Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 590373 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

OldJG

Rockford, IL

#511399 Feb 2, 2014
Adolph Hitler was a devout Roman Catholic. I bet you Romans are just busting your buttons over that one. LOL LOL

http://www.remnantofgod.org/NaziRCC.htm
OldJG

Rockford, IL

#511400 Feb 2, 2014
OldJG wrote:
Another Roman from Minnesota. Ya know Dust Storm, only two things come out of Minnesota. Steer and queers. I have never heard you moo. Do you moo for your priest in confession or do you just smile? Just sayin'
Liam wrote:
<quoted text>
This from a guy who apparently thinks he's a deacon because the grand wizard of the
Klu Klux Klan ordained him.
Hey cly, I saw your priest at the KKK meeting. He told me your name was changed by your savior the blessed mary to Ben Dover. Is that your name or is that what you do for your priest in the confessional? Just sayin'
Dust Storm

Pennock, MN

#511401 Feb 2, 2014
Seraphima wrote:
<quoted text>Since have have never brought anything of value to this forum I think I will get my Barbie dolls and go home.....Ask any Orthodox Priest and they will tell you that the Orthodox church is the True Church that Christ started....ask them....
I will help you pack.:) Why would I want to ask a priest what it is so obvious? Did I say the Orthodox church was not valid? NO The response was to the typical knee jerk response which claimed their was an arrogant statement made by a Priest, which was simply putting forth the facts. Facts which are acknowledged by the Patriarchs of your churches, but not you. James Likoudis made mention of this and you did your clown dance and summarily decided that Metropolitan Phillip is a joke and tried to belittle very unsuccessfully Likoudis.

So I posted an article from another Orthodox addressing issues in detail. These are real issues being addressed by an Orthodox and is not to belittle the Orthodox church to make the point that the statement made was somehow arrogant or even remotely untrue. However it is clear that the problems are growing worse amongs the Orthodox and time isnt going to make it go away. Your Patriarchs, Bishops, Priests and laity are so busy being equal that everybody is right. Sounds like the SBC with autonomous churches. If the indiscriminate college of Bishops is the true faith, then we would be Arians if the Eastern model is followed where the vast majority of Eastern Bishops succumbed to. With no source of unity and first among equals a meaningless title with zero authority each claiming ceasar popism over another. So which Orthodox are really Orthodox? It depends on which one you ask unless one is indifferent which was being addressed by the Orthodox in the article.

ReginaM

Toms River, NJ

#511402 Feb 2, 2014
OldJG

Rockford, IL

#511403 Feb 2, 2014
"His Holiness", Pope Stephen VII

This pope "was completely mad. He dug up a Corsican predecessor, Pope Formosus (891-6) when he had been dead for over nine months. In what came to be known as the Cadaveric Synod, he dressed the stinking corpse in full pontificals, placed him on the throne in the Lateran and proceeded to interrogate him personally. Formosus was charged with becoming pope under false pretences; he was bishop of another place, hence ineligible for Rome. According to Pope Stephen, it made all his acts invalid, especially his ordinations. A chattering teenaged deacon replied on Formosus' behalf. After being found guilty, the corpse was condemned as an antipope, stripped of all but a hair-shirt clinging to the withered flesh and, minus the two fingers with which he had given his fake apostolic blessing, was thrown into the Tiber. The body, held together by the hair-shirt like a carcass of meat, was recovered by some of Formosus' admirers and given a quiet burial. Later, it was returned to its tomb in St Peter's. Stephen himself was soon strangled.

Popes maimed and were maimed, killed and were killed. Their lives bore no resemblance to the gospels. They had more in common with modern rich kids turned hooligans and junkies who haunt beach cafés and nightclubs than with Roman pontiffs as the world now sees them. Some owed their preferment to ambitious parents, some to the sword, some to the influence of high-born and beautiful mistresses in what became known as `The Reign of the Harlots'." (p. 48)

Who in his or her right mind believes that when Stephen VII was the current successor to Peter, it was Jesus' intent to proclaim:
"Thou, Stephen VII, art the rock upon which I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven."
Liam

Saint Paul, MN

#511404 Feb 2, 2014
OldJG wrote:
51% of Americans are Protestants, while about 24% are Roman Catholic.
How many Roman Catholic Presidents have served this country? Just sayin'
One.

