Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News 574,539
The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ. Full Story

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#508036 Jan 22, 2014
OldJG wrote:
<quoted text>
You forgot to post John 2:4, "Jesus saith unto her, Woman, what have I to do with thee? mine hour is not yet come." Jesus rebukes Mary and then Mary says.....John 2:5, "His mother saith unto the servants, Whatsoever he saith unto you, do it." Mary was told to shut up and she tells the servants to shut up and listen. I don't think the servants needed a heads up from Mary do you?
OldJG

You are implying that Jesus rebuked his mother. It is a prejudice you have....

....mine hour is not yet come.

You need to meditate on this part of the verse, in context with the first miracle of Jesus, and symbolic Wedding Feast in Revelation....

It is not a rebuke, but a declaration of what Mary asked of Jesus, and what he was willing to do for her, that is die on the Cross....

Peace

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#508037 Jan 22, 2014
Liam wrote:
<quoted text>
Well thank you Sera! I expect nothin less. I won't deny the Eucharist. You and oldjg can throw me off the cliff before I would deny it!
I am not throwing you off the cliff...See how you twist things? I said you can jump off...You your self...I do not deny the Eucharist either..I do deny your lies.....The Word of God is above the Theotokos thank you very much... Focus Liamson...paint on paint off....

Location hidden

#508038 Jan 22, 2014
Hermeneutics Smutics wrote:
<quoted text>
RE Response to Quotes from Chrysostom supporting Papal Supremacy:
“Peter, the coryphaeus of the choir of apostles, the mouth of the disciples"
Chrysosotom used exalted titles often. So did others during this period, including Augustine. This was a style at the time . We should not infer primary of jurisdiction from these titles.
Chrysostom uses coryphaeus, for example to refer to Peter, This was a general title He uses it to describe Peter, James, John, Andrew and Paul.
St. John Chrysostom:“‘And I say unto thee, Thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my Church’; that is, on the faith of his confession”[St. John, Homily 53 on St. Matthew].
Chrysostom comments:
“He speaks from this time lowly things, on His way to His passion, that He might show His humanity. For He that hath built His Church upon Peter’s confession, and has so fortified it, that ten thousand dangers and deaths are not to prevail over it...”[St. John Chrysostom, Homily 82.3 on St. Matthew]
Rome wishes to apply only to St. Peter:“feed my lambs, feed my sheep”, which Rome wishes to apply only to St. Peter:
Chrysostom comments:
“This was not said to the Apostles and bishops only, but also to each one of us, however humble, to whom has been committed the care of the flock.”[Homilies on St. Matthew, 77th homily.
We know this is also true for Chrysostom because he applies similar titles to the other apostles and did not interpret the rock of Matthew 16 to be Peter.
Chrysostom states that Peter alone did not receive the charge of the world but John and Paul as well
Peter alone was not appointed teacher of the world So was Paul.
Peter was not the sole holder of the keys of heaven. So was John..
Chrysostom places the apostles on an equal footing relative to authority:
Do you not see that the headship was in the hands of these three, especially of Peter and James? This was the chief cause of their condemnation by Herod (Homilies on the Acts of the Apostles, Homily XXVI, p. 169)
The coryphaei, Peter the foundation of the Church, Paul the vessel of election (Contra ludos et theatra 1, PG VI, 265. Cited by Chapman, Studies on the Early Papacy (London: Sheed & Ward, 1928), p. 76)
Chrysostom indicates the apostle John has equality with Peter, receiving the charge of the whole world and the keys with Peter:
And this He did to withdraw them (Peter and John) from their unseasonable sympathy for each other; for since they were about to receive the charge of the world,(Philip Schaff, Nicene and Post-Nicene Fathers (Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1956), Volume XIV, Saint Chrysostom, Homilies on the Gospel of John, Homily 88.1-2, pp. 331-332).
For the Son of thunder, the beloved of Christ, the pillar of the Churches throughout the world, who holds the keys of heaven, who drank the cup of Christ, and was baptized with His baptism, who lay upon his Master’s bosom, with much confidence, this man now comes forward to us now (Philip Schaff, Nicene and Post-Nicene Fathers (Homilies on the Gospel of John, Homily 1.1, p. 1).
Chrysostom places Paul on an equal footing with Peter:
The merciful God is wont to give this honor to his servants, that by their grace others may acquire salvation; as was agreed by the blessed Paul, that teacher of the world who emitted the rays of his teaching everywhere (Homily 24, On Genesis..Cited by E. Giles, Documents Illustrating Papal Authority (London: SPCK, 1952), p. 165).
Where the Cherubim sing the glory, where the Seraphim are flying, there shall we see Paul, with Peter, and as chief and leader of the choir of the saints, and shall enjoy his generous love..........these pillars of the Church (1 Cor. 15:38)(Homilies on the Epistle to the Romans, Homily 32, Ver. 24, pp. 561-562.).
Hey daddy!! Can I go to a concert tonight? LOL
michael

