Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Comments (Page 24,542)

Showing posts 490,821 - 490,840 of529,570
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
hojo

Chanhassen, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2014

michael wrote:
<quoted text>
Same old, same old. Bla bla bla.....YAWN!
Yes Michael!!! That descibes "you" perfectly!! Same old, same old (anti-catholic trash talking) National Inquirer kind of pollution that "you" are so famous for "diggging up"!
UNBELEIVABLE

“Greatest Love”

Since: Aug 08

For His Creation

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2014

Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Your "home church" is not biblical.
Actually didn't the,apostles and disciples,meet in people's,homes ..share bread and wine,..not as,a,Mass but a special communal meal with believers whereeverctheyvwent ..in each city???

Before representation of cathedrals,...home churches
Chuck

Dublin, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2014

Judged:

Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text>
Then what dies this mean? These are your own words right?
"I know the difference between right and wrong. I believe in God and I know what right and wrong is by His Word and a relationship with His Son.
You don't believe in God, so how do you determine what is right and wrong?"
Nice dodge ...nothing to do with Christianity huh?
God gives everyone a conscience, He says so in His Word. Atheist will deny this until the day they die. June says she determines right and wrong by concepts ( do what?) Mike says it's common sense (his common sense may be different then others..no what?)

An atheist has absolutely no reason to live a moral life..why? And what authority do they look to determine morals...themselves.

Killing another human being is wrong, why because God says it is. Why is it wrong for the atheist?
hojo

Chanhassen, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2014

Judged:

TRUE CHURCH and BIBLE

TRUE CHURCH

Catholic Church History Facts

When did the Church established by Jesus Christ get the name Catholic?

Christ left the adoption of a name for His Church to those whom he commissioned to teach all nations. Christ called the spiritual society He established, "My Church" (Mt. xvi, 18), "the Church" (Mt. xviii, 17).

In order to have a distinction between the Church and the Synagogue and to have a distinguishing name from those embracing Judaic and Gnostic errors we find St. Ignatius (50-107 AD) using the Greek word "Katholicos" (universal) to describe the universality of the Church established by Christ. St. Ignatius was appointed Bishop of Antioch by St. Peter, the Bishop of Rome. It is in his writings that we find the word Catholic used for the first time. St. Augustine, when speaking about the Church of Christ, calls it the Catholic Church 240 times in his writings.

St. Ignatius of Antioch, disciple of the Apostle John, concerning the heretics of his day wrote: "They have abstained from the Eucharist and prayer, because they do not confess that the Eucharist is the flesh of Our Savior Jesus Christ."

St. Justin Martyr, another Church Father of the second century wrote: "This food is known among us as the Eucharist... We do not receive these things as common bread and common drink; but as Jesus Christ our Savior, being made flesh by the Word of God."

"Amen, amen, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you shall not have life in you. He who eats my flesh and drinks my blood has life everlasting and I will raise Him up on the last day. For my flesh is food indeed, and my blood is drink indeed" (John 6:54-56) "How can this man give us his flesh to eat?" they argued.(John 6:53) "And whilst they were at supper, Jesus took bread, and blessed, and broke: and gave to his disciples, and said: Take ye, and eat. THIS IS MY BODY. And taking the chalice, he gave thanks, and gave to them, saying: Drink ye all of this. FOR THIS IS MY BLOOD." (cf. Matt. 26:26-28; Mark 14:22-24; Luke 22:19-20).

In the most unequivocal language the Apostles affirmed that the bread and wine duly consecrated on the altar did in fact become the actual Substance of the Savior. Declared the Apostle Paul: "The chalice of benediction which we bless, is it not the communion of the blood of Christ? And the bread which we break, is it not the partaking of the body of the Lord?" (1 Cor. 10:16)

....Receive ye the Holy Ghost. Whose sins you shall forgive, they are forgiven them; and whose sins you shall retain, they are retained." (John 20:19-23). "Amen I say to you, whatsoever you shall bind upon earth, shall be bound also in heaven; and whatsoever you shall loose upon earth, shall be loosed also in heaven." (Matt. 18:18) "Take heed to yourselves, and to the whole flock, wherein the Holy Ghost hath placed you bishops, to rule the church of God ..." (Acts. 20:28) "And when they had ordained to them priests in every church, and had prayed with fasting, they commended them to the Lord, in whom they believed." (Acts 14:22). " He that heareth you, heareth me; and he that despiseth you, despiseth me; and he that despiseth me, despiseth Him that sent me." - Luke 10:16

