Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News 573,482
The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ. Full Story
ReginaM

Toms River, NJ

#501502 Dec 20, 2013
"All Sins are Equal in God's Sight" ... And Other Stupid Statements

During my ordination, one of the questions that I was asked by a seminary professor was “Are all sins equal in the sight of God?” I hesitated. Not because I did not have a strong opinion on this, but because I was not sure what the answer was that he was looking for. Are all sins equal in the sight of God? My ordination may have depended on the answer.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#501503 Dec 20, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
I doubt Jesus cares how Websters dictionary defines His Church.
Fyi. I am a Roman Catholic. I am proud to be a Roman Catholic. But I would also be proud to be a Coptic Catholic, Maronite Catholic and Byzantine Catholic.
The label "Roman" is completely welcomed by me, as long as you understand the context of the title. Ignorant fanatics are scratching their heads on what Roman Catholic means. You can't find a fundie website that doesn't emphasise Roman Roman Roman. That's because they are clueless. Ask Oldjg. duh he dunno. "Roman bad. Bible say Roman bad. They corrupted the gospel. Roman evil. Roman blah blah. Oh look a bunny rabbit".
======
Typical catlick....deny the truth when facing it!!!!

I did not ask if you doubt Jesus cares how Websters dictionary defines His Church.

I did not ask are you a Roman Catholic.

I did not ask if you are am proud to be a Roman Catholic.

I did not ask if you would also be proud to be a Coptic Catholic, Maronite Catholic and/or Byzantine Catholic.

I did not ask if the label "Roman" is completely welcomed by you me, as long as I understand the context of the title.

I did not ask if ignorant fanatics are scratching their heads on what Roman Catholic means.

I did not ask if I can find a fundie website that doesn't emphasise Roman Roman Roman. and if that's because they are clueless.

I have no intention of asking Oldjg anything...

Location hidden

#501504 Dec 20, 2013
Whaddaboutit Starc
StarC wrote:
"The Church Jesus established was known by its most common title, "the Catholic Church," at least as early as the year 107, when Ignatius of Antioch used that title to describe the one Church Jesus founded. The title apparently was old in Ignatius’s time, which means it probably went all the way back to the time of the apostles."

Here is truth you will not face.....

1. Tell me the definition of the Greek word from which "church" was translated from in Mt 16:18

2. What does your pope approved NABre say the term "church" means in that passage...

Location hidden

#501505 Dec 20, 2013
Clay....share with us your supreme wisdom...
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
The Catholic Church doesn't make stuff up. You guys do. This is evident in the fact that you can not show anyone believing as you do prior to the 18th century.
Purgatory: "for no one can lay a foundation other than that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ. Now if anyone builds on the foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw- each ones work will become manifest; FOR THE DAY WILL DISCLOSE IT, BECAUSE IT WILL BE REVEALED BY FIRE AND THE FIRE WILL TEST WHAT SORT OF WORK EACH ONE HAS DONE. IF THE WORK ANYONE HAS BUILT ON THE FOUNDATION SURVIVES, HE WILL RECEIVE AN AWARD. IF ANYONE'S WORK IS BURNED UP, HE WILL SUFFER LOSS, THOUGH HE HIMSELF WILL BE SAVED, BUT ONLY THROUGH THE FIRE"
1cor 3:10
---

Tell us why Christ is not sending a soul to purgatory....

When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory: And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats:
And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left.

Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels: And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

Location hidden

#501506 Dec 20, 2013
Clay...of Great Wisdom 203

Please tell me the message in this verse: 1Jo 5:13 These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#501507 Dec 20, 2013
Dust Storm wrote:
<quoted text>
The Romans at first didnt care about disputes amongst the Jews, however as Christianity began to spread. The Romans recognized what you are saying as well. They saw an authority that was replacing theirs and that would only follow this Jesus and the teachings of his Apostles.
In Acts Peter is dragged before primarily the Sadduccees who did not believe in the resurrection. It was a serious challenge to their teaching. Yet they were afraid of the people, and forbade them to speak of this Jesus any further. We all know how that went. He still has a ministerial priesthood.
The Roman govt. wanted to know more about this Jesus who claimed be not just another god or half man half god, but God in the flesh and whom was crucified and rose himself from the tdead. These people who were willing to die for this strange sect now spreading to the massess not just the Jews must be stopped. It challenged their authority as well. The Romans put in spies and the reports can be found today. The Christians secretly met on Sunday the day they claim this Jesus rose from the dead. The mass is described in detail and he writes that partake in cannibalism eating flesh. lol His misunderstanding of the Eucharist is much like many Protestants today, but does in fact validate that early Christians believed in the real presence.
Dust Storm

A sort of process by elimination. We see Rome at first not much interested in Christianity, but as it developed from Jew to Gentile, not doubt it was first marginalized, tolerated, and became intolerant....The process just keeps going, just like today.

