Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 670265 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Liam

Saint Paul, MN

#511415 Feb 2, 2014
OldJG wrote:
Hey cly, I saw your priest at the KKK meeting. He told me your name was changed by your savior the blessed mary to Ben Dover. Is that your name or is that what you do for your priest in the confessional? Just sayin'
<quoted text>
Actually Mr. Ben Dover, I am sick and tired of the arrogance of the Romans on this forum. Why you are arrogant I have no idea. You are Biblical idiots and historical morons. Why do you find the need to be so arrogant. It must be fear. Are you afraid of the truth? Just sayin'.
You've had a terrible day. The Denver Broncos lost and your 9 yr old granddaughter explained to you that the earth is much older than 6,000 yrs.
You wanna speak about arrogance??
Arrogance is ignoring scientific fact.
Arrogance is picking up your Bible and teaching your own Christianity. Does it get anymore arrogant than undoing what the Apostles taught? Can you prove that anyone shared your theology before the 17th century?? That's arrogant!
Liam

Saint Paul, MN

#511416 Feb 2, 2014
OldJG wrote:
ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH FATHERS
Twenty-seven of the thirty-two surviving works of Tertullian (160-225), a priest from Carthage who is considered the first theologian of the West, contain anti-Jewish discourse. In De Oratione, for example, he wrote that 'though Israel may wash all its members every day, it is never clean. Its hands ... are always stained, covered forever with the blood of the prophets and of our Lord himself.'
The Alexandrian theologian, Origen (182-251) preached that 'the blood of Jesus falls not only on the Jews of that time, but on all generations of Jews up to the end of the world'. This state of endless and timeless culpability, says Origen, ensures that the Jews, whose 'rejection of Jesus has resulted in their present calamity and exile ... will never be restored to their former condition'.
Saint Cyprian (200-258), Bishop of Carthage, in his three books of Testimonies Against the Jews, cites quotation after quotation from the Old Testament attempting to 'prove' that the case of Christianity against Judaism had been foreseen in that work. This became the norm in Christian anti-Jewish writing. Attacks on the Jews were based an the idea that they are Christ-killers, and were embellished with scriptural passages (mainly out of context) defaming and besmirching Jews. Any Old Testament prophet's condemnation of events in his time would serve as proof that present-day Jews were hypocrites, villains, evil, haters of and rejected by God. Cyprian, who speaks of the Jews as a 'sinful nation, people weighed down with guilt, breed of evil-doers, lawless children', maintains that the only way open to them to atone for their sin is converting to Christianity. There was no salvation for Jews outside the Church. This notion was relaxed only after the Holocaust, in the framework of the Second Vatican Council (Vatican II).
Saint Ephraem Syrus (306-373) calls the Jews the 'circumcised dogs' and 'circumcised vagabonds', and refers to Judaism as a worthless vineyard which cannot bear fruit. In his writing, Ephraem refers to God's punishment for the Jews. Because they reviled Jesus, the Lord has banished them from their land, and now they are condemned to wander over the whole face of the earth.
Saint Gregory of Nyssa (c. 331-396), with wanton eloquence, describes the Jews as 'slayers of the Lord, murderers of the prophets, enemies of God, haters of God, adversaries of grace, enemies of their fathers' faith, advocates of the devil, brood of vipers, slanderers, scoffers, men of darkened minds, leaven of the Pharisees, congregation of demons, sinners, wicked men, stoners, and haters of goodness - a veritable catalogue for future anti-Semites to pick from.
The Jews systematically persecuted Christians in those days (some 30,000 Catholics were killed in one event)
Did you expect a letter of praise from Origen? your a phony Monday mornin quarterback.
ReginaM

Toms River, NJ

#511417 Feb 2, 2014
Our Monastery of our Lady of the Rosary is in Summit, New Jersey, a bedroom community of New York City and a quick 52 minute train ride from the city.