Catholic Church is the church most united in Christ. The spectacle of one billion Catholics, three-fifths of all professed Christians, perfectly, indomitably united in belief, in organization, and in worship - the historical fact that Catholics, consistently the largest body of Christians in the world, have always been thus perfectly united - was evidence nobody can not ignore. Here is the unity of Bible prophecy - nowhere else on the Christian scene was there a unity nearly so compact, nearly so long-lived. Nowhere else on the Christian scene was there a unity so obviously permanent.
michael

Hamilton, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2014

Judged:

Anthony and ReginaM both posting to me on the same day. Its a miracle and ,must be a sign from above!
michael

Hamilton, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2014

Judged:

ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, really? To whom?
You have no self esteem?? No self worth? I sincerely feel sorry for you.You can't do anything without someone else's assistance or approval?

michael

Hamilton, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2014

OldJG wrote:
<quoted text>
Christians pray. Not only for help and things but to thank Him for who He is and all He has done. Do you suppose you chose the right fork in the road, made sound investment decisions, have perfect health, never used illegal drugs, didn't abuse alcohol, drive within the speed limit, have a loving family, have loving grand children, a dog and everyone is top notch with no problems because you are so wonderful and smart? Really? You need get over your wonderful self. Humble yourself and thank the God who created you for providing all of what you have now and will ever have in the future. No Christian I have ever met believes they have done it ALL on their own. If you believe you have done it all on your own then you don't need God....evidently you are God.
Christians pray to Jesus. Jews pray but not to Jesus. Muslims pray to Allah, Buddhists have their own trinity etc.

Is there a deity for everyone? Being born by chance into a particular belief makes your god better than others gods?
hojo

Chanhassen, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2014

Judged:

Jesus and the One True Universal (Catholic) Church---Unbroken History

Jesus said his Church would be "the light of the world." He then noted that "a city set on a hill cannot be hid" (Matt. 5:14). This means his Church is a visible organization. It must have characteristics that clearly identify it and that distinguish it from other churches. Jesus promised, "I will build my Church and the gates of hell will not prevail against it" (Matt. 16:18). This means that his Church will never be destroyed and will never fall away from him. His Church will survive until his return.

Among the Christian churches, only the Catholic Church has existed since the time of Jesus. Every other Christian church is an offshoot of the Catholic Church. The Eastern Orthodox churches broke away from unity with the pope in 1054. The Protestant churches were established during the Reformation, which began in 1517.(Most of today’s Protestant churches are actually offshoots of the original Protestant offshoots.)

Only the Catholic Church existed in the tenth century, in the fifth century, and in the first century, faithfully teaching the doctrines given by Christ to the apostles, omitting nothing. The line of popes can be traced back, in unbroken succession, to Peter himself. This is unequaled by any institution in history.

Even the oldest government is new compared to the papacy, and the churches that send out door-to-door missionaries are young compared to the Catholic Church. Many of these churches began as recently as the nineteenth or twentieth centuries. Some even began during your own lifetime. None of them can claim to be the Church Jesus established.

The Catholic Church has existed for nearly 2,000 years, despite constant opposition from the world. This is testimony to the Church’s divine origin. It must be more than a merely human organization, especially considering that its human members— even some of its leaders—have been unwise, corrupt, or prone to heresy.

Any merely human organization with such members would have collapsed early on. The Catholic Church is today the most vigorous church in the world (and the largest, with a billion members: one sixth of the human race), and that is testimony not to the cleverness of the Church’s leaders, but to the protection of the Holy Spirit.

“Greatest Love”

Since: Aug 08

For His Creation

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2014

michael wrote:
<quoted text>
I thought the nuns were the brides of christ.???
That is,true in that they are never married ..And serve Christ ..And most movement are dedicated to service to our LORD And others,...at least the ones,I knew,...wonderful women

However the CHURCH ..body of believers is,His,bride to be united with Him in heaven..

CHRIST will Return for His,CHURCH ..not a,denomination ...the people who are HIS,
michael

Hamilton, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2014

Judged:

