Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.
Comments
483,161 - 483,180 of 538,953 Comments Last updated 13 min ago

Since: Sep 09

Terrace, Canada

#500636 Dec 17, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
Praise the,LORD who deigned to come to earth to save us
Have you convinced your SELF that Jesus believes exactly what YOU believe???
Husker Du

Falls City, NE

#500637 Dec 17, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
Once more,AGAIN NICELY AS,I TRIED ..it's, The,Christmas,season..
Libel and,slander are,UNTRUE,..Statements.....by definition....
Please,let's,all play nice at least until after HIS,BIRTHDAY ..no more dirty talk ..etc
We,FORGIVE Each others,trespasses,...as,we ask.to be forgiven.....let's,pray for that and make nice or at least ignore,each other ...
Have a,blessed Christmas ..You and your family ..let's,Praise the,LORD who deigned to come to earth to save us,..Let Jesus,bring HIS,peace to this,forum. In His,By name,we ask you FATHER ..cleanse a enmity from us,
AMEN
that's really funny. Do you actually know what libel is? what about slndeer? I don't even know who you are. go find a hobbie, Go look up what slander and libel is. You said I hacked, that is slander and libel.

Terrace, Canada

#500638 Dec 17, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
So Revelation is referring to the city located in present day Iraq?
Have you convinced your SELF that Jesus believes what YOU believe???
Anthony MN

Saint Paul, MN

#500639 Dec 17, 2013
Chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
I went to our men's Bible study last night. We are studying Samuel and we came across this verse. It's a prayer from Hannah 1 Sam 2:
There is none holy like the Lord
for there is none besides you;
there is no rock like our God.
**I thought of catholics with their claim about Peter being the rock and now you post the samething...funny stuff.
Hannah gets it...why don't catholics
Jesus called him rock. Apparently He didn't get it either. Probably should have checked with you first...

Terrace, Canada

#500640 Dec 17, 2013
If you aren't convinced that Jesus believed and believes exactly what you believe ... that means that what you believe is WRONG.

You can't swing your theology both ways and make it fit.

Religion is mythical arrogant BUNK!!!
Husker Du

Falls City, NE

#500641 Dec 17, 2013
Well rose, here it is, I guess youy libeled me.....RoSesz
“Joy To.The World ”
Since: Aug 08
Has been crowned Reigning Champ Really knows how to score Early adopter
The LORD Has Come
Reply »|Report Abuse|Judge it!|#5005542 hrs ago
Judged:Agree1Touching1Helpful1
Husker Du wrote:
<quoted text>If she is a good married Christian woman, why does she post hate filled posts? You get after me and others , but never her. She has said some very nasty things and so have you. You use words that really sting, and you act real innocent along with sera. Exoect a little noise when you attack people , yes you have. Sera protected a poster that is infatuated with the subject of pedophilia, sera agreeing with him, makes me wonder. YOU insult my Church, You are only on this forum to push hatred towards the Church.. l.
YOU'RE,WRONG again..I DO NOT hate your Church..You all will not admit things,have changed,..I do not hate any one,..nor HAVE I EVER insulted nor slandered..nor changed people's posts any one on a personal level ..even you ..
This is,a DEBATE FORUM...PEOPLE DISAGREE ..
maybe some people hate your CHURCH I do not .
They do MUCH good in the,world,
It is,NOT required we AGREE WITH YOU . SERA DIES NOT MAKE HER living in the nasty way you said..hat is,slander ..libelous ...
Your Church has,believed or now,believes,some,doctrine,I do not agree,with...so what ..
Sera,was standing up for MICHAEL. ONLY because of what was said about Him..And to clad,credit HE apologized. They are ok..yet you persist in insinuations personally about both of them ..
This, IS,NOT A PLACE For personal insults ..or gutter talk.. not only is that not What WE should do ITS,AGAIBST TOPix TOS,to infer what you did .....And no matter how many times you are told ...it's,AGAINST THE RULES you keep on
No.One herd goes to the gutter in a regular basis..I'm sorry . But it does,not reflect well...on what you say you have learned
.for the last time ..It's,advent almost Christmas ..please get your mind and posting out of teacher gutter ...please knit.....'ve seen you post normal ..star your opinion.....please go hack o that ...
..disagreement is,allowed..gutter is not ...
And I do not hate the Roman Catholic church ...

