Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 692109 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#505492 Jan 11, 2014
June VanDerMark wrote:
I suggest that more than a few bibles are missing from this list ... Thomas Jefferson's bible being one.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>
The evolution of the English version of the Bible:
YEAR VERSION
1380 Wycliffe
1525 Tyndale
1535 Coverdale
1537 Matthew
1539 Cranmer
1560 Geneva Bible
1568 Bishops' Bible
1582 Rheims' NT
1611 Authorized Version
1750 Challoner
1881 Revised Version
1901 American Standard Version
1913-1914 Moffatt
1928 Westminster
1945 Knox
1946 RSV
1949 Basic English
1961 New English Bible
1971 The Living Bible
1971 New American Standard Bible
1976 Good News Bible Version
1978 New International Version
1979 New King James Bible
http://www.gagler.com/bible/the_bible_through...
I prefer Jefferson's work. No magic or miracles, just philosophy.

“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#505493 Jan 11, 2014
June VanDerMark wrote:
Whether it's absolute truth or absolute bs ... is the question???
Ya really shouldn't question yer sermons like that pastor June...jist keep on a pimp'n(I mean pump'n) out them massages o' impotentance!! The folks NEEDS ta be telled AND showed it! An YER the perfect example!
Why, I'm nigh brought ta years in Holey admiration!

“GOD SO LOVED US”

Since: Aug 08

He Gave His SON,JESUS Christ

#505494 Jan 11, 2014
DEAREST FATHER ..
I heard a sermon recently about JESUS,IS WITH US ..
none of our works or prayers,get us,into heaven ..

Only him ..he is with us as we type herd ..in our cars,..at work ...if we open our hearts,to HIM ..That is,so true .

No priest or preacher ...daily mass or even charitable work gets,us,to heaven ...ONLY JESUS,
I thank you Father that I heard this,from a CATHOLIC priest

As it gives me great hope in believing WE ALL HAVE YOUR SON
IN COMMON

K ask in His name that your heLping touches eAch and every person on herd and their families ...You know who needs your help ...each issue ..each hour .

I pray for JUNE and those like her who do not Know the love you have for us ...And that your SPIRIT may rid them of every negative thought they hAve for you. IN JESUS,name

This goes,for our country ...as we be one more secular ..I pray your LIGHT may shine in this lAnd

We ask once again in the HOLY name of your Son Jesus Christ that you sAve us rom evil ...And forgive us,as we forgive others,...even if we fall short ..

AMEN
June VanDerMark

Since: Sep 09

Kitwanga, Canada

#505495 Jan 11, 2014
Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>
The KJV was not authorized by the authors but by the king.
The king did not write anything in the KJV, he was not the author of the KJV. He was simply giving his consent to allow others to be the authors.

"Authorized" in the king's case simply meant to give his consent, because he was the one in authority.
June VanDerMark

Kitwanga, Canada

#505496 Jan 11, 2014
Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>
The KJV was not authorized by the authors but by the king.
The king did not write anything in the KJV, he was not the author of the KJV. He was simply giving his consent to allow others to BE the authors.

"Authorized" in the king's case simply meant that because he was the one in authority, he gave his consent.
June VanDerMark

Kitwanga, Canada

#505497 Jan 11, 2014
RoSesz wrote:
DEAREST FATHER ..
AWWWW ... don't be shy. Jehovah would like it if you use his "authorized" name.

tongue in cheek
June VanDerMark

Kitwanga, Canada

#505498 Jan 11, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
I prefer Jefferson's work. No magic or miracles, just philosophy.
Jefferson was certain that he knew the mindset of Jesus. He never even asked the question whether Jesus was a figmented character brought to seeming life by the Catholic church-fathers.

In Jefferson's case, he was heavy into religion! Of course religion is only ever philosophy.

But the attitude of religious-preachers is that THEIR specific sermons are not based on philosophy. They all believe their own sermons are based on universal truth.

I believe we are ALL philosophers.

“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#505499 Jan 11, 2014
pastor june?...

Pastor June??...

{{PASTOR JUNE??}}

Where for art thou PASTOR JUNE??????
Ther's folks out here what's desperadoly need'n yer heal'n an words o' winsdumb!
Why, we got's fellers line'n up fer yer magical remidy ta heal'n right here an now as we speaks! Hope ya don't mind me tak'n the liberty o' tell'n 'em that ya slaps 'em up side o' the head jist like ole' Binney Hinney done it when we wuz watch'n 'em over seas!
Why, perty soon yer gonna have millions o' folks foller'n ya jist like he done!
I'm jist sooooo encited my feets takes ta shuffl'n an I keeps rubb'n ma fingers over that new covered book with the 24 KARAT gold plated words what says "The Holey Udderances o' June" on it! I know we ain't got the insides fer it yet.
June VanDerMark

Kitwanga, Canada

#505500 Jan 11, 2014
Note that King James I "authorized a new version of the scriptures and made a few concessions with the bible. Now what THAT meant is anybody's guess, but it suggests that changes were made, and that means that meddling with the words was allowed.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>>

From the book "The History Of Christianity ... The Church from the Reformation to the Present, Volume 2, by Clyde L. Manschreck ... comes the following.