Summit is a very Catholic city with a small town feel. We began our monastery 94 years ago in 1919. Summit was considered a healthy place to live away from New York. It was touted as the “Denver of the East” for its high altitude!
http://reginamag.com/conversation-cloistered-...

“YESHUA IS LORD”

Since: Apr 07

GAWGIA (GEORGIA)

#511418 Feb 2, 2014
There is a void of true wisdom on this forum. Anyhow,good evening everyone.I'm busier than a one armed man trying to hang wallpaper tonight. I'm expecting a stroke patient from the E.R. in a few so most likely I may not be back with you guys anytime soon tonight.
OldJG

Rockford, IL

#511419 Feb 2, 2014
The Roman Catholic Church doesn't simply claim to know that following the death of the mother of Jesus, Mary's earthly body was transported or "assumed" into heaven, but the Pope who declared this to be a fact, Pius IX, invoked his infallible authority to do so, a very, very rare occurrence. And how did the Pope know this? Apart from the fact that no one has yet stumbled over her body, the entire long-winded "proof" boils down to this: if the pope, or others who agree with him, were God's divine Son, that's what they would want for their mother. LOL LOL LOL

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#511420 Feb 2, 2014
Liam wrote:
<quoted text>
The bottom line is that the Orthodox haven't stopped schism-ing amongst each other since the schism with the west. You say some came back into communion with the Bishop of Rome out of fear? come on, that's just a typical 'sounds good to me' protestant come back. There is no facts behind it. What about the Ethiopian Catholics who crossed back over in 1846? What kinda 'protection' could Rome possibly have offered them??
I did not post this for you. I posted it for those who want the true facts.The Catholics here are incapable of a dialogue that stays on topics, does not get personal,and actually responds honestly to the other persons comments
Liam

Saint Paul, MN

#511421 Feb 2, 2014
OldJG wrote:
OldJG wrote:
51% of Americans are Protestants, while about 24% are Roman Catholic.
How many Roman Catholic Presidents have served this country? Just sayin'
<quoted text>
Hey Ben, Ben Dover, thank you for quoting the obvious. One President? Why just one Ben? Or should I have said "Mr. Dover"? If 24% of the US population is Roman Catholic why only one President Ben?
The same reason why we've had one minority president when 27% of the US population are minorities. Bigots like you still have influence!
OldJG

Rockford, IL

#511422 Feb 2, 2014
Liam

Saint Paul, MN

#511423 Feb 2, 2014
Hermeneutics Smutics wrote:
<quoted text> I did not post this for you. I posted it for those who want the true facts.The Catholics here are incapable of a dialogue that stays on topics, does not get personal,and actually responds honestly to the other persons comments
I just requested a link because I thought your assertion didn't make sense. I'm capable of being persuaded if I see the right things. We hear baseless accusations all the time, so I had some initial doubts. I didn't mean no disrespect.
ReginaM

Toms River, NJ

#511424 Feb 2, 2014
THE PRAYER OF ST. EPHREM

The Prayer of St. Ephrem is taken in the Byzantine Church during the Liturgy of the Presanctified (Liturgy of Pope St. Gregory the Great, taken by both Catholic and Orthodox alike during this period), during all services of the Divine Office during Lent and at various other times during the day recommended at morning, noon, evening - upon arising and before retiring.

Making a prostration}

O LORD, Master of my life, grant that I may not be infected with the
spirit of slothfulness and inquisitiveness, with the spirit of ambition and vain talking.

{Making a prostration}

Grant instead to me, your servant, the spirit of purity and of
humility, the spirit of patience and neighborly love.

{Making a third prostration}

O Lord and King, grant me the grace of being aware of my sins and of not thinking evil of those of my brethren.
For you are blessed, now and ever, and forever.

Amen.