Terrace, Canada

#500642 Dec 17, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus called him rock...
Do you see what you are doing with your habit???

Jesus believes as YOU believe!!!

Your head is full of nonsense that YOU willingly invited IN and now in turn preach is based on truth.

Terrace, Canada

#500643 Dec 17, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
<quoted text>
````
YOU FOUND YOUR AVATAR IN THE BIBLE ...RIGHT

:)

Even for me, that is a silly question.

:)

Terrace, Canada

#500644 Dec 17, 2013
Husker Du wrote:
Well rose, here it is, I guess youy libeled me.....RoSesz
“Joy To.The World ”
Since: Aug 08
Has been crowned Reigning Champ Really knows how to score Early adopter
The LORD Has Come
Reply »|Report Abuse|Judge it!|#5005542 hrs ago
Judged:Agree1Touching1Helpful1
Husker Du wrote:
<quoted text>If she is a good married Christian woman, why does she post hate filled posts? You get after me and others , but never her. She has said some very nasty things and so have you. You use words that really sting, and you act real innocent along with sera. Exoect a little noise when you attack people , yes you have. Sera protected a poster that is infatuated with the subject of pedophilia, sera agreeing with him, makes me wonder. YOU insult my Church, You are only on this forum to push hatred towards the Church.. l.
YOU'RE,WRONG again..I DO NOT hate your Church..You all will not admit things,have changed,..I do not hate any one,..nor HAVE I EVER insulted nor slandered..nor changed people's posts any one on a personal level ..even you ..
This is,a DEBATE FORUM...PEOPLE DISAGREE ..
maybe some people hate your CHURCH I do not .
They do MUCH good in the,world,
It is,NOT required we AGREE WITH YOU . SERA DIES NOT MAKE HER living in the nasty way you said..hat is,slander ..libelous ...
Your Church has,believed or now,believes,some,doctrine,I do not agree,with...so what ..
Sera,was standing up for MICHAEL. ONLY because of what was said about Him..And to clad,credit HE apologized. They are ok..yet you persist in insinuations personally about both of them ..
This, IS,NOT A PLACE For personal insults ..or gutter talk.. not only is that not What WE should do ITS,AGAIBST TOPix TOS,to infer what you did .....And no matter how many times you are told ...it's,AGAINST THE RULES you keep on
No.One herd goes to the gutter in a regular basis..I'm sorry . But it does,not reflect well...on what you say you have learned
.for the last time ..It's,advent almost Christmas ..please get your mind and posting out of teacher gutter ...please knit.....'ve seen you post normal ..star your opinion.....please go hack o that ...
..disagreement is,allowed..gutter is not ...
And I do not hate the Roman Catholic church ...

“let's do this thang!”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#500645 Dec 17, 2013
hi catholics! did anyone hear from 'mary' lately? let me guess; she said to keep praying them silly lil beads even tho Christ clearly told us not to......

Terrace, Canada

#500646 Dec 17, 2013
Devout Christians are ALL certain that they KNOW the "thoughts" of Jesus.

Isn't THAT interesting???

If you want to know what Jesus believes, ask any devout Christian ...but don't expect the same supposed "answer." Because if you do, you will be VERY disappointed.
Husker Du

Falls City, NE

#500647 Dec 17, 2013
And rose, I know what you are doing, you are trying to get me banned. I have read where you do this, I have never made dirty posts. Do you even know what is dirty and what is not? I don't post about x rated things, or even r rated things. You saying I do is slander and wrong. A good Christian woman wouldn't say what you are saying about me or any one else. People disagree with you rose, you want to control these people by posting such nonsence, you play topix really well.
Anthony MN

Saint Paul, MN

#500648 Dec 17, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Your head is full of nonsense that YOU willingly invited IN and now in turn preach is based on truth.
So I should accept your preaching instead? What is it about you and your preaching that I should reject everything I've learned? What proof do you have that what I've learned is wrong?

Since: Nov 12

Sacramento, CA

#500649 Dec 17, 2013
Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>
You need to cite your sources:
http://www.soundwords.net/mmj/was_peter_the_f...
Read slower, the bible verses are posted.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#500650 Dec 17, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
The Roman Catholic Church says that the rock cannot refer to Jesus, "but only Peter, as is so much more apparent in Aramaic in which the same word (Kipha) is used for 'Peter' and 'rock'." The problem is that the text is not in Aramaic, but Greek. Since we do not have the Aramaic text, it is not proper to refer to it as proof of the Roman Catholic position. We have to ask ourselves why the Roman Catholic Church would resort to using something that we don't have: the aramaic text. Is it because their argument is not supported by the Greek and so they must infer something from a text we don't possess?

Furthermore, in John 1:42 it says, "He brought him to Jesus. Jesus looked at him, and said, "You are Simon the son of John; you shall be called Cephas," (which is translated Peter)." The word "Peter" here is petros, not petra. It is used to elucidate the Aramaic kephas which is not a name in Aramaic.

"Except in Jn. 1:42, where it is used to elucidate Aramaic k&#275;phás, Pétros is used in the NT only as a name for Simon Peter....The translation supports the view that K&#275;phás is not a proper name, since one does not usually translate proper names."1

Jesus is the rock on which the church is built

The truth is that the only foundation is Jesus. The only rock of truth is Jesus Christ and that we, as his redeemed, need to keep our eyes on him. We are to look to no one else as the foundation, the source, or the hope on which the church is built. The Church is built upon Jesus, not Peter.

"For no man can lay a foundation other than the one which is laid, which is Jesus Christ," (1 Cor. 3:11).
Just Sayin

Antioch, TN

#500651 Dec 17, 2013
atemcowboy wrote:
<quoted text>since I differ from the campbellite church member, I would never venture to tell a devil worshipper like you where to go.LOL
So you admit you don't have anything to offer besides carping snipes.

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#500652 Dec 17, 2013
marge wrote:
<quoted text>
Psalm 75.7
It is God alone who judges; he decides who will rise and who will fall.
Do you have any proof to this statement?

Or do you always believe what you read by men?

Since: Nov 12

Sacramento, CA

#500653 Dec 17, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Some quotes from prominent protestant historians,
"It seems certain that Peter spent his closing years in Rome. Although the NT appears silent about such a stay, it is supported by 1 Peter 5:13, where 'BABYLON' is a code-name for ROME,
There is no evidence that Rome was ever called Babylon until after the writing of the Book of Revelation in A.D. 90-96, many years after Peter's death. Peter's method and manner of writing are not apocalyptic. On the contrary, Peter is a man plain of speech, almost blunt, who would not interject such a mystical allusion into his personal explanations and final salutation.
Babylon is no more cryptic than Pontus, Asia, or the other places mentioned when Peter says the elect in Babylon send greetings to the Jews of the Dispersion in Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia, and Bithynia.
Babylon, no longer a great world capital in the time of Peter, was still inhabited by a colony of people, mostly Jews, many of whom Peter befriended and won to Christ.
A study of the chronology of Peter's travels argues for "Babylon" to be the Babylon on the Euphrates.
OldJG

Rockford, IL

#500654 Dec 17, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Some quotes from prominent protestant historians,
"It seems certain that Peter spent his closing years in Rome. Although the NT appears silent about such a stay, it is supported by 1 Peter 5:13, where 'BABYLON' is a code-name for ROME, and by the strong case for linking the Gospel of Mark, who as Peter's companion (1 Pet 5:13) is said to have derived its substance from him, with Rome. To early writers like Clement of Rome (c. 95), Ignatius of Antioch (c. 107), and Irenaeus (c. 180) it was common knowledge that he worked and died in Rome."
