Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Comments (Page 24,598)

Showing posts 491,941 - 491,960 of530,408
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

Since: Sep 09

Prince George, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2014

Regina wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you for this. I think it's all so beautiful and, of course, all for God,
YOU being the GOD that puts your self on a pedestal of being one that is HOLY and totally worthy of salvation.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>

Reality: What a Concept.

Robin Williams
Regina

Toms River, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2014

Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
I was also given the Eucharist in the Greek Orthodox Church when I was a young man. No questions asked. They all knew we were Latin.
I read just the last night that that happens quite a bit in other countries.
LTM

Sudbury, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2014

cont
Then a strange thing happens. Mark tells us that upon the passing of the verdict, the forces of restraint that had been upon these priests and scribes and elders seemed to be lifted, and they again committed a wholly illegal act. They began to vent their hatred upon Jesus and pour out in venomous abuse all the pent-up jealousy and hatred they had gathered against him. They began to spit on him -- that is the ultimate form of insult. They spat upon him; they beat him; they covered his face with a garment, and while his face was hidden, they hit him, and they said, "Prophesy! Tell us who hit you." Thus they mocked him, and scorned him, and insulted him. Seven hundred and fifty years before this, Isaiah had spoken the words that Jesus must indeed have been thinking:

I gave my back to the smiter and my cheeks to those who plucked out the hair. I hid not my face from shame and spitting,(Isaiah 50:6 KJV).

Outside, Peter was watching this, and he never forgot it. In his first letter, he tells us that we are to remember that scene and take heed to it, for Christ was our example:

When he was reviled, he did not revile in return; when he suffered, he did not threaten; but he trusted to him who judges justly.(1 Peter 2:23 RSV)

This is how Christians are to respond when they are falsely accused, when they are unjustly vilified and abused. Instead of retorting and trying to justify ourselves, Peter says, we are to return good for evil, revile not in return, but commit ourselves to him who is able to judge things justly -- God himself. In Verses 66-72, Mark takes us to Peter, outside the court:

And as Peter was below in the courtyard, one of the maids of the high priest came; and seeing Peter warming himself, she looked at him, and said, "You also were with the Nazarene, Jesus." But he denied it, saying, "I neither know nor understand what you mean." And he went out into the gateway. And the maid saw him, and began again to say to the bystanders, "This man is one of them." But again he denied it. And after a little while again the bystanders said to Peter, "Certainly you are one of them; for you are a Galatiansilean." But he began to invoke a curse on himself and to swear, "I do not know this man of whom you speak." And immediately the cock crowed a second time. And Peter remembered how Jesus had said to him, "Before the cock crows twice, you will deny me three times." And he broke down and wept.(Mark 14:66-72 RSV)

cont

Prince George, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2014

Mother Teresa claimed that everything she did was for GOD ... even though she had no faith in HIM.

Sad ... but true.
LTM

Sudbury, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2014

cont
We are all familiar with how Peter's bravado had caused him to vow that he'd never deny the Lord. In the Garden of Gethsemane, it was Peter who drew his sword in an attempt to defend Jesus. But now his determination to show himself faithful to Christ has carried him right into the courtyard of the high priest where he is warming his hands around the fire with the very guards that had arrested Jesus and brought him there. That was a brave thing to do; he was in terrible danger. I think it was the pride of Peter's heart that brought him this far. He was so determined not to let the Lord down, so determined to show that Jesus was wrong when he said Peter would deny him. But now that he is there in the midst of the enemies of Jesus, fears begin to possess his heart, and the bravado melts away -- his courage is gone.

The young woman who had let him in the door, a servant of the high priest, recognized him and said, "You are one of the Nazarene's followers, aren't you?" John, writing years later, tells us that there was another disciple present. Many of the commentators think it was John himself, but I think it was Mark. If, as I have already suggested, Mark was the rich young ruler, he would fit John's description of a disciple who was known to the high priest and who had spoken to this maid to let Peter into the courtyard. Therefore, when Peter came in and the maid saw that a man whom she knew to be a disciple had let him in, she was sure that this was also one of the disciples, and so she accused him of it.

Right away, Peter's defenses have gone. He immediately says, "I don't know who you are talking about." He tries to turn off this inquisitive maid. Leaving the fireside, he goes outside to the gateway so he will be less visible. But the pesky little girl follows him and keeps pursuing the subject, much to the discomfort and embarrassment of Peter. The maid says to the people standing around, "This man is one of them." I'm sure Peter could have choked her gladly. But she kept pursuing him. As he protested, they heard his accent. Peter was as outstanding in that crowd as a Texan in Peoria. His accent gave him away. So the people said, "You must be one of them; you're from Galilee." Once again, Peter denied it vehemently. It says he cursed. Now that doesn't mean he began to blaspheme and swear. It means that he pronounced a curse upon himself. He said, "God curse me if what I say is not the truth." He took a solemn oath.

