Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 693425 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Since: Jul 08

Columbus, OH

#492300 Nov 16, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
Re: Is There One Correct Madhab???
I understand your confusion. Its so hard to try to understand all these different words and phrases and what they mean. No mahab is better then the other. A madhab is just the opinions of certain scholars and built upon by their students and students students. Hanifi madhab started by Abu hanifia, Hanbali started by ibn Hanbal, maliki by imam Malik, etc. Some mathab have died out and no one practices them anymore, but the main four are Hanifi which is the biggest, Shafi, Maliki, and Hanbali which is the smallest.
Re: Is There One Correct Madhab???
http://forums.islamicawakening.com/f20/is-the...
You're on the wrong thread, June.

Maybe you were looking for the "Why my Religion's Founder Was a Pedophile" thread.
ReginaM

Toms River, NJ

#492301 Nov 16, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok .Regina,..are the bible scriptures,indeed from.the apostles,and,Paul ??
If you have read any of my posts,to Clay ...I'm.NOT putting down your Church..just contesting what he has been inferring for a month now,.
If a,priest is,doing a reading..names the author ..is,He telling the truth ..I always,assumed He was .
If you all now have no legal study ..is there some.secret dogmas about authenticity ..
Rose, I think you're misunderstanding Clay. He's not saying the NT is not divinely inspired. Of course he believes that it is!
The apostles did not author all the books directly. For instance, St. Mark was a disciple of St. Peter, and wasn't an eye witness. Likewise, St. Luke was a gentile and I believe a disciple of St. Paul. Do you have a study bible? They usually give this kind of information in the introduction to each book.
ReginaM

Toms River, NJ

#492302 Nov 16, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
Ten why do you keep posting that they are,not written because,Jesus,did not tell them to write ..or that they did not write,them.
That's,my point ..IT IS,GENUINE,...
Your posts,has cast doubt on them ...several times..while lauding Ignatius,..for weeks now,
And I really don't get why ..unless,as you just posted,to confound the,preachers,herd ...
Rose, Jesus didn't tell anyone to write anything down. He commissioned them to *preach*....Oral Tradition.

I'll quote the Catechism because it does a much better job of explaining than I can:

PART ONE
THE PROFESSION OF FAITH
SECTION ONE
"I BELIEVE" - "WE BELIEVE"

CHAPTER TWO
GOD COMES TO MEET MAN

ARTICLE 2
THE TRANSMISSION OF DIVINE REVELATION
I. THE APOSTOLIC TRADITION

75 "Christ the Lord, in whom the entire Revelation of the most high God is summed up, commanded the apostles to preach the Gospel, which had been promised beforehand by the prophets, and which he fulfilled in his own person and promulgated with his own lips. In preaching the Gospel, they were to communicate the gifts of God to all men. This Gospel was to be the source of all saving truth and moral discipline."32

In the apostolic preaching...

76 In keeping with the Lord's command, the Gospel was handed on in two ways:

- orally "by the apostles who handed on, by the spoken word of their preaching, by the example they gave, by the institutions they established, what they themselves had received - whether from the lips of Christ, from his way of life and his works, or whether they had learned it at the prompting of the Holy Spirit";33

- in writing "by those apostles and other men associated with the apostles who, under the inspiration of the same Holy Spirit, committed the message of salvation to writing".34
http://www.scborromeo.org/ccc/p1s1c2a2.htm

“GOD SO LOVED US”

Since: Aug 08

He Gave His SON,JESUS Christ

#492303 Nov 16, 2013
Liam wrote:
<quoted text>
Whoa. The NT is genuine. Its the word of God. The Catholic Church shows more respect towards these writings than anyone I've ever seen.
This respect includes not putting a false label on them or forgetting where they came from.
CLAY ..

"Liam"]
Exactly. This poses a major problem for Preston, Confrint and old gee.
If some of the NT wasn't actually written by the Apostles, but written by their Disciples, then you guys are even more reckless for excluding the other writings of their Disciples. Like the epistle of Clement or Ignatius. Here you have a gold mine of insight into the minds of people who sat, ate and slept near Paul and Peter. They fortify what was actually taught by their writings. Yet, since its too catholic for ya, you choose to ignore it and follow one of the many thousands of paper popes?? Makes no sense to a sincere Christian.

YOU are contradicting yourself here ..that's,what I'm.trying to show you ....I AND MY FELLOW,BORN AGAIN S,..BELIEVE THE MR is,Genuine ..