The Millenary Petition, 1603

This petition, supposedly representing a thousand Puritans, was presented to James I on his way to London. He granted a conference the following year, authorized a new version of the scriptures, and made a few concessions, but he insisted on conformity to the Prayer Book, which was only slightly changed.(Gee and Hardy, Documents Illistrative of English Church History. Cf. Fuller, Church History of Britain.)

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#505501 Jan 11, 2014
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Jefferson was certain that he knew the mindset of Jesus. He never even asked the question whether Jesus was a figmented character brought to seeming life by the Catholic church-fathers.
In Jefferson's case, he was heavy into religion! Of course religion is only ever philosophy.
But the attitude of religious-preachers is that THEIR specific sermons are not based on philosophy. They all believe their own sermons are based on universal truth.
I believe we are ALL philosophers.
Agreed.
June VanDerMark

Kitwanga, Canada

#505502 Jan 11, 2014
I watched a program earlier today where there is a huge debate among the "scholars" to determine whether the papyrus that indicates Jesus was married is fraud or authentic.

The "experts" that are certain it is authentic claim that it was from the second century.

I believe it's quite possible that it is an authentic compilation of ideas from the second century, as the early Christians had all different types of notions about the character of the supposed savior.

But the fact that theologians wrote from many perceptions doesn't mean that anything they wrote back then was based on truth.

Just as occurs with Christians of this era, they are totally divided in their stories and many of them want to brag that they know the one and only true story.
June VanDerMark

Kitwanga, Canada

#505503 Jan 11, 2014
Many Christians of this era live in a dream-world that Christians back at the start of Christianity were living model lives of wonderful morality. I suggest that nothing could be further from the truth. They were totally divided, confused, scared out of the minds of the supposed devil and to a great degree emotionally unstable.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>

From the book,“History of Christianity,” by Clyde L. Manschreck … comes the following ……..

In the fourth and fifth centuries, literally thousands of Christians expressed their religion in monasticism, often in bizarre ways, without benefit of sacraments, Bible, or clergy. They lived in caves, trees, tombs, holes, and mud huts. They killed the bath, encouraged vermin, fasted inordinately, seldom slept, wore coarse clothing, went barefooted, and attempted to outdo each one another in physical discomfort. The more they tried not to think of sex, the more they failed, so that sex was a constant problem. Some would not look at women, others would not allow a female cat about.
Jumper The Wise

Morgantown, KY

#505504 Jan 11, 2014
June VanDerMark wrote:
Many Christians of this era live in a dream-world that Christians back at the start of Christianity were living model lives of wonderful morality. I suggest that nothing could be further from the truth. They were totally divided, confused, scared out of the minds of the supposed devil and to a great degree emotionally unstable..
So if anyone should understand what those early Christian people went through it its you June.

The feeling of being out there alone and just hoping that somewhere out there others like you need help to find the strenth to put down the bottel.

I know its hard myself,but its worth it june you're not alone in this.

Addiction is such a struggle.It makes orphans of children and widows of wives.

But with love and understanding,we can overcome anything.

Remember June like the sobriety red book says:'One is too many,and a thousand is never enough.'
LTM

Sutton, Canada

#505505 Jan 11, 2014
"Is Jesus a myth? Is Jesus just a copy of the pagan gods of other ancient religions?"

Answer: There are a number of people claiming that the accounts of Jesus as recorded in the New Testament are simply myths borrowed from pagan folklore, such as the stories of Osiris, Dionysus, Adonis, Attis, and Mithras. The claim is that these myths are essentially the same story as the New Testament’s narrative of Jesus Christ of Nazareth. As Dan Brown claims in The Da Vinci Code,“Nothing in Christianity is original.”

To discover the truth about the claim that the Gospel writers borrowed from mythology, it is important to (1) unearth the history behind the assertions,(2) examine the actual portrayals of the false gods being compared to Christ,(3) expose any logical fallacies being made, and (4) look at why the New Testament Gospels are trustworthy depictions of the true and historical Jesus Christ.