5% of all the Catholics in the world live in the United States. 5%!! That's it. We are nothing but a blip in here.
Too bad you think the world revolves around you, America and the KJV.

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#511405 Feb 2, 2014
Liam wrote:
<quoted text>
I found this interesting: Although there was an east- west schism, not all eastern Churches sided with the Orthodox Churches. And some came back into communion with the Bishop of Rome at a later date as the reality of the schism hit home.
Maronite Catholics, patriarch is in Antioch, liturgy in Aramaic never split from Rome despite the pressure.
Syriac Catholics came back to the Bishop of Rome in 1781 AD.
Coptic, Egyptian Catholics returned in 1781
Ethiopian Catholics in 1846
Syro- maladese Catholics (originally founded by Thomas the Apostle) came back in the 16th century.
While most Armenian Christians are Orthodox, there are approximately 350,000 Armenians who returned around the 14th century.
www.ewtn.com/expert/answers/catholic_rites_an...
So in a way, the schism has been unraveling since it started. Now with the globalization of Orthodoxy, Muslims no longer block our communications. I think this is the key to dialogue.
Liam I really cant spend enough time here to correct incorrect info and assumptions. There just are too too many. And for the explanation you actually have to read the whole history. However I felt I had to point you in the right direction here. Those Eastern Churches that went with Rome did so for protection.The other Orthos were offered the same deal - ie protection from Rome if they went under the Pope and refused. They knew the consequences. Although the walls of Constantinople were formidable and protected them for many years, it could no longer. The Orthos knew what it would mean- the Ottomans. But they stuck to Orthodoxy. a quote was "better the swords of the Turks than the red shoes of the cardinals".

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#511406 Feb 2, 2014
Dust Storm wrote:
<quoted text>
That only happens to the Eastern Orthodox.
Thank you
Liam

Saint Paul, MN

#511407 Feb 2, 2014
OldJG wrote:
OldJG wrote:
Another Roman from Minnesota. Ya know Dust Storm, only two things come out of Minnesota. Steer and queers. I have never heard you moo. Do you moo for your priest in confession or do you just smile? Just sayin'
<quoted text>
Hey cly, I saw your priest at the KKK meeting. He told me your name was changed by your savior the blessed mary to Ben Dover. Is that your name or is that what you do for your priest in the confessional? Just sayin'
Are you OLDjg or Jr high jg? you're acting like a demons got you today. Serious. Your graphic insults resemble nothing like a Christian. I don't like seeing you have a breakdown. All this proves is you completely lost your argument. Now you're going to throw desperate smear tactics about bad Popes or child abuse. Normally I would call you pathetic for that, but I see a real lost soul.. I get no satisfaction seeing you like this.
OldJG

Rockford, IL

#511408 Feb 2, 2014
OldJG wrote:
51% of Americans are Protestants, while about 24% are Roman Catholic.
How many Roman Catholic Presidents have served this country? Just sayin'
Liam wrote:
<quoted text>
One.
5% of all the Catholics in the world live in the United States. 5%!! That's it. We are nothing but a blip in here.
Too bad you think the world revolves around you, America and the KJV.
Hey Ben, Ben Dover, thank you for quoting the obvious. One President? Why just one Ben? Or should I have said "Mr. Dover"? If 24% of the US population is Roman Catholic why only one President Ben?
Liam

Saint Paul, MN

#511409 Feb 2, 2014
Hermeneutics Smutics wrote:
<quoted text> Liam I really cant spend enough time here to correct incorrect info and assumptions. There just are too too many. And for the explanation you actually have to read the whole history. However I felt I had to point you in the right direction here. Those Eastern Churches that went with Rome did so for protection.The other Orthos were offered the same deal - ie protection from Rome if they went under the Pope and refused. They knew the consequences. Although the walls of Constantinople were formidable and protected them for many years, it could no longer. The Orthos knew what it would mean- the Ottomans. But they stuck to Orthodoxy. a quote was "better the swords of the Turks than the red shoes of the cardinals".
That doesn't make sense. The real protection would be to stay with Orthodoxy rather then go back with Rome. Orthodox regions had Muslim and Turk armies that Rome would need to get through. That wasn't going to happen.
Russian Catholics came back in 1907. Are you telling me they did so for protection too?
I'm going to request a link from you.

