Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 649635 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

concerned in Brasil

Europe

#504575 Jan 6, 2014
Seentheotherside wrote:
<quoted text>
Which has absolutely nothing to do with my post. So here, try again:
"NO!
The bible does NOT use other words for "hell". You are only lied to, that they mean "hell", but they really do not mean "hell".
Don't you ever question their lies?"
So again I ask you do you even know the Greek and Hebrew words in the Bible we translate in the English to Hell?

Apparently not or you would stop with your nonsense.

If you like I give you the words and what they meant in the Hebrew and Greek as I have already in early post with the Greek word found in the NT.

BTW there are two Greek words we translate Hell in the NT. FYI
Liam

Saint Paul, MN

#504576 Jan 6, 2014
concerned in Brasil wrote:
<quoted text>
You clearly do not know your History
It was the Greek Orthodox (catholic) sect that called you Roman Catholic first in the 11 century when you became the first true Protestant sect as the Bishop (pope_ of Rome protested when the Eastern Patriarchs refused to recognize Romes power play and be the Pope of popes. Remember pope is just a translation of Bishop or elder in the Greek.
So it does not go unnoticed by me or any other student of the early church that the assertions of Rome today can not be validated from church practice in the first 600 years of Christendom. It is not till Rome split in the 11th century do we see a pope claiming to be a Pope of popes.
So what you assert is not truth no need to chew on it, you would do well to take a year off study independently of the RCC and check what you assert as fact as opposed to regurgitating from catholic answers and alike that which you have never verified independently before you quote it as fact.
Do you have a link where the Orthodox first called us "Roman" Catholic? I would be very interested in learning about that. From everything I've read, it was the Anglicans who first used it. I'm open to learning new stuff and absolutely would not ignore a new truth if I learned it. I don't voluntarily subscribe to lies. Thanks.

I assume since you believe we were the first protestants, you are an Orthodox? Can I assume you also believe in the Eucharist and practice the Holy Mass and believe in the infallible authority of the Church? Do you reject sola scripture, sola fide too?
I love how people like you say 'we Catholics broke from the Orthodox. And the Orthodox compiled the Bible'. Yet, if you really believed that, why wouldn't you join them?
marge

Leesburg, GA

#504577 Jan 6, 2014
Liam wrote:
<quoted text>
First of all, the Catholic Church doesn't call herself "Roman" for the official title. You guys named it that. "Roman" was a label given to us in the 16th century by Anglican Protestants, who decided they wanted to be thought of as Catholic too. The proper way to say it is "the Catholic Church in Rome" or the "Catholic Church is Syria". The word "catholic" is really an adjective describing the Church of Christ. Universal, One, Unified....Roman is an ok title as long as you use it in the proper context. Your goal of course, is to misuse it to create an image of a barbaric Roman empire with a dictator who wants to steal your KJV bible. I guess why not. You tell us Catholics what we believe anyway, you may as well tell us what we're called too.
I belong to the Cathedral of Saint Paul, MN. We are "Roman Catholic" because we practice the Roman rite set by the diocese of Rome. Across the river in Mpls, there is a Catholic Church that is not Roman Catholic. Its called Saint John the Baptist Byzantine Catholic Church. Not too far from there, another Catholic Church is called "Saint Constantine Ukrainian Catholic Church". In West Saint Paul there is a Catholic Church called "Holy Family Maronite Catholic Church".
If you labeled those parishioners "Roman Catholic" you'd be wrong. They are in communion with the Bishop of Rome but don't follow the Roman missal.
Chew on those truths, then do the fundie fanatical creed and ignore it because it conflicts with your pre determined ideology.
Clay, you didn't address his point about Scripture being final authority;

Notice to the the Bereans did not need a Pope or a Infallible body of governance to tell them how to divide the word.
Notice the Bereans were of more Noble character for doing so according to Apostle Paul and praises them for there actions and does not condemn them as does the RCC today.
10 As soon as it was night, the believers sent Paul and Silas away to Berea. On arriving there, they went to the Jewish synagogue. 11 Now the Berean Jews were of more noble character than those in Thessalonica, for they received the message with great eagerness and examined the Scriptures every day to see if what Paul said was true.