I'm not sure EHAT you think...by your posts,...

You said last week.

The Apostles,did not write ..because JESUS,did NOT TELL them to ...which made no sense at all ...He,also did not say speak Egyptian....
You revere Ignatius but say Peter did not AUTHOR his,words ...
Liam

Detroit, MI

#492304 Nov 16, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
Ten why do you keep posting that they are,not written because,Jesus,did not tell them to write ..or that they did not write,them.
That's,my point ..IT IS,GENUINE,...
Your posts,has cast doubt on them ...several times..while lauding Ignatius,..for weeks now,
And I really don't get why ..unless,as you just posted,to confound the,preachers,herd ...
I hope my posts aren't demeaning the Bible. Nothing could further from the truth. I just recognize a major difference in approach between the fundamental and us.
To us, the Gospel according to John, could have been written by his student and the validity wouldn't matter. Paul may have told Clement to write a letter to the Hebrews as many scholars argue. Therefore, unless Paul stood over Clement and directed every word, you'll be forced to admit that the Holy Spirit used Clement of Rome to write a book that's in the Bible.
If this is true, then Clements other epistles can't be completely disregarded just because the CC didn't including it when they compiled the Bible.

“GOD SO LOVED US”

#492305 Nov 16, 2013
ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
Rose, I think you're misunderstanding Clay. He's not saying the NT is not divinely inspired. Of course he believes that it is!
The apostles did not author all the books directly. For instance, St. Mark was a disciple of St. Peter, and wasn't an eye witness. Likewise, St. Luke was a gentile and I believe a disciple of St. Paul. Do you have a study bible? They usually give this kind of information in the introduction to each book.
Yes,I know,..But I believe the,Apostles,are the,AUThors,Of the books,attributed to them ..
MARK was a,disciple of Jesus ..LUKE wrote,after ..We,all know,that .E interviewed people ..probably Mary ..to write the life of Our Lord,..

That's,not e argument REALLY.

He,told me the APOSTLES,DID NOT WRITE because,Jesus,did not tell them to..also that SOME of Paul was not Paul .

I put two of Clays,posts together ..just above that contradict each other ...

REGINA in questioning these,works,authenticity in order to outcome JG or Preston or me ...he is,casting doubt on the NT..

..And it's,bothered me for weeks ...

“GOD SO LOVED US”

#492306 Nov 16, 2013
Liam wrote:
<quoted text>
I hope my posts aren't demeaning the Bible. Nothing could further from the truth. I just recognize a major difference in approach between the fundamental and us.
To us, the Gospel according to John, could have been written by his student and the validity wouldn't matter. Paul may have told Clement to write a letter to the Hebrews as many scholars argue. Therefore, unless Paul stood over Clement and directed every word, you'll be forced to admit that the Holy Spirit used Clement of Rome to write a book that's in the Bible.
If this is true, then Clements other epistles can't be completely disregarded just because the CC didn't including it when they compiled the Bible.
But your Church and my bible,Credit the AUTHOR Clay .....it's,Johns,Gospel....not the EarlyFathers,...John was inspired ..
Did he pen every word ...the job of a scribe if used WAS TO BE ABSOLUTELY ACCURATE TO EACH WORD ..not to put in their own words ..

You have cast doubt and its not good
.it gives fodder to.unbelievers ...And calls,rose who read the gospels,into question when THRY name the author ...You don't see that??

It's not Vlrnt or Ignatius in the Canon ...And if it was it should say so.
Liam

Detroit, MI

#492307 Nov 16, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes,I know,..But I believe the,Apostles,are the,AUThors,Of the books,attributed to them ..
MARK was a,disciple of Jesus ..LUKE wrote,after ..We,all know,that .E interviewed people ..probably Mary ..to write the life of Our Lord,..
He,told me the APOSTLES,DID NOT WRITE because,Jesus,did not tell them to..also that SOME of Paul was not Paul .
REGINA in questioning these,works,authenticity in order to outcome JG or Preston or me ...he is,casting doubt on the NT..
Yeah, I don't believe Jesus told the Apostle to write a Bible. If Our Lord did, then all of the Apostle would have wrote, and the ones that did, would have done so sooner than 55 AD and with much more detail..

