Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 646942 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#506287 Jan 15, 2014
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:

Funny.
You will make comments upon semantics that you can't verify, and then play it off as if you can answer it.
a. BT asked the question, not me. Strike one.
b. "in his own words" is really a discredit to BT, yes - because we all know Jesus didn't write anything down himself, so "his words" are actually not his words.
+ Meaning, if you aren't paying attention - there are no words by Jesus in his own words.
You promote these semantics, but can't accept the semantics that shuts down your religion, huh?
*sighs*
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
Horse puckett...
Is this your response? I'll take it as you being ignorant of the topic and avoidance of answering.

Saying - "I don't know" wouldn't have shown your honesty, but you chose not to.

You sound like the typical Catholic - always double talking, and then running away after you have been found out for being dishonest.

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#506288 Jan 15, 2014
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
I think the Russians have a lot of scepticism about the west because of the destructive secularism and humanism overtaking our society. Notice how they respond to the militant homosexuals in the eastern countries. They didn't like JP II because of Poland and the "Uniates", but seemed good with his theology. I think they were genuinely happy when Benedict was elected. He's such as scholar and student of antiquity. I'm not sure how they feel about Francis yet, but I have a feeling he'll surprise all of us. Yes, the papacy is the real issue. It seems the more humble and accommodating a pope is to the hard feelings the east still harbors towards Rome, the better the relations. Nothing short of complete acquiescence on our part re their demands on the role of the papacy will move them I think at this time. Unfortunately I think there are some serious threats to Christianity on a world-wide scale, I have a feeling things are going to get very bad for us all, that leaders in both Churches will put away the pettiness and realize the danger, which may just be the impetus for reunification. Just my humble opinion.
You are correct for the most part but there will be Some old cal. that will not be moved.
chuck

Dublin, OH

#506289 Jan 15, 2014
Gods R Delusions but Mine wrote:
<quoted text>
You claim to understand the Bible. Your own words.
"why is that atheists believe the Bible contradicts itself when in reality you just don't understand it."
Look in the mirror if you dare. You are preaching.
Admit it. You believe you understand the Bible and denomination that disagrees with your understanding is wrong. Yes or no?
Ramen
Let me re-phrase what I said. I do not understand every single word of the bible but most of it. However, I don't say it contradicts itself because I don't understand some of it.

you do....

In the days of creation God creates Light then another day the Sun..contradiction???
Gods R Delusions but Mine

Orlando, FL

#506290 Jan 15, 2014
chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
True believers don't believe the Bible contradicts itself,. Why? Because we study it. We understand the context of what we're reading.
You and your friends think it does contradict itself. why? Because you don't study it, you reject it and if one can't understand it, you cry contradiction. Sorry friend you lose...
Although, I may have it all wrong and you may be right. I was not away God wrote the Bible. huh...
We agree one one thing.

We both reject at least 95% of all of mankind's religious dogma, all except our own.

So how do you explain this "once or twice" contradiction? Is your god playing a trick?

What was Jesus' prediction regarding Peter's denial?

Before the cock crow - MAT 26:34
Before the cock crow twice - MAR 14:30
chuck

Dublin, OH

#506291 Jan 15, 2014
<quoted text>
Nice dodge.
Just because I point out a simple truth that bothers you, my heart is "hardened."
You have no answer, so you avoid the question and attack my heart. LMAO.
Again..... slavery and the Civil War.
If your delusional god were more clear regarding slavery, then maybe hundreds of thousands of good Americans would not have died in the Civil War.
Whose heart approved of THAT.
Whose heart is HARDENED? My heart, or the heart of your violent, angry, abusive god -- the supposed god who could have been more clear - on the high school level maybe -- so that hundreds of thousands of good Americans would not have died in the Civil War.
Shame on such a low-life god. My God is more moral than your God.
Ramen
No dodge on the Civil War, just wondering why are you concerned about people losing their lives? You have morals...for what?
chuck

Dublin, OH

#506292 Jan 15, 2014
<quoted text>
Nice dodge.
Just because I point out a simple truth that bothers you, my heart is "hardened."
If your delusional god were more clear regarding slavery, then maybe hundreds of thousands of good Americans would not have died in the Civil War.
Whose heart is HARDENED? My heart, or the heart of your violent, angry, abusive god -- the supposed god who could have been more clear - on the high school level maybe -- so that hundreds of thousands of good Americans would not have died in the Civil War.
Ramen
You know what's funny!!! You and your friend June go on a public forum to argue about something you don't believe in.