“Life Force One”

Since: Jul 07

The Spiritual Universe

#504578 Jan 6, 2014
LTM wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Marge, How are you Hope your christmas was a good one. I have decide not to celebrate Chrstmas anymore, I will celebrate Christ but not the worlds Christmas.
I couldn't even walk in a mall people were spend thousands of dollars on big ticket items for their 10 year old kids. it was nuts.
We had a nice quite time lots of food laughter , I had no tree and no presents no one bought any no one was stressed out it was good.
Do you know no one drank, I don't know how many times I thanked God for that.
My son and daughter both cooked, the dinner I baked lots of goodies the kids were great about no gifts. My granddaughter in the states sent me a card she made herself and a braclet with John 3:16 on it . Best Christmas I have ever had.
When the kids were small I would make a cake for Jesus birthday, as the kids got older I stopped doing it I think I am going to do it again.
I know Dec 25 isn't Christ real birthday , but that is when people come together all over the world to celebrate it.
but this world can keep there money making christmas I want no part of it.
Happy New Year Marge Love you little sis God Bless you and your family.
The best Christmas gift I ever received was a couple of paintings my niece painted herself.

And it took her a few years to come visit the state I'm in, and within a couple of minutes she notices I had her paintings up on the wall. And she was shocked. She then thought I had just put them up for her visit. So I showed her all the dust on top of the frames. She just could not believe I liked them enough to display them. She then insisted I take them down, but I refused. And she was in tears that I thought that much of them. In fact, they are perhaps the only two non-essential items I took with me into my new trailer. And I believe I'll put them up tonight while I'm thinking of it.

“Life Force One”

The Spiritual Universe

#504579 Jan 6, 2014
Working for the Lord wrote:
<quoted text> Are you implying that any church you go to is ok? In order to be saved you must worship in spirit and in truth, and in doing this would mean that your church is in one accord with the bible, right? Would your church be worshipping in spirit and in truth if you baptized infants in your church? Would your church be worshipping in spirit and in truth if they took the Lord's supper once a year instead of every Lord's day as the bible says to, please let me know what your answer is on these questions.
Oh please!

Nobody can possibly follow ALL the demented crap your "god" demands of his minion.

Do you go to a church that has you stone your disobedient children, kill witches, eat EXACTLY what "he" wants, make a raped women marry their rapist, not wear mixed fabrics, give away all your possessions, hate your entire family and leave them if they have other beliefs than you do, and all the hundreds of other insane demands your tyrannical "god" demands you follow?

NO!

NOBODY DOES.

NOBODY SHOULD.

IT'S ALL GARBAGE.

“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#504580 Jan 6, 2014
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you miss the part where I stated the meaning of spirit and soul "in the CONTEXT of Religion?
The discussion here is about religion ... and the words spirit and soul in religion refer to being attached to a creator.
I realize you believe you are god-like in the sense of being able to create your own reality, but you didn't create your self ... did YOU?
If you believe that energy is the reason you live, then maybe you believe that the energy always existed, as energy has no intent behind it, as does a supposed creator-theory. And if that "IS" what you believe, you just might be right ... but it is still ONLY your theory ... as I suggest that your intellect is no more advanced than any other intellect to know definitive answers to what I suggest still remains mysteries.
I didn't "miss" anything-YOU did.
Well, at least you finally got that right...re: energy.
How I came to be is well documented biological science (another old "mystery" solved).
You always posit a lot of "ifs" and religious connotations when there is absolutely no need nor place for it. What I stated earlier should be quite clear to even a grade school student. Is that just your ignorance? Or is it a lack of reading comprehension on your part? Or both?
Mysteries? Mysteries are nothing more than unknown/undiscovered facts about the workings of the environment. The very tools you are using at this moment are the direct and indirect result of the concerted effort of intellect, discovery, and acquired knowledge of the environment. Please don't try to blame me because that is beyond your perception(while you utilize the benefits of those you condemn for pursuing their data based "theories" to fruition). Perhaps you need to look up the difference between scientific theory and theory. It appears you are confused. You use the term inappropriately in most instances...just as you do with language.
Liam

