Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Comments (Page 24,605)

Showing posts 492,081 - 492,100 of512,325
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2014

Michael wrote:
Where is Anthony?.........Where is GENED?
Waiting for you to produce the court documents showing "most Catholics priests knew who all the abusers were and were told to keep an eye on them."

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2014

Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>
No one's going to hell, Chuck.
They maybe going to Jerome or Shawnee Hills and thinking it's hell, but that's just an illusion.
How little you know. I was baptized and confirmed Orthodox. Of course I can receive communion in a Catholic Church. How little you know.
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2014

Judged:

Hermeneutics Smutics wrote:
<quoted text> Nice story, but when I was attending Catholic Churches one was my home base and I visited many others. Never once did anyone in the Church announce that those not Catholic should not partake in Communion. I did every time.
I was also given the Eucharist in the Greek Orthodox Church when I was a young man. No questions asked. They all knew we were Latin.

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2014

Regina wrote:
<quoted text>
You mean your home parish? So then you did convert to Catholicism? I hope you're not telling me that you received without first formally coming into the Church, especially since you knew she asked you not to do so.
No, you're correct, it's not announced. However, even if it was, would it stop those who feel they're above respecting her wishes? Unfortunately, there will always be people like that in this world. Would it stop a visitor to an Orthodox church from saying he was an Orthodox from out of town and then receiving the Eucharist? Or does the priest ask for papers first?
How little you know. I was baptized and confirmed Orthodox. Of course I can receive communion in a Catholic Church. How little you know.
Chuck

Dublin, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2014

Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
I deny nothing. Fact is, you deny that you and your pastors are sinners like the rest of us. Hypocrite.
Not once did I say we are not sinners. I said your church covered up child molestation and your hard earned money pays for it. Then I asked why you still go there. That's all.
Regina

Toms River, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2014

<quoted text>==
It would be easy to conclude, majestic nature of the priest's vestments that these are designed to elevate him and his position.
Quite the contrary, as indicated by the Vestment procedure the priest undertakes prior to liturgy.The Vestments as the priest recites during the Vesting ceremony, are intended to humble, not elevate the priest.
Vesting of Clergy
Before the "Orthros" or Matins (morning prayer), the Priest prepares himself for the Divine Liturgy by special prayers recited outside the Iconostasion (Altar Screen) before the Royal Doors.
He enters the Sanctuary through the North Door saying:
"I will enter Thy House, and in Thy fear, I will worship toward Thy Holy Temple."
Having entered the Sanctuary, the Priest wears his Vestments.
For each of the five (5) pieces he recites a special prayer as follows:
1 STICHARION: is the inner garment, reaching to the floor. It signifies the purity of heart, that should be inseparable from the Priestly Office. It states Christ's purity and illumination as well as the purity and brightness of the Holy Angels.
"My soul shall exalt in the Lord, for He has endued me with the robe of salvation, and with the garment of joy has He clothed me. He has set a crown on my head like a bridegroom, and like a bride He has adorned me with comeliness." (Isaiah Chapter 61, Verse 10)
2 EPITRACHELION:(stole: meaning "on the neck") signifies the outpouring of Grace from Above on the Priest. It also symbolizes the Cross carried by our Lord upon His shoulders. It denotes the balance, weight and responsibility that priests have for all our souls. The tassels that hang at the lower part of the Stole represent our souls that hang on the Spiritual Fathers neck.
"Blessed is God, Who pours His grace on His Priests, like the balm on the head, that ran down the beard, even Aaron's beard, down to the skirts of his garment."
(Psalm 133, Verse 2)
3 ZONE (Belt):is worn over the Sticharion and Epitrachelion.This girding shows a Priest's readiness for service and the strength he receives from the Holy Spirit to succeed in his mission.
"Blessed is God Who girds me with strength, and makes my way perfect."
(Psalm 133, Verse 2)
4 EPIMANIKA (2 Pieces - Cuffs):symbolize God's creative hands and His omnipotence. The cords which tie them represent the rope with which the Lord was tied.
(Wearing first Epimanika - right cuff)
"Thy right hand, O Lord, is glorified in strength. Thy right hand, O Lord, hast shattered the enemy, and through the multitude of Thy glory Thou hast crushed Thine adversaries." (Exodus Chapter 15, Verses 6-7)
(Wearing second Epimanika - left cuff):
"Thy hands have made me and molded me; given me understanding, and I will learn Thy Commandments." (Psalm 119, Verse 73)
5 PHELONION (Chasuble)(cape): signifies the crimson Robe, with which the soldier clothed our Lord Jesus to mock Him while he was in the Praetorium..
"Let Thy Priest be clothed with righteousness; and let Thy Saints shout for joy, always, now and ever, and to the ages of ages. Amen"
(Psalm 132, Verse 9)
Vested and completing the Proskomide, the Priest is prepared to begin the Divine Liturgy.
http://www.stgeorgegreenville.org/OurFaith/Di...
Thank you for this. I think it's all so beautiful and, of course, all for God, and has absolutely nothing to do with being showy as is always stated here, especially lately. We're to worship God with the very best we have and all we have, whether that is nearly nothing or a great deal. As long as it's everything and our best. To imply otherwise is a cheap shot....at God, not us.
LTM

