I forgive you for being a thief -- until I bother reading one of your posts and notice you doing it again.
You are still a lying snake...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2014

Tango Bravo wrote:
<quoted text>
So, as I understand your posts, the English version of the Bible is not to be trusted and it must be back translated into Greek so that it can be re-translated into English that says something different than the current version of the Bible in English so we can all understand the unchanging Word of God and not be misled into false beliefs. You'll pardon me if I cast doubts on your interpretation of the Bible and stick with the one I have in English.
No wonder you were excommunicated for heresy!
Thanks for verifying my words...

"Typical Catholic!!!! Look in the English dictionary for the definition of Kione Greek words!!!!

You have no idea of the meaning of heresy...."

Since: Jul 08

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2014

Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
You are still a lying snake...
Incorrect.

Please provide a permalink.
right

Fremont, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2014

That's right.
OldJG

Rockford, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2014

Liam wrote:
<quoted text>
Second thought, how about you say a prayer for me and I'll say a prayer for you two, so that we both can understand our faith better. k?
Your prayer will be to your god.....your blessed mother Mary.

What a pathetic bunch of Roman Catholics who have had the on active brain cell they have removed via a lobotomy. Pray.....you wouldn't know how to pray on your own if someone had a gun to your head you perverted low-life.
Dust Storm

Pipestone, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2014

Judged:

Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>
Incorrect.
He reminds me of a plastic clown that I had as a kid. You could punch it endlessly with crippling blows and it would come up for more. "When you come to a fork in he road, take it! Yogi Bera

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2014

Tango Bravo wrote:
<quoted text>
So, as I understand your posts, the English version of the Bible is not to be trusted and it must be back translated into Greek so that it can be re-translated into English that says something different than the current version of the Bible in English so we can all understand the unchanging Word of God and not be misled into false beliefs. You'll pardon me if I cast doubts on your interpretation of the Bible and stick with the one I have in English.
No wonder you were excommunicated for heresy!
If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple.

Hate:( From the English dictionary)
a. To feel hostility or animosity toward.
b. To detest.

Tell me that Christ taught we are to feel hostility, detest, and dislike our parents, our relatives, and our own lives, or we cannot be His disciple....
OldJG

Rockford, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2014

Liam wrote:
<quoted text>
That's such a Protestant conspiracy tactic.. It doesn't add up under closer examination.
Only two things come out of Minneapolis/Saint Paul....steers and queers. Strange, I never heard you moo. Just sayin'

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2014

Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>
Incorrect.
It doesn't matter how much you want to continue riding ....beating a dead horse is not going to get you anywhere. If something is already done and over...

Is there something else you want to recuss??

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2014

Liam wrote:
<quoted text>
That's such a Protestant conspiracy tactic.. It doesn't add up under closer examination.
well then take it up with our priest because that is exactly what he said....Its Orthodox teaching also...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2014

Liam wrote:
<quoted text>
Second thought, how about you say a prayer for me and I'll say a prayer for you two, so that we both can understand our faith better. k?
no thanks...I don't waste my prayers on someone that is not sincere...
Husker

Falls City, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2014

Seraphima wrote:
<quoted text>It seems to me that it is you catholics that are insecure since you keep trying to convince the world that you are the Church the Christ founded..the orthodox have no need in bragging. They are secure in their faith...My meaningless opinion..(.beat you to it )
Well we are, history says so, read a history book for a change. And you can't possibly know enough about your religion, You already made several mistakes about your religion on here. You are a protestant and you are just orthodox in name only.
OldJG

Rockford, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2014

hojo wrote:
<quoted text>
Bible Only "Protestant Propaganda" which you are so famous for Ox!!!
Hey homo, take a 4 foot walk on a 3 foot plank. You deserve it!
Husker

Falls City, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2014

Seraphima wrote:
<quoted text> no thanks...I don't waste my prayers on someone that is not sincere...
You have no idea what a Christian is, you are that pathetic. You should pray for everyone, even your enemies. If you don't do this, then don't call yourself religious, or even Christian. Call yourself, pagan.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2014

Dust Storm wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes Liam, he was expressing the sentiments of which have acknowledged by Orthdox in discussion. There was nothing at all arrogant about his statement. He isn't there to agitate. These 2 clowns have no credibility at all and they have never brought anything of value here. Orthodox leaders know they have a huge problem not just in America. The Ravenna Conference was another example of their infighting that caused Hillarion the Russian Representative to leave.
..."SCOBA's Ad Hoc Commission on Unity as reported in the Minutes of the SCOBA Meeting XI in 1970, presented by such lights as Frs. Alexander Schmemann and John Meyendorff, in which just such a hampered missionary witness is predicted,
The Orthodox Church cannot claim to be the true, Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic Church if she is actually divided into a plurality of mutually independent, competing, and overlapping jurisdictions. This division has long ago ceased to be justified by the peculiarities of Orthodox immigration in America, and has become an open scandal to the faithful, a source of demoralization and dissatisfaction in the laity, and an obstacle to any effort or progress.
http://www.orthodoxytoday.org/articles6/Trenh...
Since have have never brought anything of value to this forum I think I will get my Barbie dolls and go home.....Ask any Orthodox Priest and they will tell you that the Orthodox church is the True Church that Christ started....ask them....
Husker

Falls City, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2014

Michael wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't believe it, and more indoctrinated Christians are leaving organized religion everyday in the Western world.
50 million happy Americans now claim no religion and is growing rapidly. 15 years ago 15 million claimed no religion.
What religion does God belong to? None.
Busted!
You are busted. People are leaving because of the secular society we have. More so in the protestant churches. BUT not in my Diocese, not as much, we have a great Bishop and we have great priests.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2014

Husker wrote:
<quoted text> You have no idea what a Christian is, you are that pathetic. You should pray for everyone, even your enemies. If you don't do this, then don't call yourself religious, or even Christian. Call yourself, pagan.
Thank you

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 493,761 - 493,780 of512,426
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

646 Users are viewing the Top Stories Forum right now

Search the Top Stories Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
ye olde village pub (Jun '07) 4 min Hitesrunprincess 52,536
Why Iím no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 6 min waaasssuuup 440,862
Gay Snapchat Names 7 min robertcockmuncher 1,382
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 11 min It aint necessarily so 681,050
teen snapchat nudes 20 min Jasmine 140
American Soldiers - Duty, Honor, Country (Jun '11) 25 min NUTS AMERICA 37,910
100% PROOF Pope Francis is ANTICHRIST_______ 26 min YTubeHeadlines 1
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 28 min Aerobatty 217,345
Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 33 min KiMare 89,643