Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 586638 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Since: Sep 09

Prince George, Canada

#503634 Jan 2, 2014
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Thief, how does one give credit to your sources when you don't cite them? Thief, post the source of the statement.
Have you tried preaching your message of LOVE at passers-by on a street corner ... bible at the ready???

Sarcasm intended

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#503635 Jan 2, 2014
Gods R Delusions but Mine wrote:
Hello? There is no empirical evidence showing that God even exists.
(THis is why so many are here attempting to validate their god.)
If you think about it as a rational person, this lack of evidence is startling. There is not one bit of empirical evidence indicating that today's "God", nor any other contemporary god, nor any god of the past, exists.
In addition we know that:
>>> If we had scientific proof of God's existence, we would talk about the "science of God" rather than "faith in God".
>>> If we had scientific proof of God's existence, the study of God would be a scientific endeavor rather than a theological one.
>>> If we had scientific proof of God's existence, all religious people would be aligning on the God that had been scientifically proven to exist. Instead there are thousands of gods and religions.
The reason for this lack of evidence is easy for any unbiased observer to see.
The reason why there is no empirical evidence for God is because every God invented by mankind is imaginary.
God's R Delusions

Peace

By your bias, God must be "a posteriori" in observations, in order to exist. Thus whatever you observe, God must not be present.

But if God is "a priori" then God may exist. If God does something once, and only once, then your bias is incorrect.

Thirdly, upon your empirical evidence, two(or more) observers may observe the same thing and come up with completely different theories as to what was observed. So observational data is not a determining factor concerning the existence of God as we perceive.

This provides two short proofs why your bias, and evidence are flawed.

In a sense, you are TELLING me to not see something, that is not there, because it is not observed. I am saying what we observe is not the basis of reality, it is more like an after-thought: it is secondary. The sensory data the brain receives is not the reality....

Peace

Location hidden

#503636 Jan 2, 2014
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe you should study the supposed "truth" from your golden-mouthed church-father. It will give you INSIGHT into the real meaning of hellfire and damnation that John was certain was allotted BY GOD's DIVINE-DESIGN to non-Catholics.
There's no sense beating around your own bush trying to make your self appear as a peach of a guy who loves everybody, when your religion states otherwise.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>
Our churches are not like that; they are truly frightening and filled with fear. God's presence makes a place frightening because he has power over life and death. In our churches we hear countless homilies on eternal punishments, on rivers of fire, on the venomous worm, on bonds that cannot be burst, or exterior darkness.
John Chrysostom
June

Peace

You sure love to preach....

But I listen to only one Preacher. His name is Jesus.

Others try.

Peace

Prince George, Canada

#503637 Jan 2, 2014
When a preacher openly admits (as occurred on the program about hell on television) that he was drawn to become a preacher because of his faith in the existence of hell as a place where the wicked burn for eternity ... it follows that he will only draw people into that church who also believe in hell for the wicked.

As water finds its own level ... religion works the same way.

I suggest that such a preacher is sadly lacking is self-esteem. To bully others into believing they are evil is a very bad religious habit ... that won't break ... unless you choose to break the habit your self.
Michael

Hamilton, Canada

#503638 Jan 2, 2014
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Thief, how does one give credit to your sources when you don't cite them? Thief, post the source of the statement.
You never give up Anthony. When someone is down, you jump on them with both feet. Its a good thing you never do anything wrong.

Prince George, Canada

#503639 Jan 2, 2014
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
You've asserted several times on the forum that the Catholic Church teaches priests to tell her members not to read the bible. I've asked you to prove it and you've never answered. If you avoid addressing this, why should people believe anything else you say?
From the book,“The Papal Conspiracy Exposed, and Protestantism Defended,” by Rev. Edward Beecher, published in 1855, comes the following……

In England the penalty for daring to read the Bible in the vernacular tongue was TO BE BURNED ALIVE. The inquisitors and ecclesiastics carried on a persecution against the disciples of Wickliffe, for a century and a half on this ground, and many were burned alive. In 1519 seven persons were burned alive at Coventry, having been convicted of the crime of having the Scriptures in their possession, or portions of same. Such scenes were extensively repeated. All of the Bibles also were burned that could be obtained—an example which Romish priests in this land are now intent to follow.
Michael

Hamilton, Canada

#503640 Jan 2, 2014
June VanDerMark wrote:
Preacher of any old religion, busy gazing in the mirror ... "If only others would see me as I see my self, they would understand that I am WISE in the ways of the universe. I KNOW the answers that others can't see ... but how will I make them understand that I am just trying to help them. This is such a difficult job GOD has put in my heart ... but I won't let him down. I will take their abuse as a compliment and keep on preaching GOD's truth until I die. May I have the strength to endure the heavy load that GOD has put upon me. AMEN and AMEN."
.......Being a pastor or priest is not bad work if you can hack it.