Sudbury, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2014

Read the Scripture: Mark 14:53-72
Mark 14:53-72
53They took Jesus to the high priest, and all the chief priests, elders and teachers of the law came together. 54Peter followed him at a distance, right into the courtyard of the high priest. There he sat with the guards and warmed himself at the fire.
55The chief priests and the whole Sanhedrin were looking for evidence against Jesus so that they could put him to death, but they did not find any. 56Many testified falsely against him, but their statements did not agree.
57Then some stood up and gave this false testimony against him: 58"We heard him say,'I will destroy this man-made temple and in three days will build another, not made by man.' " 59Yet even then their testimony did not agree.
60Then the high priest stood up before them and asked Jesus, "Are you not going to answer? What is this testimony that these men are bringing against you?" 61But Jesus remained silent and gave no answer.
Again the high priest asked him, "Are you the Christ, the Son of the Blessed One?"
62"I am," said Jesus. "And you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of the Mighty One and coming on the clouds of heaven."
63The high priest tore his clothes. "Why do we need any more witnesses?" he asked. 64"You have heard the blasphemy. What do you think?"
They all condemned him as worthy of death. 65Then some began to spit at him; they blindfolded him, struck him with their fists, and said, "Prophesy!" And the guards took him and beat him.
66While Peter was below in the courtyard, one of the servant girls of the high priest came by. 67When she saw Peter warming himself, she looked closely at him.
"You also were with that Nazarene, Jesus," she said.
68But he denied it. "I don't know or understand what you're talking about," he said, and went out into the entryway.
69When the servant girl saw him there, she said again to those standing around, "This fellow is one of them." 70Again he denied it.
After a little while, those standing near said to Peter, "Surely you are one of them, for you are a Galilean."
71He began to call down curses on himself, and he swore to them, "I don't know this man you're talking about."
72Immediately the rooster crowed the second time. Then Peter remembered the word Jesus had spoken to him: "Before the rooster crows twice you will disown me three times." And he broke down and wept.
New International VersionThese studies in Mark's gospel have taken us to the action packed week of our Lord just before the cross and the resurrection. To some of you, these events that occurred 2,000 years ago and so far away may seem rather remote from your own experience. Sometimes we are so caught up in our daily lives that these events seem rather dull because of their familiarity, especially in contrast to the exciting events of this week, such as the capture of Patty Hearst, the continuing trend of inflation, the events of the Middle East, and the visit of the President to our community. But all these current events will be nothing but a dim memory ten years from now. Just think back to the things that were happening ten years ago and how unimportant they seem to us now. Little will be changed by what happened to us this week.
cont
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2014

Chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL...it's fun to watch you compare my church to yours. Next time I see your church on the news for another priest being accused, I'll post a comment to you. Guess I'll post this week. lol
Keep giving them that hard earned money Tony. They know how to use it.
I'm not comparing at all, you community isn't a real "Church", it's a social gathering of like minded protestants forming yet another in the long line of denominations who make it up as they go along by anointing yourselves paper popes interpreting the bible alone.

