Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 653795 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

“GOD SO LOVED US”

Since: Aug 08

He Gave His SON,JESUS Christ

#492287 Nov 16, 2013
ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
I can only point you to what the Church teaches, Liam. There are lots of personal opinions flying around; priests and nuns are guilty of it too, I'm afraid. Opinions can be misleading. This forum is a prime example of that. If there's a definite Church teaching on something, then we need to go with that as there's a good reason for it, and we don't want to lead people into error. That's what the Catechism is for.
Ok .Regina,..are the bible scriptures,indeed from.the apostles,and,Paul ??
If you have read any of my posts,to Clay ...I'm.NOT putting down your Church..just contesting what he has been inferring for a month now,.

If a,priest is,doing a reading..names the author ..is,He telling the truth ..I always,assumed He was .

If you all now have no legal study ..is there some.secret dogmas about authenticity ..

Since: Sep 09

Dawson Creek, Canada

#492288 Nov 16, 2013
Seraphima wrote:
<quoted text>I got your point June. The fact is you enjoy insulting people
Of course I enjoy insulting people who are so arrogant as to believe that a god loves them while rejecting others.

And even though you pretend that you are holy you also enjoy insulting others. Every time you insinuate that another person's religion is wrong and yours is right, you insult the other person.

FUN ... isn't it???

:)

Since: Sep 09

Dawson Creek, Canada

#492289 Nov 16, 2013
Hermeneutics Smutics wrote:
<quoted text>==========
Col Kurtz,
Many Jews were killed by the Romans in the Jewish Roman Wars
The First Jewish Revolt spanned 66–73 AD.
The problems began germinating with the Jewish Zealots circa 66-70 with the revolt against Rome.
IN 70 A.D.Roman Gen Titus and his 30,000 soldiers broke through the walls of Jerusalem.Entering the city they destroyed nearly everything,They stole what survived.600,000 TO 1,000,000 people were killed.They repeated their evil at Caesarea. Over 90,000 were taken captive.
Despite the toll the undaunted Jewish Spirit refused to submit, leading to the Kitos Revolt(115–117) and the Bar Kokhba Revolt.(132–135)
The Jewish Roman Wars were devastating to the Jews, transforming them into a scattered, persecuted. people.
And what else is new???

Humans enjoyed and still enjoy the slaughter of others.

“GOD SO LOVED US”

Since: Aug 08

He Gave His SON,JESUS Christ

#492290 Nov 16, 2013
Liam wrote:
<quoted text>
What you could do is take what I said and prove me wrong. Google and research it. Did the Apostles actually pen every book of the NT?
I can't find any scholars that say yes. Maybe you can. Maybe you can find a 'the rapture is here dot com' website that'll disagree with me.lol
So you think.they were NOT the authors,..AUTHOR ...not penner..AUTHOR ..
when the,Priest says,the,Epistle of,Paul...it's,untrue or possibly untrue

Since: Sep 09

Dawson Creek, Canada

#492291 Nov 16, 2013
Seraphima wrote:
<.But I do know what you posted to clay was gross,insulting and uncalled for period.
Yet you believe it's okie dokie when Clay states that I will spend eternity in hell???

You do have your priorities about what you believe is and is not "uncalled for" ... don't you???

I happen to disagree with you.

I suggest to believe that others will burn in hell is what is really uncalled for.

That type of teaching drove many humans to insanity and suicide.

But THAT doesn't bother YOU ... does it self-perceived HOLY-one???
OldJG

Rockford, IL

#492292 Nov 16, 2013
<quoted text>
Do you understand how un-Biblical your teaching on baptism is?
Might I ask, why was Jesus baptized?
Liam wrote:
<quoted text>
Its not my teaching. Keep in mind, its the Roman Catholic, Byzantine Catholic, Syrian Catholic, Coptic Catholic , Orthodox, Protestant, Lutheran, Methodist, Anglican..everyone ..., its even half the born again movements teaching!! You guys are completely divided on baptism.
Your new gospel is so new, some of you were alive when it was introduced.
Water is essential for life and apparently God thought it was essential for salvation too. You can't change it.
You never answered the question. Why was Jesus baptized?