Not a lot going on huh? lol

Location hidden

#506293 Jan 15, 2014
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Sera is a recent convert to Orthodoxy from protestantism. Her bitterness and anger is probably a carry-over. Her knowledge of Orthodoxy is rudimentary. I would take what she says about the Orthodox with a grain of salt.
If you have something to say about me say it too me....I am NOT the only orthodox that feels this way...Talk to some of the hard core old calendar orthodox and then come back and insult me as you typical catholics do...And you also need to stop using your crystal ball. I had no hatred toward the caltholic church until I came to this forum. I find you prideful catholics disgusting

Orlando, FL

#506294 Jan 15, 2014
chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
Let me re-phrase what I said. I do not understand every single word of the bible but most of it. However, I don't say it contradicts itself because I don't understand some of it.
you do....
In the days of creation God creates Light then another day the Sun..contradiction???
You understand most of the Bible?

Do most or all people who disagree with your understanding go to Hell?

Orlando, FL

#506295 Jan 15, 2014
THE "OTHER MARY!" The Queen of Heaven the other Mary? Wow.

Who was at the Empty Tomb? Is it:

MAT 28:1 In the end of the sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week, came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulchre.

MAR 16:1 And when the sabbath was past, Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James, and Salome, had bought sweet spices, that they might come and anoint him.

JOH 20:1 The first day of the week cometh Mary Magdalene early, when it was yet dark, unto the sepulchre, and seeth the stone taken away from the sepulchre.
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#506296 Jan 15, 2014
Seraphima wrote:
<quoted text> You are correct for the most part but there will be Some old cal. that will not be moved.
Holding a grudge for 1000 years is not really a Christian attribute in my opinion.
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#506297 Jan 15, 2014
Seraphima wrote:
<quoted text> If you have something to say about me say it too me....I am NOT the only orthodox that feels this way...Talk to some of the hard core old calendar orthodox and then come back and insult me as you typical catholics do...And you also need to stop using your crystal ball. I had no hatred toward the caltholic church until I came to this forum. I find you prideful catholics disgusting
I didn't start it by calling your church an abortion. I think you need to mature a bit as a Christian.

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#506298 Jan 15, 2014
The Integrity of the Orthodox Church
This is the Church that took the wrath of the Ottomans rather than accept the condition the Western church required of them ( accept thew Pope) before the Western Church would help protect them.

This is a church who representatives of the Lutheran Church asked to join after the Reformation and refused, based on DOCTRINE.

This is a Church that let the Coptics, Non Chalcedonians split from them on DOCTRINE.

The Orthodox Church cares about Truth, not numbers.

The Catholic Church, on the other hand,accepted Barbarians, Arians, etc into their Church while they held onto Barbarian gods.

The Catholic Church accepted Eastern Rite into the Catholic Church while allowing them to also keep their beliefs as long as they acknowledged the Pope.They were just not allowed to teach their beliefs.

Some Eastern Rite accept some Cath beliefs, some accept all, some accept none of the beliefs except the ones that match their Eastern beliefs.

That ,in no way is true union.

The political correctness I see in some Orthodox at present is some of the Patriarchs talking ecumenism and reunion.

The Patriarchs and the Ecumenical Patriarch have no more defacto power than a common Bishop.

The Church includes also all the Priests, Presbyters, and people.