I think Mark is careful to point out the contrast between Jesus speaking under oath in the inner courtroom and Peter's oath in the courtyard. Jesus said he was the Messiah, the Son of God, and Peter denied that he knew Jesus at all. That was a solemn and very serious oath, and just then, Mark says, "the cock crowed a second time." Peter's conscience smote him. He knew what he had done, and, according to the account here, he broke down and wept. The word for "broke down" is very strong in Greek. He literally went out and threw himself down on the ground in agony and tears of repentance and remorse began to flow as he thought of what he had done.

cont
LTM

Sudbury, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2014

cont
I think we can see why Mark has so carefully weaved this story together for us. Nothing intrigues me more in this account in the gospels than to see the careful way the writers of Scripture choose incidents that belong together and put them side by side. Mark has done that here so that we might see the contrast. Here is a band of priests who hate Jesus. Their hearts are filled with venom and anger and jealousy and bitterness against him. And all of it comes spilling out in the spitting and buffeting that follows the verdict. Contrasted to this is a man who loves Jesus with all his heart and is determined to defend him to the end. And yet, in the moment of crisis, he fails Jesus, he denies that he even knows him.

Now why does Mark put these two situations side by side? I think he does it so that we might understand that both of them manifest the same thing; both are a manifestation of the undependability of human nature -- the flesh, as the Bible calls it. These priests were men of the flesh, men who lived according to the ways of the world, men who thought as the world thinks and who were seeking for status and prestige and position. Jesus was a threat to their position and awakened their hatred and their anger, which they expressed in this terrible accusation and mockery and violence against Jesus. That is the flesh at work. Everybody recognizes that hatred and anger and vehemence are wrong, and we know those things come from an evil, perverted heart. But what Mark wants us to see is that the love of Peter was no better. It, too, was depending on the flesh, on human abilities and human resources, to carry him through. In the hour of crisis, it was no more effective than the hatred of the priests. Love and loyalty and faithfulness mean nothing when they rest on the shaky foundation of the determination of a human will. That is why Mark puts these two examples side by side so that we might see their similarities.

To me, the most hopeful note here is the tears of Peter. The priests didn't weep; there is no record that Judas wept, though he did display a degree of remorse and of despair. But Peter, when he denied his Lord, threw himself down and wept. Somebody said this morning that they had learned a lesson about failure. They had learned that failure is never the end of the story. This is true of Peter. Peter's tears speak of another day that is yet to come when the Lord will deliver him and restore him, having learned a very sobering and salutary lesson.

cont
LTM

Sudbury, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2014

cont
There is great beauty in the lines of the poet, Charles Mackay, who says:

Oh, you tears,
I'm thankful that you run.
Though you trickle in the darkness,
you shall glitter in the sun.
The rainbow could not shine if the rain refused to fall;
And the eyes that cannot weep are the saddest eyes of all.

Remember the resurrection morning when Jesus met the women at the tomb. He said to them, "Go and tell my disciples and Peter -- and Peter -- that I go before them and will meet them in Galilee," (Mark 16:7). After he denies Christ, Peter drops out of the picture; we know nothing more about what happened to him until the women come with the good news of the resurrection. The only difference between the denial of Peter and the hatred of the priests was the tears that Peter shed. Those tears meant there was life that could be restored; his failure could be forgotten and forgiven.

When I look at Christianity today, I am sometimes appalled at the degree that we depend upon the flesh. I am amazed and intrigued as we look at the Scriptures to see that God always works in simplicity and with a low-keyed approach. God loves that. Our attempts, and the flesh's attempts, are almost always characterized by high gear, high promotion, and complexity. I learned long ago that when things start getting very complex, when you need finely tuned organizations to carry them out and hundreds of people -- somehow you've missed it; for God's work is characterized by simplicity. Paul wrote in Second Corinthians 11:3, "I am greatly concerned about you lest Satan should woo you from the simplicity that is in Christ." It is only by a sense of weakness that rests upon the power and wisdom of God that we can accomplish anything. When we do, we don't need high gear, high power machinery. We don't need expensive approaches. One of the things that turns me off about Christendom is to see how much of it depends upon the power of money. I believe that God never needs money, but He uses money. Money is always available when God is at work. But if a project depends on money and people are thinking in terms of money, they have missed the simplicity that is in Christ. May the Lord teach us from this simple story the utter undependability of the flesh and the constant victory and triumph of resting in the spirit.

cont
LTM

Sudbury, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2014

cont
Prayer:
Our Father, there may come times in our lives when we will be confronted with failure. We may find ourselves, like Peter, doing the very thing we didn't want to do, denying the Lord who bought us. Thank you for the assurance that this story gives us, that if love is in our hearts, we will not be cast aside. But restoration and forgiveness are certain. Lord, help us to understand that we must not count upon the power of the world and human wisdom and human machinery to accomplish your work. Teach us how to use these things, but not abuse them. We ask in Jesus' name. Amen.

Title: Jesus and the Priests Author: Ray C. Stedman

Prince George, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2014

Hermeneutics Smutics wrote:
<quoted text> How little you know. I was baptized and confirmed Orthodox. Of course I can receive communion in a Catholic Church. How little you know.
What does "communion" do for you but reaffirm to you that the spirit of Jesus hasn't left you in the lurch ... as occurred with the Jews ... had Jesus lived?

