Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 650193 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

michael

Canada

#504535 Jan 6, 2014
concerned in Brasil wrote:
<quoted text>
FYI
The word in the Greek translated Hell here was the Greek word used for the Garbage dump outside Jerusalem where there was a constant fire burning the garbage, the stench was horrible.
Later in the NT when it refers to Hell it talks up the smoke that is constantly rising up from it.
The NT uses the Jerusalem Garbage dump as a metaphor to Hell.
.......so all those not as worthy as liam/hojo are going to end up in the garbage dump just outside Jerusalem when our days are done?.........that's just great!(Iol)!

Hell is closer than I thought!
concerned in Brasil

Europe

#504536 Jan 6, 2014
Liam wrote:
<quoted text>
So the Church who gathered, edited, and produced the Bible, couldn't be the 'church of the Bible'? Sigh.
Enough with your forced dumbness. There already is a Church of Christ. Your sect is unknown and can be loosely traced to the 19th century. Your not the "church of the Bible" because:
A) you don't have all the Bible. You are missing 7 Books and a couple chapters from Daniel.
B) The Bible wasn't compiled until the 4th century.
C) The Bible didn't become readily available until 1452 AD, when the Catholic Church printed it for the first time.
There is no Historical evidence that the RCC existed as you refer to her till the 11th century at the great Schism.
You know when the Pope of Rome split from the Eastern half of the Catholic church.

The Historical evidence
The writings of early church fathers
The explicit teachings of the Bible

All show the Church is to be governed by a plurality of leaders, elders, bishops.
Remember the word the RCC uses for pope in the Greek simply meant elders.

It is Rome that gave it a novel biblical meaning some 1000 years later.

Do you know that which Rome considered the Pope of the day did not even attend the Council of Nicea and when that council made its declarations it was by on vote for each Bishop pope present, there were some 325 present.

The Bible by the way was quoted by early church fathers as scripture in their individual writings so much that just from their writings alone we can recreate 98% of the NT and this was before any council confirmed them as such.

The 7 books you refer to were never scripture until the council of trent in the 16th century and even the RCC says this is true. I can give you the references from New Advent if you wish.

Truth matters you have not studied history in the slightness you simply regurgitate RCC propaganda

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#504537 Jan 6, 2014
Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>
So, we have evidence of your literary theft:
http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/TV910R5...
And of you admitting to posting under another poster's moniker:
http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/TV910R5...
And now accusing me of lying without the ability to back it up.
Don't project your dishonesty on me, child.
Hogwash....Lying Snake.....go hiss with your ilk....
michael

Canada

#504538 Jan 6, 2014
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
I suggest that within THE FRAMEWORK OF THE THEOLOGY the truth would be that Jesus and all the other Jews would have stayed faithful to Judaism.
Believes in and practices a religion for 33 years that doesn't believe in him so a few rogue Jews steal Jesus away from the belief he loved, starts a new religion. With no plan of operation and no rules and regulations' no structure of authority.
concerned in Brasil

Europe

#504539 Jan 6, 2014
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
According to the church-fathers ... the first Catholics were already an established group of believers when Jesus decided to join them in the river Jordon to be baptized as a Catholic by the supposed Catholic saint John the Baptist.
I suggest that you stop implying that "Jesus" started your religion and others followed, as that was not the picture painted by your church-fathers.
Yeeks what a load of ........

How about you give us the Church Fathers you are referring to with quotes that can be verified?

Standing by I have a complete set of the early church Fathers.

Location hidden

#504540 Jan 6, 2014
Working for the Lord wrote:
<quoted text> Are you implying that any church you go to is ok? In order to be saved you must worship in spirit and in truth, and in doing this would mean that your church is in one accord with the bible, right? Would your church be worshipping in spirit and in truth if you baptized infants in your church? Would your church be worshipping in spirit and in truth if they took the Lord's supper once a year instead of every Lord's day as the bible says to, please let me know what your answer is on these questions.
The subject of this thread is the definition of "church" in Mt 16:18...which you will not acknowledge because it reveals your blatant lies...

And you are still comparing potatoes to apples!!!!