Lord Jesus Christ, King of Kings, You have power over life
and death. You know what is secret and hidden, and neither our
thoughts nor our feelings are concealed from You.
Cure me of duplicity; I have done evil before You.
Now my life declines from day to day and my sins increase.
O Lord, God of souls and bodies, You know the extreme frailty of
my soul and my flesh.
Grant me strength in my weakness, O Lord, and sustain me in my misery. Give me a grateful soul that I may never cease to recall
Your benefits, O Lord most bountiful.
Be not mindful of my many sins, but forgive me all my misdeeds.
O Lord, disdain not my prayer - the prayer of a wretched
sinner; sustain me with Your grace until the end, that it may
protect me as in the past.
It is Your grace which has taught me wisdom; blessed are they who follow her ways, for they shall receive the crown of glory.
In spite of my unworthiness, I praise You and I glorify You,
O Lord, for Your mercy to me is without limit.
You have been my help and my protection. May the name of Your majesty be praised forever.
To you, our God, be glory.
Amen.
OldJG

Rockford, IL

#511425 Feb 2, 2014
OldJG wrote:
ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH FATHERS
Twenty-seven of the thirty-two surviving works of Tertullian (160-225), a priest from Carthage who is considered the first theologian of the West, contain anti-Jewish discourse. In De Oratione, for example, he wrote that 'though Israel may wash all its members every day, it is never clean. Its hands ... are always stained, covered forever with the blood of the prophets and of our Lord himself.'
The Alexandrian theologian, Origen (182-251) preached that 'the blood of Jesus falls not only on the Jews of that time, but on all generations of Jews up to the end of the world'. This state of endless and timeless culpability, says Origen, ensures that the Jews, whose 'rejection of Jesus has resulted in their present calamity and exile ... will never be restored to their former condition'.
Saint Cyprian (200-258), Bishop of Carthage, in his three books of Testimonies Against the Jews, cites quotation after quotation from the Old Testament attempting to 'prove' that the case of Christianity against Judaism had been foreseen in that work. This became the norm in Christian anti-Jewish writing. Attacks on the Jews were based an the idea that they are Christ-killers, and were embellished with scriptural passages (mainly out of context) defaming and besmirching Jews. Any Old Testament prophet's condemnation of events in his time would serve as proof that present-day Jews were hypocrites, villains, evil, haters of and rejected by God. Cyprian, who speaks of the Jews as a 'sinful nation, people weighed down with guilt, breed of evil-doers, lawless children', maintains that the only way open to them to atone for their sin is converting to Christianity. There was no salvation for Jews outside the Church. This notion was relaxed only after the Holocaust, in the framework of the Second Vatican Council (Vatican II).
Saint Ephraem Syrus (306-373) calls the Jews the 'circumcised dogs' and 'circumcised vagabonds', and refers to Judaism as a worthless vineyard which cannot bear fruit. In his writing, Ephraem refers to God's punishment for the Jews. Because they reviled Jesus, the Lord has banished them from their land, and now they are condemned to wander over the whole face of the earth.
Saint Gregory of Nyssa (c. 331-396), with wanton eloquence, describes the Jews as 'slayers of the Lord, murderers of the prophets, enemies of God, haters of God, adversaries of grace, enemies of their fathers' faith, advocates of the devil, brood of vipers, slanderers, scoffers, men of darkened minds, leaven of the Pharisees, congregation of demons, sinners, wicked men, stoners, and haters of goodness - a veritable catalogue for future anti-Semites to pick from.
Liam wrote:
<quoted text>
The Jews systematically persecuted Christians in those days (some 30,000 Catholics were killed in one event)
Did you expect a letter of praise from Origen? your a phony Monday mornin quarterback.
You are a liar and will always be a liar. You would not know the truth if it fell in your living room.