If Jesus lived he was one fickle S.O.B.
LTM

Sudbury, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2014

I know what I posted was very long but it is so beautiful.

Prince George, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2014

Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus doesn't take away the sins of an unrepentant sinner no matter how much they say they believe in Him.
OH OH ... you are doomed!
Regina

Toms River, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2014

Judged:

Hermeneutics Smutics wrote:
<quoted text>==========
How little you know. Yes, the Orthodox priest has ways of knowing whether someone requesting communion if Orthodox. Some ways are very subtle.When I attended an out of town Greek Church the priest saw me before Liturgy. I do not look Greek. He asked me in Greek "what is your name?" This is what the priest asks the parishioner before giving communion.His way of checking me out. We then discussed my home church, people we knew, etc.
Our priest states that if he wrongfully gives communion, his soul is in jeopardy. So yes, he will ask.
How little little you know.
How little you know. There are many Orthodox that do not speak Greek and when out of town they attend Greek Orthodox liturgies. I've read about it many times. So your priest asking in Greek doesn't prove that they are or aren't Orthodox if the person happens to be from another Orthodox tradition.

How little you know.
Regina

Toms River, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2014

Judged:

Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
I was also given the Eucharist in the Greek Orthodox Church when I was a young man. No questions asked. They all knew we were Latin.
He'll probably tell you how little you know.

If he doesn't, then he's personally targeting and playing games.
Chess Jurist

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2014

Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
If ever you can string words together that makes any sort of sense...get back to me...Lying Snake...
You're confused, child.

But no one else is.

You're a proven thief, and everyone knows it.

Thief.

Prince George, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2014

Gods R Delusions but Mine wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL
Being Catholic means being always deserving of an apology.
Sweet. Imagine if that wasn't posted to a spiritual cousin!
Catholics and Protestants believe they can tell each other who Jesus wants to save ... and strangely enough, it's always their selves.

I suggest that if Jesus was actually alive in spirit, he would be shaking his invisible head in disbelief.

And these are people that all believe they deserve to be rewarded with eternal bliss in a hereafter.

It's a perpetual greed-fest!

:)

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2014

Judged:

Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
So do our priests. Is there some kind of special anointing Orthodox priests receive which allows them to peer into the soul of the communicant?
Is there some special thing I have done to cause you to go back to being sarcastic and allow your sarcasm to short circuit your thinking process.

Prince George, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2014

Chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL...Grams your parents were probably like Mike's.
I have have no reason to stick up for catholics but I was never taught being catholic that I'm better or more loved by God.
You were taught wrong by mommy and daddy Grams..blame them
You are a liar.

If you didn't believe as a Catholic you were saved, there would be no benefit to being a Catholic. NONE whatsoever.

You certainly don't believe that Jesus will save Protestants. That is obvious. And neither do Protestants believe that Jesus will save you.

Silly GREEDYpeople.

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2014

Tango Bravo wrote:
<quoted text>
You're the one who claims that "Christianity is a lie". I'm still waiting for you to provide proof. You haven't provided any evidence yet so I have to assume that you don't know what you're talking about.
Yes I have - you just refuse to accept the statements I've made - and research them to show that I am right.

Face it Tango - if this is all your debate is about, and that you've chosen to disregard the data and support I've given you to accept it or not - well then, it looks like you are the one choosing to be ignorant.

Clearly this seems to be the path you are on - disillusioned due to men.

Go ahead and divert your discussion to the next poster.....I'm done with ours.
Chuck

Dublin, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2014

Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Since sin is sin, why do you go to yours and give money when you know everyone is a sinner?
We acknowledge we are all sinners and we hold sin accountable.

Your church leaders DID NOT hold sin accountable did they? Of course not, that's why they use your money to pay off lawsuits.

Do you see the difference...yet?

Keep debating Tony..it's fun to watch.

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2014

Judged:

Regina wrote:
<quoted text>
Um, you'd better check that again, Nick. I know you were baptized in the Orthodox church but you had posted that you left Orthodoxy, so you received as a non-Orthodox.
Also, the Orthodox Church forbids their members to receive in the Catholic Church.
Try to get at least one fact correct.. I stopped going to Orthodox Church. I did not "leave" Orthodoxy in terms of renouncing it or converting to any other church.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 491,941 - 491,960 of530,408
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

535 Users are viewing the Top Stories Forum right now

Search the Top Stories Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 3 min henry 717,261
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 5 min Buck Crick 223,378
Does anyone do incest sex with your sister (Apr '12) 9 min Ultra Dave 111
Online Dating 10 min Zeurich 0
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 11 min Guess whooo 114,716
Wake up, Black America!! (Sep '13) 21 min goodtime69 1,409
How long does a Topix ban last? 24 min Ultra Dave 14
Sims 4 Key Generator (Oct '13) 34 min Daniel 64
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 38 min who 255,783