What I am comparing is you and your group to the pharisees who screamed about the sin of others while pretending they were not sinners. Hypocrite.
LTM

Sudbury, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2014

cont
But the events around the death of Jesus are the most significant events in all history -- already every person in all the world who ever lived has been affected by these events. If we believe the Scriptures, this event is the focal point of history, not only on this planet, but on every galaxy, every star, every solar system, every planet in all the vast reaches of space. These are the most crucial events that have ever taken place. It is therefore very important that we carefully study what has been recorded about these events.
After Jesus was captured in Gethsemane Garden, he was led away by the soldiers to the high priest. Mark doesn't record for us the appearance of Jesus before Annas, the father-in-law of the high priest, but moves directly to the courtyard of Caiaphis, the current high priest, in Verses 53-54:
And they led Jesus to the high priest; and all the chief priests and the elders and the scribes were assembled. And Peter had followed him at a distance, right into the courtyard of the high priest; and he was sitting with the guards, and warming himself at the fire.(Mark 14:53-54 RSV)

Notice the very careful way Mark sets this scene for us. Jesus is in the inner room with the Sanhedrin. This assembly consisted of the high priest, all the chief priests, the scribes, and the elders -- 70 members of the Sanhedrin plus their helpers and advisors, etc. So it was a considerable crowd that gathered in the inner room in the residence of Caiaphis, the high priest. There was Jesus in the midst of the Sanhedrin, while just outside. in the outer courtyard, where he could look in and see all that was happening, Peter sat with the guards around the fire on that chill spring night in Jerusalem. Mark is very careful to point out that these two situations occur side by side.

There is a reason why Mark contrasts these two situations, and we will see it as we look at this account very carefully. The trial before the priest proceeds in two stages. First, there is the testimony of the witnesses in Verses 55-58.
cont

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2014

Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>
They haven't been borrowed, thief; they've been plagiarized.
We've been through this before:
"Plagiarism:... use (another's production) without crediting the source ..."
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/pla...
You're a thief.
If ever you can string words together that makes any sort of sense...get back to me...Lying Snake...
Regina

Toms River, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2014

Dust Storm wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually it is announced quite often and in particualar more traditional churches and practiced by priests especially at funerals where they know many people attending are not Catholic. What is often said is We ask that those who are not Catholic to refrain from receiving the Eucharist. "For those of you who are Catholic and are worthy to receive the Eucharist we welcome you to participate. This is usually followed by some scoffing from non catholics who do not understand and even Catholics who are ignorant of their own faith or occassional participators. It is something that should be said at every mass though especially at Christmas when the once a year people show up. Orthodox though would be allowed to receive unless forbidden by their Bishop. There are so few Orthodox churches that many Orthodox do go to Catholic churches. The priest cannot know who is worthy, but he can ask that those who are not Catholic or worthy or Catholic and who are worthy to participate. The Protestant in particular often misunderstands the significants, because to them it is a merely a symbolic guesture or cracker snack. They often take offense not understanding why it is done.
In the over all scheme of things the Oriental Orthodox Churches and the Patriarch of Moscow, Constantinople, Serbia have had good dialogue and the admiration of Pope Benedict was made very clear. The goodwill and talks have grown through the years. If one wants to be petty one can find individuals who could be doing things better in either church. Sometimes as sad as it may be your priest needs your support to do what is right.
It's announced at funeral masses, but I've never heard it announced during Sunday or weekday mass. I agree, there is a lot of pettiness. People get angry when we try to refute "inaccuracies" (I'm being kind using that word), they lash out horribly. What in the world is the matter with these people? If they can't take it, then they shouldn't dish it out.

What's your opinion of Kallistos Ware? If it's going to start more ugliness from them, then don't reply.

Since: Sep 09

Prince George, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2014

Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
The reason I know you're a hypocrite is because you do in fact separate sins just like Catholics do but you deny it and attempt to insult us. You cast out of your community a guy who was guilty of a sexual sin (presumably he already paid his debt to society in jail), but then turn around and ignore the fact that your pastor (and you) are also guilty of sin like lust in your heart, petty theft, etc. In this case you brush under the rug your sinfulness and publicly punish another sinner. Hypocrite.
Have you NOT labeled others as sinners that deserve hell while you garnish your self with holiness funneled into you by Jesus???

Come ON!!! Step up to the plate and be HONEST with your self.

Your transparency is on display.
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2014

Chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
Not once did I say we are not sinners. I said your church covered up child molestation and your hard earned money pays for it. Then I asked why you still go there. That's all.
Since sin is sin, why do you go to yours and give money when you know everyone is a sinner?
LTM

Sudbury, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2014

cont

Now the chief priests and the whole council sought testimony against Jesus to pot him to death; but they found none. For many bore false witness against him, and their witness did not agree. And some stood up and bore false witness against him, saying, "We heard him say,'I will destroy this temple that is made with hands, and in three days I will build another, not made with hands.'" Yet not even so did their testimony agree.(Mark 14:55-59 RSV)

This trial is clearly a farce. The outcome was determined long before the trial was convened, for Mark records that the chief priests sought for testimony because they were determined to put him to death. This reminds me of those accounts of the early western vigilantes who announced to their victims that they would be sure to give them a fair trial and then hang them. This is what the chief priests did to Jesus.