Since: Sep 09

Delta, Canada

#504541 Jan 6, 2014
Norman Lewis

Lewis didn't share the modern belief that the human animal is improving, so he didn't look forward to any better time. Nor did he have any faith in a higher power. In an interview towards the end of his life, he declared he believed in "absolutely nothing". He also described himself as being "exceedingly happy". Wisely, he didn't believe in belief.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-25561810
Liam

Melrose Park, IL

#504542 Jan 6, 2014
<quoted text>
There is no Historical evidence that the RCC existed as you refer to her till the 11th century at the great Schism.
You know when the Pope of Rome split from the Eastern half of the Catholic church.
The Historical evidence
The writings of early church fathers
The explicit teachings of the Bible
All show the Church is to be governed by a plurality of leaders, elders, bishops.
Remember the word the RCC uses for pope in the Greek simply meant elders.
It is Rome that gave it a novel biblical meaning some 1000 years later.
Do you know that which Rome considered the Pope of the day did not even attend the Council of Nicea and when that council made its declarations it was by on vote for each Bishop pope present, there were some 325 present.
The Bible by the way was quoted by early church fathers as scripture in their individual writings so much that just from their writings alone we can recreate 98% of the NT and this was before any council confirmed them as such.
The 7 books you refer to were never scripture until the council of trent in the 16th century and even the RCC says this is true. I can give you the references from New Advent if you wish.
Truth matters you have not studied history in the slightness you simply regurgitate RCC propaganda
If you didn't bore me so much, I would expose you for being an ignorant liar again. Since I already did that a few months ago and can see you obviously ignored it, I'll let you continue worshiping our Bible in peace. You'll stand before God just like me one day.

Delta, Canada

#504543 Jan 6, 2014
<quoted text>
Yeeks what a load of ........
How about you give us the Church Fathers you are referring to with quotes that can be verified?
Standing by I have a complete set of the early church Fathers.
From the quotes of the church-fathers that vilified the Jews as being enemies of Jesus, I wrote my own story.

If you have a better one, by all means have at it.

Location hidden

#504544 Jan 6, 2014
Liam wrote:
<quoted text>
So the Church who gathered, edited, and produced the Bible, couldn't be the 'church of the Bible'? Sigh.
Enough with your forced dumbness. There already is a Church of Christ. Your sect is unknown and can be loosely traced to the 19th century. Your not the "church of the Bible" because:
A) you don't have all the Bible. You are missing 7 Books and a couple chapters from Daniel.
B) The Bible wasn't compiled until the 4th century.
C) The Bible didn't become readily available until 1452 AD, when the Catholic Church printed it for the first time.
You are still of track by 180 degrees:

Jos 8:31 As Moses the servant of the LORD commanded the children of Israel, as it is written in the book of the law of Moses, an altar of whole stones, over which no man hath lift up any iron: and they offered thereon burnt offerings unto the LORD, and sacrificed peace offerings.

The reason the Catholics hid the Bible from from the public (burned some to the stake when caught reading it), was to keep them "in the dark."....when Luther posted his points of contention on the door.....they kicked him out....and all because he wanted to discuss these points....thank God for Luther
concerned in Brasil

Europe

#504545 Jan 6, 2014
Liam wrote:
<quoted text>
So in the middle 2nd century, 22 of the 27 NT books were named?
Lol you just proved sola scripture was impossible. If it was the will of the Lord, he'd surely supply us with a list, and it wouldn't have took a hundred yrs for His truth to arrive. And why did you quote our Catholic Church fathers?
Frist the early catholic church fathers were not roman catholic church fathers.

You don't even know how when and why the word catholic is used in reference to believers in Christ Jesus

Second not one book of the NT was needed for the Bereans to practice the principal of sola scriptoria when they searched the scriptures to test if what Paul was teaching to be true they simply used the scriptures that had been revealed to them at that time.

You make all these straw men
You don't need the scriptures that will be revealed in the future to practice the biblical teaching of Sola scriptoria.

Notice to the the Bereans did not need a Pope or a Infallible body of governance to tell them how to divide the word.
Notice the Bereans were of more Noble character for doing so according to Apostle Paul and praises them for there actions and does not condemn them as does the RCC today.

10 As soon as it was night, the believers sent Paul and Silas away to Berea. On arriving there, they went to the Jewish synagogue. 11 Now the Berean Jews were of more noble character than those in Thessalonica, for they received the message with great eagerness and examined the Scriptures every day to see if what Paul said was true. 12 As a result, many of them believed, as did also a number of prominent Greek women and many Greek men.

