Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 586619 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#506031 Jan 14, 2014
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text>
To put it very simply...posit should be the result of conclusion due to evidence,
... not conclusion due to evidence of posit.
The first is an order of reason(a responsible experiment toward conclusion),
... and the other is a reason to order(an arrangement of assumptions to produce the appearance of #(1)).
Used properly, the only bias should be a bias toward proper conclusion.
Black Thunder 42

Peace

The reality is different when it comes to bias and evidence.

One starts with a presupposition, and generally adds some accumulated evidence(which tends to prove one's point), and makes a conclusion which includes the presupposition. This is the reality. And this is bias.

When you speak of what should be an impartial bias, this is expecting of others, what one is not capable of doing oneself....Kind of goes against the "Golden Rule".

But I agree that critical thinking is not a strong point in modern society. People in general rely on others to think for them, but believe it is their own "original" idea....How self-deceived!

Peace

Since: Sep 09

Fraser Lake, Canada

#506032 Jan 14, 2014
Some women don't believe that abortion does anymore than kill cells in a woman's womb.

Death of cells is (even if a creator just happened to exist) is NOT death of a creator.

That is why some Catholic women refer to abortion as "making angels."

Fraser Lake, Canada

#506033 Jan 14, 2014
Robert F wrote:
<quoted text>
But I agree that critical thinking is not a strong point in modern society.
But YOU have it stored in vast quantities ... RIGHT Robert???

:)

Fraser Lake, Canada

#506034 Jan 14, 2014
Gods R Delusions but Mine wrote:
<quoted text>
Had Mary lived....
That's the point. We know almost nothing about her except she was a very devout Jewish baby factory.
The fact is, within the theology, had Mary stayed faithful to Judaism, she would have simply been perceived by the church-fathers as another vile Jew ... and so would Jesus.

They only became famous because it was taught that they were WISE Jews for leaving Judaism and joining up with the Catholics.

Fraser Lake, Canada

#506035 Jan 14, 2014
Those women of the Catholic faith had it all figured out.

"Thank you heavenly Father for putting this little sinner in my womb, but I have enough sinners now, so I am sending this little sinner back to you to be purified so that you can change it into an angel. Thanks anyway for your intended gift. Bless you and praise you. Amen and Amen."

Fraser Lake, Canada

#506036 Jan 14, 2014
Why do you supposed that a god of perfection would want to place his spirit in the fetus in a woman's womb ... knowing that the fetus would go from a divine state into the state of being a sinner?

That seems counter-productive to me.

He must have some loose screws.

Religion is bunk!

Fraser Lake, Canada

#506037 Jan 14, 2014
Of course if you are a devout believer in reincarnation , you might believe that when you first chose to leave the divine state of perfection, you became caught up in being imperfect and so you are now on a journey to learn lessons through being born again and again into the earthly sphere in order to at some time in the future attain complete enlightenment (perfection) where you can once again fly high in the spiritual atmosphere.

Ain't imagination grand???

Fraser Lake, Canada

#506038 Jan 14, 2014
One of the major problems with religion was, that many devout believers that placed complete faith in what they were taught, believed that they were such sinners, no god in his right mind could love them. They were certain that they were doomed to burn in hell, so they might as well get it over with and end their own lives.

What a shame!

I believe that just as we are, we are whole.
concerned in Brasil

Europe

#506039 Jan 14, 2014
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't see that much different than the revelation of Gabriel to Mohammed in its essence and form, and apparently neither did the early bishops, as it was nearly forbidden in the canon altogether.
The point is-Jesus own words.
What you are relating is the assumption that J of Patmos was visited and instructed by a "ghost" who claimed to be sent from Jesus. Rings badly of the Pauline heresy and known forgeries in Acts and John.
Do you believe the Islamic story? NO?
I can't believe the Christian story either...for mostly the same reasons neither of us believe Mohammed "ghost" story.
You asked and you received if you don't believe its the word of God so be it your loss.

Mohammed came 600 years or so after fact and when one puts his teachings to the test it fails the Bible does not.

The book of Revelation being accepted or not by Bishops is here nor or there for as early church fathers in 2nd century in their writings were quoting as the word of God.. That is good enough for me.

The fact the sacking of Jerusalem took place and that is what Revelation prophecies only confirms its the word of God.
Blessings

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#506040 Jan 14, 2014
Black Thunder 42 wrote:

Really.
Show us where Jesus (in his own words) ever mentions 7 churches.- number and verse...
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
I see nothing that indicates Christ spoke English....which is the language used in my KJV....so from your logic, Christ never spoke a word!!!!
Whom can argue against such wisdom!!!!!
Ignorance.

If Jesus spoke of the churches, then they would still have been translated into your copy.

Again, only if Jesus actually stated them.

