Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 679389 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Since: Sep 09

Surrey, Canada

#507432 Jan 20, 2014
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text>
BTW morals are developed by knowing the difference between good and bad, and right and wrong behavior,
I disagree.

When the conscience can be trained to believe that murdering innocent people as heretics is not only right, but even righteous ... it is proof-positive that we can't always trust our own judgment.

Morals are often taught as being based on cultural whims, and when religion rules in cultures ... anything seems to go whichever way the theologians teach the followers to believe is true.

Surrey, Canada

#507433 Jan 20, 2014
Gods R Delusions but Mine wrote:
<quoted text>
But your fellow Christians were ALL Catholic at the time you stole their Holy Book and claimed it as your own.
Why doesn't your god give you your own book, not someone else's?
That way, there'd be less confusion -- and tens of millions of innocent peasants would not have been slaughtered in the 30 Years War, and other religious wars.
Using reason and logic, one can only conclude that your god finds war amusing.
Do you find war and death amusing too?
If not, why worship such an inconsiderate, immoral god?
Get your own holy book.
Ramen
The early bibles never included the word homosexual. The new interpreters of the WORD however wanted to make it plain that "God" is indeed a homophobic psychopathic bully.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>

1 Corinthians 6:9

Douay-Rheims Bible
Know you not that the unjust shall not possess the kingdom of God? Do not err: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers,

1 Corinthians 6:9

World English Bible
Or don't you know that the unrighteous will not inherit the Kingdom of God? Don't be deceived. Neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor male prostitutes, nor homosexuals,

http://bible.cc/1_corinthians/6-9.htm
Liam

Detroit, MI

#507434 Jan 20, 2014
<quoted text>
"The Bishop of Rome is protected from error when it comes down to a doctrinal truth that may need clarification. But really that doesn't happen often."
Then why would a "protected from error" doctrinal truth ever need to be changed?
It is documented fact that some protected from error "truths" were changed (no salvation outside church, for one), and no amount of rhetorical spin ...
Catholic doctrine can't change.
Catholic doctrine can develope though. But never to mean something opposite. Sometimes things happend throughout history that required new clarifications. "no salvation outside of the Church" is still true. But it was made before the Protestant phenomena began. Even before that, the Church recognized that God is not bound by the same things we are. Vatican II clarified that beautifully imo. Look it up if you're interested.

Surrey, Canada

#507435 Jan 20, 2014
OldJG wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks again for revealing your Biblical ignorance.
Hahahahaha

Surrey, Canada

#507436 Jan 20, 2014
<quoted text>
WOW...
The post above is the ONLY Christian post that I scanned this morning which doesn't attack and call names.
That's because this poster has taken his delusion to a higher level, so that no one can understand or answer.
Ramen
If people would all come to conclude that the bibles are written in languages that they shouldn't even try to understand ... they would put the books down and refer to all religion as a whole lot of bunk.

Instead ... they are certain that they can MASTER the words and in so doing, become DIVINE tellers of truth.

If religion didn't result in causing such harm, it would be hilarious to watch all the humans preaching at each other ... "I spot ONLY truth in these words, and when you don't agree with me, you are liars."
ReginaM

Toms River, NJ

#507437 Jan 20, 2014
Seraphima wrote:
<quoted text> I guess I am suppose to see Christ in a trash talken catholic??
Yes....if you're a Christian. The same way others have to try to see Christ in you.

God is in everyone’s life.
Even if the life of a person has been a disaster,
even if it is destroyed by vices, drugs or anything else,
God is in this person’s life.
You can, you must try to seek God
in every human life.
Although the life of a person
is a land full of thorns and weeds,
there is always a space
in which the good seed can grow.
You have to trust God.

Pope Francis

Surrey, Canada

#507438 Jan 20, 2014
OldJG wrote:
OldJG wrote:
Leviticus 20:13 "If a man lies with a male as with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination; they shall surely be put to death; their blood is upon them."
If a man lies with a male as WITH A WOMAN, "both of them" have committed an abomination; THEY SHALL SURELY BE "PUT TO DEATH"; their BLOOD IS UPON THEM.
SHOULD SURELY BE PUT TO DEATH! Apparently God is not kidding is He. PUT TO DEATH! Wow. God says put them to death but our pitiful society elects them as public officials to further promote their abomination.
If it was legal in law today ... would YOU put homosexuals to death???
Truth

Leesburg, VA

#507439 Jan 20, 2014
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
If it was legal in law today ... would YOU put homosexuals to death???
physical death....

spiritual death.....