The issue of the Eucharist is of course a major interest to the RCs. But I think it goes to the imputed and infused graces of God. And the communicable and incommunicable relationship of God and humanity.

The Eucharist is a sort of concentrated "infused" grace. Most Protestants believe there is only a common priesthood amongst all believers, and therefore the "priesthood" of the Old Covenant negates an ongoing ordained priesthood in the New Covenant, by Jesus Christ after Melchizedec . In a sense this is true, but Jesus is the King of the Kingdom of Heaven, and Lord of the Sabbath. And this negates not only religious but all earthly authority. Yet in the Bible we are encouraged to submit to authority on earth, and so this must include both religious and earthly authorities....

It is both complex and simple. Just focus on Jesus, and follow Him....He is Wisdom.

Location hidden

#501508 Dec 20, 2013
ReginaM wrote:
"All Sins are Equal in God's Sight" ... And Other Stupid Statements
During my ordination, one of the questions that I was asked by a seminary professor was “Are all sins equal in the sight of God?” I hesitated. Not because I did not have a strong opinion on this, but because I was not sure what the answer was that he was looking for. Are all sins equal in the sight of God? My ordination may have depended on the answer.
Am curious...I am assuming you are a woman and that you are an ordained Pastor. If that be so, how do you square that with: 1Co 14:35 And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church.
OldJG

Rockford, IL

#501509 Dec 20, 2013
OldJG wrote:
OldJG wrote:
<quoted text>
Mortal sin? No partner, there is no mortal sin! SIN IS SIN. Mortal sin is a figment of your imagination.
Sadly you believe your salvation is based on what you do and is not based on the finished work of Jesus on the cross and your belief in that finished work. Therein lies the difference between the assurance of salvation and the loss of salvation. You seem to think if you do enough wonderful things your salvation is secured and if you sin your salvation is lost. Jesus died to GIVE salvation as a gift to all who do what? Believe on Him. Not belief from the head because we all know even satan believes. No, it is belief from the heart.
Remember this.......You cannot do enough good things so Jesus will love you more. You cannot do enough bad things so Jesus will love you less. Jesus loves you regardless. Your response to His love determines your eternal home.
Ever read this verse.....John 3:16, "For God so loved THE WORLD, that he gave his only Son, that WHOEVER BELIEVES in him should not perish but have eternal life."
For God so loved what?.........THE WORLD....so God loves all of us
And He did what? He gave His only Son..........Why? That whoever BELIEVES in Him should not perish but will have what? ETERNAL LIFE. What happens to those who do not believe? The verse tells us they perish.
When we believe we receive what?....ETERNAL LIFE. Not the words of OldJG but the words of Jesus Christ Himself. How long is eternal life? Is the time frame of eternal life based on how good or how bad we have been after we came to believe? Does His promise of eternal life end when we sin? Eternal life is ....... ETERNAL. No strings or expiration date.
<quoted text>
Does stealing a nickel's worth of ketchup make you or me a thief? Yes. Apparently you believe stealing a nickel's worth of ketchup is different than stealing a million dollars. But what does the Bible tell us. A thief is a thief if they take what does not belong to them.
Does an adulterous affair make the person an adulterer? Yes. Is this sin different than stealing a nickel's worth or ketchup or a million dollars? No. Sin is sin. There are no degrees of sin! Sin is..........SIN!
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
So of course then you believe the popes that you think committed fornication and murdered millions are didn't sin any greater than when you grabbed an extra handful of ketchup packets at McDonalds last night.
I never accused the popes of a greater sin than my own. They are sinful human beings just like you, Mary and me. Sin is sin. Let me ask. Is there a sin Jesus did not die for? Sin is sin. Whether it is fornication or murder. Sin is sin and Jesus paid the price for all sin.

If there are degrees of sin please provide the list showing the worst to the least. Of course there is no list.

Have you ever lied? Then you are a liar.
Have you ever gotten angry? Then you are a murderer
Have you look lustfully at someone? Then you are an adulterer
Have you ever taken something that did not belong to you? Then you are a thief.