"The First Epistle of Peter has been the fundamental text for the contention that Peter was in Rome. Its closing salutation,'The church that is in Babylon....saluteth you'(1 Peter v,13), refers UNDOUBTEDLY to Rome. Babylon was then in ruins, and there was no tradition for five centuries that Peter had been there, whereas the tradition connecting him with Rome is one of the STRONGEST in the Church. Babylon is used for Rome in the Sibylline Oracles and in Revelation (14:8; 16:19; 17:5; 18:2,10).....
"Upon the whole, there seems nothing improbable in the tradition and the belief of Catholic writers in St. Peter's early labors in Rome. His martyrdom there, at a later period, is vouched for by a fairly continuous line of references in the documents from Clement on."
"In 5:13 the writer sends greetings from 'she who is in Babylon, chosen together with you'. This seems like a reference to the local church in Babylon, but it is unlikely that Peter would have gone to the former capital of Nebuchadnezzar's empire.
"By Peter's time it was a sparsely inhabited ruin (fulfilling Isaiah 14:23). In Rev 16:19 and 17:5 'Babylon' is used as a cryptic name for Rome, and Col 4:10 and Phm 24 (most likely written in Rome) show that Mark was there with Paul. In 2 Tim 4:11 Mark is in Asia Minor, and Paul sends for him to come, most probably to Rome."
"The fact that neither Peter nor Paul mentions the other in the list of those sending greetings from Rome merely suggests that they were not together at the time of writing their letters. All this points to the theory that Peter was writing from Rome, which is supported by the evidence of Tertullian (praescrip haeret, 36) and Eusebius (Eccl History, 2.25.8; 2.15.2 and 3.1.2-3)."
"...to deny the Roman stay of Peter is an error which today is clear to every scholar who is not blind. The martyr death of Peter at Rome was once contested by reason of Protestant prejudice."
"That Peter as well as Paul was put to death at Rome under Nero is the UNANIMOUS testimony of Christian tradition so far as it touches this subject."
"That Peter and Paul were the most eminent of many Christians who suffered martyrdom in Rome under Nero is CERTAIN; that they were claimed as co-founders of the Roman church and that this, together with their martyrdom there, conferred great religious (as distinct from political) prestige on that church, is likewise CERTAIN...."
"ALL the early sources...clearly suggest to us, namely, that Peter sojourned in Rome and died a martyr there. Any other hypothesis regarding Peter's death piles difficulty upon difficulty, and cannot be supported by a single document."
"[It is] quite certain that he [Peter] died there [Rome] a martyr's death in the persecution under Nero (about A.D. 65)."
Protestant historian? Really? Wrong again AnthonyMN. Why lie ALL the time?

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#500655 Dec 17, 2013
RoSesz wrote:

Sorry no ..
http://www.bible-history.com/maps/galilee_nor ...
You may pas through SAMARIA as,Jesus,did .going from.Galilee . To The rest of Judea...many Jews,did not
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
You are using a Roman political division, NOT a Jewish/Isreali one.
Galillee IS part of Samaria AKA Israel AKA Northern Kingdom. It is NOT part of Judea AKA Southern Kingdom.
If I may suggest to Rose a book:

James Tabor's "The Jesus Dynasty" - if not for the roles of Jesus and John, but for a bit of a history and geography lesson.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/jesus-dynasty...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 9 min Seraphima 599,912
Word association game (Aug '08) 10 min andet1987 53,253
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 15 min Chris Clearwater 173,282
3 Word Game (Feb '12) 15 min repeat offender 4,150
Play "end of the word" (Jan '11) 18 min WasteWater 4,335
Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 20 min WasteWater 94,672
Which is the Oldest Indian Language? Sanskrit V... (Jul '08) 25 min shyam 5,317
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 31 min It aint necessari... 732,990
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 1 hr Dr_Zorderz 257,997
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 2 hr Patrick 226,341