The claim that Jesus was a myth or an exaggeration originated in the writings of liberal German theologians in the nineteenth century. They essentially said that Jesus was nothing more than a copy of popular dying-and-rising fertility gods in various places—Tammuz in Mesopotamia, Adonis in Syria, Attis in Asia Minor, and Horus in Egypt. Of note is the fact that none of the books containing these theories were taken seriously by the academics of the day. The assertion that Jesus was a recycled Tammuz, for example, was investigated by contemporary scholars and determined to be completely baseless. It has only been recently that these assertions have been resurrected, primarily due to the rise of the Internet and the mass distribution of information from unaccountable sources.

cont
LTM

Sutton, Canada

#505506 Jan 11, 2014
cont
This leads us to the next area of investigation—do the mythological gods of antiquity really mirror the person of Jesus Christ? As an example, the Zeitgeist movie makes these claims about the Egyptian god Horus:

• He was born on December 25 of a virgin: Isis Mary
• A star in the East proclaimed his arrival
• Three kings came to adore the newborn “savior”
• He became a child prodigy teacher at age 12
• At age 30 he was “baptized” and began a “ministry”
• Horus had twelve “disciples”
• Horus was betrayed
• He was crucified
• He was buried for three days
• He was resurrected after three days

However, when the actual writings about Horus are competently examined, this is what we find:

• Horus was born to Isis; there is no mention in history of her being called “Mary.” Moreover,“Mary” is our Anglicized form of her real name, Miryam or Miriam.“Mary” was not even used in the original texts of Scripture.
• Isis was not a virgin; she was the widow of Osiris and conceived Horus with Osiris.
• Horus was born during month of Khoiak (Oct/Nov), not December 25. Further, there is no mention in the Bible as to Christ’s actual birth date.
• There is no record of three kings visiting Horus at his birth. The Bible never states the actual number of magi that came to see Christ.
• Horus is not a “savior” in any way; he did not die for anyone.
• There are no accounts of Horus being a teacher at the age of 12.
• Horus was not “baptized.” The only account of Horus that involves water is one story where Horus is torn to pieces, with Isis requesting the crocodile god to fish him out of the water.

cont
LTM

Sutton, Canada

#505507 Jan 11, 2014
cont
Horus did not have a “ministry.”
• Horus did not have 12 disciples. According to the Horus accounts, Horus had four demigods that followed him, and there are some indications of 16 human followers and an unknown number of blacksmiths that went into battle with him.
• There is no account of Horus being betrayed by a friend.
• Horus did not die by crucifixion. There are various accounts of Horus’ death, but none of them involve crucifixion.
• There is no account of Horus being buried for three days.
• Horus was not resurrected. There is no account of Horus coming out of the grave with the body he went in with. Some accounts have Horus/Osiris being brought back to life by Isis and then becoming the lord of the underworld.

When compared side by side, Jesus and Horus bear little, if any, resemblance to one another.

Jesus is also compared to Mithras by those claiming that Jesus Christ is a myth. All the above descriptions of Horus are applied to Mithras (e.g., born of a virgin, being crucified, rising in three days, etc.). But what does the Mithras myth actually say?

• He was born out of a solid rock, not from any woman.
• He battled first with the sun and then with a primeval bull, thought to be the first act of creation. Mithras killed the bull, which then became the ground of life for the human race.
• Mithras’s birth was celebrated on December 25, along with winter solstice.
• There is no mention of his being a great teacher.
• There is no mention of Mithras having 12 disciples. The idea that Mithras had 12 disciples may have come from a mural in which Mithras is surrounded by the twelve signs of the zodiac.
• Mithras had no bodily resurrection. Rather, when Mithras completed his earthly mission, he was taken to paradise in a chariot, alive and well. The early Christian writer Tertullian did write about Mithraic cultists re-enacting resurrection scenes, but this occurred well after New Testament times, so if any copycatting was done, it was Mithraism copying Christianity.

cont
LTM

Sutton, Canada

#505508 Jan 11, 2014
cont
More examples can be given of Krishna, Attis, Dionysus, and other mythological gods, but the result is the same. In the end, the historical Jesus portrayed in the Bible is unique. The alleged similarities of Jesus’ story to pagan myths are greatly exaggerated. Further, while tales of Horus, Mithras, and others pre-date Christianity, there is very little historical record of the pre-Christian beliefs of those religions. The vast majority of the earliest writings of these religions date from the third and fourth centuries A.D. To assume that the pre-Christian beliefs of these religions (of which there is no record) were identical to their post-Christian beliefs is naive. It is more logical to attribute any similarities between these religions and Christianity to the religions’ copying Christian teaching about Jesus.

This leads us to the next area to examine: the logical fallacies committed by those claiming that Christianity borrowed from pagan mystery religions. We’ll consider two fallacies in particular: the fallacy of the false cause and the terminological fallacy.