You have done all of the above. So you are nothing more than a liar, murderer, adulterer and thief. Other than that, how did you like the play Mrs. Lincoln?

I Corinthians 6:11, "And such WERE some of you. But you were washed, but you were sanctified, but you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus and by the Spirit of our God."

James 2:10, "For whoever shall keep the whole law, and yet stumble in one point, he is guilty of all."
ReginaM

Toms River, NJ

#501510 Dec 20, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
Am curious...I am assuming you are a woman and that you are an ordained Pastor. If that be so, how do you square that with: 1Co 14:35 And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church.
No, you misunderstood. I neglected to cite the source, those are not my words.
They're from a Protestant Evangelical Fundamentalist minister, a Non-denominationalist. He goes on to say:

"It is very common within popular evangelicalism to answer this question in the affirmative. This was one of the main assumptions in a book that I just recommended last week. Most find this theological concept very appealing and accept it, I am afraid to say, without doing much homework.

I think this tendency to assume that all sins are equal in the sight of God comes by means of three influences.

1) A reaction by Protestants against the Roman Catholic distinction between mortal sins (sins that kill justifying grace) and venial sin (sins of a lesser nature that do not kill justifying grace).

2) A tendency within our evangelistic church culture to express common ground with unbelievers—i.e., if all sins are equal in God’s sight, then your sin is not worse than any other. This way we are not coming across as judgmental or condescending.

3) Some biblical passages that have been interpreted in such a way (discussed below).

I don’t believe, however, that all sin is equal in God’s sight. I do believe that telling people that it is does serious damage to people’s understanding of the character of God and of the seriousness of certain sins. There are many reasons for this, but let me start with a reductio ad absurdum and them move to a biblical argument."

He continues here: http://www.reclaimingthemind.org/blog/2009/09...

Since: Nov 12

Sacramento, CA

#501511 Dec 20, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
I have not the power to heal her....do you?????
That's why it's best to ignore her, only God can heal her,trying to argue with her about nothing won't change anything. Thanks for agreeing.
OldJG

Rockford, IL

#501512 Dec 20, 2013
OldJG wrote:
OldJG wrote:
Anthony MN wrote:
Salvation: Is Obedience to God Necessary?
So faith by itself, if it has no works, is dead....You see that a man is justified by works and not by faith alone. James 2:17,24
<quoted text>
Mark 16:16 "Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned."
Whoever BELIEVES and is baptized will be saved, but whoever DOES NOT BELIEVE will be condemned.(Capitalized by me)
Notice what the verse DOES NOT say.........NOT SAY
Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever DOES NOT BELIEVE and is NOT BAPTIZED is condemned.
Condemnation is not for lack of getting wet via water baptism. The condemnation is for LACK OF BELIEF!
<quoted text>
Salvation is both? Really? I don't think so. Let's see......
Is there Biblical proof the apostles were baptized? When I searched the Bible I could not find evidence of the original 12 being baptized. Paul was baptized but not the others. If we know they were never baptized are they in hell? Is your first pope in hell because someone did not throw some water in his face? How about John? Is he in hell. No, your theology is skewed by ignorance and lack of Biblical knowledge.
Dust Storm wrote:
<quoted text>
Yawn...After these things, Jesus and His disciples came into the land of Judea; there He remained with them, and He baptized."(John 3:22)
Clement of Alexandria AD 190
Christ is said to have baptised Peter alone, and Peter Andrew, and Andrew John, and they James and the rest.
The bible doesn't say lots of things. It doesnt say these are the books specificially. It doesnt say alot about the other disciples or what they said. It doesnt say a specific age of baptism. It doesnt say 40,0000 plus denominations and the individuals within them have the real deal on every issue of the day.
Its better to give than to receive right? What does Luke know? From whom and how did he learn what to write? Did the deposit of faith end with the Apostles? Where does the bible say that?
Jesus breathed upon the Apostles 39 days before pentecost. What did he tell them? So since they had already received the Holy Spirit what was going on at Pentecost? You get a different answer depending on the Protestant you ask, but I will go with Protestant James White who said most Protestants are clueless what the bible really says.
Hey clueless, read John 4:2, "although in fact it was not Jesus who baptized, but his disciples." What does this verse tell us? JESUS NEVER BAPTIZED ANYONE!

Dust Storm said, quote, "Clement of Alexandria AD 190
Christ is said to have baptised Peter alone, and Peter Andrew, and Andrew John, and they James and the rest." End quote.