And no I'm not casting doubt on the NT. Its the inspired word of God. Period.
But certain facts mess up the fundie ideology. The letter to the Hebrews has no official author. Could it be Clement or Ignatius??
Truth

Leesburg, VA

#492308 Nov 16, 2013
OldJG wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you understand how un-Biblical your teaching on baptism is?
Might I ask, why was Jesus baptized?
<quoted text>
You never answered the question. Why was Jesus baptized?
Jesus was baptized to fulfill all righteousness....
Liam

Detroit, MI

#492309 Nov 16, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
But your Church and my bible,Credit the AUTHOR Clay .....it's,Johns,Gospel....not the EarlyFathers,...John was inspired ..
Did he pen every word ...the job of a scribe if used WAS TO BE ABSOLUTELY ACCURATE TO EACH WORD ..not to put in their own words ..
You have cast doubt and its not good
.it gives fodder to.unbelievers ...And calls,rose who read the gospels,into question when THRY name the author ...You don't see that??
It's not Vlrnt or Ignatius in the Canon ...And if it was it should say so.
It comes down to how the Bible should be viewed. We both rightfully agree its the word of God. Right?
The fundie takes that title to a level that its not intended for. You guys think God whispered every word and punctuation mark. That's why I suspect you people of idolatry.
No matter what, the Bible needed an outside source to stand up and say,'these writings are the inspired word of God'. The bible didn't come with a list of Books that belong in it.

“Pass the sunscreen”

Since: May 11

Location hidden

#492310 Nov 16, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
You must be relating in a favorable way to what I post.
If not, you would be giving me a sermon on how evil I am and how (if only I would see the light the way you see it) you could lead me to walk the path, first to your owned knowledge, and then, in turn to a state of "holiness."
:)
I don't give sermons, but I do like teaching ladies a thing or two.
Truth

Leesburg, VA

#492311 Nov 16, 2013
OldJG wrote:
OldJG wrote:
Please, keep it coming. God is using you.
<quoted text>
You are doing it again. Thank you.
Did you know when people are trained to find counterfeit money they do not study the counterfeit. Oh no. They actually study the legally printed money and thereby can easily spot a counterfeit. This practice also works with Christianity. The only way we can know the counterfeit is to know the real thing. Thanks again.
<quoted text>
Wow, thanks again. More revelations. Your words reveal what is counterfeit based on what those born again know as absolute truth.
Matthew 24:24, "For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect."
The elect? Those born again. Not those baptized. As all know, baptism cannot save. Only Jesus saves. If baptism could save us why did Jesus go to the cross and shed His precious blood?
<quoted text>
Your statement reveals your counterfeit Christianity. Sad.
<quoted text>
1 Peter 3:21

21 and this water symbolizes baptism that NOW saves you also—not the removal of dirt from the body but the pledge of a clear conscience toward God. It saves you by the resurrection of Jesus Christ,

We are baptized INTO the DEATH, BURIAL and RESURRECTION of Jesus Christ.....It SAVES you by the resurrection of Jesus Christ.....

By the working of God.....

Colossians 2:12

12 having been BURIED with him in baptism, in which you were ALSO RAISED with him through your faith in the <<<working of God,>>> who raised him from the dead.
ReginaM

Toms River, NJ

#492312 Nov 16, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
Rose, as I've shown you, the Apostles did not write all the Gospels. Only St. Matthew and St. John were Apostles.

And St. Mark was a disciple of St. Peter and NOT an eyewitness of Christ's public ministry. His primary source of information was St. Peter.

I'm sorry, but I don't see where Clay is casting doubt on the NT. This information is well known and readily available. It in no way means that the NT books were not inspired. You're making much ado about nothing.

Another point to remember is that the Early Church Fathers were disciples of the Apostles; they learned the faith directly from them and were usually ordained by them. St. Ignatius of Antioch, for example, was a student of Sts. Peter and Paul and ordained Bishop of Antioch by them. Sacred Tradition does NOT contradict Sacred Scripture.

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 53:1.--6 "MATT 10:27"

#492313 Nov 16, 2013
who="ReginaM" <quoted text> (to Rose)

Rose, Jesus didn't tell anyone to write anything down. He commissioned them to *preach*....Oral Tradition.

----------
Rev 1:10 I was in the Spirit on the Lord's day, and heard behind me a great voice, as of a trumpet,
Rev 1:11 Saying, I am Alpha and Omega (Jesus), the first and the last: and, What thou seest, WRITE IN A BOOK, and send it unto the seven churches which are in Asia; unto Ephesus, and unto Smyrna, and unto Pergamos, and unto Thyatira, and unto Sardis, and unto Philadelphia, and unto Laodicea.

He had just said,'blessed is he that READS the word of this prophecy', so obviously, reading was not 'strange' to them.