If one thing precedes another, some conclude that the first thing must have caused the second. This is the fallacy of the false cause. A rooster may crow before the sunrise every morning, but that does not mean the rooster causes the sun to rise. Even if pre-Christian accounts of mythological gods closely resembled Christ (and they do not), it does not mean they caused the Gospel writers to invent a false Jesus. Making such a claim is akin to saying the TV series Star Trek caused the NASA Space Shuttle program.

The terminological fallacy occurs when words are redefined to prove a point. For example, the Zeitgeist movie says that Horus “began his ministry,” but the word ministry is being redefined. Horus had no actual “ministry”—nothing like that of Christ’s ministry. Those claiming a link between Mithras and Jesus talk about the “baptism” that initiated prospects into the Mithras cult, but what was it actually? Mithraic priests would place initiates into a pit, suspend a bull over the pit, and slit the bull’s stomach, covering the initiates in blood and gore. Such a practice bears no resemblance whatsoever to Christian baptism—a person going under water (symbolizing the death of Christ) and then coming back out of the water (symbolizing Christ’s resurrection). But advocates of a mythological Jesus deceptively use the same term,“baptism,” to describe both rites in hopes of linking the two.

cont
LTM

Sutton, Canada

#505509 Jan 11, 2014
cont
This brings us to the subject of the truthfulness of the New Testament. No other work of antiquity has more evidence to its historical veracity than the New Testament. The New Testament has more writers (nine), better writers, and earlier writers than any other document from that era. Further, history testifies that these writers went to their deaths claiming that Jesus had risen from the dead. While some may die for a lie they think is true, no person dies for a lie he knows to be false. Think about it—if someone was about to crucify you upside down, as happened to the apostle Peter, and all you had to do to save your life was renounce a lie you had knowingly told, what would you do?

In addition, history has shown that it takes at least two generations to pass before myth can enter a historical account. That’s because, as long as there are eyewitnesses to an event, errors can be refuted and mythical embellishments can be exposed. All the Gospels of the New Testament were written during the lifetime of the eyewitnesses, with some of Paul’s Epistles being written as early as A.D. 50. Paul directly appeals to contemporary eyewitnesses to verify his testimony (1 Corinthians 15:6).

The New Testament attests to the fact that, in the first century, Jesus was not mistaken for any other god. When Paul preached in Athens, the elite thinkers of that city said,“‘He seems to be a proclaimer of strange deities,’—because he was preaching Jesus and the resurrection. And they took him and brought him to the Areopagus, saying,‘May we know what this new teaching is which you are proclaiming? For you are bringing some strange things to our ears; so we want to know what these things mean’”(Acts 17:18–20, NASB). Clearly, if Paul were simply rehashing stories of other gods, the Athenians would not have referred to his doctrine as a “new” and “strange” teaching. If dying-and-rising gods were plentiful in the first century, why, when the apostle Paul preached Jesus rising from the dead, did the Epicureans and Stoics not remark,“Ah, just like Horus and Mithras”?

cont
LTM

Sutton, Canada

#505510 Jan 11, 2014
cont
In conclusion, the claim that Jesus is a copy of mythological gods originated with authors whose works have been discounted by academia, contain logical fallacies, and cannot compare to the New Testament Gospels, which have withstood nearly 2,000 years of intense scrutiny. The alleged parallels between Jesus and other gods disappear when the original myths are examined. The Jesus-is-a-myth theory relies on selective descriptions, redefined words, and false assumptions.

Jesus Christ is unique in history, with His voice rising above all false gods’ as He asks the question that ultimately determines a person’s eternal destiny:“Who do you say I am?”(Matthew 16:15).

Read more: http://www.gotquestions.org/Jesus -

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#505511 Jan 11, 2014
Gods R Delusions but Mine wrote:
<quoted text>
We are confirming each other's words.
How do we confirm your "spiritual discernment?" We have no evidence other than your own rants.
Again I ask...
1... Does anyone have any proof? Nope.
2... Is there any outstanding community set-up on Biblical law that I can use as evidence? Nope.
3... Is there any anecdotal evidence that I can see to demonstrate who holds the truth - for example, JC said to judge us by our deeds, not words. Nope?
You are all words and no deeds.
That is reason enough to doubt your ability to discern anything spiritually.
Thanks for confirming my words....You just gave another perfect example of what the Bible says. I am not spiritually discerned....the things of the Spirit of God are!!!!!!

But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why are Europeans a race of savages, thieves, a... (Jun '15) 3 min Paul really is dead 462
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 6 min NotSoDivineMsM 47,058
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 29 min Exposing Devil Lies 619,845
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 37 min Tellthetruth 990,699
beware of raymond rotolo / ps inspections llc 2 hr BEWARE_RAY_ROTOLO 1
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 2 hr waaasssuuup 445,850
LeBron James: Should he STAY or should he GO?? 4 hr Exposing Devil Lies 7
More from around the web