Your information is not valid. It is vague at best. Read your own quote. "Christ is said to have baptized". Is said to? Which actually means "he could have" and not that He, being Jesus, did baptize. I will stick with John 4:2, "although in fact it was not Jesus who baptized, but his disciples."

Now Dust Storm, your alligator mouth has overloaded your parakeet rear end again. You blow smoke with no Biblical text to support your mad-man ranting.

If baptism was so important why doesn't the Bible contain the baptism of all of the apostles. Not one baptism of the original 12 is recorded in the Bible. Why is that? Because getting wet has nothing to do with getting saved!

Sacramento, CA

#501513 Dec 20, 2013
Working for the Lord wrote:
<quoted text> For monkeys that kind of behavior is normal ,for humans we are not to masturbate by bringing up an image of someone that makes us feel erotic other than our spouse. Not Helpful
Matthew 5:28 ESV / 908 helpful votes
But I say to you that everyone who looks at a woman with lustful intent has already committed adultery with her in his heart.
Are you winning the argument with June Vanderkamp? How funny, now you are both arguing about masturbation. Give it up, she is not worth the effort. Ignore her.
Dust Storm

Minneapolis, MN

#501514 Dec 20, 2013
Robert F wrote:
<quoted text>
Dust Storm
A sort of process by elimination. We see Rome at first not much interested in Christianity, but as it developed from Jew to Gentile, not doubt it was first marginalized, tolerated, and became intolerant....The process just keeps going, just like today.
The issue of the Eucharist is of course a major interest to the RCs. But I think it goes to the imputed and infused graces of God. And the communicable and incommunicable relationship of God and humanity.
The Eucharist is a sort of concentrated "infused" grace. Most Protestants believe there is only a common priesthood amongst all believers, and therefore the "priesthood" of the Old Covenant negates an ongoing ordained priesthood in the New Covenant, by Jesus Christ after Melchizedec . In a sense this is true, but Jesus is the King of the Kingdom of Heaven, and Lord of the Sabbath. And this negates not only religious but all earthly authority. Yet in the Bible we are encouraged to submit to authority on earth, and so this must include both religious and earthly authorities....
It is both complex and simple. Just focus on Jesus, and follow Him....He is Wisdom.
Well Robert all Jews in the OT were referred to as a Royal Priesthood as well. The common priesthood of Protestants. That is the problem I have with all Protestants. ALL of you have made yourselves an authority. You all think you are following Jesus. Jesus founded a church, the ground and pillar of the truth. At no time did everyone make their individual choices as to what they should do individually, nor are they all preachers. When you take it upon yourself that you can pick, choose, decipher at your whim you acknowledge no authority but your personal belief or desire. The Apostles AND Presbyters met. Not the flock on circumcision. A decision was made. Now someone could have said well Jesus didnt want that and the Apostles are wrong. Some clearly did. Paul was definitely challenged on his authority and some Protestants today do too. Well unless your Preston busy calling Peter Satan and Mary a bad Mother. Sigh Not just anyone was chosen or ordained. Keep in mind virtually every heresy believed they were following Jesus. There was an authority.
So Peter was both an Apostle AND a presbyter. Therefore, we can draw the conclusion that all Apostles were presbyters but not all presbyters were Apostles. Yet, did the presbyters have the same or similar teaching authority as the Apostles? Yes, they did:

Acts 14:23 --"They (Paul and Barnabas) appointed presbyters for them in each church and, with prayer and fasting, commended them to the Lord in Whom they put their faith."

Acts 15:2 -- "Because there arose no little dissension and debate by Paul and Barnabas with them (some presbyters from Jerusalem), it was decided that Paul and Barnabas, and some of the others, should go up to Jerusalem to the Apostles and presbyters about this question."

Acts 15:6 -- "The Apostles and presbyters met together to see about this matter."

Acts 15:22 -- "The Apostles and presbyters, in agreement with the whole church, decided to choose representatives and send them to Antioch (i.e. to give authoritative teaching).

Acts 15:23 -- "This is the letter delivered by them:'The Apostles and presbyters, your brothers, to the brothers of Antioch, Syria, and Cilicia of Gentile origin..." (it then proceeds to give authoritative teaching).

Sacramento, CA

#501515 Dec 20, 2013
Robert F wrote:
<quoted text>
June

Simple story. I wonder why you can't catch on?
Exactly, she can't and she won't, time to move on past her, time to ignore her, maybe she will retreat to her closet and admire her hitler poster.