The trial was illegal right from the very beginning: First, it was held at night, and Jewish law insisted that all trials of criminals before the priests be held in the daytime. Second, it met in the wrong place. The Sanhedrin was to meet only in the hall set aside for its purposes, and only meetings held there were valid. But this meeting was held in the residence of the high priest. Third, the Sanhedrin was prohibited by law from reaching a verdict on the same day that the trial was held, and here the verdict is passed immediately at the end of this farcical trial.

cont

Since: Sep 09

Prince George, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2014

Chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
Not once did I say we are not sinners.
If you are still living a life of active sin, then theology states "for a fact" that Jesus' death was all in VAIN!!!

Silly people live lives of self-serving dogmatic illusions!!!
LTM

Sudbury, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2014

cont
Yet, despite all this connived, contrived testimony, things are not going well for the priests, because, as Mark tells us, though many bore false witness against him, the witnesses did not agree. As these witnesses, one by one, would recount even the same event, there was such a discrepancy that it was obvious that they either were telling a lie or had not been there or that something serious was wrong in their testimony.

These were the best witnesses money could buy, and yet everything was falling apart and the priests were getting uneasy and restless because the testimony of these witnesses did not agree. But finally, two men stood up -- Matthew tells us it was two -- who partially agreed, for they said, "We heard him say,'I will destroy this temple that is made with hands, and in three days I will build another, not made with hands,'" (Matthew 26:51). Now that was the closest any witnesses had come to agreeing. It was the strongest point in the case against Jesus, for there was an element of truth in what was said here. In John 2, early in Jesus' ministry, when he first cleansed the temple, three and a half years before these events, he said to the Jews, "Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up," (John 2:19). He meant, "If you destroy this temple, then in three days, I will build it up again." He was pointing out in sharp contrast their destructive powers and his constructive efforts.

John tells us that he was talking not about the temple of stone and brick, but of his own body, and this was an early reference to the resurrection. He had not said, "I will destroy this temple," as these witnesses testified. Yet there was a germ of truth to what they said. Tennyson said, "A lie that is wholly a lie can be met and fought without right, but a lie that is partly the truth is a harder matter to fight." These witnesses had enough truth to make something stick; but even then, Mark said, they couldn't agree in their details. So the case was falling apart, and the priests, I am sure, were feeling frustrated at this point, for it looked like they could not find a legal ground by which to accomplish the murder of Jesus.

cont
LTM

Sudbury, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2014

cont
At this point, the high priest saved the occasion, from the Sanhedrin's point of view, by doing something entirely illegal. He attempted to put Jesus on the spot and force him to incriminate himself. We have that account in Verses 60-61:

And the high priest stood up in the midst, and asked Jesus, "Have you no answer to make? What is it that these men testify against you?" But he was silent and made no answer.(Mark 14:60-61a RSV)

Isaiah had prophesied: "As a sheep before her shearers is dumb, so he opened not his mouth," (Isaiah 53:7). Evidently our Lord understood that the testimony against him was so fragmentary, so weak, that it required no answer. He made no effort to defend himself or to answer the lies of the witnesses, but remained silent. The high priest was stunned by Jesus' silence, and so he did something absolutely illegal. He put Jesus under oath to testify against himself.

Again the high priest asked him, "Are you the Christ, the Son of the Blessed?" And Jesus said, "I am; and you will see the Son of man sitting at the right hand of Power, and coming with the clouds of heaven." And the high priest tore his mantle, and said, "Why do we still need witnesses? You have heard this blasphemy. What is your decision?" And they all condemned him as deserving death. And some began to spit on him, and to cover his face, and to strike him, saying to him, Prophesy!" And the guards received him with blows.(Mark 14:61b-65 RSV)