Sin....they are already spiritually dead because of the sin.....

Surrey, Canada

#507440 Jan 20, 2014
Robert F wrote:
<quoted text>
Inquistiors were generally sent after locals were rounded up by the legal authorities!
Had the pope not agreed with the Inquisitors, there would have been NO Inquisition.

The inquisitors were the ones who inquired and hunted down those they labeled as heretics.

I pointed out to you the meaning of the word "secular" ... but as usual ... nothing sinks into your brain if it doesn't shine a glowing LIGHT on your religion.

The fact that you insist on protecting the image of your Catholic religion as a holy institution, bespeaks of your character, and from my perception your character is nothing of which to brag.
Gods R Delusions but Mine

Orlando, FL

#507441 Jan 20, 2014
Liam wrote:
<quoted text>
Catholic doctrine can't change.
Catholic doctrine can develope though. But never to mean something opposite. Sometimes things happend throughout history that required new clarifications. "no salvation outside of the Church" is still true. But it was made before the Protestant phenomena began. Even before that, the Church recognized that God is not bound by the same things we are. Vatican II clarified that beautifully imo. Look it up if you're interested.
This is called rhetorical spin. "Catholic doctrine can develope though."

Logic tells us that only one of these statements can be true.....

1: Old Papal teaching -- "There is no salvation outside the church."

2: New Papal teaching -- "There is salvation outside the Church."

BTW, this is not restricted to Protestants as your post implies. There wasn't a hint of Church teaching that a heretic such as myself could possibly be saved.

That sir is a FUNDAMENTAL CHANGE in everything that was taught and believed for well over 1000 years.

No true God requires such blatant spin. It doesn't make the CC appear consistent in their most basic ideals - like who your god tells you who can be saved.

Ramen

Surrey, Canada

#507442 Jan 20, 2014
<quoted text>
I believe you.
Maybe Jesus HAS returned.
Some devout believers claim that he lives in THEM, while evil spirits live in others.

Religion is quite the imaginary entertainment.

Orlando, FL

#507443 Jan 20, 2014
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
If people would all come to conclude that the bibles are written in languages that they shouldn't even try to understand ... they would put the books down and refer to all religion as a whole lot of bunk.
Instead ... they are certain that they can MASTER the words and in so doing, become DIVINE tellers of truth.
If religion didn't result in causing such harm, it would be hilarious to watch all the humans preaching at each other ... "I spot ONLY truth in these words, and when you don't agree with me, you are liars."
My God has caused no intentional harm to its own creation.

Come to the light June.

Ramen

“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#507444 Jan 20, 2014
<quoted text>
Is there anyone else here who claims people are "lying" more than you?
Everyone is "lying through their teeth" except you.
According to the same Bible, everyone else is supported by Scripture too. Galatians 3:26 for example.
Your faith seems based on calling others names -- and picking and choosing which verse you want to believe are literal, while ignoring most others.
That's how a delusion works. You must numb your mind and ignore the obvious.
Ramen
And the (!) mark sticks a lot on his keyboard! I bet it's possessed too!
Liam

Detroit, MI

#507445 Jan 20, 2014
chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
You said: I would imagine the fellow Bishops would look at Pope Francis as a fellow worker, but recognize his office is higher up in the hierarchy.
They look at him as a fellow worker and yet bow and kiss his hand every time they see him....interesting Clay
You said: Is the Church the pillar and foundation of truth, or the Bible?- Christ is
Why did Paul rebuke Peter if Peter has supremacy? Do you think maybe Paul didn't get the memo about what Christ made Peter??
I told you last week already. I see you completely ignored it. How do you function like that?

If need be, Bishops could rebuke Pope Francis publicly, just like Paul did to Peter. Should I say it again? Only to have you return to the compound and completely ignore what you heard?

Jesus Christ installed a Church and put Peter in charge.(Matthew 16:18;
The Church is the pillar and foundation of truth.(Tim 3:15)
If there is an issue, tell it to the Church
(Matthew 18:17).

Your strange new Gospel reverses all those things.
The Church isn't the foundation, Jesus is.(well duh if you wanna get technical and play word games)

If there is an issue, you don't tell it to the Church, you open up your KJV and decide for yourself.

Jesus didn't give Peter the keys, He gave them to you!!

Surrey, Canada

#507446 Jan 20, 2014
michael wrote:
<quoted text>
Will the real god please stand up!!!!!
The closest you can get to an imaginary god, is through the images that reside in the minds of the human prophets, and as is plain, human prophets are scattered all over the earth.