Location hidden

#511410 Feb 2, 2014
Dust Storm wrote:
<quoted text>
I will help you pack.:) Why would I want to ask a priest what it is so obvious? Did I say the Orthodox church was not valid? NO The response was to the typical knee jerk response which claimed their was an arrogant statement made by a Priest, which was simply putting forth the facts. Facts which are acknowledged by the Patriarchs of your churches, but not you. James Likoudis made mention of this and you did your clown dance and summarily decided that Metropolitan Phillip is a joke and tried to belittle very unsuccessfully Likoudis.
So I posted an article from another Orthodox addressing issues in detail. These are real issues being addressed by an Orthodox and is not to belittle the Orthodox church to make the point that the statement made was somehow arrogant or even remotely untrue. However it is clear that the problems are growing worse amongs the Orthodox and time isnt going to make it go away. Your Patriarchs, Bishops, Priests and laity are so busy being equal that everybody is right. Sounds like the SBC with autonomous churches. If the indiscriminate college of Bishops is the true faith, then we would be Arians if the Eastern model is followed where the vast majority of Eastern Bishops succumbed to. With no source of unity and first among equals a meaningless title with zero authority each claiming ceasar popism over another. So which Orthodox are really Orthodox? It depends on which one you ask unless one is indifferent which was being addressed by the Orthodox in the article.
Post what you like as long as those who want to know the truth rather than Catholic truth do real research on their own.

It was your Pope who, accused of sexual impropriety and after an assassination attempt, called on the Barbarian Charlemagne for help. Charlemagne came to Rome and defended the Pope.. Then at a Christmas mass, the Pope declared him Emperor of Rome..The ope was deceitful enough that he knew if Charlemagne accepted this from then on the Pope would have the power to appoint Emperors. Charlemagne accepted it.

The Pope basically sold out the faith of the Church.but in return he got secular power. t benefited both of them. Charlemagne could conquer and back the Pope, converting many times by the sword, and the Pope could have secular power.

But Charlemagne also considered himself a student of theology. He began to appoint certain bishops and make some changes in the church and the faith.

The "conversion" the barbarians was not total. They were allowed to keep their old gods for years until they eventually converted. he numbers and the power were important.

I am going to stop now. It just takes too much to correct you and others only to be called names and answered with a couple Ortho quotes from someone who agrees with you.
OldJG

Rockford, IL

#511411 Feb 2, 2014
OldJG wrote:
<quoted text>
Liam wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you OLDjg or Jr high jg? you're acting like a demons got you today. Serious. Your graphic insults resemble nothing like a Christian. I don't like seeing you have a breakdown. All this proves is you completely lost your argument. Now you're going to throw desperate smear tactics about bad Popes or child abuse. Normally I would call you pathetic for that, but I see a real lost soul.. I get no satisfaction seeing you like this.
Actually Mr. Ben Dover, I am sick and tired of the arrogance of the Romans on this forum. Why you are arrogant I have no idea. You are Biblical idiots and historical morons. Why do you find the need to be so arrogant. It must be fear. Are you afraid of the truth? Just sayin'.