Your diversion is noted. Maybe you should take the time to research this detail before saying anymore.
chuck

Dublin, OH

#506041 Jan 14, 2014
June VanDerMark wrote:
One of the major problems with religion is,
it is nothing more than trying to be good by keeping a bunch of rules and traditions which is how your mommy and daddy brought you up. You never were taught the true gospel of Christ. So now you're old and bitter and you want everyone to hear about when in fact it was your mommy and daddy fault.

How close am I Grams? lollololol

Location hidden

#506042 Jan 14, 2014
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
But YOU have it stored in vast quantities ... RIGHT Robert???
June

Peace

I will not disagree with you....

It is obvious when one has rhetoric as part of their curriculum, and when it is not.

It would benefit you greatly to study rhetoric. It was required as a part of a "college" doctorate back in the beginnings of college. Now, since little it taught on how to think, rather than what to think, the art of rhetoric is reserved for those who seek it out....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhetoric

Peace

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#506043 Jan 14, 2014
concerned in Brasil wrote:
<quoted text>
.....if you don't believe its the word of God so be it your loss.
If he chooses to believe differently - how is that a "loss"??

Please explain.

I think you are missing many facts.

Location hidden

#506044 Jan 14, 2014
Working for the Lord wrote:
<quoted text> What does it mean to worship in Spirit and Truth?| J St ...
jstchurchofchrist.com/...
What does it mean to worship in spirit and truth? Jesus tells us that the true worshippers will worship in spirit and truth (Jn. 4:23-24)But the hour is coming ...
Greetings Working for the Lord

Peace

I listened to the whole sermon. I was afraid, after the first ten minutes that the whole thing would be on what "worshipping in spirit and truth" was NOT. But it changed to a better more positive message.

Although I found it to be helpful, my only disclaimer would be "hanging the audience" with a sort of implied threat, that "we" have the rights to worshipping, while all others are false or ignorant worshippers(So, come and be a part of us!).

I could imagine that if one sits through enough of these types of sermons, there is little questioning, if one MUST hang the audience at the end....It is sort of like going to the old time serial movies, with the cliff-hanger, or soap opera of today's era.

But I commend the main body of the preaching, and the speaker. It holds together extremely well, and I think it brings home the concept well....

Peace

P.S. Next time, I hope you can give me your version to an answer....
concerned in Brasil

Europe

#506045 Jan 14, 2014
Liam wrote:
<quoted text>
I can debate my way just fine. Your problem is that I'm asking you to rationale your position on Mary. You can't. Your simply using Bible verses. There is not much detail about Mary in scripture, but there doesn't need to be either. She is the Holy Ark who brought the word of God made flesh into this world. Nuff said. Does the Bible explicitly say she's a Holy Ark? No, but just like the early Christians, you can see that the ark that brought the word of God to Moses was a chest container - so Holy, I might add, that the Jews wouldn't dare enter it. How much more Holy then, would the ark that brought Jesus Christ here be?
The role of Mary grew with the Church. If Jesus loved her, you should love her too. If Jesus honored His Mother, we should honor her too. If Jesus asked Mary for help while growing up, we certainly can too.
And btw, Mary isn't dead. She's in Heaven. "behold I saw a woman clothed with the Sun". The Church that Jesus started is the new Israel. Mary is the Mother of this new covenant family, which is the Universal Church.
& Check out Guadalupe, Lourdes and Fatima for further reading.
You finally got one thing right "I simply use the Bible" that contradicts RCC tradition that is correct.

The Word, the Bible is God's word, which is greater than Mary by far it is God's Instructions God breathed instructions for humanity.

Evangelicals don't worship the Word we worship the one true God that gave us the Word, we worship him by being obedient to his Word and among many things the Word states not to go beyond that which is written.

So yes there is not much written about Mary and clearly the RC is in rebellion by going beyond what is written about her and in fact to pray to her and make graven images of her (blonde haired and blue eyed for the most part) and bow and weep before them and pray and worship before them and many other graven images of men is Idolatry according to the Word of God that which your sect contradicts and directly teaches contrary to.

Your Sect is not the one true anything as it contradicts the very WORD of GOD.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#506046 Jan 14, 2014
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
Really.
Show us where Jesus (in his own words) ever mentions 7 churches.- number and verse...
<quoted text>
Ignorance.
If Jesus spoke of the churches, then they would still have been translated into your copy.
Again, only if Jesus actually stated them.
Your diversion is noted. Maybe you should take the time to research this detail before saying anymore.
Do you work at being dumb or is it a natural trait???

This speaks not of being translated...quote: Show us where Jesus (in his own words) ever mentions 7 churches.- number and verse...