Since: Sep 09

Dawson Creek, Canada

#492293 Nov 16, 2013
The Christians came up with a fake savior, and then the Muslims felt a need to come up with a 12th Imam ... another fake savior.

The competition is alive and unwell.

“GOD SO LOVED US”

Since: Aug 08

He Gave His SON,JESUS Christ

#492294 Nov 16, 2013
Liam wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly. This poses a major problem for Preston, Confrint and old gee.
If some of the NT wasn't actually written by the Apostles, but written by their Disciples, then you guys are even more reckless for excluding the other writings of their Disciples. Like the epistle of Clement or Ignatius. Here you have a gold mine of insight into the minds of people who sat, ate and slept near Paul and Peter. They fortify what was actually taught by their writings. Yet, since its too catholic for ya, you choose to ignore it and follow one of the many thousands of paper popes?? Makes no sense to a sincere Christian.
NO NO NO

IF I AM PETER ..TELL ll John Mark.about my life ..he,writes it down. I AM THE,AUTHER ..
IF I'm Paul say write this o the Church at Corinth to TINOTHY AS,AN EXAMPLE,...PAUL IS,THE,AUTHOR OF THE LETTER ..

If that even the case,.I'm giving YOUR THEORY A,TRY ...THE named author

You are,revelling in on putting down JG ..ME OR PRESTON at the expense,of your Churches,veracity ...

They May indeed have written them .EITH their own hand ..or used,scribes,

And,Y OUR CHURCH authenticated them as,such ..in the CANON..I THOUGHT ..unless,if course,t her,is,secret dogma,that allows,the,priest to lie,to those in the pews,each week ...

Since: Sep 09

Dawson Creek, Canada

#492295 Nov 16, 2013
Re: Is There One Correct Madhab???

I understand your confusion. Its so hard to try to understand all these different words and phrases and what they mean. No mahab is better then the other. A madhab is just the opinions of certain scholars and built upon by their students and students students. Hanifi madhab started by Abu hanifia, Hanbali started by ibn Hanbal, maliki by imam Malik, etc. Some mathab have died out and no one practices them anymore, but the main four are Hanifi which is the biggest, Shafi, Maliki, and Hanbali which is the smallest.

Re: Is There One Correct Madhab???

http://forums.islamicawakening.com/f20/is-the...

Since: Sep 09

Dawson Creek, Canada

#492296 Nov 16, 2013
OldJG wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you understand how un-Biblical your teaching on baptism is?
Might I ask, why was Jesus baptized?
<quoted text>
You never answered the question. Why was Jesus baptized?
Because the Catholic theologians wanted everyone to believe that an "WISE" Jew would abandoned Judaism.

Since: Sep 09

Dawson Creek, Canada

#492297 Nov 16, 2013
a "WISE" Jew
Liam

Detroit, MI

#492298 Nov 16, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
So you think.they were NOT the authors,..AUTHOR ...not penner..AUTHOR ..
when the,Priest says,the,Epistle of,Paul...it's,untrue or possibly untrue
Either Paul wrote it himself; or he leaned over Luke or Clement and told them word for word; or one of them wrote on behalf of Pauls teachings.... Using their own inspired words.
The last scenario poses a major problem for the fundamental, but not the Catholic. That's what I was trying to bring up. Bible compilation is just another part in the long list of fundie ignorance.

“GOD SO LOVED US”

Since: Aug 08

He Gave His SON,JESUS Christ

#492299 Nov 16, 2013
Liam wrote:
<quoted text>
Whoa. The NT is genuine. Its the word of God. The Catholic Church shows more respect towards these writings than anyone I've ever seen.
This respect includes not putting a false label on them or forgetting where they came from.
Ten why do you keep posting that they are,not written because,Jesus,did not tell them to write ..or that they did not write,them.

That's,my point ..IT IS,GENUINE,...

Your posts,has cast doubt on them ...several times..while lauding Ignatius,..for weeks now,

And I really don't get why ..unless,as you just posted,to confound the,preachers,herd ...