KayMarie
June VanDerMark

Since: Sep 09

Dawson Creek, Canada

#492315 Nov 16, 2013
Wacky theology

"GOD TO EARTH ... pick up your line."

"Hello ... this is Augustine speaking."

"You are just the one I wanted to hear answering the phone. This is Jehovah here?"

"I don't speak to Jehovah ... I speak to the god who loves Catholics."

"And where will you find this god."

"In Catholic heaven."

"I am the ONLY Abrahamic GOD in the sky. And YOU, Augustine are blaspheming in MY name. How dare you pretend that there is any other god than me. You will PAY for this, as I will take it out of your earthly WILL and put it back into MY all-encompassing WILL ... where it always belonged."
June VanDerMark

Since: Sep 09

Dawson Creek, Canada

#492316 Nov 16, 2013
Maverick 808 wrote:
<quoted text>I don't give sermons, but I do like teaching ladies a thing or two.
OH OH!!!

I'm hoping you are a lesbian, because I am NOT.

ReginaM

Toms River, NJ

#492317 Nov 16, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
who="ReginaM" <quoted text> (to Rose)
----------
Rev 1:10 I was in the Spirit on the Lord's day, and heard behind me a great voice, as of a trumpet,
Rev 1:11 Saying, I am Alpha and Omega (Jesus), the first and the last: and, What thou seest, WRITE IN A BOOK, and send it unto the seven churches which are in Asia; unto Ephesus, and unto Smyrna, and unto Pergamos, and unto Thyatira, and unto Sardis, and unto Philadelphia, and unto Laodicea.
He had just said,'blessed is he that READS the word of this prophecy', so obviously, reading was not 'strange' to them.
KayMarie
Sorry, Kay, but that only applies to The Book of Revelation given in a vision. And the inclusion in the canon of The Book of Revelation was highly disputed. As I said, Christ never told the Apostles or anyone to write anything down. His commission was to PREACH.

As for reading...most people of that time could not read or write. I'm afraid that's a well known fact. It's simply reality.

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

"ISA 53:1.--6 "MATT 10:27"

#492318 Nov 16, 2013
who="OldJG" OldJG wrote:
Please, keep it coming. God is using you.
<quoted text>
You are doing it again. Thank you.
Did you know when people are trained to find counterfeit money they do not study the counterfeit. Oh no. They actually study the legally printed money and thereby can easily spot a counterfeit. This practice also works with Christianity. The only way we can know the counterfeit is to know the real thing. Thanks again.
<quoted text>
Wow, thanks again. More revelations. Your words reveal what is counterfeit based on what those born again know as absolute truth.
Matthew 24:24, "For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect."
The elect? Those born again. Not those baptized. As all know, baptism cannot save. Only Jesus saves. If baptism could save us why did Jesus go to the cross and shed His precious blood?
<quoted text>
Your statement reveals your counterfeit Christianity. Sad.
<quoted text>

----------
Jesus was baptized (He said)'to fulfill all righteousness'. He was not baptized to wash away sin...He didn't have any.

Mat 3:13 Then came Jesus from Galilee to Jordan unto John, to be baptized of him.
Mat 3:14 But John forbad him, saying, I have need to be baptized of thee, and come you to me?
Mat 3:15 And Jesus answering said unto him, Suffer it to be so now: for thus it becomes us to fulfil all righteousness

KayMarie

Location hidden

#492319 Nov 16, 2013
atemcowboy wrote:
Saturday, February 24, 2007
Can Your Name Be Blotted Out?
“He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels.” Revelation 3:5
Can you be lost after you have been saved? Can your name be blotted out of the book of life? Yes.
Jesus spoke to the church in Sardis that to those who “overcometh”, their names would not be blotted out of the book of life.
First of all, what is the book of life? It is a book that is in heaven where all the names of the redeemed, or those who have been saved from sin by Jesus Christ. Revelation 12 through 15 reads the following:“And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works. And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works. And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death. And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.” From that, it is very apparent that your name will have to be written in the book of life in order to make it into heaven.
If the name is in there, it can also be blotted out, which simply means no longer there. Revelation 3:5 which is given above signifies this can happen. Moses knew it was possible when he prayed the following in Exodus 32:31 and 32,“Oh, this people have sinned a great sin, and have made them gods of gold. Yet now, if thou wilt forgive their sin—; and if not, blot me, I pray thee, out of thy book which thou hast written.” God’s answer was the following in verse 33:“33 And the LORD said unto Moses, Whosoever hath sinned against me, him will I blot out of my book.” So now we know that Moses, God, Christ, and the Apostle John who wrote the book of Revelation knew that names could be removed, or blotted out of the book of life. From these scriptures, we learn that when a name is blotted out of the book of life, a soul is damned and headed for hell unless there is repentance. This is not popular doctrine but is correct and biblical. Yet millions of people are taught that all they have to do is pray a simple prayer, get baptized and they’re in for life no matter what. I’m sorry but that’s a lie from hell!
Let’s look at John 10:27-28.“My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me: And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.” No man can pluck Christ’s sheep out of his hand. That’s right, no one can cause you to lose your soul. However, there is also a condition and it’s found in verse 27 and that is that they hear his voice and they follow him.
Lets look at another popular scripture.“For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, Nor height, nor de The verses speak for themselves.
http://rapurdy.blogspot.com/2007/02/can-your-...
edited for space