Saint Paul, MN

#504581 Jan 6, 2014
marge wrote:
<quoted text>
Clay, you didn't address his point about Scripture being final authority;
Notice to the the Bereans did not need a Pope or a Infallible body of governance to tell them how to divide the word.
Notice the Bereans were of more Noble character for doing so according to Apostle Paul and praises them for there actions and does not condemn them as does the RCC today.
10 As soon as it was night, the believers sent Paul and Silas away to Berea. On arriving there, they went to the Jewish synagogue. 11 Now the Berean Jews were of more noble character than those in Thessalonica, for they received the message with great eagerness and examined the Scriptures every day to see if what Paul said was true.
There was no point about scripture being the final authority. Sola scripture was never taught. Period Besides, scripture couldn't be the final authority by default. The people interpreting it would have to be the final authority. Make sense?
I don't know much about the Bereans, but the Book of Matthew in the first century was 32 feet long. I can't imagine anyone rolling it out everyday to go over the verses. Especially since it had no verses or chapters.
Do you at least agree that the Catholic Church dissected the Bible into chapters and verses or ya going to pretend that's not true too?

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#504582 Jan 6, 2014
Robert F wrote:
<quoted text>
New Age Spiritual Leader
Peace
Far be it from me to place words in your mouth, or pennies on your eyes.
The journey on this world is short indeed. And the ferryman will let you wonder endlessly without his penny....
Peace
Citation please.

:o)

FYI - I like pennies and have many of them. I'll be sure to keep one in my shoe just for the ferryman.

But this really doesn't sound correct, considering - "nothing created can enter the kingdom of God."

Tell ya what - you stick around for the ferryman and hold tightly to your penny. I'll scoot on by in the next world without a penny, but with charm.

“Life Force One”

The Spiritual Universe

#504583 Jan 6, 2014
Liam wrote:
<quoted text>
So the Church who gathered, edited, and produced the Bible, couldn't be the 'church of the Bible'? Sigh.
Enough with your forced dumbness. There already is a Church of Christ. Your sect is unknown and can be loosely traced to the 19th century. Your not the "church of the Bible" because:
A) you don't have all the Bible. You are missing 7 Books and a couple chapters from Daniel.
B) The Bible wasn't compiled until the 4th century.
C) The Bible didn't become readily available until 1452 AD, when the Catholic Church printed it for the first time.
Now while I do not like ANY man made religions, I still detest the dishonesty of ANY "christian" who claims THEY and ONLY THEY, are the real true "christian". The same for any church who makes that false claim.

As it is a historic FACT that the Catholic church is THE Christian church.

So any church, denomination, or person who claims to be THE ONLY real "christian(s)", is a flat out liar. You cannot ignore the 2,000 years of the Catholic church being THE Christian church, and suddenly say, Ta Da, here we are, the REAL CHRISTIANS.

You make yourself a fool and a liar to make that false claim.
Liam

Saint Paul, MN

#504584 Jan 6, 2014
Concerned,

I'm sincerely interested in your assertion that the Orthodox labeled us "Roman" Catholic in 1100 AD. I've never heard that until now. If true, I would like to see where you got that info.
Of course, you are the same dude who repeatedly says the Catholic Church murdered 50 million people and we worship statues and we aren't allowed to read the Bible.
Link on the "Roman" title please.
Thanks.

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#504585 Jan 6, 2014
June VanDerMark wrote:
Within the theology, had Jesus baptized John, that would mean that Jesus started the religion and John wanted be part of Jesus' new religion.
But the church-fathers slipped up on that part of the fable, as (metaphorically stating) they didn't get their ducks in the right order.
June

Ah. I see what you mean.

The transition from John the Baptist to Jesus, was more or less the flow of the two sets of brothers John told James, and Andrew told Simon(Peter)....They(John and Andrew) were originally followers of the John the Baptist. But when John the Baptist said to the "Behold the Lamb of God!" They followed Jesus....

John 1:35 The next day John(the Baptist) was there again with two of his disciples. 36 When he saw Jesus passing by, he said,“Look, the Lamb of God!”

So in short the two followed, and let their two brothers to Jesus....

By the way, there are some "wayward" followers of John the Baptist....see

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandaeism

Albuquerque, NM

#504586 Jan 6, 2014
Working for the Lord wrote:
<quoted text> Then why don't you study and find out which one is correct, just a thought.
I did - and yours didn't come close as being accurate.

What should I do now?

What are you going to do, now that you know the truth?