No disrespect, this is history.
chuck

Dublin, OH

#506299 Jan 15, 2014
<quoted text>
No idea

Location hidden

#506300 Jan 15, 2014
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Sera is a recent convert to Orthodoxy from protestantism. Her bitterness and anger is probably a carry-over. Her knowledge of Orthodoxy is rudimentary. I would take what she says about the Orthodox with a grain of salt.
You think because I have only been orthodox a short time that I don't know what I am talking about?? I bet there are catholics that were born and raised into your faith that are clueless about your faith. You said what you said about me to Laim to insult me and that is why I find you catholics on this forum as nothing more than bullies,sneaky lieing prideful wicked people who think they have all the answers and are the top dog.I had NO hatred to the catholic church up until last year.and it was due to the people on this forum. Yes YOU and your so called Christian buddies that form a wolf like pack to attack those that are not catholic and disagree with your evil empire...say what you will about the reunion of the two churches but when you are clueless to something you no nothing about than its time for you to shut your mouth.After all...your church puts out the info that it wants its people to know about.....
chuck

Dublin, OH

#506301 Jan 15, 2014
<quoted text>
You understand most of the Bible?
Nice dodge

Location hidden

#506302 Jan 15, 2014
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't start it by calling your church an abortion. I think you need to mature a bit as a Christian.
and that was many months ago...I think it is YOU that needs to mature and stop digging for a fight....You and clay both going back and forth trying to provoke me...and you call yourself a Christian.....

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#506303 Jan 15, 2014
<quoted text>
Nice dodge.
Ramen
Gods R Delusions

Peace

Ah, but the Bible is clear regarding slavery. And the type in the U.S., and around the world is not according to the Bible. And if found it were found in Israel at the time of the law, the penalty(as with many things) would have been death....But such was the covenant between God and Israel.

As to the pagans and Gentiles around, God does effect their morality, by conscience, and people take action accordingly.

I think the point I would make is that the slavery, even today's slavery is not the same in essence as declared by the Bible....

Peace

Location hidden

#506304 Jan 15, 2014
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Holding a grudge for 1000 years is not really a Christian attribute in my opinion.
So you are claiming that the orthodox church are not Christians?? Why is the catholic church interested in reunion with non Christians then??...because your church is more interested in nubers and not preserving the faith..thats way

Location hidden

#506305 Jan 15, 2014
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
using your senerio...then why are you holding a grudge against what I said mon ths ago in fact a year ago?? You must not be a Christian IMO..

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#506306 Jan 15, 2014
Hermeneutics Smutics wrote:
The Integrity of the Orthodox Church
This is the Church that took the wrath of the Ottomans rather than accept the condition the Western church required of them ( accept thew Pope) before the Western Church would help protect them.
This is a church who representatives of the Lutheran Church asked to join after the Reformation and refused, based on DOCTRINE.
This is a Church that let the Coptics, Non Chalcedonians split from them on DOCTRINE.
The Orthodox Church cares about Truth, not numbers.
The Catholic Church, on the other hand,accepted Barbarians, Arians, etc into their Church while they held onto Barbarian gods.
The Catholic Church accepted Eastern Rite into the Catholic Church while allowing them to also keep their beliefs as long as they acknowledged the Pope.They were just not allowed to teach their beliefs.
Some Eastern Rite accept some Cath beliefs, some accept all, some accept none of the beliefs except the ones that match their Eastern beliefs.
That ,in no way is true union.
The political correctness I see in some Orthodox at present is some of the Patriarchs talking ecumenism and reunion.
The Patriarchs and the Ecumenical Patriarch have no more defacto power than a common Bishop.
The Church includes also all the Priests, Presbyters, and people.
No disrespect, this is history.
Greetings Herme

Peace

Well, if its history, who am I to argue about it?(smiles)

I am presently a bit saddened by the "modern" Mass. For me there are to many cultures involved.

So for me it is better to just keep focused on Jesus Christ in a personal way. In general, I find myself walking in the waysides, avoiding crowds when possible, and staying away from the city as well.

I think people are suited for the Great Commission in differing ways.

Let the "big boys" talk about ecumenism, I am happy for them. But I am happier with Jesus....

Peace

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 3 min The Hangman Is Hu... 971,803
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 11 min Rosa_Winkel 49,432
Play "end of the word" part 2 (Dec '15) 22 min andet1987 2,109
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 54 min Rosa_Winkel 105,681
Exactly HOW did O.J. Simpson end up being a dou... 1 hr Doctor REALITY 2
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 1 hr Rosa_Winkel 445,752
topix drops human sexuality forum.......this be... 2 hr WasteWater 27
More from around the web