And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.

My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand.

That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

No ifs ands or buts......
shall never perish...no man is able to pluck them out of His hand...shalt be saved....

“GOD SO LOVED US”

#492320 Nov 16, 2013
ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll quote the Catechism because it does a much better job of explaining than I can:
PART ONE
THE PROFESSION OF FAITH
SECTION ONE
"I BELIEVE" - "WE BELIEVE"
CHAPTER TWO
GOD COMES TO MEET MAN
ARTICLE 2
THE TRANSMISSION OF DIVINE REVELATION
I. THE APOSTOLIC TRADITION
75 "Christ the Lord, in whom the entire Revelation of the most high God is summed up, commanded the apostles to preach the Gospel, which had been promised beforehand by the prophets, and which he fulfilled in his own person and promulgated with his own lips. In preaching the Gospel, they were to communicate the gifts of God to all men. This Gospel was to be the source of all saving truth and moral discipline."32
In the apostolic preaching...
76 In keeping with the Lord's command, the Gospel was handed on in two ways:
- orally "by the apostles who handed on, by the spoken word of their preaching, by the example they gave, by the institutions they established, what they themselves had received - whether from the lips of Christ, from his way of life and his works, or whether they had learned it at the prompting of the Holy Spirit";33
- in writing "by those apostles and other men associated with the apostles who, under the inspiration of the same Holy Spirit, committed the message of salvation to writing".34

http://www.scborromeo.org/ccc/p1s1c2a2.htm
As in NOT,he point .

Do you not get that secularists,think.Constantine, priests,made up.the,whole,scriptures,..

Either we believe JOHN wrote,or in last year's,dictated his,words,or ..some monk.in a basement did .

Now,from their work it's,obvious,at first ..aside from letters to the Churches ...they may not have felt a,need to publish the,story

And,aa in we have no idea,what WRITUNGS,were burned up in Judea,in 70 AD....the,atheists,say there,was no current writing ..it may not have survived ..But th as,another point .

How,do we,KNOW,Jesus,in life,or in inspiration...did,NOT ELL HEM TO WRITE,(it's,nit in their writing??+'catch 22 there,)
They though t he'd be back in their lifetime ..AT SOME POINT THE LORD Saud,Write it down for posterity ...Matthew may have Bern taking notes,all along..who knows ..putting it all in his,gospel.later .

Again not the point .

He,Gospel of John is,HIS,gospel..whether written or dictated ..PETRS,disciple may HAVR Bern questioning him for years...
As,Luke questioned the actual disciples and family of Jesus .
Paul may have dictated to Timothy

But if I go into a CC ...And the priest says his is the,Gospel of John .i want to know,HE believes it is,just that ...JOHNS,words,...

And Clay is throwing theses,other folks in

Is it Clements,gospel...John Marks,words,..or Peters,..

If he,cannot see tis is more than a,GOTCHA to Old,G ...to cast doubt on Scripture ..well that's,my point..And it's,doing your Church a,disservice ..SagIttarius,is,authentic but John may not be ..

Can't you see that ..

See you all later

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 6 min Tellthetruth 992,263
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 7 min Bongo 52,709
Allah is Satan hiding behind the name 31 min Holy Pipek 39
shuh up meathead! 56 min Laughing Out Loud... 2
Trump Is Playing Mr. Grinch with Renewable Energy 1 hr Poster Child for ... 18
Skype gay sex (Dec '14) 1 hr austin5410 31
Poll Have you ever secretly sniffed a woman's panties (Apr '09) 2 hr alexro 31
More from around the web