Since: Jul 08

Location hidden

#492300 Nov 16, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
Re: Is There One Correct Madhab???
I understand your confusion. Its so hard to try to understand all these different words and phrases and what they mean. No mahab is better then the other. A madhab is just the opinions of certain scholars and built upon by their students and students students. Hanifi madhab started by Abu hanifia, Hanbali started by ibn Hanbal, maliki by imam Malik, etc. Some mathab have died out and no one practices them anymore, but the main four are Hanifi which is the biggest, Shafi, Maliki, and Hanbali which is the smallest.
Re: Is There One Correct Madhab???
http://forums.islamicawakening.com/f20/is-the...
You're on the wrong thread, June.

Maybe you were looking for the "Why my Religion's Founder Was a Pedophile" thread.
ReginaM

Toms River, NJ

#492301 Nov 16, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok .Regina,..are the bible scriptures,indeed from.the apostles,and,Paul ??
If you have read any of my posts,to Clay ...I'm.NOT putting down your Church..just contesting what he has been inferring for a month now,.
If a,priest is,doing a reading..names the author ..is,He telling the truth ..I always,assumed He was .
If you all now have no legal study ..is there some.secret dogmas about authenticity ..
Rose, I think you're misunderstanding Clay. He's not saying the NT is not divinely inspired. Of course he believes that it is!
The apostles did not author all the books directly. For instance, St. Mark was a disciple of St. Peter, and wasn't an eye witness. Likewise, St. Luke was a gentile and I believe a disciple of St. Paul. Do you have a study bible? They usually give this kind of information in the introduction to each book.
ReginaM

Toms River, NJ

#492302 Nov 16, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
Ten why do you keep posting that they are,not written because,Jesus,did not tell them to write ..or that they did not write,them.
That's,my point ..IT IS,GENUINE,...
Your posts,has cast doubt on them ...several times..while lauding Ignatius,..for weeks now,
And I really don't get why ..unless,as you just posted,to confound the,preachers,herd ...
Rose, Jesus didn't tell anyone to write anything down. He commissioned them to *preach*....Oral Tradition.

I'll quote the Catechism because it does a much better job of explaining than I can:

PART ONE
THE PROFESSION OF FAITH
SECTION ONE
"I BELIEVE" - "WE BELIEVE"

CHAPTER TWO
GOD COMES TO MEET MAN

ARTICLE 2
THE TRANSMISSION OF DIVINE REVELATION
I. THE APOSTOLIC TRADITION

75 "Christ the Lord, in whom the entire Revelation of the most high God is summed up, commanded the apostles to preach the Gospel, which had been promised beforehand by the prophets, and which he fulfilled in his own person and promulgated with his own lips. In preaching the Gospel, they were to communicate the gifts of God to all men. This Gospel was to be the source of all saving truth and moral discipline."32

In the apostolic preaching...

76 In keeping with the Lord's command, the Gospel was handed on in two ways:

- orally "by the apostles who handed on, by the spoken word of their preaching, by the example they gave, by the institutions they established, what they themselves had received - whether from the lips of Christ, from his way of life and his works, or whether they had learned it at the prompting of the Holy Spirit";33

- in writing "by those apostles and other men associated with the apostles who, under the inspiration of the same Holy Spirit, committed the message of salvation to writing".34
http://www.scborromeo.org/ccc/p1s1c2a2.htm

“GOD SO LOVED US”

Since: Aug 08

He Gave His SON,JESUS Christ

#492303 Nov 16, 2013
Liam wrote:
<quoted text>
Whoa. The NT is genuine. Its the word of God. The Catholic Church shows more respect towards these writings than anyone I've ever seen.
This respect includes not putting a false label on them or forgetting where they came from.
CLAY ..

"Liam"]
Exactly. This poses a major problem for Preston, Confrint and old gee.
If some of the NT wasn't actually written by the Apostles, but written by their Disciples, then you guys are even more reckless for excluding the other writings of their Disciples. Like the epistle of Clement or Ignatius. Here you have a gold mine of insight into the minds of people who sat, ate and slept near Paul and Peter. They fortify what was actually taught by their writings. Yet, since its too catholic for ya, you choose to ignore it and follow one of the many thousands of paper popes?? Makes no sense to a sincere Christian.