There are some words He uttered in Aramaic....(A Semitic language originally of the ancient Arameans but widely used by non-Aramean peoples throughout southwest Asia. Also called Aramean, Chaldean) but I am more inclined to believe in spoke the lamguage "of the day"...Latin...Greek...He brew....
concerned in Brasil

Europe

#506047 Jan 14, 2014
June VanDerMark wrote:
If a woman came to me, and said "If I don't have an abortion I will kill myself, as I can't cope with the thought of bringing another baby into the world" ... I would not drag out a bible and start preaching "morality" at her. I would get her to the nearest abortion clinic immediately, as I would understand her despair, and I would want her to carry on living without what SHE believed would be a burden of such an enormous scale to HER that she could no longer cope.
No bible would EVER get in my way. It never has and it never will.
You could counsel her to give the human being up for adoption and in fact she would have 1000's of couples willing to adopt today.

But continue in your murderous ways and have a murderer inject her with Acid and burn the little guy alive feeling all that pain, or have a vacuum cleaner go into her and rip the little guy literally limb from limb and feeling all that pain you are so Evil its beyond comprehension.

YOUR morality is not existent of Hypocritical evil one.
concerned in Brasil

Europe

#506048 Jan 14, 2014
Robert F wrote:
<quoted text>
concerned in Brasil
Peace
A new day, another try at getting better at living the Christian life....
I consider myself first and foremost a Christian. That means I speak, follow, and identify with Jesus Christ as my Savior.
The quest for perfection, obedience and praise of Jesus Christ, in this world takes on different events in our lives, as He meets us on our level, and not on some imaginary or legalistic mindset we develop(a form of idolatry).
May God bless you and your family in this New Year, and each new day....
Peace
Same for you Robert Blessings in 2014
7 years we both have been in this thread maybe we are both crazy!

Seek and yea shall find is truth 100%
Liam

Chicago, IL

#506049 Jan 14, 2014
concerned in Brasil wrote:
<quoted text>
You finally got one thing right "I simply use the Bible" that contradicts RCC tradition that is correct.
The Word, the Bible is God's word, which is greater than Mary by far it is God's Instructions God breathed instructions for humanity.
Evangelicals don't worship the Word we worship the one true God that gave us the Word, we worship him by being obedient to his Word and among many things the Word states not to go beyond that which is written.
So yes there is not much written about Mary and clearly the RC is in rebellion by going beyond what is written about her and in fact to pray to her and make graven images of her (blonde haired and blue eyed for the most part) and bow and weep before them and pray and worship before them and many other graven images of men is Idolatry according to the Word of God that which your sect contradicts and directly teaches contrary to.
Your Sect is not the one true anything as it contradicts the very WORD of GOD.
"Word the word word word the word."

The word of God was also given orally. Not just what a few of the Apostles managed to pen.
Part of the word of God is the Church the Apostles set up along with the Holy Mass. Those instructions came from Jesus Christ, therefore its the word of God.

You use a few Bible verses that YOU claim contradicts the Catholic Church tradition. Yet ironically, that Bible in you hand is the product of Church tradition. hmmm.
There is not much detailed about Mary. Thats a problem for you but not us. We're smart enough to understand that not everything Jesus said and did is documented in 4 of the Apostles writings.

Idolatry. That's what you approach to the Bible is.
concerned in Brasil

Europe

#506050 Jan 14, 2014
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you work at being dumb or is it a natural trait???
This speaks not of being translated...quote: Show us where Jesus (in his own words) ever mentions 7 churches.- number and verse...
There are some words He uttered in Aramaic....(A Semitic language originally of the ancient Arameans but widely used by non-Aramean peoples throughout southwest Asia. Also called Aramean, Chaldean) but I am more inclined to believe in spoke the lamguage "of the day"...Latin...Greek...He brew....
Are you really making this your stand? It makes you look silly.

Christians believe the Bible is the word of God all of it, and Jesus is the Word and is God.

You just made a post, their your words but you did not speak them via your voice you transmitted them via a keyboard then electrons making a 5 or 0 volts 1 and 0's in Binary language that were translator by a computer to a screen.

Are they not your words anymore simply because you did not use your vocal cords??

No that is absurd to say the least.

The words that Jesus verbally spoke are recorded as such in the Bible they have been transmitted to us via writing not verbal sounds so it is with Revelation.

Why the irrational illogical argument? Either you accept the Bible at face value on all accounts of how Jesus has communicated his word which has been done in more than one way or you do not.

you are not even nit picking you are just being an Idiot

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 3 min Joe Fortuna 831,569
Was Adolf Hitler right after all? (Jun '10) 1 hr TommyEmilou14 17
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 1 hr bad bob 176,592
News Many Tennesseans remain opposed to same-sex unions 1 hr MamasDaddysKuzinsBro 3
Why are white people so insecure ? (Feb '10) 1 hr Whats up 61
is it a good idea to date a mexican guy? (Feb '09) 1 hr Sllskksk 181
News Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 2 hr Smokin Joe 121,747
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 2 hr TIM958 611,974
Why Im no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 2 hr Mr Wiggley 443,009
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 14 hr Tony17 99,363
More from around the web