If only their images would coincide
They could unit ... rather than divide

Orlando, FL

#507447 Jan 20, 2014
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Some devout believers claim that he lives in THEM, while evil spirits live in others.
Religion is quite the imaginary entertainment.
You must not blame the one true God just because of the many disgusting, angry, violent, pathetic, and moronic failures of the followers of false gods.

Ramen
Liam

Detroit, MI

#507448 Jan 20, 2014
<quoted text>
This is called rhetorical spin. "Catholic doctrine can develope though."
Logic tells us that only one of these statements can be true.....
1: Old Papal teaching -- "There is no salvation outside the church."
2: New Papal teaching -- "There is salvation outside the Church."
BTW, this is not restricted to Protestants as your post implies. There wasn't a hint of Church teaching that a heretic such as myself could possibly be saved.
That sir is a FUNDAMENTAL CHANGE in everything that was taught and believed for well over 1000 years.
No true God requires such blatant spin. It doesn't make the CC appear consistent in their most basic ideals - like who your god tells you who can be saved.
Ramen
Are you Free Mind? if so, I remember a Catholic Priest on this forum eloquently explaining this to you. I remember other Catholics giving you a few links for further reading. I remember myself posting the entire clarification from the catechism to you. Others gave you scripture verses and writings from the Apostolic fathers.

Translation: you could care less what we actually teach. No matter what, your free mind is made up. So I see no reason to get into a dialogue with ya.
Truth

Leesburg, VA

#507449 Jan 20, 2014
chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
You said: I would imagine the fellow Bishops would look at Pope Francis as a fellow worker, but recognize his office is higher up in the hierarchy.
They look at him as a fellow worker and yet bow and kiss his hand every time they see him....interesting Clay
You said: Is the Church the pillar and foundation of truth, or the Bible?- Christ is
Why did Paul rebuke Peter if Peter has supremacy? Do you think maybe Paul didn't get the memo about what Christ made Peter??
Chuck,

Peter saw himself as a fellow elder, one of many.....

1 Peter 5:1

5 To the elders among you, I appeal as a fellow elder and a witness of Christ’s sufferings who also will share in the glory to be revealed:

Surrey, Canada

#507450 Jan 20, 2014
<quoted text>
"The Bishop of Rome is protected from error when it comes down to a doctrinal truth that may need clarification. But really that doesn't happen often."
Then why would a "protected from error" doctrinal truth ever need to be changed?
It is documented fact that some protected from error "truths" were changed (no salvation outside church, for one), and no amount of rhetorical spin makes sense in any open debate. It takes a leap of faith.
And yet another reason why 90% of Catholics were born that way and indoctrinated as youth. It makes no sense when historical facts are so available today.
Hitler was wise to use the CC as an organizational prototype.
The popes never agreed with each other concerning what was doctrinal.

Pope Formosus was dug up from his grave and put on trial, simply because the new pope referred to Formosus as a perjurer.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>

The Cadaver Synod (also called the Cadaver Trial or, in Latin, the Synodus Horrenda) is the name commonly given to the posthumous ecclesiastical trial of Catholic Pope Formosus, held in the Basilica of St. John Lateran in Rome during January of 897.[1] The trial was conducted by Formosus's successor, Pope Stephen (VI) VII. Stephen accused Formosus of perjury and of having acceded to the papacy illegally. At the end of the trial, Formosus was pronounced guilty and his papacy retroactively declared null. The Cadaver Synod is remembered as one of the most bizarre episodes in the history of the medieval papacy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadaver_Synod
Truth

Leesburg, VA

#507451 Jan 20, 2014
chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
Chuck,

Something else...

Galatians 2:9

9 James, Cephas[a] and John, those esteemed as pillars, gave me and Barnabas the right hand of fellowship when they recognized the grace given to me. They agreed that we should go to the Gentiles, and they to the circumcised.

*****No where is there a claim that any single man was the pillar of the church.*****

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 16 min River Tam 445,845
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing 56 min River Tam 2,905
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 1 hr Jake999 46,227
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 1 hr UidiotRACEMAKEWOR... 119,382
News Pieces of pig placed on plot of future mosque i... 4 hr discocrisco 1
News Fort Hood Anti-Muslim Backlash Immediate (Nov '09) 4 hr falsefaiths 11,286
Satin is my god (Mar '08) 4 hr Trump Worshiper 2,228
More from around the web