Apparently Origen did not follow Jesus Christ. Jesus said, "love your enemies" didn't he? Did Origen love his enemies? Just sayin'

Husker

Falls City, NE

#511426 Feb 2, 2014
Seraphima wrote:
<quoted text> Go to your nearest orthodox church and ask the priest...get the truth from the source
I think you need to, ask him if the church that you supposedly go to has an instruction class.
OldJG

Rockford, IL

#511427 Feb 2, 2014
Hermeneutics Smutics wrote:
<quoted text> I did not post this for you. I posted it for those who want the true facts.The Catholics here are incapable of a dialogue that stays on topics, does not get personal,and actually responds honestly to the other persons comments
Liam wrote:
<quoted text>
I just requested a link because I thought your assertion didn't make sense. I'm capable of being persuaded if I see the right things. We hear baseless accusations all the time, so I had some initial doubts. I didn't mean no disrespect.
When the facts are provided for you they have no effect. You revert back to Roman Catholic polluted theology and hide behind the skirt of the pope. You are incorrigible. Hermi is right to quit on you.
ReginaM

Toms River, NJ

#511428 Feb 2, 2014
February 02, 2014
Today's Collect (Holy Mass)

Almighty ever-living God, we humbly implore your majesty that, just as your Only Begotten Son was presented on this day in the Temple in the substance of our flesh, so, by your grace, we may be presented to you with minds made pure. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son, who lives and reigns with you in the unity of the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever.
Amen.

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#511429 Feb 2, 2014
Husker wrote:
<quoted text> I think you need to, ask him if the church that you supposedly go to has an instruction class.
Thank you

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#511430 Feb 2, 2014
Husker wrote:
<quoted text> I think you need to, ask him if the church that you supposedly go to has an instruction class.
I studied with our orthodox priest for 1 year.he teaches Orthodoxy not Catholicism....
truth

Perth, Australia

#511431 Feb 2, 2014
Did you you find mouse as many as famous traveler trough time and history too..is that religion or part of life spying on each other..or curse of law from your lovely Abraham?

Is that fiction story?
Is that secrets which others can't revile?
How you will defended that with one document of accusation?
Maybe you will say we don't know what you talking!

Yes i become very angry or inat yee, its my rights, when i see that things as well many i refuse=nechu=no.

Why 50 cents rosary have Power revile that?

Horrible not understood or past not understanding.
Discover what stay in deceived or posses body.

Is your priest going help you?
No..then you will find how that power working trough history and time.
truth

Perth, Australia

#511433 Feb 2, 2014
Are you going act with anger?
Is that nice be angry?

When you start pray like frozen things trough time going be lose!!!

Are you for sure you discover something what you don't wanted know?
Then past horrible life time in vain!
yep oh
Husker

Falls City, NE

#511434 Feb 2, 2014
OldJG wrote:
OldJG wrote:
Another Roman from Minnesota. Ya know Dust Storm, only two things come out of Minnesota. Steer and queers. I have never heard you moo. Do you moo for your priest in confession or do you just smile? Just sayin'
<quoted text>
Hey cly, I saw your priest at the KKK meeting. He told me your name was changed by your savior the blessed mary to Ben Dover. Is that your name or is that what you do for your priest in the confessional? Just sayin'
<quoted text>
Actually Mr. Ben Dover, I am sick and tired of the arrogance of the Romans on this forum. Why you are arrogant I have no idea. You are Biblical idiots and historical morons. Why do you find the need to be so arrogant. It must be fear. Are you afraid of the truth? Just sayin'.
Well we Catholics gave you the bible. You seem to forget that, wait.... your pagan nope, I think you worship ole' scratch.
ReginaM

Toms River, NJ

#511435 Feb 2, 2014
Liam wrote:
<quoted text>
Liam, you don't owe anyone an explanation. You didn't say anything wrong.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 2 min RiversideRedneck 100,100
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 11 min bad bob 184,286
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 12 min RiversideRedneck 980,092
News The 'Fake News' Con: A Case Study 31 min DemoHater 55
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 1 hr Jehova Witness 445,639
Topix shutdown 1 hr Jehova Witness 6
New furniture store in Morehead 1 hr Babzz 1
God is REAL - Miracles Happen! (Jun '11) 3 hr Elerby 6,143
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 6 hr Evanka Dump 286,452
More from around the web