Matthew said that the high priest put Jesus under oath. He said to him, "I adjure you by the living God," (Matthew 26:63b RSV). This was a very solemn oath. In response to that, Jesus breaks his silence and answers the high priest's question, "Are you the Messiah, the Son of the Blessed One?" Now what the priest is really asking is, "Are you the one who the Old Testament predicts will come, the Messiah, the Promised One? Are you the Son of God?" This is a clear-cut question directly placed and the high priest puts Jesus under oath to answer. Jesus responds very simply, "I am," (Matthew 26:64).

cont
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2014

Judged:

<quoted text>==========
How little you know. Yes, the Orthodox priest has ways of knowing whether someone requesting communion if Orthodox. Some ways are very subtle.When I attended an out of town Greek Church the priest saw me before Liturgy. I do not look Greek. He asked me in Greek "what is your name?" This is what the priest asks the parishioner before giving communion.His way of checking me out. We then discussed my home church, people we knew, etc.
Our priest states that if he wrongfully gives communion, his soul is in jeopardy. So yes, he will ask.
How little little you know.
So do our priests. Is there some kind of special anointing Orthodox priests receive which allows them to peer into the soul of the communicant?
Regina

Toms River, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2014

Judged:

<quoted text> How little you know. I was baptized and confirmed Orthodox. Of course I can receive communion in a Catholic Church. How little you know.
Um, you'd better check that again, Nick. I know you were baptized in the Orthodox church but you had posted that you left Orthodoxy, so you received as a non-Orthodox.

Also, the Orthodox Church forbids their members to receive in the Catholic Church.
LTM

Sudbury, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2014

cont

There are many critics of the New Testament and liberal scholars who insist that at no time did Jesus ever claim to be the Messiah or the Son of God. They tell us that these claims were made about him by his disciples. If you ever hear anyone say that, just turn to this passage of Scripture. There are other places where Jesus clearly claims to be the Messiah and the Son of God, but this one is the clearest, because he was under solemn oath to tell the truth, and he simply and clearly states, "I am the Messiah -- I am the Son of God." There is no doubt about it.

The rest of his reply is directed to the high priest personally, for he says to him, "And you will see the Son of man sitting at the right hand of Power, and coming with the clouds of heaven," (Matthew 26:64c KJV). In saying this to Caiaphis, Jesus is informing him of his own destiny.

We know from other Scriptures that when people die, whether they are believers or unbelievers, they step out of time into eternity. Events that are long distant yet in time are suddenly present in eternity. The Scriptures reveal that the event for which we believers are being prepared and are waiting for here on earth is the coming of the Lord with thousands of his saints for his own.

I believe that this explains why oftentimes when believers die, in the last moment of life they break out in a big smile and a sense of expectation comes into their eyes. Sometimes they will even cry out, because what they are seeing is the Lord coming with his saints for his own.

Unbelievers, too, step out of time into eternity when they die; and the event which they see is what Jesus describes here. "You will see the Son of man sitting at the right hand of Power, and coming..." as a judge upon the earth. They see him as the judge. They see the great white throne, the impressive scene described in Revelation 20 when all the dead are gathered together and the books are open, and men stand before the judge of all the earth. To this high priest in his arrogant unbelief, Jesus says, "Now you are the judge, I am the prisoner; one day I will be the judge, you will be the prisoner." With this he answers the blasphemous unbelief of this high priest. The high priest, in a hypocritical gesture, tears his garments when he hears Jesus' claim to be the Messiah. That gesture indicated that this was blasphemy, and he supposedly rends his garments because he is so outraged. This is hypocritical because that, of course, was exactly what he wanted Jesus to say. He knew that when he made a claim like that in the presence of the Sanhedrin, his doom was sealed. And so the priest, by this hypocritical act, indicates a phony outrage and demands the verdict, and the Sanhedrin immediately pass the sentence and condemn Jesus to die.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 492,081 - 492,100 of512,325
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

678 Users are viewing the Top Stories Forum right now

Search the Top Stories Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
How come the president doesn't use his BIRTH NAME? 7 min Doctor REALITY 15
Israel's end is near, Ahmadinejad says (Jun '07) 9 min RiccardoFire 36,113
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 10 min USA Born 109,749
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 10 min pusherman_ 680,865
Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 12 min RiccardoFire 89,606
Proof Jesus never existed (Aug '09) 12 min Doctor REALITY 12,239
The sad REALITY of being a gay atheist 15 min Doctor REALITY 12
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 19 min number four 217,208
Girls snapchat names?(dirty) 31 min Boomboompow 280
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 1 hr pusherman_ 596,623
•••
•••
•••