Sacramento, CA

#501516 Dec 20, 2013
Jumper The Wise wrote:
<quoted text>
June.You don't need to justify yourself to anyone.
We've always known how you are and put up with it for pitty sakes.
Exactly, that is why we all need to move on past her, she is not worth it, let her retreat to her closet and read her Stalin books.
Dust Storm

Minneapolis, MN

#501517 Dec 20, 2013
Acts 21:18-25 -- "The next day, Paul accompanied us on a visit to James, and all the presbyters were present. They praised God when they heard [what God accomplished among the Gentiles] but said to them,'Brothers, you see how many thousands of believers there are from among the Jews...So, do what we tell you...As for the Gentiles who have come to believe, we sent them our decision that they abstain from the meat of strangled animals" etc.(i.e. the authoritative letter of Acts 15).

1 Thess 5:12 -- "We ask you, brothers, to respect those who are laboring among you and who are over you in the Lord and who admonish you, and show esteem for them with special love on account of their work."

Hebrews 13:17 -- "Obey those who have the rule over you, and submit yourselves; for they watch for your souls, as they that must give an account, that they may do it with joy, and not with grief: for that is unprofitable for you."

Philippians 2:29 -- Speaking of a particular presbyter, Epaphroditus, Paul tells the Philippians to: "Welcome him then in the Lord with all joy and hold such people in esteem, because of the sake of the work of Christ he came close to death, risking his life to make up for those services to me that you could not perform."

This authority and the respect due to it (because of the office) is something very clear in the early Christian understanding:

Acts 23:2-5 -- "Then the High Priest Ananias ordered his attendants to strike his mouth. Then Paul said to him,'God will strike you, you whitewashed wall. Do you indeed sit in judgment upon me according to the law, and yet in violation of the law you order me struck?' The attendants said,'Would you revile God's high priest?' Paul answered,'Brothers, I did not realize he was the high priest. For, it is written:'You shall not curse a ruler of your people.' "

Yet, while the Apostles and presbyters possessed even greater authority than the High Priest of Israel (and they knew it: Acts 4:18-20 & Acts 5:29-32), they preferred to exercise their authority within the context of Christian charity (which is why modern readers of Scripture sometimes assume this authority did not exist):

Philemon 8 --"Therefore, although I have the full right in Christ to order you to do what is proper, I rather urge you out of love to [do so], being as I am Paul, an old man, and now also a prisoner for Christ Jesus."

1 Peter 5:1-4 -- "So I exhort the presbyters among you, as a fellow presbyter and a witness to the sufferings of Christ...Tend the flock of God in your midst, overseeing not by constraint but willingly, as God would have it, not for shameful profit, but eagerly. Do not lord over those assigned to you, but be examples to the flock. And when the chief Shepherd is revealed, you will receive the unfading crown of glory."

http://www.philvaz.com/apologetics/a31.htm

Sacramento, CA

#501518 Dec 20, 2013
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
i got sum bad news 4 ya, June hon, YOU are no different either, only you're on an anti-religious religious campaign;-)
when in rome.....
Exactly, she is a waste of your time and effort.

Sacramento, CA

#501519 Dec 20, 2013
Chess wrote:
<quoted text>
Not that it matters much, but you appear to be wrong:
"Israel Zolli (September 27, 1881, Brody, Galicia – March 2, 1956, Rome, Italy) was from 1939 to 1945 Chief Rabbi of Rome. After the war, he converted to Roman Catholicism, taking the name Eugenio in honor of Pope Pius XII."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israel_Zolli
Can't win or lose an argument with Vanderkamp, she is just here to keep repeating her anti God nonsense. Let her reside on a anti god hate site.
Chess

Columbus, OH

#501520 Dec 20, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
Shut up.

"It's a Wonderful Life" is on.

Dummy.
Chess

Columbus, OH

#501521 Dec 20, 2013
RiccardoFire wrote:
<quoted text>Can't win or lose an argument with Vanderkamp, she is just here to keep repeating her anti God nonsense. Let her reside on a anti god hate site.
Tell me about it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 1 min EL of Canaan 808,344
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 10 min truth 608,069
Do women like male butts? How do I know if I ha... (Oct '11) 12 min But ter 56
Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 17 min KiMare 97,839
Tamilan history 18 min My name is Ashok ... 2
angka toto malaysia di jamin tembus (Aug '14) 29 min muhammad 4
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 40 min WasteWater 268,743
Dubai massage Body To Body full service 0559... (Mar '14) 14 hr same 199
More from around the web