Delta, Canada

#504546 Jan 6, 2014
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
The subject of this thread is the definition of "church" in Mt 16:18...which you will not acknowledge because it reveals your blatant lies...
And you are still comparing potatoes to apples!!!!
church

noun

a building used for public Christian worship.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>

I suggest you are worshipping a converted Catholic when you worship the image of Jesus ... unless of course the fickle Jesus has since converted to Protestantism.

That is why you demand to fit Jesus into a church-setting, rather than a synagogue or a temple.

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#504547 Jan 6, 2014
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
According to the church-fathers ... the first Catholics were already an established group of believers when Jesus decided to join them in the river Jordon to be baptized as a Catholic by the supposed Catholic saint John the Baptist.
I suggest that you stop implying that "Jesus" started your religion and others followed, as that was not the picture painted by your church-fathers.
June

Peace

I hope you are feeling better....

John the Baptist was baptizing people. They came from Galilee, and Jerusalem, and no doubt other places. They were looking for God, and were breaking free of the burdens put on them by their religious and political leaders. Some of course were quite close to him. And in a sense he was a forerunner to Christianity, as he cried in the wilderness to repent, and baptized people.( James and John were disciples of his until Jesus....)

But you imply that after John the Baptist had Catholics before Jesus. I don't think that is the direct and literal case here. But to be a believer does not necessarily mean one is Catholic. In this case there is a transition period between the last prophet and the one prophesied about, namely John and Jesus....

Peace

Delta, Canada

#504548 Jan 6, 2014
michael wrote:
<quoted text>
Believes in and practices a religion for 33 years that doesn't believe in him so a few rogue Jews steal Jesus away from the belief he loved, starts a new religion. With no plan of operation and no rules and regulations' no structure of authority.
The Catholics had all the authority they needed when the emperor Constantine gave them power over all other religions IN the empire.

And structure came as the Catholics that held the most power over other Catholics dictated.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>

Three popes reigning at one time.

From the book,“History of Christianity,” by Clyde L. Manschreck … comes the following ……..

With two popes reigning during the Great Schism, each anathematizing the other, many voices cried for reform, among them Conrad of Geinhausen, Heinrich of Langenstein, Peter of Ailli, John Gerson, and Nicholas of Clemanges. The agitation for a reforming council became so great that the cardinals of both Popes finally issued a call in Piza in 409. Neither the Pope of Avignon nor the one at Rome attended. Pisa declared both of them deposed, and elected Alexander V to be Pope. But the Popes at Avignon and Rome refused to be deposed, so that Christendom was faced with the spectacle of three Popes. The situation was intolerable.

Location hidden

#504549 Jan 6, 2014
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
For not being a preacher ... why did you just preach about Jesus being followed???
Double-talker.
You are here to proselytize your Catholic religion as being based on truth. You are quite CERTAIN that you are WISE for being a Catholic.
June

I know whatever I write, you will accuse me of something wrong. Or that I preach and teach(to you that is far worse than being wrong)smiles.

If I tell people to follow Jesus and do what he says, that's enough.

But I do enjoy keeping my brain alert, so discussions are part of living language. I hope you won't deny me the right to be on this forum...? Are we back to that again? I certainly hope not.
concerned in Brasil

Europe

#504550 Jan 6, 2014
Liam wrote:
<quoted text>
How about you just provide a verse that shows the Bible is the ONLY authority in Christianity. I know its profitable, that's not what I'm asking. Show me where Christ establishes the Bible and the list of books we should have put into it.
Thanks.
What a bunch of illogical nonsense this one is

Where does it say 1000 years after Jesus ascends a Pope of popes will come to be and reveal the list too us. Where does the bible say to pray to dead people.

Sola Scriptoria does not teach it is the ONLY authority in Christianity
Sola Scriptoria teaches that the Bible takes precedence over all other authority.
Thus when a man's teachings like praying to Mary is compared to the teachings of the Bible we know not to do it as the explicit teaching of scripture is that pray is for God only as Jesus showed when he taught the disciples how to pray to God.

The only way a RC like yourself can defeat the biblical concept sola sciptoria is redefine it and miss represent its meaning.
Notice how Jesus argued with the Pharisees always from scripture never from tradition like the pharisees. To be a christian means you follow Jesus, I.E. you do as he did.

SHAME ON YOU THAT IS DECEITFUL

Jesus said that after he left the comforter would come to remind us of all that he taught.
Jesus taught that it would be by the Spirit not by men.