Location hidden

#511412 Feb 2, 2014
Husker wrote:
<quoted text> Show your so called facts. I want a laugh tonight. You don't even know world history. Did you finish high school?
You think that being Catholic is quoting some Catholic sites and talking smack like the others do here.I have not responded to your superficial comments and grade school playground insults because I felt sorry for you. Believe me, you are not a genius, so slow down.
Liam

Saint Paul, MN

#511413 Feb 2, 2014
Hermeneutics Smutics wrote:
<quoted text> Liam I really cant spend enough time here to correct incorrect info and assumptions. There just are too too many. And for the explanation you actually have to read the whole history. However I felt I had to point you in the right direction here. Those Eastern Churches that went with Rome did so for protection.The other Orthos were offered the same deal - ie protection from Rome if they went under the Pope and refused. They knew the consequences. Although the walls of Constantinople were formidable and protected them for many years, it could no longer. The Orthos knew what it would mean- the Ottomans. But they stuck to Orthodoxy. a quote was "better the swords of the Turks than the red shoes of the cardinals".
The bottom line is that the Orthodox haven't stopped schism-ing amongst each other since the schism with the west. You say some came back into communion with the Bishop of Rome out of fear? come on, that's just a typical 'sounds good to me' protestant come back. There is no facts behind it. What about the Ethiopian Catholics who crossed back over in 1846? What kinda 'protection' could Rome possibly have offered them??
OldJG

Rockford, IL

#511414 Feb 2, 2014
ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH FATHERS

Twenty-seven of the thirty-two surviving works of Tertullian (160-225), a priest from Carthage who is considered the first theologian of the West, contain anti-Jewish discourse. In De Oratione, for example, he wrote that 'though Israel may wash all its members every day, it is never clean. Its hands ... are always stained, covered forever with the blood of the prophets and of our Lord himself.'

The Alexandrian theologian, Origen (182-251) preached that 'the blood of Jesus falls not only on the Jews of that time, but on all generations of Jews up to the end of the world'. This state of endless and timeless culpability, says Origen, ensures that the Jews, whose 'rejection of Jesus has resulted in their present calamity and exile ... will never be restored to their former condition'.

Saint Cyprian (200-258), Bishop of Carthage, in his three books of Testimonies Against the Jews, cites quotation after quotation from the Old Testament attempting to 'prove' that the case of Christianity against Judaism had been foreseen in that work. This became the norm in Christian anti-Jewish writing. Attacks on the Jews were based an the idea that they are Christ-killers, and were embellished with scriptural passages (mainly out of context) defaming and besmirching Jews. Any Old Testament prophet's condemnation of events in his time would serve as proof that present-day Jews were hypocrites, villains, evil, haters of and rejected by God. Cyprian, who speaks of the Jews as a 'sinful nation, people weighed down with guilt, breed of evil-doers, lawless children', maintains that the only way open to them to atone for their sin is converting to Christianity. There was no salvation for Jews outside the Church. This notion was relaxed only after the Holocaust, in the framework of the Second Vatican Council (Vatican II).

Saint Ephraem Syrus (306-373) calls the Jews the 'circumcised dogs' and 'circumcised vagabonds', and refers to Judaism as a worthless vineyard which cannot bear fruit. In his writing, Ephraem refers to God's punishment for the Jews. Because they reviled Jesus, the Lord has banished them from their land, and now they are condemned to wander over the whole face of the earth.

Saint Gregory of Nyssa (c. 331-396), with wanton eloquence, describes the Jews as 'slayers of the Lord, murderers of the prophets, enemies of God, haters of God, adversaries of grace, enemies of their fathers' faith, advocates of the devil, brood of vipers, slanderers, scoffers, men of darkened minds, leaven of the Pharisees, congregation of demons, sinners, wicked men, stoners, and haters of goodness - a veritable catalogue for future anti-Semites to pick from.
Liam

Saint Paul, MN

#511415 Feb 2, 2014
OldJG wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually Mr. Ben Dover, I am sick and tired of the arrogance of the Romans on this forum. Why you are arrogant I have no idea. You are Biblical idiots and historical morons. Why do you find the need to be so arrogant. It must be fear. Are you afraid of the truth? Just sayin'.
You've had a terrible day. The Denver Broncos lost and your 9 yr old granddaughter explained to you that the earth is much older than 6,000 yrs.
You wanna speak about arrogance??
Arrogance is ignoring scientific fact.
Arrogance is picking up your Bible and teaching your own Christianity. Does it get anymore arrogant than undoing what the Apostles taught? Can you prove that anyone shared your theology before the 17th century?? That's arrogant!
Liam