hojo wrote:
Jesus and the One True Universal (Catholic) Church---Unbroken History
Jesus said his Church would be "the light of the world." He then noted that "a city set on a hill cannot be hid" (Matt. 5:14). This means his Church is a visible organization. It must have characteristics that clearly identify it and that distinguish it from other churches. Jesus promised, "I will build my Church and the gates of hell will not prevail against it" (Matt. 16:18). This means that his Church will never be destroyed and will never fall away from him. His Church will survive until his return.
Among the Christian churches, only the Catholic Church has existed since the time of Jesus. Every other Christian church is an offshoot of the Catholic Church. The Eastern Orthodox churches broke away from unity with the pope in 1054. The Protestant churches were established during the Reformation, which began in 1517.(Most of today’s Protestant churches are actually offshoots of the original Protestant offshoots.)
Only the Catholic Church existed in the tenth century, in the fifth century, and in the first century, faithfully teaching the doctrines given by Christ to the apostles, omitting nothing. The line of popes can be traced back, in unbroken succession, to Peter himself. This is unequaled by any institution in history.
Even the oldest government is new compared to the papacy, and the churches that send out door-to-door missionaries are young compared to the Catholic Church. Many of these churches began as recently as the nineteenth or twentieth centuries. Some even began during your own lifetime. None of them can claim to be the Church Jesus established.
The Catholic Church has existed for nearly 2,000 years, despite constant opposition from the world. This is testimony to the Church’s divine origin. It must be more than a merely human organization, especially considering that its human members— even some of its leaders—have been unwise, corrupt, or prone to heresy.
Any merely human organization with such members would have collapsed early on. The Catholic Church is today the most vigorous church in the world (and the largest, with a billion members: one sixth of the human race), and that is testimony not to the cleverness of the Church’s leaders, but to the protection of the Holy Spirit.
Your posts are way too long. Nobody reads them.

Just a heads up!
ReginaM

Toms River, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2014

Judged:

RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
It's,all awful...I agree,...read my post to Robert ...
You were,a child in the old Church...HOW,did parents,react when kids,had a,NORMAL problem with priest or nun...the nuns,and,priests,were ALWAYS,RIGHT .
AND in my school anyway no talk about sex of any kind as,children ..I though VIRGIN Mary was her name,...
Certainly most adults,knew,nothing of perversion ...let alone,ascribe it to the Father.
Because other Churches,..Starbucks,..who ever does,it ..it's,ALL EVIl.
Parents,THEN Did let the Church control their children...And themselves,...no one,would question
No, you're wrong, Rose. My family and the families of my friends most certainly did NOT let the Church control their children. And they did indeed question if they had concerns.
Your experience may have been different, but it was the exception, I assure you.

I understand there's a huge molestation problem among the Baptists and Pentecostals, even more so than the in the one, true Church.....not that that makes it any better, mind you. There's a good web site StopBaptistPredators.com . I've posted info from there many times, but the non-Catholics here say it doesn't happen in their ecclesial gathering spaces or some such nonsense.
All they're really saying is....."Your suffering isn't useful to me. Get back to me when you've been molested by a priest."

Thank goodness, at least you're willing to admit it, even if they won't!

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2014

Judged:

michael wrote:
<quoted text>
Just over two years ago the abuse trials in the catholic church in philadelphia came about. Lies and coverps by those in charge, just like current Minnesota and chicago scandals today. I wrote to the chancellor and archbishop of the arch diocese of Philly. I expressed my anger towards the bishops that were in charge for the previous 30 years that lied and covered up protecting the church and not the victims. The arch bishop did nor respond back. The chancellor wrote back smoothed it all over that there was no real concern. 6 months later 34 priests were charged. So much for his BS!
I posted my letters to the archbishop and chancellor, on this topix forum and I posted the letter on this forum that the chancellor wrote back to me. Catholics on this forum criticized me..
If catholics in great numbers would have put the church leaders feet to the fire, it might have saved many young boys from becoming victims. They still remain silent.
You want something done. Do something about it. Its time for me to start writing more letters to those that have been proven to have intentionally covered up these crimes who allowed more children to become victims.
People write to their mayors and congressmen all the time expressing their view, what's wrong in writing to people in charge who deliberately keep secrets and documents that have thrown victims under the bus.
I will always stand up for victims of crime.
Michael

Peace

Letter writing is a sort of easy way out, venting frustrations and concerns. But of course, if enough of them arrive on someone's desk, attention gets paid.

I think "foot-traffic" is a better way to go. People vote with their feet. And when the pews get empty, the money stops flowing. Legers get looked at, and the home office gets involved.

In this "Age of Information", putting out a "smoothed" over letter is as easy as pie.

Don't think cover-ups occur only in the RCC. Don't you think officials use the "threat" of a lawless society, to keep that society under its thumb? We are simply on information overload right now, the matter is, that lawlessness has been around since laws were made. And choices are made to enforce those that seem to keep the mob appeased....

Peace
Husker

Falls City, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2014

RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually didn't the,apostles and disciples,meet in people's,homes ..share bread and wine,..not as,a,Mass but a special communal meal with believers whereeverctheyvwent ..in each city???
They had Mass, rose.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2014

June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
I suggest that such satiric humor is indeed the best medicine.
June

Peace

Satire does have a tendency to disassemble what looks complicated, it certainly can be good medicine....