YOU are contradicting yourself here ..that's,what I'm.trying to show you ....I AND MY FELLOW,BORN AGAIN S,..BELIEVE THE MR is,Genuine ..

I'm not sure EHAT you think...by your posts,...

You said last week.

The Apostles,did not write ..because JESUS,did NOT TELL them to ...which made no sense at all ...He,also did not say speak Egyptian....
You revere Ignatius but say Peter did not AUTHOR his,words ...
Liam

Detroit, MI

#492304 Nov 16, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
Ten why do you keep posting that they are,not written because,Jesus,did not tell them to write ..or that they did not write,them.
That's,my point ..IT IS,GENUINE,...
Your posts,has cast doubt on them ...several times..while lauding Ignatius,..for weeks now,
And I really don't get why ..unless,as you just posted,to confound the,preachers,herd ...
I hope my posts aren't demeaning the Bible. Nothing could further from the truth. I just recognize a major difference in approach between the fundamental and us.
To us, the Gospel according to John, could have been written by his student and the validity wouldn't matter. Paul may have told Clement to write a letter to the Hebrews as many scholars argue. Therefore, unless Paul stood over Clement and directed every word, you'll be forced to admit that the Holy Spirit used Clement of Rome to write a book that's in the Bible.
If this is true, then Clements other epistles can't be completely disregarded just because the CC didn't including it when they compiled the Bible.

“GOD SO LOVED US”

Since: Aug 08

He Gave His SON,JESUS Christ

#492305 Nov 16, 2013
ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
Rose, I think you're misunderstanding Clay. He's not saying the NT is not divinely inspired. Of course he believes that it is!
The apostles did not author all the books directly. For instance, St. Mark was a disciple of St. Peter, and wasn't an eye witness. Likewise, St. Luke was a gentile and I believe a disciple of St. Paul. Do you have a study bible? They usually give this kind of information in the introduction to each book.
Yes,I know,..But I believe the,Apostles,are the,AUThors,Of the books,attributed to them ..
MARK was a,disciple of Jesus ..LUKE wrote,after ..We,all know,that .E interviewed people ..probably Mary ..to write the life of Our Lord,..

That's,not e argument REALLY.

He,told me the APOSTLES,DID NOT WRITE because,Jesus,did not tell them to..also that SOME of Paul was not Paul .

I put two of Clays,posts together ..just above that contradict each other ...

REGINA in questioning these,works,authenticity in order to outcome JG or Preston or me ...he is,casting doubt on the NT..

..And it's,bothered me for weeks ...

“GOD SO LOVED US”

Since: Aug 08

He Gave His SON,JESUS Christ

#492306 Nov 16, 2013
Liam wrote:
<quoted text>
I hope my posts aren't demeaning the Bible. Nothing could further from the truth. I just recognize a major difference in approach between the fundamental and us.
To us, the Gospel according to John, could have been written by his student and the validity wouldn't matter. Paul may have told Clement to write a letter to the Hebrews as many scholars argue. Therefore, unless Paul stood over Clement and directed every word, you'll be forced to admit that the Holy Spirit used Clement of Rome to write a book that's in the Bible.
If this is true, then Clements other epistles can't be completely disregarded just because the CC didn't including it when they compiled the Bible.
But your Church and my bible,Credit the AUTHOR Clay .....it's,Johns,Gospel....not the EarlyFathers,...John was inspired ..
Did he pen every word ...the job of a scribe if used WAS TO BE ABSOLUTELY ACCURATE TO EACH WORD ..not to put in their own words ..

You have cast doubt and its not good
.it gives fodder to.unbelievers ...And calls,rose who read the gospels,into question when THRY name the author ...You don't see that??

It's not Vlrnt or Ignatius in the Canon ...And if it was it should say so.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 1 min RiversideRedneck 63,566
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 6 min another viewer 973,722
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 24 min WasteWater 106,482
Play "end of the word" part 2 (Dec '15) 38 min WasteWater 2,570
You are of your father......THE DEVIL. 40 min WasteWater 22
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 1 hr New Age Spiritual... 618,731
Carly Carrigan, you may all know her from Famil... (Jul '11) 1 hr Hogguy1947 64
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 6 hr Pegasus 281,845
More from around the web