...... You have a job for life, never get laid off, never go on strike, never get your hands dirty, spend an hour to say mass once a day, hear a few confessions and perform a couple weddings and funerals every couple weeks, listen to a few parishioners problems, and eat all the muffins and tarts the old ladies in the church bake for them.

.....They get a salary, health benefits, mileage, pension, and the under the radar stipends from the good old parishioners for every special mass, funeral, wedding, and special event they perform.

.....If you can put up with the loneliness, do exactly what your bishop tells you, its security for life.

Its not bad work if you can get it!

Location hidden

#503641 Jan 2, 2014
June VanDerMark wrote:
As an Atheist who admits that I don't know the future, I am perceived as an enemy of those in religions, who in turn have been willing to kill, and are STILL willing to kill in order to defend their own doctrines as being based on absolute truth.
I suggest by being so obstinate and arrogant in the attitude that you know the future ... you are not only your own worst enemies ... you are the enemies of any semblance of world peace.
If those in religion would all say to each other ... "I don't know the answers" ... there would be nothing over which TO fight, as religion would lose its power to instigate ALL forms of right-fighting.
June

Some people prefer to live life like a fairy tale.

The problems stem from putting expectations on oneself and others that are beyond reasonable.

To think oneself, or someone else has "all the answers" is beyond reasonable.

The result is disappointment or disillusionment, leading to frustration, anger, and hatred.

So try not to expect more from others, what you are not capable of....(an abstraction of the Golden Rule).

Prince George, Canada

#503642 Jan 2, 2014
To teach people that they are evil ought to be recognized as a hate-filled crime.

To teach people that they have problems as do we all, can then give them hope that there is a chance they can improve their own state of being.

How would you feel if you believed you were full of demons??? "You wouldn't appreciate it ... would you???

Your use of the bible does not have a positive record, so I suggest that you be careful with that book. It's not your play-thing, as you may believe is a fact.

Prince George, Canada

#503643 Jan 2, 2014
Michael wrote:
<quoted text>
.......Being a pastor or priest is not bad work if you can hack it.
...... You have a job for life, never get laid off, never go on strike, never get your hands dirty, spend an hour to say mass once a day, hear a few confessions and perform a couple weddings and funerals every couple weeks, listen to a few parishioners problems, and eat all the muffins and tarts the old ladies in the church bake for them.
.....They get a salary, health benefits, mileage, pension, and the under the radar stipends from the good old parishioners for every special mass, funeral, wedding, and special event they perform.
.....If you can put up with the loneliness, do exactly what your bishop tells you, its security for life.
Its not bad work if you can get it!
I believe you underestimate the hard physical and mental labor of priests.

I suggest they joined the church in the belief that they were following a god's will.

Disillusionment was sure to follow, as preaching at others as though one has the answers, can't create peace with one's own conscience, as the conscience comprehends that we are simply mortal human animals ... not servants of any god.

Prince George, Canada

#503644 Jan 2, 2014
Robert F wrote:
<quoted text>
That would be YOU!!!
Michael

Hamilton, Canada

#503645 Jan 2, 2014
Gods R Delusions but Mine wrote:
<quoted text>
So much for the people in India and China.
I am still trying to understand why your god is such an elitist. It's like To The Manor Born.
Unless you happen to be born into the right family in the right location, it's very unlikely that you will ever get right with your god.
I don't buy into such elitism. Real Gods are not like that.
says.........Unless you happen to be born into the right family in the right location, it's very unlikely that you will ever get right with your god.

Michael says.....Right!.........born by chance into a loving Jewish family only to spend your entire life teaching your children the wrong message. They don't have Jesus in their hearts. Another family into the fires of hell according to christianity.

Organized religion is the great divider in our society. You can see it everyday on this forum by those that belong to an organized religion. Only their doctrine is correct, and they will tell you so.
Michael

Hamilton, Canada

#503646 Jan 2, 2014
Robert F wrote:
<quoted text>
June
The problems stem from putting expectations on oneself and others that are beyond reasonable.
To think oneself, or someone else has "all the answers" is beyond reasonable.
The result is disappointment or disillusionment, leading to frustration, anger, and hatred.
So try not to expect more from others, what you are not capable of....(an abstraction of the Golden Rule).
Robert says..........To think oneself, or someone else has "all the answers" is beyond reasonable.

Michael says........Doesn't christianity teach they have all the answers? Don't all the followers believe they are right and all others are not?