Hamilton, Canada

#508039 Jan 22, 2014
Seraphima wrote:
<quoted text> While I'm growing that back bone you can jump off that cliff....
Its not worth arguing about.
michael

Hamilton, Canada

#508040 Jan 22, 2014
Liam wrote:
<quoted text>
Well thank you Sera! I expect nothin less. I won't deny the Eucharist. You and oldjg can throw me off the cliff before I would deny it!
You need a hobby.

You should be glad I am here to guide you
Liam

Chicago, IL

#508041 Jan 22, 2014
Seraphima wrote:
<quoted text> I am not throwing you off the cliff...See how you twist things? I said you can jump off...You your self...I do not deny the Eucharist either..I do deny your lies.....The Word of God is above the Theotokos thank you very much... Focus Liamson...paint on paint off....
Protestants believe their KJV canon is the word of God and the only word of God. Not only that, they believe their private interpretations of it are still the unified word of God. They dissect the verses in their Bible to show the word how Mary is nothing special.
That's why I asked. Again I have no idea why you'd get involved against me.

Location hidden

#508042 Jan 22, 2014
Liam wrote:
<quoted text>
Protestants believe their KJV canon is the word of God and the only word of God. Not only that, they believe their private interpretations of it are still the unified word of God. They dissect the verses in their Bible to show the word how Mary is nothing special.
That's why I asked. Again I have no idea why you'd get involved against me.
I told you but your not listening....when you said that Jesus loved his mother more than Holy Scripture I disagreed with you. I know what they believe and I disagree with things that the do believe in. But guess what, your not going to change anyones mind are you? You haven't done it in all the years you all have been here have you? I get involved against you for the same reason you do it to me. There's your answer...

Since: Sep 09

Prince George, Canada

#508043 Jan 22, 2014
Husker wrote:
<quoted text> Christ honors His mother, if you had only one month of Catholic education you would know this. Christ still calls her mother. Mary is our spiritual Mother.
Wacky theology

Mary and Jesus used to worship Jehovah when he taught that Judaism was DIVINE.

Now they worship the no-name god that favors only Catholics.

Mary and Jesus are both turn-coats.

:)

Prince George, Canada

#508044 Jan 22, 2014
michael wrote:
<quoted text>
Centuries before the Jesus story, were gods that people worshipped that also claimed to be sons of god, performed miracles, and promised eternal salvation. I am sure you know this.
Christianity invented their own son of god, that now shares the same stories of those that came before.
Christians don't want to consider that there were other myths long before Christianity with almost identical stories to the Jesus-myth.

Christians demand to feel SPECIAL and that means they demand that "God" loves only them.

Prince George, Canada

#508045 Jan 22, 2014
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
I;m sick and tired of your silly questions about me, in a forum that has no bearing upon my belief at all.
That's quite the dodge.

June VanDerMark wrote:

<quoted text>
I was referring to your "spiritual" belief ... not whether (for instance) too much chocolate causes cancer.

What do you believe you still have a need to learn concerning the care of and desired destination of your supposed "spirit???"