Peace
Husker

Falls City, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2014

Judged:

RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
That is,true in that they are never married ..And serve Christ ..And most movement are dedicated to service to our LORD And others,...at least the ones,I knew,...wonderful women
However the CHURCH ..body of believers is,His,bride to be united with Him in heaven..
CHRIST will Return for His,CHURCH ..not a,denomination ...the people who are HIS,
The Catholic Church is Christ's Church, He founded the Church. That Church brought you rose, the bible , the Eucharist, which YOU gave up.
ReginaM

Toms River, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2014

Judged:

Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey, quit picking on Mike, he wrote letter a few years ago!....lol. BTW, I caught that article this morning. I like Simcha, 9 children, I think she's a converted Jew.
lol...I'm tempted to say something childish and whiny like "he did it first!" or "I'm doing it to him the same way he does it to me!"....but I just can't bring myself to, not even in jest. I mean, really, who over the age of three says stuff like that? Besides, he's stewing in his own juice without my help. It's nice that he reads all our posts, though! I'll have to remember to thank him next time!
;)

I like Simcha, too. Didn't know she was a convert. I'm hearing about more and more converts from Judaism lately. Her name certainly sounds Jewish. It's very pretty!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2014

June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
History proved that when one devout religious believer insulted the imaginary deity of another devout religious believer ... there was always trouble ... and nothing has changed.
The burning of the Qur'an by a nutcase Christian was all it took to start riots and more bloodshed.
Religion is the cause of such problems ... and religion has never been a solution to create peace ... NEVER!!!
June

So if in doubt, get the club out?

But that is the solution....The problem with religion is that it is easily hijacked, as are all ideals, and advancement of science.

Women end up disciplining their kids, get the club out?!

Instead, they should be teaching them compassion for others. But children can be stubborn, can't they?

I think more positive incentives for compassion may be a solution....More carrots! Less sticks!

Since: Sep 09

Vanderhoof, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2014

Michael wrote:
<quoted text>
According to you everyone is going bad in a handbasket. Too bad! My life is right on track.
What is your answer, open up the prison doors let everyone out and start all over from scratch?
If everyone lived the way I do, the world would be a much better, safer place. You should give it a try instead of your negativity towards mankind.
I stand up for victms of crime.
I don't have any answers for selfish people, and I suggest that we all fit that category ... even you.
hojo

Chanhassen, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2014

The Christs visible,heirarchical and authoritative Church

The early Church was called BOTH "Orthodox" and "Catholic." St. Ignatius of Antioch, a disciple of the Apostles, calls the Church by both these names as early as A.D. 107. The word “Orthodox” in Greek is “orthódoxos” meaning “right in religion“, or “straight teaching”; and the word “Catholic” is “katholikós” meaning “general” and/or “kathól(ou)” meaning “universally”. >>>>>

Also, the word “katholikos” literally means “the whole in every part.” It is commonly translated “universal.”

Here is what Ignatius says:

"You must all follow the bishop as Jesus Christ follows the Father, and the presbytery as you would the Apostles. Reverence the deacons as you would the command of God. Let no one do anything of concern to the Church
without the bishop. Let that be considered a valid Eucharist which is celebrated by the bishop, or by one whom he appoints. Wherever the bishop appears, let the people be there; just as wherever Jesus Christ is, there is THE CATHOLIC CHURCH." (Ignatius of Antioch to the Smyrnaeans)

Ignatius’ point is that the TRUE Church (the CATHOLIC Church –the Church as it is known in all parts of the world) is found locally with the bishop, as opposed to Gnostic cults and other false sects which claimed to be the true Church. Ergo, here as early as A.D. 107, the Church was already known as “the Catholic Church.” It would have been known by that name while the Apostle John was still alive, since he died only about 7 years earlier than the time when Ignatius is writing. Also, as I said, the term “the Way” was only used by Jewish Christians when speaking to other Jews.
ReginaM

Toms River, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2014

Judged:

RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
The Church was where the Bishop was (it still is)...not individuals deciding on a "do-it-yourself" in their living rooms.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 490,821 - 490,840 of529,570
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

469 Users are viewing the Top Stories Forum right now

Search the Top Stories Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
I want to be a sex slave to elder woman (May '13) 4 min umesh 13
Wake up, Black America!! (Sep '13) 7 min Johnny 1,359
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 13 min WasteWater 255,476
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 27 min gort 715,630
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 40 min Aura Mytha 222,979
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 40 min The Awakener 171,378
Starpower - Ladies dance competition 41 min PDX Dave 1
Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 1 hr WasteWater 93,103
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 1 hr Zioni 114,497