Saint Paul, MN

#511416 Feb 2, 2014
OldJG wrote:
ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH FATHERS
Twenty-seven of the thirty-two surviving works of Tertullian (160-225), a priest from Carthage who is considered the first theologian of the West, contain anti-Jewish discourse. In De Oratione, for example, he wrote that 'though Israel may wash all its members every day, it is never clean. Its hands ... are always stained, covered forever with the blood of the prophets and of our Lord himself.'
The Alexandrian theologian, Origen (182-251) preached that 'the blood of Jesus falls not only on the Jews of that time, but on all generations of Jews up to the end of the world'. This state of endless and timeless culpability, says Origen, ensures that the Jews, whose 'rejection of Jesus has resulted in their present calamity and exile ... will never be restored to their former condition'.
Saint Cyprian (200-258), Bishop of Carthage, in his three books of Testimonies Against the Jews, cites quotation after quotation from the Old Testament attempting to 'prove' that the case of Christianity against Judaism had been foreseen in that work. This became the norm in Christian anti-Jewish writing. Attacks on the Jews were based an the idea that they are Christ-killers, and were embellished with scriptural passages (mainly out of context) defaming and besmirching Jews. Any Old Testament prophet's condemnation of events in his time would serve as proof that present-day Jews were hypocrites, villains, evil, haters of and rejected by God. Cyprian, who speaks of the Jews as a 'sinful nation, people weighed down with guilt, breed of evil-doers, lawless children', maintains that the only way open to them to atone for their sin is converting to Christianity. There was no salvation for Jews outside the Church. This notion was relaxed only after the Holocaust, in the framework of the Second Vatican Council (Vatican II).
Saint Ephraem Syrus (306-373) calls the Jews the 'circumcised dogs' and 'circumcised vagabonds', and refers to Judaism as a worthless vineyard which cannot bear fruit. In his writing, Ephraem refers to God's punishment for the Jews. Because they reviled Jesus, the Lord has banished them from their land, and now they are condemned to wander over the whole face of the earth.
Saint Gregory of Nyssa (c. 331-396), with wanton eloquence, describes the Jews as 'slayers of the Lord, murderers of the prophets, enemies of God, haters of God, adversaries of grace, enemies of their fathers' faith, advocates of the devil, brood of vipers, slanderers, scoffers, men of darkened minds, leaven of the Pharisees, congregation of demons, sinners, wicked men, stoners, and haters of goodness - a veritable catalogue for future anti-Semites to pick from.
The Jews systematically persecuted Christians in those days (some 30,000 Catholics were killed in one event)
Did you expect a letter of praise from Origen? your a phony Monday mornin quarterback.
ReginaM

Toms River, NJ

#511417 Feb 2, 2014
Our Monastery of our Lady of the Rosary is in Summit, New Jersey, a bedroom community of New York City and a quick 52 minute train ride from the city.

Summit is a very Catholic city with a small town feel. We began our monastery 94 years ago in 1919. Summit was considered a healthy place to live away from New York. It was touted as the “Denver of the East” for its high altitude!
http://reginamag.com/conversation-cloistered-...

“YESHUA IS LORD”

Since: Apr 07

GAWGIA (GEORGIA)

#511418 Feb 2, 2014
There is a void of true wisdom on this forum. Anyhow,good evening everyone.I'm busier than a one armed man trying to hang wallpaper tonight. I'm expecting a stroke patient from the E.R. in a few so most likely I may not be back with you guys anytime soon tonight.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 6 min Stilgar Fifrawi 839,254
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 15 min Porkpie Hat 271,355
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 34 min janeebee 4,479
9/11&bin 1 hr REV CAROL 1
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 1 hr Mike thunkit 100,018
gay bottom in gurgaon (May '14) 1 hr Havi 103
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 1 hr Epiphany2 612,198
More from around the web