Prince George, Canada

#503647 Jan 2, 2014
From the book … The Invasion Within … The Contest of Cultures in Colonial North America by James Axtell.

Thomas Harriot put his finger on the primary cause of the Indians’ initially exalted opinion of the white strangers when he noted that

most things they sawe with us, as Mathematicall instruments, sea compasses, the virtue of the loadstone in drawing iron, a perspective glasse whereby was shewed manie strange sightes, burning glasses, wildefire woorkes, gunnes, bookes, writing and reading, spring clocks that seeme to goe of themselves, and manie other thinges that wee had, were so straunge unto them, and so farre exceeded their capacities to comprehend the reason and meanes how they should be made and done, that they thought they were rather the works of gods than men, or at the leastwise they had bin given and taught uf of the gods.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#503648 Jan 2, 2014
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
My last last last last last ride on this merry-go-round...

Show one post where I said "the following is my own info"...or signed my sign-on name to such when it wasn't.......

You don't want to give credit to my sources...you want to try to discredit them...

Location hidden

#503649 Jan 2, 2014
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Thief, cite the source for the following;
"“Through humility, soul searching, and prayerful contemplation we have gained a new understanding of certain dogmas. The church no longer believes in a literal hell where people suffer. This doctrine is incompatible with the infinite love of God. God is not a judge but a friend and a lover of humanity. God seeks not to condemn but only to embrace. Like the fable of Adam and Eve, we see hell as a literary device. Hell is merely a metaphor for the isolated soul, which like all souls ultimately will be united in love with God” Pope Francis declared."
My last last last last last ride on this merry-go-round...

Show one post where I said "the following is my own info"...or signed my sign-on name to such when it wasn't.......

You don't want to give credit to my sources...you want to try to discredit them...
Anthony MN

Champlin, MN

#503650 Jan 2, 2014
Michael wrote:
<quoted text>
You never give up Anthony. When someone is down, you jump on them with both feet. Its a good thing you never do anything wrong.
Oxbow is "down"? Trust me, he'll keep doing what he's doing regardless of me showing him to be a phony. One of the many things I do wrong is replying to you and his posts.
Anthony MN

Champlin, MN

#503651 Jan 2, 2014
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you tried preaching your message of LOVE at passers-by on a street corner ... bible at the ready???
Sarcasm intended
Thank you June. Some folks are hard to love, but I'll keep trying!

Location hidden

#503652 Jan 2, 2014
Ain't not he be great!!!!!

“Through humility, soul searching, and prayerful contemplation we have gained a new understanding of certain dogmas. The church no longer believes in a literal hell where people suffer. This doctrine is incompatible with the infinite love of God. God is not a judge but a friend and a lover of humanity. God seeks not to condemn but only to embrace. Like the fable of Adam and Eve, we see hell as a literary device. Hell is merely a metaphor for the isolated soul, which like all souls ultimately will be united in love with God” Pope Francis declared.

Good news to all unrepentant sinners!!!! There is no place called "hell"...per the poop...dang...pope...

God is not a judge!!!!!! Adam/Eve are a fable....that leaves only the apes for us to have evolved from!!!! Well, its true!!! Remember the adage "Well!!!! I'll be a money's uncle!!!!"

Hey Ant....Tell the world the truth!!!! Per your pope!!!!

Location hidden

#503653 Jan 2, 2014
June VanDerMark wrote:
People in religion USE their religion to try to explain the reason for suffering.
I don't try to explain a reason for suffering, as I accept that all animals suffer simply because it is the way of life.
Stephen Hawking has suffered from ALS for years. He is not able to move his own body, yet he will not buy into the idea that his suffering is because he fell short of a god's expectations. He is simply thankful to have had the experience of life and has no expectations of being rewarded or punished in an afterlife ... as he has no religious inclinations.
You can believe what pleases you ... but I suggest you would do well to ask your selves "WHY" what you believe has a habit of pleasing you.
June

If an oversimplification of suffering isn't good enough, you can always feign its a mystery.(smiles)

If one puts their hand in a fire and get burned, they're going to suffer. If one puts their soul in the fire, then its going to get burned, and suffer. It seems rather straightforward to me.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 2 min Paul Porter1 831,695
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 18 min bad bob 176,594
No one should blaspheme Prophet Mohammad, peace... 1 hr Rosa_Winkel 292
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 1 hr dollarsbill 3,750
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 1 hr mike 611,976
Play "end of the word" (Jan '11) 1 hr Al Capone 5,827
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 2 hr RiccardoFire 40,223
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 3 hr Rosa_Winkel 443,012
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 4 hr Rosa_Winkel 99,367
More from around the web