Location hidden

#504551 Jan 6, 2014
Liam wrote:
<quoted text>
1. it doesn't.
2. We don't adore Mary. Don't bear false witness.
3. All Christians ARE Priest by virtue of our Baptism. That's what the Catholic Church We teaches. However, Jesus set up a Sacramental Priesthood too. That's the word of God and you can't change it now.
4. Huh??
5. Do you think you're a saint?
6. The Bible doesn't condemn the making of images. You added that to the Bible. It condemns the adoration of images. We Catholics do not worship images.
7. Are you implying that someone isn't Baptized because the proper volume of water wasn't used??
8. It doesn't. Man added that idea about a 150 yrs ago when your church was founded. When Paul called Timothy "his son" you can bet Timothy called him "father" back.
9. Well obviously Christ - being God- is the actual foundation. And that makes it all the more remarkable he'd change Simons name to Rock.
10. There is only one mediator. Catholics don't bypass Jesus when asking our friends and family to pray for us.
11. It doesn't.
1...pure horseship...

Pope Francis's Prayer to Our Lady Untier of Knots
youngadultphx.diocesephoenix.org/wp-content/.... ;
Jorge Bergoglio brought this devotion to Argentina and composed this prayer. Holy Mary, full of God's presence during the days of your life, you accepted with ...

Pope Francis' Consecrating the World to Mary Culminates Fatima ...
www.ncregister.com/.../pope-francis-consecrat... ;
Oct 14, 2013 - The events began on Oct. 12, when Pope Francis led a Marian prayer vigil in St. Peter's Square, followed by a worldwide televised vigil at ...

If I wanted to take the time, all points could be debunked...

Delta, Canada

#504552 Jan 6, 2014
<quoted text>
Frist the early catholic church fathers were not roman catholic church fathers.
From what I have studied, the disgruntled Jews that broke away from Judaism, to first use the term Christian were Catholics. Ignatius was a Catholic.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>

An important milestone into development of Christian self-consciousness or Christian self-identity will be the emergence of the word "Christianity." This word appears for the first time in the writings of a church thinker of the early 2nd century of our era named Ignatius, who lived in Western Asia Minor, modern day Western Turkey

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows ...

Delta, Canada

#504553 Jan 6, 2014
Robert F wrote:
<quoted text>
June
Peace
I hope you are feeling better....
John the Baptist was baptizing people. They came from Galilee, and Jerusalem, and no doubt other places. They were looking for God, and were breaking free of the burdens put on them by their religious and political leaders. Some of course were quite close to him. And in a sense he was a forerunner to Christianity, as he cried in the wilderness to repent, and baptized people.( James and John were disciples of his until Jesus....)
But you imply that after John the Baptist had Catholics before Jesus. I don't think that is the direct and literal case here. But to be a believer does not necessarily mean one is Catholic. In this case there is a transition period between the last prophet and the one prophesied about, namely John and Jesus....
Peace
Such double-talk.

Within the theology, John baptized Jesus ... and that means the Catholic religion existed already before Jesus' baptism.

Idiot!

Location hidden

#504554 Jan 6, 2014
Gods R Delusions but Mine wrote:
<quoted text>
Amazing spin
"... non-believers always don't understand the Bible, and believers can be led astray, reading it on their own understanding."
"The dilemma is that it is very difficult to teach someone how to be wise."
I get it now.
More excuses for the supposed "clear Word of God" -- on which few can agree and many wars have been fought over the "wisdom."
Thankfully, you are one of the chosen ones who has the wisdom to understand and explain so thoughtfully.
Which begs the question -- with so much insight from god, why are you relegated to an anonymous message board?
With so many insights direct from the creator of the universe, why doesn't god use you in greater ways?
Strange indeed.
Gods R Delusions

What better way to serve God, than due so anonymously? I seek nothing for myself in His service, except to be an unprofitable servant....

Chastity, poverty, obedience. These are goals and ways to live by. No one claims them in an absolute sense, but in being, seeking and praising these goals, one gets nearer to following Jesus.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 4 min Buck Crick 56,147
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 8 min ChristineM 445,900
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 11 min RiccardoFire 44,956
God is REAL - Miracles Happen! (Jun '11) 49 min andet1987 6,079
Play "end of the word" part 2 (Dec '15) 55 min andet1987 2,323
Ayurveda oil massage 1 hr rahul 2
Moms having sex with their sons (Aug '12) 7 hr akon mason 70
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 11 hr another viewer 971,759
More from around the web