Prince George, Canada

#508046 Jan 22, 2014
michael wrote:
<quoted text>
The reason Christianity is growing in the east is because poor uneducated people are being promised fresh water wells and schools for their children if they join up. Using a carrot to convince people to give up their thousand year old traditions is just not right.
Christianity in the west is dying out because educated
People today think for themselves.
What a shame they have to use such manipulation to gain converts.

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#508047 Jan 22, 2014
Husker wrote:
<quoted text> Christ honors His mother, if you had only one month of Catholic education you would know this. Christ still calls her mother. Mary is our spiritual Mother.
john 3:16

I see no distinction given in that verse preferring one person over another. when it comes to the Love of God.

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#508049 Jan 22, 2014
Seraphima wrote:
Can someone perform an exorcism on me! I got husker trying to control what I know and don't know.....
easy, just say these words.

GET THEE BEHIND ME, satan(sp. husker)

“HAVE A BLESSED ”

Since: Aug 08

New Year

#508050 Jan 22, 2014
Seraphima wrote:
Can someone perform an exorcism on me! I got husker trying to control what I know and don't know.....
Well no..But I think your string enough to resist anything that comes,from that source ..just a,guess??

You know,darn well exactly what you know,...say high to y our daddy o for me,..Lol..
Weirdest thing I saw,posted on here ...well except for a few,others I've seen.

Strange,ideas

Prince George, Canada

#508051 Jan 22, 2014
Robert F wrote:
<quoted text>
But let me say, no God did not lie to the Jews in their "choseness".
You omitted using the title "Jehovah."

So why are you not faithful to ONLY Judaism?

Within the concept of theology, if Judaism was good enough for GOD ... shouldn't it be good enough for YOU???

Prince George, Canada

#508052 Jan 22, 2014
Robert F wrote:
<quoted text>
God did not in choosing the Jews say, that you are exclusively going to inherit, but more or less if you follow the Commandments, things will be going well for you and you will inherit.
"Always within the framework of discussing theology."

So Jesus and Mary left Judaism to follow Catholic commandments and that is why you believe that Catholicism is superior to Judaism???

It that your supposed "reasoning???"

Prince George, Canada

#508053 Jan 22, 2014
Hermeneutics Smutics wrote:
<quoted text>
RE Response to Quotes from Chrysostom supporting Papal Supremacy:
Wacky theology put forth by wacky men.

John Chrysostom believed it was only natural that because he hated the Jews, that Jesus also had to hate the Jews.

Those church fathers were a nasty lot of Jew-haters.
Husker

Falls City, NE

#508054 Jan 22, 2014
Seraphima wrote:
<quoted text> While I'm growing that back bone you can jump off that cliff....
That is a horrible thing to say. You are very immature and combative.

Prince George, Canada

#508055 Jan 22, 2014
Robert F wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't in general get into a Bible versus Bible debate.
How about preaching from one of the Jewish Bibles for a change of pace?
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>

Hebrew Bible

The oldest extant manuscripts of the Masoretic Text date from approximately the 9th century CE,[20] and the Aleppo Codex (once the oldest complete copy of the Masoretic Text, but now missing its Torah section) dates from the 10th century.

Tanakh (Hebrew: &#1514;&#1504;" &#1498;) reflects the threefold division of the Hebrew Scriptures, Torah ("Teaching"), Nevi'im ("Prophets") and Ketuvim ("Writings").

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bible

Prince George, Canada

#508056 Jan 22, 2014
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Wacky theology
Mary and Jesus used to worship Jehovah when he taught that Judaism was DIVINE.
Now they worship the no-name god that favors only Catholics.
Mary and Jesus are both turn-coats.
:)
turn·coat

noun

: a person who stops being a member of a group in order to join another group that opposes

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/tur...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 11 min Pokay 269,095
sexy body massage 97005..74796 for ladies in baddi (Apr '12) 11 min Gurdev singh 3
If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 11 min JesusIsResurrection 997
Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 14 min TheNorthRemembers 97,933
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 21 min Next Victim Please 810,627
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 39 min Seentheotherside 608,293
4 word game (use same Letter) (Mar '13) 43 min -TheExam- 1,382
Straight guys: Would you ever have intercourse ... (Jul '12) 3 hr busted 165
More from around the web