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#504587 Jan 6, 2014
concerned in Brasil wrote:
<quoted text>
Is English not your first language as this statement makes no sense please try again.
You are still not on track. French is my first language...English second. But and however, that has nothing to do with the fact that the NT in the KJV is translated from the Kione Greek....and the word "hell" is in Scripture...

You are trying to discuss the meaning of the word "hell" as used in the NT...that is not the thread...however. if you want to discuss that part of the word usage...be my guest..

“Life Force One”

The Spiritual Universe

#504588 Jan 6, 2014
Liam wrote:
<quoted text>
The important thing is that people seek God with a sincere heart and worship Him.
So then why did you give up seeking God with a sincere heart, and fall for the lies of a mythology about a fake "god"?

And BTW - Only demons pretending to be "gods" demand worship.

Albuquerque, NM

#504589 Jan 6, 2014
Liam wrote:
Concerned,
I'm sincerely interested in your assertion that the Orthodox labeled us "Roman" Catholic in 1100 AD. I've never heard that until now. If true, I would like to see where you got that info.
Of course, you are the same dude who repeatedly says the Catholic Church murdered 50 million people and we worship statues and we aren't allowed to read the Bible.
Link on the "Roman" title please.
Thanks.
US Government dog tags state "Roman Catholic".

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#504590 Jan 6, 2014
Seentheotherside wrote:
<quoted text>
Now while I do not like ANY man made religions, I still detest the dishonesty of ANY "christian" who claims THEY and ONLY THEY, are the real true "christian". The same for any church who makes that false claim.
As it is a historic FACT that the Catholic church is THE Christian church.
So any church, denomination, or person who claims to be THE ONLY real "christian(s)", is a flat out liar. You cannot ignore the 2,000 years of the Catholic church being THE Christian church, and suddenly say, Ta Da, here we are, the REAL CHRISTIANS.
You make yourself a fool and a liar to make that false claim.
Which says, among other things, you have no idea of the correct definition of the word "Christian"...

Location hidden

#504591 Jan 6, 2014
Gods R Delusions but Mine wrote:
<quoted text>
OMG!
"What better way to serve God, than due so anonymously" - on an anonymous message board? Are you serious?
And is that even a sentence?
How are you serving god here? By attempting to validate your own faith?
More evidence that it's a delusion. You can't make sense of it, no matter how hard you try.
peace, love, and rock & roll.
Gods R Delusions

Indeed the best way to serve God is humbly.

This is by no means my "validation". lol

Delving intellectually into philosophical and theological propositions keeps one's mind reasonably sharp. So being on the forum offers me a means of expression.

Are you not unlike June, and simply desire to shut down religion by not allowing free expression of religious ideas on a forum?(Hmmmm. I wonder) Think about it. Be honest.

“Life Force One”

The Spiritual Universe

#504592 Jan 6, 2014
michael wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe the whole story was fictional. There s no reportable history outside the bible that many of these events actually happened.
Born into a belief claiming to be the son of god, a belief that does not believe in sons of god.
....makes no common sense.
On the big picture, you are right.

I was just attempting to point out one of the many thousands of problems with the myth.

Location hidden

#504593 Jan 6, 2014
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
Citation please.
FYI - I like pennies and have many of them. I'll be sure to keep one in my shoe just for the ferryman.
But this really doesn't sound correct, considering - "nothing created can enter the kingdom of God."
Tell ya what - you stick around for the ferryman and hold tightly to your penny. I'll scoot on by in the next world without a penny, but with charm.
New Age Spiritual Leader

Peace

Nice come back....

Keep your pennies for now, but you will pay the piper in the end for his song....

Stay honest.

Peace

“Life Force One”

The Spiritual Universe

#504594 Jan 6, 2014
confrinting with the word wrote:
<quoted text>
~~~
Your arrogance never ceases and you inflated ego never ends.
http://www.coldwinterknights.net/images/Final...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 15 min It aint necessari... 55,654
Israel End is Near (Feb '15) 1 hr AussieBobby 425
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 2 hr crust 281,467
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 2 hr Rosa 106,051
TRUTH about illegal aliens (Aug '14) 5 hr Knock off purse s... 12
Does anybody know Doctor REALITY'S race or nati... 5 hr Knock off purse s... 36
rajkot gey (Nov '15) 5 hr Hemant patel 77
Moms having sex with their sons (Aug '12) 10 hr Noname 69
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 16 hr Hangman 972,378
More from around the web